overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
So I tested this and apparently enemies act... funny... when using the two (well 4 on Yanfly's End) scripts together.

So for normal attack I put this in the notes. And it works fine... for the player characters.

Code:
<setup action>
perform start
move user: target, center, 60, auto offset x -50
wait for movement
</setup action>

<whole action>
</whole action>

<target action>
perform action
action effect
</target action>

<follow action>
collapse: target
</follow action>

<finish action>
move user: home, 60
wait for movement
perform finish
wait for movement
</finish action>

But the enemies. They throw themselves to the left (therefore running off screen). And don't get me wrong, that is amusing - but also a problem.

I tested - this does not happen when not using Walk Character Battlers so it's not the code. I assume it's because the two plugins are not compatible. (I don't know if they were originally, I'm using a edited version of the Walk Character Battlers one @MechPen was nice enough to put together for me.)
Can anyone think of a solution? Outside of the one I'm dreading which is having to make side battlers for each character out of the walk sprites directly.

MechPen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You might be able to fix it by shuffling the order of the plugins around?

overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You might be able to fix it by shuffling the order of the plugins around?
First thing I tried. No luck. I suppose I'm just gonna have to do it the difficult way. Thanks though. :)

MechPen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Find this inside WalkCharBattlers

Sprite_WalkCharEnemy.prototype.startMove = function(x, y, duration) { Sprite_Actor.prototype.startMove.call(this, -x, y, duration); };

replace it with

Sprite_WalkCharEnemy.prototype.startMove = function(x, y, duration) { Sprite_Actor.prototype.startMove.call(this, x, y, duration); };

then it should work.

overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Find this inside WalkCharBattlers

Sprite_WalkCharEnemy.prototype.startMove = function(x, y, duration) { Sprite_Actor.prototype.startMove.call(this, -x, y, duration); };

replace it with

Sprite_WalkCharEnemy.prototype.startMove = function(x, y, duration) { Sprite_Actor.prototype.startMove.call(this, x, y, duration); };

then it should work.
It worked - I don't think I can begin to thank you for the work this will save me!

Since I got you here maybe you can figure out one last noticable glitch going on. When side view enemies are attacked the animation goes to low. Normally I would just raise the animation slightly, but this glitch doesn't happen to the player characters:

How it should look:2021_8_23_22_33_35_762_894.png

How it looks on the enemy:
2021_8_23_22_30_50_634_2244.png

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There isn't anything in the SRD plugin regarding animations. I also don't see anything where it modifies the size of the sprite, but I might have missed it.

It looks from your images like the cell they're placed in extends a bit below their feet - with the lowest enemy dude standing at the bottom of the grass, there's that much space up to his drawn feet. That lines up with the animation shown in the middle of the cell, which is his legs.

In the file you're loading from, are the feet touching the bottom of the cell?

overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
In the file you're loading from, are the feet touching the bottom of the cell?
Yeah, it's regular sprite sheet made with the character creator.
CreatorCameo.png
No different than The Maid/Peggy's set up and as you can see it work fine on her. Actually the whole thing treats enemies in an off way when combined with Yanfly stuff. Like I can't select them with the mouse, but I can select the player the mouse. I mean that doesn't bother me that much, I can just turn that function off - but the animation thing... it has to be on my side right? I honestly don't know what's going on.
There isn't anything in the SRD plugin regarding animations. I also don't see anything where it modifies the size of the sprite, but I might have missed it.
The closest thing I can think of is the fact that it can double the size of a sprite, but I don't use that.

MechPen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the same reason the selector doesn't work is the same reason the animations occur at the floor. the Yanfly scrips treat enemies as if they were size 0,0 probably due to how WalkCharBattler removes enemy sprites and adds its own.

hosercanadian

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Another option I use is replace the ITEM sideview sprite with a walking sprite and just use the action sequence to “walk” to the target. Fewer plug-ins means less memory use.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Fewer plug-ins means less memory use.
Being efficient is a good thing, but this is not a good rationale to decide on what plugins to use or not. Any given plugin has code measured in the tens of kilobytes. Presuming you have a modern computer (and even presuming a non-gaming model with 8 GB of RAM), you could load over 26,000 plugins of average size before it would even make a dent in system memory.

Worrying about features you're not actually using or conflicts between plugins are much better criteria to apply to your plugin choices :wink:

overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
the same reason the selector doesn't work is the same reason the animations occur at the floor. the Yanfly scrips treat enemies as if they were size 0,0 probably due to how WalkCharBattler removes enemy sprites and adds its own.
Uhg, so I'm back at the start :D . Maybe I should just do it the hard way.

