Yanfly's CTB and speed management

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
There are a couple things about this battle system that are unclear to me.

a) is there a way to give a "preparation" speed value to a skill, for instance if a character with a speed of 200 does a skill that takes a long time to prepare (say, -50 speed), then the character's speed will be decreased and he might cast his spell after some enemies have already played (for instance enemies with a speed of 180), whereas he would have played BEFORE these enemies had he just attacked normally.

Yanfly's script has a million tags but they are not always super clear, like <After CTB: x%>
I wonder if there is a way to just dynamically alter speed, which brings me to the second point...

b) Is the database value of a skill's speed included at all in the CTB battle system?
I'm talking about the "speed" value you can put just below the "invocation" written in bold on a skill database page. Normally this is the "preparation speed" I need but I've got the impression whatever you put, the CTB doesn't give a **** about it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who's used this script and might be able to help me out.

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
From what I've seen the attack speed for skills and weapons is not used in CTB, as it is more a go now and do your thing system. I don't think I've yet played a CTB game where if you used attack it would put you back in the queue and have you go later with it.

For addressing it, I'd consider how you want it to be handled. A + to attack speed wouldn't work as you'd need to go before your turn now, which can't occur. However maybe it could be used to decide how soon it invokes on a delayed skill?

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
From what I've seen the attack speed for skills and weapons is not used in CTB, as it is more a go now and do your thing system.

I would agree but still sometimes I've had a character move back another one because I picked a skill.
Say it's character A's turn to play, I select one of their skill, and they move behind character B and are shown "preparing" their skill. I wonder how this is determined. I should add both characters had indeed very close AGI stats.

I don't think I've yet played a CTB game where if you used attack it would put you back in the queue and have you go later with it.

Not attack, but a skill, I've had it. Skill had -5 speed which could explain it, the problem is that if I put -500 speed, they don't get moved back accordingly. Really weird.

For addressing it, I'd consider how you want it to be handled. A + to attack speed wouldn't work as you'd need to go before your turn now, which can't occur. However maybe it could be used to decide how soon it invokes on a delayed skill?

Negative speed (delayers) would be easy to manage but it's true positive speed would need to be managed differently, personally I think any positive speed should be put back to the next turn so that the character plays faster. Anyway this is a bit messy I guess and speed generally isn't very well handled in the CTB. It might be better to stick to basic stuff with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

lunarrosecrow wrote on hiddenone's profile.
please don't lurk hiddenone I'm quarantining!!!
lunarrosecrow wrote on Edward.T's profile.
Hello Edward sorry to bother you and didn't start a conversation cause I thought i'd be a little weird or disrespectful but I was wondering do you still have your Generator resources you posted as the links on the page are dead?
Stream will be live shortly! It is my birthday, and thus I am doing an extended stream! I will be doing a variety of things. Among the activities I will be doing: Playing Oceanhorn: Monster of the Uncharted Seas, art, and some Text Adventure~ Feel free to drop by!
It would be cool if you could "copy as code" event commands :< .
Just managed to recover my Yahoo e-mail that i lost 3 months ago. Turns out an IP from U.S had hacked it and set the pass back to normal.. Like WTF ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HannyBee21