Bridgeman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
I'm using the Yanfly core plugin to change the resolution of my game to 320x240, but now the menu looks all messed up. How do I resize and reposition it so that it works with the smaller resolution?

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yanfly core does try to resize windows and sprites automatically, but there's a limit to what it can do when you drastically change the resolution. You'll probably need a plugin to replace stuff on the screen, if the Yanfly plugins can't do it. You need a plugin that can:
  • Change the font size (I think the Yanfly plugins can do that). By default the font size is 28, which isn't too big if the game is running at 816x624 or even 1280x720, but 28 is way too big if your game resolution is 320x230.
  • Change the window margin (maybe Yanfly plugins can do that). The margin of a window is the unused space between the border of the window and the content. By default the margin is set to 36 pixels (meaning 18 pixels on the left/right and top/bottom). That is way too much wasted space at your resolution.
  • Change the window line height (I think the Yanfly plugins can do that). The line height is the distance between each text line in a window by default. The default value is 36 pixels, but as you guessed you'll have to reduce that.
To reposition the windows, you have to modify the code, and to move content inside of each window you also need to modify the code, and I'm not sure if the Yanfly plugins can do that.

Munchy

Project Development Lead
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Start by using the core engine to change the resolution to suit THEN use the message core plugin as you have yesterday to change it accordingly. If that still hasn't fulfilled your need i've attached a plugin file called Community_basic.js This plugin works alongside yanfly's plugins and can change the screen accordingly without effecting the menu window :)

Attachments

• Community_Basic.js
    4.1 KB · Views: 3

Bridgeman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
The message core plugin does not seem to have any options regarding the menu, unfortunately. And I'm already using a smaller font, but it still looks whack.

The community basic script you linked is just the default one that's already in there, right? If I change the resolution in there, wouldn't I have to disable the Yanfly core script because it overwrites it?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    21.2 KB · Views: 11

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
why do you want the screen size to go down to 320x240?
Because to be usable at that screen size, you'll have to have custom menues that remove part of the data to fit the screen.

if it is just to give the impression of low-resolution it might be better to resize smaller tilesets to have 2x2 blocks instead of pixels and only pretend to be at 320x240 while in reality everything stays at 640x480 instead of having a full menu written for 320x240.

Munchy

Project Development Lead
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hey man, place the community plug in at the top of the list above yep core and it will use that variable first over yep core and yes its the one thats already there i was just making sure you had it to hand :) and yeah if its to make a pixelated game, smaller tiles would be easier as @Andar has mentioned above and to be honest i dont think your gonna be able to change the menu itself once res has changed unless you do @MushroomCake28 solution above :) on the tiles though you can actually get pixelated resources for MV there are some free ones i believe on the yanfly resources page but will have to have a look to be sure

Bridgeman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Alright, I'll think about that. Thanks for the help guys

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Hey everyone! No Studio Blue RPG Maker Critiques Stream today! But you can always check the playlist for old streams you've missed!

I ran out of paper sheets to draw, so I guess I'm forced to do digital for a while now...
x778xt8.jpg

Still haven0t found a colouring style that I like :kaoswt:
woods.pngshop.jpgboss.jpgRoom.png

Mapping is becoming so much easier!
FirestormNeos wrote on Neikoku's profile.
the cat in your profile picture is adorable
Are the default-size "chibi" sprites really a bad thing for a project? I'm not planning to sell my game anyway but I was wondering if they were as hated as some videos seem to claim...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GalertyEarth