Would you buy it?

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by Name, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Name

Name Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Would you purchase an educational rpg game? I am working on a demo for a math based rpg game for 1st grade thru 3rd grade.Do you think this is a good idea?

aqua and Leon Kennedy like this.
  2. Leon Kennedy

Leon Kennedy Restaff Novice Restaff

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I wouldn't really have a reason atm being that I don't have kids but if I did it sounds like a good idea. 

3. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I don't think I'd buy it, because I don't have any kids either and I'm a bit too old for 1st-3rd grade math :p I might give it a chance depending on your story/gameplay though.

It might be interesting to check some educational games out and read their reviews. There's at least two math games made with rpg maker on Steam (Mathoria and Calcu-Late).  

Susan and mlogan like this.
  4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've actually toyed with doing the same thing, but for college level mathematics. As fro me, I have no need for a game that does 1st - 3rd grade, but I'm sure there's a market for it out there somewhere.

5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've moved this thread to Commercial RPGMaker Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

6. m4uesviecr

m4uesviecr Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It depends on who you market it to. Get it polished and seek out educational institutions, Board of Education leaders, education websites (promotes), and you're bound to find someone that will be interested in it (though hopefully at a modest price).

The market for educational games is there. I worked in an elementary school that had a math game that was basically a dungeon crawler and the kids were gaga for it.

7. IamGilgamesh

IamGilgamesh Game Developer - Rapper Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Maybe if I had kids, but I like the idea. I like education entertainment as long as the entertainment aspect isn't sacrificed in the name of the educational part.

8. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Personally? No, I have no kids in need of such a thing, my kid sister seems to be doing fine with schoolwork in the area and I have no such need being well past that level of math. Due to the grade level of mathematics that puts you at kids and educators of kids as an audience. 

One area that this makes me think of as a possibility is for homeschooling of children. You see stuff like this which promotes teaching and learning online through games:

https://www.abcmouse.com/landing/brand:goog?gclid=CLrC39_hoc8CFYwkhgoddBAI0Q

You could even set up your own site with your education styled games for use as learning tools or enhancements to existing curriculum and teaching methods.

I think it would have to be more of a market you cultivate and find though; much more so than normal.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  9. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, I don't think this is the best place to ask. While there are a fair few of us here with children, we are by no means the majority. So, this isn't really a place with your target audience.

I do think with the right marketing, if the game is a good one and intriguing enough to children, then yes it could do well. But again, I don't think you'll get the response you were hoping for here.

10. RishigangiX

RishigangiX Professional Procrastinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Maybe in about 8-9 years.. :D

But I support the idea, and like most of the others have already said, I'm sure you will do fine as long as you do your marketing right and target the right audience.

11. Golden Unicorn Gaming

Golden Unicorn Gaming Savior of Astoria Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I have a 4 year old but the market is extremely saturated with this kind of stuff as it is, and nearly all of these apps are free for iphones and ipads and already have Nick Jr. and Disney characters... it'd be a super uphill battle for you IMO

Luke

Artificer likes this.
  12. rue669

rue669 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    That's a tough market to get into.

From what I know about selling children's books, the marketing is really about the parents and not the children themselves. That is, would the parents buy this for their kids. Next, would the kid actually want to sit there and play an educational RPG. 

I think it's a cool idea and there's no harm in maybe testing it out with something small. Do maybe an hour long game that is educational and test the product for marketability. Why not? Do some research in different forums and websites about kids' education programs. 

13. cavemanK

cavemanK Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Try contacting school boards and private game/computer science education institutions! Like other people have been saying, your market is definitely between educators, kids, and parents of kids around those ages. 

I still remember lots of the "educational" games I played as a kid (Math Circus, Math Blaster, Cross Country Canada, Magic School Bus: Dinosaurs, etc...) very fondly, and have made an effort to collect and replay them whenever possible. What I have noticed playing them as an adult is that the educational games I remember most are those that refused to sacrifice the depth and quality of the game mechanics for the sake of teaching the player something. If I could suggest anything while undertaking a game like this, it would be to make sure players are learning through playing, and not playing to learn. 

...if that makes any sense