illuminate001

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Hey everyone,

My game is coming along nicely now, but last night I got this error that at times will cause the game to crash upon entry. The window states:

"Script 'YEZ Job System: Classes' line 540: NoMethodError occurred. Undefined method 'include?' for nil:nilClass"

Heres the sequence of events, help me solve this mystery pls.

1. Last night I commented out various battle/menu commands like Camp, Tactics, Passives and Attack (in my game all forms of attacking are skill based). But I stayed above the "do not edit past this point" segments at all times.

2. Added premade Skill (Heal) via Database Editor > Classes > Skills to Learn, to a new character(actor) with a new class I invented, lets call him CharaX using ClassX. I havent done anything to the new class except name it, added elemental/state resistances via Database Editor. If CharaX is in the party the game crashes immediately.

3. So then I experimented. I changed up the party, excluding CharaX. Game now crashes upon battle entry.

4. I removed the premade Skill and game runs fine. Made a new custom simple skill as a test and tried to assign it to ClassX via Database Editor > Classes > Skills to Learn. Still crashes in the same circumstances as above.

5. Removed test skill, changed party added back CharaX, game runs fine. NOW if I add any of the premade characters to the party like Ralph or Ulrika, game crashes upon battle entry. Mysterious huh!

Here is the offending script segment: 

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# new method: class_skills
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
def class_skills
result = []
for i in @skills
next unless YEZ::JOB::COMMON_SKILLS_LIST.include?(i)
result.push($data_skills)
end
return result unless $imported["JobSystemBase"]
for i in @skills
next unless YEZ::JOB::CLASS_SKILLS_LIST[@class_id].include?(i) or
YEZ::JOB::CLASS_SKILLS_LIST[subclass_id].include?(i) or
YEZ::JOB::CLASS_SKILLS_LIST[0].include?(i)
result.push($data_skills)
end
return result
end

And the "YEZ Job System: Classes" Script I've been using: http://pastebin.com/Hx6GrPzS

My hunch is that one can no longer rely on the Database editor because of the Yanfly engine, and to get it to work I'll have to really get in there and make sure each character and class is mentioned and defined via the script and not via the easy WSYIWYG Database editor. =( 

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Gosh, your post is so hard to read. Different fonts, different font sizes, different colours, some with background colour. I'm not even going to read it, because I'm focussing more on how hard it is to read than what you've actually written. If you JUST use the default font and don't try to make it fancy, it'll be much easier for people to identify the important parts.

Which of those lines in the "offending script segment" (would look better if you used code tags) is 540?

The script says it requires the YEZ Skill Command Selection. Do you have it?

Is this in a new game, or have you loaded a game you'd saved prior to adding the script? If the latter, try getting rid of all your old save files and ONLY using save files from NEW games after the script was installed.

illuminate001

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Hey Shaz,

I was trying to make it more legible but turns out it had the opposite effect. Perhaps this is better.

Line 540 is "next unless YEZ::JOB::CLASS_SKILLS_LIST[@class_id].include?(i) or", sorry I don't really know what you mean by code tags. Is it a function on this forum like "[codetag] [/codetag]"?

Here's my tinkered with version of the YEZ Skill Command Selection: http://pastebin.com/d9e230ZC

Yup this is a brand spanking new game. I got RPG Maker VX, didnt alter a thing than immediately pulled in the Yanfly Zealous Scripts. Then started customizing, no save files were made. I just use Playtest.

Thanks for taking the time to check this out btw.

Venka

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
it's looking for something like

module YEZ

module JOB

CLASS_SKILLS_LIST = blah blah

end

end

since you edited the stuff out, when it goes to look for what should be there, it's finding nothing and doesn't know what to do. You'll either have to edit the scripting party to reflect your changes in to customize section, or leave the customize section there and see if there's an option for no skills in that section

illuminate001

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Ok, have most of today to try and solve this. I *think* I know what you mean Venka, although I find it strange that commenting out some menu commands would cause it to break. I only removed them as selectable options from the menu, its not like I actually deleted the code that governs the job class system itself.

Im going to see if populating "CLASS_SKILLS_LIST = blah blah" will help today. And post back my findings :)

So I need to find the script where classes are defined. And so something like the following:

module YEZ

module JOB

CLASS_SKILLS_LIST = [0..200]

end

end

So "CLASS_SKILLS_LIST = etc" doesnt appear in Yez Job System: Classes. Tried adding it in and calling out the min-max skill range. Still crashes.

But I found 2 scripts that I had installed thinking they were for Zealous engine but were actually for Yanfly's Melody Engine:

Yanfly Engine Melody - Skill Equip System

Yanfly Engine Melody - Skill Overhaul

Once I deleted these scripts I was able to make brand new skills and assign them to my custom classes and have them show up in battle, no problem.

I'm bummed though because I really liked that equip system script. It allowed me to set a max # of skill that each character could take into battle.

Kyutaru

Software Engineer & Ninja
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You can still use a skill equip system.  I believe the functionality that you're looking for exists in one of Fomar's scripts.  He essentially creates new slots that you can equip skills to, allowing a sort of Final Fantasy VII Materia system.

illuminate001

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Cool, I'll totally look into that. Thank you! I just hope it has a pretty good chance of being compatible with Zealous. 

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

hmmm. an art of mine was removed from reddit, for a reason not even listed.
Going to try my luck with Rust programming language. C++ is just way too gosh darn frustrating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shiresu