Yanfly Sideview NoMethodError

Discussion in 'RGSSx Script Support' started by mucka33, Oct 27, 2019.

1. mucka33

mucka33 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi all. I have a frustrating glitch occurring with Yanfly's Sideview (Yanfly Engine Ace - Visual Battlers v1.01) script.
    [​IMG]
    In battle, the characters step forward to attack, and then step back into place when their attack is done. However, every once in a while (seems to happen only when I have 4 party members?) if a character lands the fatal hit, they won't step back into their regular place, and the game crashes.
    [​IMG]
    The error directs me to here in the script:
    [​IMG]

From what I understand, it's failing to create a spot for the character to move back to? If anyone has any workarounds for this, or any way to create a failsafe to stop the script from crashing, I'd really appreciate it.
    I'll paste my full script here too, since I've tweaked some of the editable areas, and maybe those are interfering with the process (perhaps where I've set my characters to stand?)

Pastebin:

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: After further testing, it appears this glitch starts to happen after one specific scripted battle. I'll have to do more testing later, after work, to see what's causing the script to fail because of the fight.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  2. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I don't get why Yanfly used @ screen_x, but try to change line 311 and 312 to this?
    Code:
    @move_x_rate = [(screen_x - @destination_x).abs / frames, 2].max
    @move_y_rate = [(screen_y - @destination_y).abs / frames, 2].max

3. mucka33

mucka33 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks for the answer! Unfortunately, that doesn't fix the problem, but it was worth a shot! :(

BUT! Great news, I have located the problem...sort of? Apparently whenever I have 5+ party members, that's the point where the crashes start to occur. Having 4 or fewer is fine, but 5 and up...is crashing the game for whatever reason. Gonna test now to see if it's some of my other scripts interfering with something.

Update: it appears the Classical Active Time Battle script is interfering in some way. Removing that script causes the glitch to disappear. That script is as follows:

Redownloading the original script does not fix the error, so it appears to be a compatibility issue.

Really not sure where to start looking.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  4. Roninator2

Roninator2 Gamer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    requires Ace Battle Engine. Interesting it did not give you any problems. I was wondering what your CATB script showed was.
    There may be issues as well with the script order. Yanfly's scripts do have a best order to them.
    You should have
    Yanfly Core Ace
    Yanfly Battle ace
    YSA CATB
    Yanfly Visual Battlers

5. mucka33

mucka33 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I tried adding the Core Ace and rearranging the scripts, but the problem persisted. Thanks for the advice though! Seems like it's a compatibility issue.

I've downloaded Jet's Viewed Battle System script and it seems to be working fine with my other scripts while still providing close to what I wanted. I'll be using that instead, I guess.

Thanks to everyone who posted though! I appreciate the help because I certainly never know where to start.