MorsVictrix

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Slovenian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi!

I recently bought Yanfly's Plugin Bundle for my RPG Maker MV project. I'm making an educational JRPG game with voice acting.

As most people here allready know, the bast way to implement voice acting is to play the files as sound effects, ''Play SE'' and then put ''Stop SE'' command after every ''Show Text''.

But the problem is that for some reason, if I have Yanfly's plugin ''Extended Messages Pack 1'' plugin turned on, the ''Stop SE'' simply doesn't work anymore. I even tried using the ''CancelSound Plugin'' script call plugin made by a user named Chaucer. But nothing helpes. Not even if I used BOTH! Stop SE and CancelSound Plugin!

So if Yanfly's YEP_X_ExtMesPack1 is turned on and the player spams the skip button during a longer dialogue, the dialogue ''sound effects'' start overlapping and playing one over the other.

No matter what I do, this problem pesrsists, unless I turn off the said Yanfly plugin.

For anyone willing to help or give suggestions, the problem is not me installing the plugin in the wrong order, because all my Yanfly plugins are installed as suggested by their author - here:

I also know it's not some error due to a non Yanfly plugin incompatibility, because if I turned off all non-Yanfly plugins I use in the game, and the problem was still there...

Thanx in advance.

MorsVictrix

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Slovenian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there no one on this forum that can/is willing to help? No?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
your assumption of what the error is is almost guarenteed to be wrong - why should any yanfly plugin disable any regular event command? Yanfly programs better than that, and if that was a specific and direct effect it would have been mentioned and found by others in the years since then.

and unfortunately you don't give any additional info that would help to find out what really is the cause, so of course most people don't bother.

Please provide the following:
1) screenshots of one example event where the effect happens
2) screenshots of your plugin manager where we can see all your plugins and their order (especially their order - very often when yanfly's plugins had strange effects in the past it was because of the wrong order of them)
3) test if that effects happens when you start a new game, load a saved file, or both
4) give the version number in the title line of your project's rpg_core.js file - go to the project's js folder and open it with a text editor to read that number.

MorsVictrix

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Slovenian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
your assumption of what the error is is almost guarenteed to be wrong - why should any yanfly plugin disable any regular event command? Yanfly programs better than that, and if that was a specific and direct effect it would have been mentioned and found by others in the years since then.

and unfortunately you don't give any additional info that would help to find out what really is the cause, so of course most people don't bother.

Please provide the following:
1) screenshots of one example event where the effect happens
2) screenshots of your plugin manager where we can see all your plugins and their order (especially their order - very often when yanfly's plugins had strange effects in the past it was because of the wrong order of them)
3) test if that effects happens when you start a new game, load a saved file, or both
4) give the version number in the title line of your project's rpg_core.js file - go to the project's js folder and open it with a text editor to read that number.

I'm sure he is a good programmer... but only when I turn Yanfly's plugin ''Extended Messages Pack 1'' on, the ''Stop SE'' stops working as it should. If I turn it off I have no problem... exept not being able to use the plugin itself.

I assume there are not many serious RPG maker games being done with voice acting and mentioned Yanfly plugin, but I might be wrong... maybe that's why nobody mentioned or found this flaw in the years since then. Or maybe I'm wrong. Either way, this is my problem... :/

1) attaching screenshots of one example event where the ''Stop SE'' stops working
2) attaching screenshots of my plugin manager, where you can see all my plugins and their order. There are some non-Yanfly plugins, but most are Yanfly and in the same order as it is suggested on the Yanfly official website.

3) tested if it happens when I start a new game with same plugins in same order and if I load a saved file... same plugins, same type of event, same result...
4) rpg_core.js is v1.6.2 - I have RPG MAker MV, Steam version...

Attachments

• Screenshots of my plugin manager 1.png
    Screenshots of my plugin manager 1.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • Screenshots of my plugin manager 2.png
    Screenshots of my plugin manager 2.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • Screenshots of my plugin manager 3.png
    Screenshots of my plugin manager 3.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • Screenshots of my plugin manager 4.png
    Screenshots of my plugin manager 4.png
  • Screenshots of my plugin manager 5.png
    Screenshots of my plugin manager 5.png
  • Screenshots of one example event 1.png
    Screenshots of one example event 1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • Screenshots of one example event 2.png
    Screenshots of one example event 2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • Screenshots of one example event 3.png
    Screenshots of one example event 3.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • Screenshots of one example event 4.png
    Screenshots of one example event 4.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OK, one tip to the side - next time please make your screenshots with alt-prtscrn instead of prtscrn alone, that will limit the screenshot to the content of the active window.

One more info: if an error stops if a plugin is deactivated, that only proves that the plugin is involved in the error - it does not prove that the error is inside that plugin. In fact the most strange errors are usually cross-interactions between two or three different plugins. That is why the list of all plugins is always important in such cases - although I don't see anything special there at the moment.

And you have proven one of the main reasons why we always ask for screenshots of the event that don't work - your description of the event is different from the actual event.
''Play SE'' and then put ''Stop SE'' command after every ''Show Text''.
you have not a single case of that sequence in the entire event.
Instead the sequence is "Play SE", "Show Text", "script command at audio" and only then "stop SE".
Script commands can cause event commands to behave differently...

