ElDanto

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm using Yanfly Class Change Core and i'm trying to figure out a way to make it so the plugin wouldn't allow the the actor to keep learned skills between class changes

ie:

Warrior learns bash at level 4

With the class change core by default if an actor learns a skill he has access to it regardless of whether or not he remains in the same class

Something that might be useful? --> I've found this plugin here - https://himeworks.com/2013/08/utils-class-changing/

The user 'ashm' claims to have fixed this exact same 'issue' of mine but i couldn't quite replicate his fix, or at least i didn't fully understand how to do so

I tried to insert the 'update_class_skills(old_class_id)' in several different ways but i always end up breaking the plugin instead

Here's an example of the amount of errors i get when trying to insert the function into the Yanfly plugin, i outlined in red the classChange function from Yanfly

Attachments

• Imagine.png
    Imagine.png
    115.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
two steps back - why can't you use the solution proposed by Yanfly in the description?

as yanfly explained the core of the problem has nothing to do with his class change plugin but with the way the engine handles skills - that is why he proposed you use the skill types to handle this.

ElDanto

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
two steps back - why can't you use the solution proposed by Yanfly in the description?

as yanfly explained the core of the problem has nothing to do with his class change plugin but with the way the engine handles skills - that is why he proposed you use the skill types to handle this.
Sorry i cannot for the life of me find what you're talking about anywhere, i'm either partially blind or i'm looking at the wrong place, could you perhaps point me in the right direction or give a quick explanation on how to do it?

Jrrkein

Insert Witty Title Here
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Sorry i cannot for the life of me find what you're talking about anywhere, i'm either partially blind or i'm looking at the wrong place, could you perhaps point me in the right direction or give a quick explanation on how to do it?
  1. Go to databse, settings and go to type
  2. add a new skill type in the skill type (right next to elements) on whatever you call it
  3. then go to your skill section and assign that skill to particular skill type that you put below
  4. Then go to your class/actor section, add the skill type you just add. That actor will only learn or have the skill of that skill type.
When you playtest, you see your actor will have different skill type
Bash (before) [Special]
Bash (After) [Whatever you call another skill type third one]

Things like Class change core with skills or learn skill, all class with that skill type can have or learn that skill of the skill type

ElDanto

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
  1. Go to databse, settings and go to type
  2. add a new skill type in the skill type (right next to elements) on whatever you call it
  3. then go to your skill section and assign that skill to particular skill type that you put below
  4. Then go to your class/actor section, add the skill type you just add. That actor will only learn or have the skill of that skill type.
When you playtest, you see your actor will have different skill type
Bash (before) [Special]
Bash (After) [Whatever you call another skill type third one]

Things like Class change core with skills or learn skill, all class with that skill type can have or learn that skill of the skill type
I guess that works, my game idea i'd have like 10 different "tier 2 classes" for each of the 9 "starter classes".

Having to create a skill type for each of the aforementioned classes and then modifying all silences/skill breaks to remove each specific class skill type seems alot of work, but if it works it works.

Still thanks for the help! this was driving me crazy

If anyone knows a way to remove the old class's skills post class change though it would still be greatly appreciated, for now i'll use the workaround provided above

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
but if it works it works.
yes, giving each class its own skill type is what I was talking about, and that should be described in a text on the website of the plugin (unfortunately not in the plugins help section, yanfly added the explanation only to the website).

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I guess that works, my game idea i'd have like 10 different "tier 2 classes" for each of the 9 "starter classes".

Having to create a skill type for each of the aforementioned classes and then modifying all silences/skill breaks to remove each specific class skill type seems alot of work, but if it works it works.

Still thanks for the help! this was driving me crazy

If anyone knows a way to remove the old class's skills post class change though it would still be greatly appreciated, for now i'll use the workaround provided above
If all you're doing is letting one class feed into another one, you don't even need class change core to accomplish this. If you use class change core, you're allowing the player to downgrade back to the original class if they want, and if so, you'd need both a function to remove skills from a class you're not currently belonging to, and another function to add those skills back if you switch back to that class.

The simpler option is to manually change their class at a certain point in the game, via event. Then you can just manually remove any old skills you don't want them to retain in that same event, and you won't have to deal with players randomly swapping back to the basic class. It also doesn't involve you having to keep track of silences on half a dozen different skilltypes.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Playing my game to improve my game. (Totally not procrastinating)
Hope he recovers fast :|
Looks like it's functional:
It's a common thing to forget eating &drinking while you are working concentrated, right?
If I had discovered RPG-Maker before moving together with my girlfriend, I'd have died of dehydration a long time ago.
Ami
trying to change my picture & got screwed up...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryweuu