Yanfly's Grid Free Doodads plugin lags the menu.

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by Demonbane, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Demonbane

Demonbane a very cool bear Member

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Apparently, Grid Free Doodads made by Yanfly lags my menu when closing it for some reason. I am pretty frustrated that I can't use Doodads because of this. I hope Yanfly can fix this.

2. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom, Ham of a Hamster Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is it on every map? How many doodads these maps use?

3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I've moved this thread to Javascript/Plugin Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

If this were a bug in the plugin itself, it would have received multiple reports about it. As it has not, then it is probably something to do with your combination of plugins.

Are you using anything that changes the Menu in any way? If so, please give a link to that plugin's web page so that if people need to check anything they can do so without having to hunt for it.
    Have you checked that the order of your Yanfly plugins corresponds exactly to the list you find on Yanfly's website? Any alteration at all in the order will produce problems.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Fornoreason1000 likes this.
  4. Fornoreason1000

Fornoreason1000 Black Sheep Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I know i get Huge frame drops when opening and closing the menu and changing scenes, even in vanilla.
    but it's hardly noticeable.

with about 200+ doodads (sometihng like that, i lost count but that's alot!), the lags from the menu becomes more noticeable, however this lag was always there its just getting worse. I've never looked into this, but i know this on cases can cause stuttering if you are using HTML audio from older versions of RPGmaker MV.

no doodads, basic map no plugins and using the inbuilt FPS counter.
    this is on my machine so your may be faster or slower.
    opening the menu: 35 FPS
    closing the Menu: 50FPS

200+ doodads:
    opening the menu: 15 FPS
    closing the menu 30FPS

Like i said, i don't know why this happens yet, but the profiling looks like this.

vanilla.png

doodads.png

so, yeah, 200 doodads make those frames take 2-3 times longer, but they are already taking over 80ms. it isn't directly caused by the Doodads, just if you have enough of them they make an existing problem worse.

I've yet to discover the source of this but my guess is the map is being reloaded each time you enter and exit the menu and because each tile is an object, as well as characters and now doodads as well. this means the engine has to recreate all of them (creating masses of objects isn't cheap) it causes the game to "choke" because it needs redo everything within one frame due to the synchronous nature of the creation.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  5. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom, Ham of a Hamster Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Fornoreason1000
    Precisely.

Fornoreason1000 likes this.
  6. Demonbane

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I tried it on a completely new project with only yanfly's core engine plugin and doodads plugin installed and it delays the menu a second or two before it close the menu.
    I thought moghunter's menu was the culprit at first but I tried it on a new project with only yanfly's core engine and the doodads plugin but it still produces the same delay when closing the menu but it doesn't delay when opening and closing other commands on the menu just the closing itself.

Here's a pic and gif showing the test.

Game without doodads plugin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Game with doodads plugin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note:
    I am using version 1.5.2 of rpgmaker mv (coz some plugins I use are not compatible even with the stable version 1.6.1) so I am not sure if the same thing occurs on 1.6.1. I don't even know if yanfly already updated his doodads plugin to 1.6.1 compatibility...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  7. Aloe Guvner

Aloe Guvner Walrus Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Even though it's not what you're reporting, in the gif you posted there's another issue that the actor faces not showing up in the menu the first time you open it. This is a bug in the doodads plugin, the author overwrites the 'ImageManager.isReady' function for an unknown reason and it causes that issue.

8. Demonbane

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I did notice that but I thought it's just my screen recorder. Thank you for pointing that out.