XP Tileset collisions not working

Discussion in 'RPG Maker XP' started by Hyperly, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Hyperly

Hyperly Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I have tried fixing the Tileset collisions after they broke for some reason, and I read about how all the tilesets work. I tried copying and pasting an image of one of my tilesets and used it on one of my rooms but it still didn't work. The only collisions that work are Events, and Trees but thats all. (Also not to be rude but please don't say some stupid answer like "Then take the collisions from the trees and put them in the walls and stuff") That wont work either.

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not using XP myself, but whenever I heard about passability not working, the reason was that an invisible tile with the wrong passability had a higher priority than the tile that was intended to give the passability setting.

And the only solution that worked every time (as opposed to fixes that only worked for a few maps or people) was to use the base invisible upper tile at the top of the tileset to go over all critical spaces again - instead of using an invisible upper layer tile from a random position in the tileset for that purpose, because using a random tile from elsewhere was usually the cause of the problem.

If that advice doesn't help, then you'll need to give some screenshots of the tileset and the map if you want detailed help. Guessing what you might have done wrong based on text only isn't very effective...

3. Heretic86

Heretic86 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Engrish
    Do you have any scripts installed?

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    XP has 3 layers of tiles on the map.  Chances are you have drawn with a blank tile on a higher layer, and that is the passability that's being checked.

The roof tiles and tree tiles can be copied/pasted in a large block, but only a part of that block actually has images on the tiles - the rest are blank.  So if you DO copy the whole block and paste it, the empty tiles in the top corners are still there and they will be used for passage settings.

There are a couple of ways to find out if you've done this.  One is to edit your tileset, find ALL the "empty" tiles, and paint them in a color that will stand out.  Save it and re-open your map (if you haven't closed the editor, you'll need to go back to the Tileset in the database to see the new version of the tilesheet, and then go back to the map), and look for all tiles in that color.  Then use the top left tile, which is the 'erase' tile, to draw over them and get rid of them.

If that doesn't help, you'll need to be more descriptive about what's going on.  "Doesn't work" is the only information you've given us that's actually useful.  What does "doesn't work" mean?  Can you walk everywhere?  Can you walk nowhere?  Are there just SOME tiles that don't behave properly?  Is it just one map, or all maps?  As Andar said, screenshots will help out here, and highlight on them which areas have the problem and what the problem is in those areas.  Otherwise we're just guessing (which is all I've done above).

5. supercow

supercow Artist Veteran

First Language:
    indonesia
    passage : O= pass , X= cant pass on all direction

passage (4 dir) = you can adjust which path a tile wont be able to pass

or you have a tile that is blank (and had passage X) on one of the 3 layers

6. Hyperly

Hyperly Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The problem with the tilesets on the maps/rooms is that the player can walk through every tile for some reason, even with the X's on them or passages. And there are only a few tiles that have working collisions like the trees. all the maps/rooms are behaving properly with events and movement, its just the collisions thats the problem.

7. Hyperly

Hyperly Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I have the One player menu, and the One player battle system.

8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    We can't understand what you're talking about unless you show us screenshots.  And I already explained how you could have tiles with Xs on them but still be able to walk through them.   You haven't answered any of my questions - you've just said stuff you already said in the first post, which I have already read and understand.  

You haven't responded to any of the suggestions I made - did you try the things I said that will help you identify if what I said is the issue?

We don't care about the things that do work (movement and events) - we care about the things that don't work (collisions on the maps) but you need to answer our questions and do the things we suggest if you want us to help you get it working.

If you can't follow what we need and go through the steps, can you zip up your project (don't compress it - zip the actual project folders) and load it up to dropbox?  The steps I said aren't hard to do and they don't take a lot of time (unless you're using some stupidly huge tileset) - if you can't do it, and the tilesets are a reasonable size, I will do it for you.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2016
  9. supercow

supercow Artist Veteran

First Language:
    indonesia
    " player can walk through every tile for some reason "

perhaps you have blank O tiles in 2nd / 3rd layer that is NOT the very first tile .

only use first tile (upper far left) to have blank tiles on 2nd + 3rd that doesnt override all tiles .

" even with the X's on them or passages. "

yeah the 3rd layer O tiles (not first tile) will pass everything .

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2016
  10. Hyperly

Hyperly Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This is what the Passage part looks like, then

faill.png

faa.png

11. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm outta this one.  I've asked you several times to answer some questions and do a quick test and I've even offered to look at your project and do the work myself to help you figure it out.  You've completely ignored me.

So good luck.

Hyperly and Dymdez like this.
  12. Hyperly

Hyperly Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sorry, at the time I wasn't carefully reading through what you said. I finnaly found a solution though, it took me a while to figure it out. The reasons the trees have collisions are because they are on the 3rd Layer. The reason I messed up the collisions were because I thought I was able to make tiles have collisions even with X's, but I apparently have to put it on the 3rd layer to make it have collisions.

13. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, you don't.

What you have done is put something with X on the second layer, and something with O in the same spot on the third layer.  The 3rd layer O overrides the 2nd or 1st layer X and you can walk through it when it doesn't look like you should be able to. 

If you did what I said (coloring in the 'empty' tiles in your tileset) it would show you very clearly where you'd put the empty O tiles on each layer.  It's very easy to do with XP tilesets in particular because you copy things like trees in a single block, not thinking that the 'empty' tiles are going to make what's underneath passable.