Koi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
EDIT: I want two different commands, one for healing items, one for battling items in the battle commands list. In Yanfly's menu script, it allows you to tell the menu where to place items through a <category: string> tag in the notes boxes. Having a script similar to that but for battle commands would be perfect, so I could specifically categorize each of my items. All of my "weapons" are categorized as only "items" in the RPG Maker database.

Yanfly made a really cool, really simple script for rewriting the in-battle commands, but sadly, there is no option to go directly into one's weapons.

The closest to that is simply items. Due to how the entirety of my items are set up, not having a command to go to weapons really messes with a lot of how I have my items and battles set up.

I was wondering if anyone could help. If I recall Yanfly has said tampering with his scripts is completely okay.

Here's the script: http://yanflychannel.wordpress.com/rmvxa/battle-scripts/battle-command-list/

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your description is a bit off.
Items are in the menu because they can be used to trigger effects. Weapons cannot be used and will never be usabe in this form unless you add a lot of scripts, simply because weapons cannot cause effects from default data.

If you want to change your equipment during battle, then you need Yanfly's Command: Equip script
http://yanflychannel.wordpress.com/rmvxa/battle-scripts/command-equip/

Koi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hmmm maybe then a command to use items that are set to only be allowed in battle?

Currently all of my "weapons" are simply items.

The point is that in my battles I want the user to select the weapon to use for that turn specifically. But having a big list filled with all of the other items can become cluttered (unless I can finally find someone with a script to allow players to freely organize their items).

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mmm ... I posted a solution, but when I looked at the RTP code, it should behave that way by default anyway.

Only items that have Occasion set to Always or Only in Battle will appear in the battle menu when you select Items. So the solution, if you haven't done it already, is to change the items that you don't want to appear during battle to be usable Only From the Menu, or Never.

If you've already got that set up, maybe give us a screenshot of the Items tab for one of the items you don't want to appear in battle.

Are you using any other battle-modifying scripts? The one you linked to does not affect what items appear when you choose Items during battle.

Koi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Mmm ... I posted a solution, but when I looked at the RTP code, it should behave that way by default anyway.

Only items that have Occasion set to Always or Only in Battle will appear in the battle menu when you select Items. So the solution, if you haven't done it already, is to change the items that you don't want to appear during battle to be usable Only From the Menu, or Never.

If you've already got that set up, maybe give us a screenshot of the Items tab for one of the items you don't want to appear in battle.

Are you using any other battle-modifying scripts? The one you linked to does not affect what items appear when you choose Items during battle.
Well I do want healing items to be usable in battle. It'd suck to be really low on health and not able to heal yourself if you don't have a healing ability... which none of my characters do.

The only other battle modifying script I have is Fomar's side-view script, and all that does is gives you the ability to have your actors on screen.

What I was able to do with Yanfly's script was have "Items" as a command. And I wanted that to over-ride the "attack" command (by actually deleting that command), again, so the player would choose their weapon every single turn. So yeah it doesn't affect what items appear. It just shows all of the items.

I don't know anything about RGSS3. That's why I wanted to check, to see if it was possible to add an option for in-battle only items.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Koi, it looks like we're talking about different things. I think we need to take one step back and check a few parts of the nomenclature.

In the database, you have three tabs Items, Weapons and Armor.

If you entered your weapon description into the Weapon tab, they are NOT items. If you entered those into the item tab, then they are items but NOT weapons.

Those areas have different functions in ace, and you need to use the correct nomenclature or we won't know what you have done.

Weapons as defined in Ace have NO USABLE EFFECT - they only provide bonus points to the actor.

USABLE in battle are only skills and items, nothing else can have a command effect.

What you can do is bind skills to weapons, so that those skills can only be used if that weapon is equipped - but even in that case you'll be using the skills on that weapon, you will never use the weapon itself.

You can pretend to the player that he's using the weapon by making skill types with the names of those weapons, and those skill types will then be listed automatically in the command menu - but internally that will still be skills, never weapons.

Koi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Okay yeah let's back up.

First of all, all of my weapons are in the items category in the database.

Here's an example of the first weapon:

example_zpsf2eeb17a.png

Those notes work with Yanfly's Menu Script. I had the in-battle items sorted as "weapons," by editing the script like this:

menuscript_zpsc230449e.png

So that in the item menu screen, it would look like this:

inventory_zps64dbccfe.png

But I digress.

Here's how it is in-battle:

fight1_zps56ea676c.png

fight2_zps8ff85871.png

Basically, in the database all of the "weapons" are merely items. I just disguise them to appear as though in the weapons category.

So, a cure to my issue for the battles alone could be a script alike to the menu one but for battle commands. An command for healing items, and a command for "weapons," that I could label in the item notes.

I don't know how RGSS3 works, but it sounds possible to me. Should I make this a different post in the script requests forum?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Basically anything is possible with RGSS, there are scripts that change Ace into a platformer game or an action game.

And yes, your description cleared a lot of what you've done.

What you need is a script that limits the item command to a category of items command, because "item" as defined in the command manager includes everything that is on the item tab of the database - the menu categories are not accessed there.

That goes beyond my knowledge of scripting, so someone else has to help you.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Take a look at how you have Candies set up. Do you want to be able to use candies in battle? Are they set to be usable Always or Only In Battle?

Koi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Take a look at how you have Candies set up. Do you want to be able to use candies in battle? Are they set to be usable Always or Only In Battle?
They are always usable.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you WANT them to be always usable? I'm not sure I understand the problem, if you WANT to be able to use candies in battle, and they are in the battle items screen - it seems that's just what you want.

If you DON'T want to be able to use them in battle, then change them to Only From the Menu.

Or are you saying you want categories added to that battle items screen, so you can look at All, or Weapons, or Armors?

Koi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Do you WANT them to be always usable? I'm not sure I understand the problem, if you WANT to be able to use candies in battle, and they are in the battle items screen - it seems that's just what you want.

If you DON'T want to be able to use them in battle, then change them to Only From the Menu.

Or are you saying you want categories added to that battle items screen, so you can look at All, or Weapons, or Armors?
Yes I do.

I want two different commands, one for healing items, one for battling items. In the menu script, it allows you to tell the menu where to place items through a <category: string> tag in the notes boxes. Having a script similar to that but for battle commands would be perfect.

This is why I think this thread is now more suited for the script requests forum.

EDIT: By the way, if what I'm saying now is not completely congruent with what I said when I first posted this, it's because it's not. After seeing what Andar was saying and thinking about it, what I'm asking now is what I've decided on.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sure, I'll move it.

I can't offer to do it for you due to my current workload, and I don't generally like playing with other people's scripts, because they're sometimes hard for me to follow and I worry about breaking them.

Koi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Have you ever been truly comfortable? This weekend I experienced it for the first time in my 33 years on this planet. Try to get comfy, friends.
Every once in a while I check to see if my planned game titles are taken or trademarked. Still okay. I plan to take my time for the sake of quality, but at the same time it feels like a race against some hidden dev out there who also plans to publish or register the same title.
Who else here likes frogs? I sure do like them squishy beings! :rwink:

froggy.png
Only the goggles are imported ... not the eyes
a lot of my maps and battlebacks are me redrawing base rpg maker mv stuff to match with my own artwork... sometimes it comes out ok lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RhemeChan