Yanfly's Counter Control - I just don't get it!

Damascus7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've watched Yanfly's tutorial and his whole guide, but for whatever reason, I just don't understand how this plugin works.

I want to start off by giving one of my actors a skill called "Riposte." It gives the actor a state for 1 turn that allows him to counter any attack he receives with a regular attack. I've created a custom state with the following tag in it: <Counter Skills: 1> But it isn't triggering any counterattacks while it's active.

On the more advanced side, I want another skill called "Perfect Guard" which will make the user automatically evade the next attack that targets him. I've heard this is possible with Counter Control, but have no idea how to go about it.

Last edited:

Riff

Eorzean
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello there!
I believe what you have done is just setting what the actors counter with. They still have their individual chances to counter. If you want them to always counter, increase the counter rate (under EX param) to 100%.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
please give a link to the plugin's website, and show screenshots of the skill and state you made.

One possible cause might be a misinterpretation of the timing. If you set the duration of a state to 1, then that is the current turn only - and it will only start after the skill was called, meaning that the riposte will only work for part of the current turn, not for the entire turn.

Damascus7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry, I added a link to the first post!

Hello there!
I believe what you have done is just setting what the actors counter with. They still have their individual chances to counter. If you want them to always counter, increase the counter rate (under EX param) to 100%.
This worked perfectly. Thanks for helping me out, I'd never dealt with counters in this program before and didn't know how to do them at all.

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry, I added a link to the first post!

This worked perfectly. Thanks for helping me out, I'd never dealt with counters in this program before and didn't know how to do them at all.
One other thing to know about the counter control plugin is that actors can have multiple counter attacks set. Your state adds skill 1 to the list of possible counters, but if you have another state that adds a different skill, and both of them have the same requirements set, either one could go off (although in this case I think it'd always be skill 1 because it has the lowest Id).

Damascus7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for letting me know! At the moment I only have one Skill that triggers a counterattack, and only one type of counterattack, so I think I should be good if it stays that way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Profile Posts

A mousefolk sprite I made, I think I did good.
Discovering math. functions for damage formulas was one of the greatest things for me.
It's very useful for balancing skills to work in a variety of possible circumstances.
For example if you have a skill that is supposed to work for both mages and warriors:
Code:
Math.max(a.atk * 2 - b.def, a.mat * 2 - b.mdf)
SpaceX: First-ever successful (manned) commercial spaceflight!! In these terrible and self-sabotaging times for the world, that's a ray of excitement and hope I needed badly.
GameDevJohn wrote on whtdragon's profile.
Hey I used you bunny and cat spritesheet for a game jam game. Thanks so much! You have really beautiful stuff here. I'll credit you at https://gamedevjohn.itch.io/bunny-boy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abhikhurana