Yanfly Doodads as a built in feature

Discussion in 'Editor Suggestions and Improvement' started by PixelHeart, Feb 12, 2017.

?

Would you like this feature?

1. Yes

177 vote(s)
    88.5%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. Yes, but not important

18 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. PixelHeart

PixelHeart The Pixel Heartist! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Description of the Feature:
    • I would like to humbly propose that a feature similar to Yanflys Doodads Plugin be implemented into the engine.

Code for Implementation:

I am not a programmer, and so could not begin to imagine how one would go about programing this undoubtedly complex feature into the engine. However, I would think Yanflys Plugin might be a decent place to start.

Mockups:
    I don't think I can really "show" how this would work...its basically parallax mapping, only without having to build the map in an exterior editor. You would simply be able to click the b-e tile(s) you need, and place it on the map anywhere of grid, and you can reselect it and move it around as needed.

Why is this feature good?
    This feature is great because of the following:
    • It would make building more organic looking maps even easier. It would have the freedom provided by Yanflys plugin of being able to place tiles free of the grid, with none of the finicky shuffling through windows, or having to make individual "doodads" files.
    • Simply click the tile(s) in the tile pallet, and click and place it on the map, and move it as needed.
    • It would (should) be more resource friendly on a project.

Possible issues with this feature?
    Issues that might arise from this feature:
    • I suppose there might be some conflict with the way layers work, right now in the engine as it stands.

Note: I just wanted to also say, I think yanflys plugins, including the one I mentioned, are really awesome. Its awesome that plugins can effect the engine that way, however, there are things I don't like about it. I don't like having to make a "trillion" individual "doodads", to shuffle through all those menus to make a map. And the way I'm think, if a plugin can do that...why not just build it into the engine (I know, "says the non-programmer"...)? No one would need Tiled, or to make a map in Gimp/Photoshop, which is resource hungry anyway. To be sure, I am doubtful this will make it into the engine, but I wanted to at least put it out there.

notdrunk, masterlobo, Sharm and 10 others like this.
  2. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    You forgot the poll :)

3. PixelHeart

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @Archeia - Really :( ? Shoot, OK ill try to see if I can fix it when I get back home. I've never done a pole thread before.

EDIT: @Archeia - ok, I figured it out. Thank you, and sorry about that.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  4. Fernyfer775

Fernyfer775 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yes please! :D

PixelHeart likes this.
  5. PixelHeart

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Before this thread gets too big, I would also like to add, that it might also be a good idea if this feature had away to toggle it on and off as needed; for cases when more procice mapping is needed.

EDIT: Also (of course I would be coming up with ideas, after I've already posted the thread X_X ) since people are asking for more layers in other threads, maybe there could be a special layer in the editor that allowed for mapping specifically in this way.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  6. Jomarcenter

Jomarcenter jomarcenter-MJM Veteran

First Language:
    ENGLISH
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well it technically possible but it mean it need a new switchable map layer which read the files used for yanfly which could end up in integrated to the map files itself if cases like copy-paste maps would be an issue, integrating the script into the corefile (related to mapping) as well so it can be integrated with the engine & editor properly. Which this kind of way would removed the need to open the game to do yanfly doodad and for some editor who may use the same map for like sequel would easily do the job since the feature is integrated to the vanilla files. But it will be feature-down to only have one layer for all contents unless if switching layer modes will have special feature like a drop down box added to it

it could improved the way mapping works in RM which allow 4 or more layer depending on what would be the result of approved to be made.
    here is a mock up of what I think it could be:
    Doodad.png

And also in a legal sense for yanfly needs rto give legal commercial rights to kadokawa for then to distribute it included with the MV software world wide if it integreated to the editor. for those who is unaware

Fornoreason1000 likes this.
  7. PixelHeart

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @Jomarcenter - well, when I mentioned looking at yanflys plugin, I didn't actually mean to use its code or process (the way it made the doodads work). I was just saying that maybe by studying it, maybe building something like a free mapping layer/mode would be easier. I certainly wasn't suggesting stealing anything from yanflys code. :(