OK, further investigation is needed.
can you make a new test project with only the minimum plugins to get the extended message packs to work, and then make an event there that only contains the play SE, show text and stop SE as you originally described, without that script command?
This is mostly to test if the effect is really limited to that combination - if that suddenly works in the test project, we'll know that the problem has another component that needs to be identified.
And if it doesn't work in that test project, the reduced number of plugins there will make searching much easier.

MorsVictrix

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Slovenian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OK, one tip to the side - next time please make your screenshots with alt-prtscrn instead of prtscrn alone, that will limit the screenshot to the content of the active window.

One more info: if an error stops if a plugin is deactivated, that only proves that the plugin is involved in the error - it does not prove that the error is inside that plugin. In fact the most strange errors are usually cross-interactions between two or three different plugins. That is why the list of all plugins is always important in such cases - although I don't see anything special there at the moment.

And you have proven one of the main reasons why we always ask for screenshots of the event that don't work - your description of the event is different from the actual event.

you have not a single case of that sequence in the entire event.
Instead the sequence is "Play SE", "Show Text", "script command at audio" and only then "stop SE".
Script commands can cause event commands to behave differently...

OK, further investigation is needed.
can you make a new test project with only the minimum plugins to get the extended message packs to work, and then make an event there that only contains the play SE, show text and stop SE as you originally described, without that script command?
This is mostly to test if the effect is really limited to that combination - if that suddenly works in the test project, we'll know that the problem has another component that needs to be identified.
And if it doesn't work in that test project, the reduced number of plugins there will make searching much easier.

I made a new game with minimum plugins. Only Yanfly essential ones. The problem is the same - ''Stop SE'' simply doesn't work with ''Extended Messages Pack 1'' plugin.

I suspect it has something to do with the text sound and the dialogue playing as SE - both at the same time... perhaps the ''STOP SE'' command is disabled by the ''Extended Messages Pack 1'', when it's playing the text sound. When I wrote ''STOP SE'', I was hoping to get the SE dialogue to stop working, but not the text sound enabled by Extended Messages Pack 1...

p.s.: thank you for taking the time to answer...

Attachments

• NEW test 1 - PLUGINS.png
    NEW test 1 - PLUGINS.png
    74.9 KB · Views: 3
  • NEW test 1 - EVENT.png
    NEW test 1 - EVENT.png
    158.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OK, that makes sense - if the text sound effects from yanfly completely circumvent regular SE control while text sound effects are active.

however that pinpoints the error enough that you should make one more test, and have two workaround options.

1) please test if stop SE is always disabled or only if the command before it is a show text.
I doubt that the command is completely disabled because that would have been discovered years ago.
But I also know that yanfly added code to check for command sequences, including the option to combine several show text one after another.
So this problem might only be there if the stop se is directly following a show text, and you might circumvwent it by placing other harmless commands between (comments, wait (1 frame) or a control variable setting a useless temp variable)

2) with this specific pinpointing, you can request a bugfix or compatibility patch as regular and might have good chances to get it
(the full plugin list from your main project would have everyone outright refusing to look for compatibility problems)

MorsVictrix

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Slovenian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OK, that makes sense - if the text sound effects from yanfly completely circumvent regular SE control while text sound effects are active.

however that pinpoints the error enough that you should make one more test, and have two workaround options.

1) please test if stop SE is always disabled or only if the command before it is a show text.
I doubt that the command is completely disabled because that would have been discovered years ago.
But I also know that yanfly added code to check for command sequences, including the option to combine several show text one after another.
So this problem might only be there if the stop se is directly following a show text, and you might circumvwent it by placing other harmless commands between (comments, wait (1 frame) or a control variable setting a useless temp variable)

2) with this specific pinpointing, you can request a bugfix or compatibility patch as regular and might have good chances to get it
(the full plugin list from your main project would have everyone outright refusing to look for compatibility problems)
Sorry for the late reply. Had some challenges in everyday life that demanded my attention...

I tested in a new project, and stop SE is always disabled when the text is making sound... if I remove the text and have just the dialogue, STOP SE works. Also if I put PLAY SE and STOP SE before text, it works. But it looks wierd if the player first hears the whole text, and then gets to read it...

Anyway, it's definitely because of the plugin.

Is there no way to have the text sound effect on while dialogue is played, and then dialogue stopped if player presses skip? Right now I have the text sound off, but I really like the sound effect... just not at the expense of the dialogue recordings overlapping when the player continually presses skip...

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Here's the combat sprite of Azrael one of the main characters of our game,
with and without weapon.
https://discord.gg/Q2uS6Str
The one thing I've always struggled with is creating a story, it halts every single project I've ever worked on. We must be in the twilight zone because I've actually come up with a plot, from beginning to end (it kinda wrote itself). I may very well be on my way to creating my first proper little game, yay!
Oh, wow!
6VDEms4.png

Still need one or two "placeholder" asset things and then I'm venturing into custom windows + menus!
(I'm a little scared, lol)
In the past hour I've both joined and left the RPG Maker subreddit. So many memories were made. Power to the gam mak!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pichenotte3