Would you buy this?

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by miracalious, May 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miracalious

miracalious Warper Member

Hi, I'm brand new to the forums so I hope I'm posting this in the right spot. I've spent some time working on a game created with RMVX Ace. I call it "Beer Quest." 

You can view a four minute trailer of it here:

Beer Quest is a humorous RPG with locations and plot elements borrowed from FF1 and combat elements reminiscent of FF4. Most of the art is derived from FF6, and taken from various sources around the internet. It has 15 playable characters, each with very unique abilities.

Right now it takes the average player about 3.5 to 4.5 hours to complete. I'd say it's 35% - 40% of what I would expect from a full-scale indie RPG. I'm at a point where I've got a good grasp on what I'm doing and I could keep going with it and probably finish it in another 6-12 months or so.

However, I feel that it's not worthwhile to continue work on it unless there is some level of profit involved. If I ever want to sell the game commercially I would certainly need to redo everything that I couldn't get permission to use - probably most of the art, the sound, and the music - so that no intellectual property is stolen. I also realize that doing some kind of FF fan game is likely a waste time and nobody will want to play that, let alone pay money for it.

So my question is... is it worth it? Would you pay $5 or so for a complete game like this on steam, why or why not?

Or am I better off just giving up now with most of my sanity intact?

Thanks.

2. CriticalGames

CriticalGames Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think it looks very good! Swapping out the art assets would be a massive task, but your overall mapping looked great. I can't really tell you if it's worth your time or not, but all the pieces seem to be there for a great 16-bit style RPG! =) I'm not sure if I'd buy it myself (between retro titles and my own games, I play enough RPGs =P), but based on what I can see I think it'd be absolutely worth $5 or $10.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2015
  3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    First off, you cannot build your business plan on the basis that you will get on Steam.  You might, you might not.  A lot don't.

You clearly have a sound grasp of mapping, and there were a number of interesting mechanics there (e.g. that elevator going down, new sections of map appearing etc.), so it looks like you have the abilities for that side.  What cannot be determined from a video like that is - is there enough of a game if you strip out (as you must) all the FF stuff?  Does the game rely on that nostalgia kick to keep it going?  In other words, can you convert this from a fan game to a stand alone game which is worthy in its own right?  The question you ask in your OP cannot be answered honestly until there is a game to play.  We've all seen great trailers,, where the game then sucks.

The price you suggest is fine, maybe even a little low for the projected length of the game - if the game is a quality one.

Just a heads up - this sub-forum is for completed games which have been released commercially, not for partial games which might go commercial.

4. seita

seita Donn_M Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'd have to echo what ksjp just said. It looks great but I attribute it to the nostalgia from seeing so much FF6 and FF6-based graphics. It doesn't help that the layouts of many of the maps seem to be taken directly from FF6. Once you strip all of it out and put in custom graphics or use graphic packs, it'll lose the edge that makes this trailer very enticing.

I have to ask why is it called beer quest? From the trailer, I don't see any beer aside from the occasional glass in the pubs.

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I could have sworn this was posted in Commercial Discussion. Commercial Game Releases is for completed games that have been released commercially. Moving to discussion forum.

6. miracalious

Excellent feedback from everyone, thanks for that:

============================================================

Awesome. I've not had a lot of encouragement to keep going, so I'm glad to know I'm at least sort of on the right track. And I definitely agree that it would be a massive task, but then so was putting it all together in the first place, so definitely not impossible. It's also good to know that $5-$10 is likely price range to shoot for.

Very good point. I think if it failed to make the cut right away I wouldn't give up on it, but I'll keep this in mind.

Very good.

Yeah, and unfortunately I think the answer to this question right now is probably "no." However, I do think it's very close and with some work and adding in more fresh mechanics it's certainly doable over time.

Actually, the layouts are mostly original, or created in FF1's image if anything (although the graphics are mostly tiles from FF6). But you're absolutely right, there is some nostalgia at play here. I do think that if I were to overhaul the graphics that I could do it in basically the same style without stealing any intellectual property and preserve the nostalgia factor, but it would take a ton of time.

I'm guilty of not directly representing the beer at any point, although there are a lot of barrels and bottles. This would obviously need to be worked on. Beer is mentioned a lot in the dialogue, but this may need to be worked on as well.

========================================================

I'm still on the fence about going back and overhauling everything, but either way I'm glad I got this far - I learned a ton of stuff that can only be gleaned by actually getting your hands dirty and trying to finish a big project like this. Either way I definitely intend to keep making games like this in the future.

As for the topic location, I thought I posted it here: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/forum/48-early-project-feedback/ (not sure if that's commercial or not) but feel free to move it wherever is best.

7. BCj

BCj Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm pretty sure I spot some FFVI tiles in there, if that's the case, you can't even sell it if you wanted to..

8. miracalious

Yeah, just remembered, 2-3 areas were pretty unchanged. You got me.

9. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Not at the moment, no.  Fan games and use of rips are a big turn off for me so you'd have to get rid of that to the point where you couldn't tell it used to be a fan game before I'd look at it.

10. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You definitely didn't post it in early project feedback.

And yes, if your game has ripped resources, you absolutely can't sell it. You shouldn't even be giving it away.

On that note, and considering you've had a fair bit of feedback, I'm going to go ahead and close this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.