Andronius likes this.
  8. Jomarcenter

Jomarcenter jomarcenter-MJM Veteran

First Language:
    ENGLISH
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well it was a just in case and how it would be implemented if somehow it would be include on the official version since the corescript is open to anyone (including those who dont own the product to modified to their liking (except the engine). It could be implemented in a different way like a code then what i said since it could end up as a basis on how it would be created. Especially since yanfly work on the plugin and have access to the engine even before the engine release. And who know if yanfly would join in working on the corescript (since anyone can join in to improved it since it a community thing) in the future and perpose some few ideas in the process including what you wanted to implement which in the case she may just use her own code as a basis and could result in a similar style of code as her original.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    PixelHeart likes this.
  9. Andronius

Andronius Apprentice Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It would be like a dream... :kaoluv:

10. Fornoreason1000

Fornoreason1000 Black Sheep Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Phootoshop/Gimp parrlax is resource hungry but not so much for PC(FFVII uses this method anyway, and that's a 90's game that can be emulated nowdays), but if done right you could load Tiled format maps into RPGmakerMV, which would give all maps virtually unlimited capability. Even Doodad can be implemented with a simple Image layer, or even an object layer that will load up a specific tile

11. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I cannot say yes enough times for this suggestion.

This would not be the same as a Photoshop/GIMP map. In those, you are drawing the entire map. With Doodads, you have a group of items and you place them in multiple places on the map. This is exactly how the current mapping system works - you have a group of items (the individual tiles) and you place them in multiple places on the map.

The difference the plugin makes is that the items do not conform to the grid, either in size or makeup (a tree is a single image of a tree, not 12 tiles that have to be drawn together to make up a tree), or in placement.

The suggestion is not to implement Yanfly's plugin, but to change the editor to do all the same stuff so the plugin would not be required at all. So yes, everything would be saved on the map, and not in a separate file. As far as sticking with the grid vs grid-free placement, it could be as simple as holding down the Control key while moving the mouse to either allow completely grid-free movement, or smaller increments like 4 or 8 pixels.

12. PixelHeart

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Yes, even just a small the ability to set a tile with a small offset from the grid would make a world of difference.

kaukusaki likes this.
  13. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

This would be a lifesaver. No more messy tilesets of the same objects but placed in 5 different positions so that you can make things seem natural and organic.

kaukusaki likes this.
  14. PixelHeart

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Hey guys! Has anyone seen this yet? ! Tiled Maps In RMMV plugin , I only just found out about this a night or two ago! This is basically the same thing. :)

EDIT: It take a bit of setting up, but it works great! Its a good alternative until MV get it in the editor.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Fornoreason1000 likes this.
  15. TomatoKing

TomatoKing Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    One can only dream.

Tiles are so goddam limiting, mainstream games left tiles in the 90s/early 2000s, yet here we are nearing 2020 and still being bound by them.

Setting up a good parallax map requires a lot of thought, and when you make it, you marry it, since going back and change it will mean lots of work.

My only complaint about yanfly's doodads is having to pick objects from a list instead of a palette, but it's already better than any functionality RM has ever had.

RishigangiX likes this.
  16. LTN Games

LTN Games Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Let's not do it like the doodads plugin but rather create a grid free layer that allows selection of a tile from a "tilesheet" and not individual images as mentioned above. I'm all for a layer or the option to enable/disable the grid entirely and sounds like a good and very useful feature.

17. ashikai

ashikai Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Maybe less of a yanfly doodad thing, and more of a TileD thing? I would LOVE to see TileD's map editor implemented into MV. I think it accomplishes more or less the same thing as doodads but might be easier to manage.

LTN Games likes this.
  18. Yanfly

Yanfly Developer

This is 2017. And we're still using tile-restricted editors. Why?

If need be, feel free the lift the whole doodads code for this.

Bex, Markus I., Blue001 and 23 others like this.
  19. Skurge

Skurge " (GASP) What's going on!? " Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I think this would make an exceptional update, although I'd imagine it would be difficult to implement with the need of various plugins or options to tinker with grid ON/OFF or pixel movement etc. I would still love to see the tile sets expanded infinitely much like XP did.

I for one would absolutely adore the use of expanded tile sets to remove the annoyance I have to go through making duplicate tile sets and sacrificing good tiles for different ones just ot provide variety.

Point08 likes this.
  20. Point08

Point08 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yes, yes, and oh yeah, yes! Parallax mapping is a pain and extremely time consuming. Editing tile sets by clumping multiple tiles helps add variety to maps made in the editor, but ultimately you almost always end up sacrificing total number of tiles available to have variations.

Having this as a feature built into the editor would be amazing, and that's coming from someone who enjoys doing pixel art.