WyattTheSkid

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm gonna TRY to keep this one short and sweet but this is me we're talking about so I probably won't Basically, to summarize. I love rpgmaker inside and out. It's straightforward, it's easy to learn, and it all just kind of makes sense if you know what I mean. And ON TOP of that, you're not restricted to a top down rtp disaster either. tldr its great. Love it. Mwah. Love yall over at degica of kadokawa corperation or whoever owns the licensing to rpgmaker anymore idk but anyways, I grew up playing xenoblade. That game was my life. Not definitive the wii one. The battle system and the music that played during battles and the whole atmosphere of the battles was ****ing amazing and it just felt so.. cool? thats the best way to describe it honestly. As far as making tons of sprites and individual status animations, that I dont mind and I know that will be necessary so dont let that be a reason to discourage my idea I'm totally down to earth with that. Basically I would like to do something similar to xenoblade's battle system in my game. While also being rendered in 3d that part is extremely important. But anyways yeah everyone heres a video for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about: Any ideas, help, input etc is greatly appreciated! thank you everyone for your time :)

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First of all, MZ3D is not active on the battle scene, only the map scene. So you're looking for a complete battle system overhaul and an extensive upgrade to MZ3D to allow for 3D battles. For free. In a request forum. You have to realize how unlikely either of those things are to happen.

Without having played Xenoblade, from what I can tell from the video you linked, the actual battle system looks mostly like a 3D version of a linear Motion Battle System, which Moghunter has a plugin for. I'm not sure if that particular one has been ported to work in MZ or not,though.

If I were in your shoes, I'd set my sights a little lower on what you're trying to achieve here. RPGMaker isn't a 3d engine, by any stretch of the imagination, and the kind of undertaking it would be to generate anything even close to this in engine would not be something someone would randomly decide to do on a whim for some random guy's request on the forum. Assuming it could even be done in the first place, the amount of work required to pull something off like this would be huge, and whoever made it would be far better off spending their time and skills making plugins for paying customers.

WyattTheSkid

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
First of all, MZ3D is not active on the battle scene, only the map scene. So you're looking for a complete battle system overhaul and an extensive upgrade to MZ3D to allow for 3D battles. For free. In a request forum. You have to realize how unlikely either of those things are to happen.

Without having played Xenoblade, from what I can tell from the video you linked, the actual battle system looks mostly like a 3D version of a linear Motion Battle System, which Moghunter has a plugin for. I'm not sure if that particular one has been ported to work in MZ or not,though.

If I were in your shoes, I'd set my sights a little lower on what you're trying to achieve here. RPGMaker isn't a 3d engine, by any stretch of the imagination, and the kind of undertaking it would be to generate anything even close to this in engine would not be something someone would randomly decide to do on a whim for some random guy's request on the forum. Assuming it could even be done in the first place, the amount of work required to pull something off like this would be huge, and whoever made it would be far better off spending their time and skills making plugins for paying customers.
I never said it had to be free. If someone's willing to do this for me I'm ready to throw money at them.
I understand stuff like that is a lot of work I would never expect someone to do that for me for free.

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Even still, I've made some pretty sizeable plugins in my day, and something like this is several times more complicated than everything I've made put together for sure.

This requests forum is for (usually?) small plugin requests, usually the kind that multiple people find useful, and for free. There is a paid commissions forum where you're a lot more likely to find someone to make something this massive, for pay of course.

Since you didn't mention it in the OP, and you're posting in the request forum, it is generally a safe assumption by any reader that this is non-paid work, which really lowers your chances of finding someone to do it.

As I said in my reply, you're much better off lowering your expectations, and making due with 2d plugins to approximate your desired battle system. 3D in MZ is a novelty. The engine was not designed with it in mind, and at a certain point, you'd be better off making your project in something like Unity instead of rpgmaker, to save a lot of headaches and incompatibilities, you know?

Just taking MZ3D into account, while installing it is fairly straightforward, getting it to run on maps requires you to do a bunch of extra setup on your tilesets, and then design your maps in a very specific way around the plugin to get it to look right. Mapping goes from a 20-minutes per map rush job for a simple map, to a hour or more to tweak positioning of tiles, test-play to see how they look, and repeat. I can only imagine the amount of headache battle testing in 3D would be.

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Creating something like this with WebGL can be quite frustrating.

Not wanting to throw a bucket of cold water, but ...
If it existed we would already know. They've tried this since the RpgXP version.
In addition to all this, the important thing here is not the engine used, but who will produce the 3D graphics of the characters and scenarios.
There is no script that makes 3D graphics and scenarios in such detail.

If you are going to do something like this, I recommend using a system that is not Rpg Maker, with support for 3D that does not overheat the user's "hardware".
Try to change your perspective, otherwise you can get very frustrated, if you are going to make a game like this think about hiring a development team.

Sorry for my bad English.
Good luck

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A side story is almost getting into the next stage. Almost everything in this game has real-life references.
unfinishedbuildingwip1.jpg
Everyday life is full of absurdity. This is just a reflection.
TFW you discover how the script batching works in VNMaker... after you've had the program for almost 3 years.
hAx6iQ3.gif

Writes that the characters have to climb a mountain.

Realized that I have to draw six sets of models where characters are climbing.

At least I know how to draw something. :)
I'm currently scratching my head on how to design plains. What do I even put in plains? Some trees (but not too many or it turns into a forest)? Grass? A few bushes? That's a bit dull.
I'm looking for tutorials but Google didn't seem to find much (or maybe I have the wrong keywords). I don't know how to map plains and I don't know how to learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utotsu