Yanfly Message Backlog crashing? Also possibly some other plugins crash because of it?

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by Captain_Joshua, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Captain_Joshua

Captain_Joshua Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I installed the yanfly message backlog plugin.
    However, it just was not doing anything for some reason when I pressed shift, which is the default button for opening up the backlog. So I changed it to U. This also did not yield any results.

Otherwise I ocmpletly left the options the way they were when I downloaded the plugin, changing nothing. I looked through the plugins notes and discovered the the a command that was ment to enabel the message backlog ingame. So I decided to do just that, which caused the error shown in the second picture, where it also mentions a bunch of other unrelated plugins? I don´t quite understand what any of them have to do with the message backlog...

Either way, The third picture shows the event that causes the game to crash. It crashes at the very beginning the second the plugin command activates. Why does this happen and how do I stop it from happening?

Originally this thread was posted on the steam forums. After a suggestion to reorder my plugins in the order that is on the official yanfly website I did so, which unfortunately did nothing to fix the problem.

Thank you very much for your help.

Edit: fixed the link.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Please post a screenshot of your plugin manager - if it takes several screens, then please post several screenshots.

Yanfly's plugins have to be in exactly the right order to work.

Your screenshot also links to the "you are leaving steam" page. You might want to replace it with a direct link, or even better, embed the image(s) into your post so we don't have to leave the forum at all.

3. ramza

ramza Lunatic Coder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Make sure you're not testing from a save game from before you added the plugin. A lot of yanfly plugins require that a fresh save be used after installing, as they load a lot of information when they first load the database, and the save files don't update this information.

4. Captain_Joshua

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have taken screenshots of the plugin list, which are attached to this post. I hope it works correctly, I am not that experienced with these forums.

I did in fact make sure to always start a new game. Unfortunately, that did not make any difference.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      282.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      231.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      235.4 KB
      Views:
  5. ramza

ramza Lunatic Coder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I just looked through the plugin, and I don't see where the function it's calling on lines 457 and 460 are defined. The two plugin command below it on lines 463 and 466 are defined starting on line 419.

This looks like an actual legit bug in the plugin. A weird one, because this would happen to literally everyone who uses it, as soon as they use the plugin command to enable it.

The thing is though, that there is a plugin parameter to have it turned on by default, so you only need to use the plugin command in your event to turn it on or off specifically. Set it to be enabled by default in the plugin parameters, and it will likely still work.

6. Captain_Joshua

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That is essentially what I had. It is ment to be activated by default. As you may see, I have all of them activated to be on by default...unfortunately enough, it still refuses to activate when the key is pressed in game. if I use the command that forces the game to open the backlog, it does work. But I can´t seem to find a way for it to be always available to the player because, for some reason, it just won´t work if it´s mapped to a key.

Attached Files: