HiddenAlchemist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm sorry for the confusing title, but I hope the thread will explain what I mean better.

I've actually been making backview SV battlers to fit a more isometric-styled view. In the default actor lineup in battles, the row is right diagonal (↘). But the style of battlers I'm making are intended to be left diagonal (↙). Basically I want the rows to be like this example from Breath of Fire:

1621726577615.png

However I'm having such a difficult time trying to achieve this with the Home Position X in plugin parameters with Yanfly Battle Core. The default string for that is:

screenWidth - 16 - (maxSize + 2) * 32 + index * 32

I'm certain that the key here is "index", as removing that repositions the actors to be entirely vertical top to bottom. But adjusting the other values doesn't achieve what I want. It almost seems like I need a "reverse index" to get a left diagonal row, but I'm not sure how to go about that or if it is even possible here.

I know that the Battle Core Yanfly made for VX Ace allowed for a left diagonal row, so it should also theoretically be possible here. I am also aware that Battle Core has notetags to place actors in static X/Y positions, but the problem with that is that those won't update if the party changes.

Thanks.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't looked at this part of the plugin at all, but have you tried reversing the signs, so you're subtracting instead of adding? That would be the reverse of the index.

HiddenAlchemist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't looked at this part of the plugin at all, but have you tried reversing the signs, so you're subtracting instead of adding? That would be the reverse of the index.
I've tried "- index" and "/ index" (while also removing the second * 32). The former makes the row vertical, while the latter is...rather buggy and screws with the order in such a way that I fail to understand how. Basically "/ index" becomes this:

1621728597618.png

This is supposed to be a four person party and on Harold's turn, so I don't know why Therese is stepping forward. Harold doesn't even show anywhere.

If it helps, I did find this post that gives some documentation of how the home positions work, but I haven't found anything else. I have seen someone adjust the home position x so that their battlers were in a perfectly horizontal row, so it is possible to adjust the home position to be more dynamic. Just a matter of figuring out how.

Edit: On second thought, as I play around with this more (I learn better by trial and error), I think it is actually the second * 32 that adjusts the left diagonal positioning. Removing that makes the actor row be vertical. But / 32 doesn't reverse it.

Last edited:

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay. You want to start at a right position and go to the left. So:
screenWidth - 16 - (maxSize + 2) * 32 + index * 32
First thing is to make the starting position more right, so decreasing anything inside of 16 - (maxSize + 2) * 32 should achieve that. I'm going to just get rid of the -16.

Then, we want to go left from our previous position, so subtracting index * 32 instead of adding it (as I suggested before).

Using that formula of
Code:
screenWidth  - (maxSize + 2) * 32 - index * 32
I have a formation that starts right and goes down to the left (Harold is popped out because it's his turn so he's stepped forward).

battletest.jpg
If your results differ, double check that your plugins are in the correct order...that you have saved and started a new game or battle test...that you don't have any other plugins that could affect the battle screen.

HiddenAlchemist

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you ever so much, that worked exactly like I wanted it to! And I think I also have a better understanding of how the formula works now. (Those have always been my weak points.)

Whenever I finish the backview battlers (I intend to share them as a resource), I could certainly credit you for coming up with the formula.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I have a really hard time keeping all these goodies secret til December... but I swear, it is worth the wait!
Working on a Premium version of my minimap plugin that will have advanced functionalities such as drawing a Terrain map based completely on the users tilesets, whatever they may be, and drawing minimap radar icons automatically based on texture of the event the note is applied to.
Psttt come look, this is the secret technique to tenderizing steaks, it makes it extra beefy. :rwink:

pixeldailyaxemeatsheild.gif
#screenshotsaturday update, featuring vaporwave angels lol
Lil' sketch I drew of Nico di Angelo :)
The spooky boi himself ♥
Nico sketch by Artemis Yates.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calignositystudios