StrawberrySmiles

The Talking Fruit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I made the title kind of vague because otherwise, I wouldn't have much to mention in the body. XD

How strange, or jarring, would it be playing the "safe areas" (like towns) in the typical top-down view, then when entering a dungeon, everything is first-person?

In my game, I plan to have one "hub" and then one "dungeon".

Cezar_cr

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Pt
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ambitious.
Not sure I've seen sth quite like that, but I remember playing COntra III on the SNES and there different levels, like your usual 2d platformer, then a top down view and if memory doesn't fail, a racing level. It was pretty cool and less tiresome.

WaywardMartian

Is sometimes a giant bee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Doesn't seem weird to me. I've played games that did that before.

gabrieldiastche

Gabriel Dias
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's completely fine to do that, don't worry...

One of my favorite games do something similar (Persona series)

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It was EXACTLY the winning point of Phantasy Star (the first).
People claimed for the same mechanic for sequels, but the system was dropped for a lack of cartridge space.

Also, a number of first person dungeon crawlers have dialogue/exploration sessions in a different perspective, is not a strange or unusual thing, while not "main stream".

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Like Dororo said... I mean, that's the original Phantasy Star. I can see keeping towns menu-based like Wizardry and Etrian Odyssey, or making all but shops and what-not into a dungeon like The Bard's Tale 1~3. Who's to say that overhead towns and first-person dungeons can't work?

Heck, your concept is akin to how the cities in The Bard's Tale games did it too: the town itself was a hub, whether or not your dungeons would be directly linked to the city or within it. Strawberry, I think your idea is sound.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Reminds me of Torchlight or Ehrgeiz. I only played a little Torchlight but I believe it had a base town and a big dungeon you went through.
Also try out Ehrgeiz. It was a fun little fighter on PS1 but it also had an FF inspired RPG game in it that had a tiny town and one long dungeon to trounce through.
So that definitely is a concept that can work if done right.

h0tWalker

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Honestly, nothing is weird in terms of these formats when it comes to games. Even the worst combos can be great if put together correctly. A lot of games have hubs as either top down or an image where you just click on buildings and have a sort of visual novel approach to town interactions. Then the dungeons can be all from first person, third person, top down and so on. There is no right or wrong, and i believe you'll pull it off perfectly for your project. Hope to get a glimpse in the future of what is to come! :D

duty

Keepin' it simple
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Doesn't seem too weird, at all. Gives me a classic Wizardry vibe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Haired slime? Trying some different styles of art. Maybe I can make some resources with this new kind of painting.......
i love my game very much
Uh, I'm probably overthinking this, but I think that some of my music sounds kinda...bad?
The melodies are just sort of awkward, and don't flow.
I'm really not sure what to do. Why am I even worrying about this? I don't even have a battle system yet!
And the Lord said, let there be lighting effects! And there were lighting effects! And it was good...ish? Might tweak this some more.
Today was a day of good things! Thank you fate! I pray to the darkness that those that read this will enjoy a good day as well! Power to the gam mak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rubbun