Being efficient is a good thing, but this is not a good rationale to decide on what plugins to use or not. Any given plugin has code measured in the tens of kilobytes. Presuming you have a modern computer (and even presuming a non-gaming model with 8 GB of RAM), you could load over 26,000 plugins of average size before it would even make a dent in system memory.

Worrying about features you're not actually using or conflicts between plugins are much better criteria to apply to your plugin choices :wink:
Yeah, technically making side view battle sprites for every enemy might/will take up more room than the scripts. It's one of the reasons I didn't wanna have to resort to that, but it's looking like I might have too, which is a lot of work and I am not looking forward to it.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not that it isn't a bit tedious, but if you're using GIMP or some other image editor where you can configure a grid size with snap settings, it should be pretty simple to drag cells from one sprite sheet to another.

overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Not that it isn't a bit tedious, but if you're using GIMP or some other image editor where you can configure a grid size with snap settings, it should be pretty simple to drag cells from one sprite sheet to another.
Yeah, It's mostly I'm just not looking forward to the tedious busy work. Time I could spend doing other things of import - like trying to get my animations to look nice and the like. Plus there are those few sprites that ARE sized differently from normal sprites. Just a lot of "little things" that add up to it being a pain when yer already under stress in other areas in yer life. I'm actually taking a bit of a recharge break. (I'm using GIMP so it's actually pretty easy)

MechPen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Find.

if(Imported.YEP_BattleEngineCore) { Sprite_WalkCharEnemy.prototype.preSpriteInitialize = function(battler) { Sprite_Battler.prototype.preSpriteInitialize.call(this, battler); this._visualSelect = Yanfly.Param.BECEnemySelect; if (this._visualSelect) this.createVisualSelectWindow(); };

and add the follow code so it looks like this

if(Imported.YEP_BattleEngineCore) { var _Game_Enemy_spriteWidth = Sprite_Actor.prototype.spriteWidth; Game_Enemy.prototype.spriteWidth = function() { if (this.battler() && this.isWalkBattler()) { return this.battler()._isBigWalkCharacter ? this.battler()._mainSprite.bitmap.width/3 : this.battler()._mainSprite.bitmap.width/12; } else { _Game_Enemy_spriteWidth.call(this); } }; var _Game_Enemy_spriteHeight = Sprite_Actor.prototype.spriteHeight; Game_Enemy.prototype.spriteHeight = function() { if (this.battler() && this.isWalkBattler()) { return this.battler()._isBigWalkCharacter ? this.battler()._mainSprite.bitmap.height/12 : this.battler()._mainSprite.bitmap.height/8; } else { _Game_Enemy_spriteHeight.call(this); } }; Sprite_WalkCharEnemy.prototype.preSpriteInitialize = function(battler) { Sprite_Battler.prototype.preSpriteInitialize.call(this, battler); this._visualSelect = Yanfly.Param.BECEnemySelect; if (this._visualSelect) this.createVisualSelectWindow(); };

I'll upload the file here too in case that's too confusing

Attachments

• SRD_WalkCharBattlers.js
    32.5 KB · Views: 1

overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Find.

and add the follow code so it looks like this

I'll upload the file here too in case that's too confusing

Nice job, I can select enemies with the mouse now. :)
Alas, it did not fix the animation error. [sigh] I'm being mocked by my own creation. :D

MechPen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
animations seemed to work fine on my testbed but I was only running Yanfly core battle core and walkcharbattler. Maybe some other plugin is messing it up.

overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
animations seemed to work fine on my testbed but I was only running Yanfly core battle core and walkcharbattler. Maybe some other plugin is messing it up.
I figured it out! I forgot to turn Yanfly Animated Sideview Enemies OFF. Once I did the animations began lining up correctly.

Thank you for yer help. I'm gonna report that this can be closed as I believe we have solved everything now.

Thank you and everyone else for their help.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

You look like you had a rough day...Here, have a Baby Panda!

A certain person better sell his stock while he still can, because it looks like it's going to take an unrecoverable nose dive.
7 years of trying to plan this project... and it got an official plotline today. 7 years. I really just have no concept of order huh GHJGSJHGVGHASFH.
Doing RPG Maker News for 24th October 2021

I'm not sure how to do this so I'll just ask here, Wheres a good place to post your game (for free) once its done?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marsmason