Status
Not open for further replies.

Arty Decco

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
I really want to understand what the Hell I am supposed to do to implement armor-scaling in yanfly's plugin. However, the videos go so fast, that you are more confused after watching them, than before doing so. It appears to me that Yanfly plays the biggest part in the plugin business of rpg maker mv. Why then, do the "instructional" videos go by so fast that they only muddy the waters??!! This is ok if it is simple, but when you see things change on the screen rapidly, second by second...you get totally lost. Also, reading the instructions gives you zero help. They give you these formulas for armor piercing, etc. and tell you absolutely nothing about where they actually go, how many have to be implemented, etc. Is there anybody out there that can tell me what good this plugin does, if you pretty much have to mind-read yanfly to understand it??!!. I find it easier to figure out complex events, than this plugin. If this was something minor, like making an interface look different, it would be one thing.

However, this attempts to, and in fact, claims to tackle a matter that can actually make or break the entire game-making experience....game balance. This aspect is, without a doubt "THE" most important part of the whole process. This is because of how increases in armor and weapons, can adversely affect the regular a.atk.-b.def formula...thus making the game reach a point where damage can drop to zero. Something that fixes this is, in my opinion, so important to game balance, that complicating it to folks that are not java-scrip geniuses, or regular geniuses for that matter...can make the average person, either (a) give up in disgust, after spending countless hours, trying to adjust weapon, armor, and enemy damage. (b)not give up, but shorten their games, to avoid so many of these calculating hours, or (c) say, to Hell with balance, and just let things ride on story alone. 

I do not believe I am not alone in this general desire for game balance, as evidenced by so many, many posts about it. I may be one of the firsts, to bring up the question about the ambiguity of this particular plugin, I don't know. However, I have noticed two things that, if they are not "hot topics", then they should be. (1) yanfly's stuff is so essential to the plugin process, that an overwhelming percentage of his stuff comes with the software on day one, but its complexity varies greatly, as do the instructions...which both go towards defeating the purpose of the "convenience" and "benefits" that plugins are meant for in the first place. and (2) why do the forums, as well as the company in general have "Guidelines" for forum posts, and many other things, like withdrawing popsicle-eating anime pics, etc.......when they use no guidelines about lessening the ambiguity of plugins...even from their own employees??!! If somebody out there can direct me to a site that actually explains yanfly's plugins step by step, or can do so themselves...I would be extremely grateful. Also, if someone can explain why there is no standard for plugin help ambiguity, when there are standards for games themselves...I would surely love to hear it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've moved this thread to JS Plugin Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

um ... I don't think they're meant to be instructional videos.  I think they're just to show the features of the plugins, and since there are so many features, they have to go fast or the videos would be incredibly long.

You could just ask for help instead of getting frustrated and angry - there are many people here who will be happy to go through it with you.  Your wall of text is a lot to read through though, and it could be a bit confusing to see what exactly you need help with (tbh I haven't read it because I don't use the plugin and wouldn't be able to help you).  You could also go to Yanfly's plugin thread where he will personally see your request for help and explain things to you (don't do that now that you've posted this thread, but consider it as a better alternative in the future).  I'm sure someone will be along soon who can help you out.

Zael

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey there Arty,

We've all been frustrated when installing a new Plugin and trying to puzzle out how it works, so hopefully I can help.

I'd like to first jump to Yanfly's defense and say that when you're making Plugins at the breakneck speed that he is, it might be a little bit difficult to completely showcase his Plugins through his videos for the less Javascript savvy RPG Maker MV User. But that is okay because:

Driftwood Gaming has some amazing Tutorials for Yanfly and other people's Plugins, as do a few other people. Drifty also shows you how to do all kinds of other things with RPG Maker MV, and answers many many questions either by taking video requests or replying to his comments. I'd highly recommend his videos and I know for a fact that he has a video on Yanfly's Armor Scaling Plugin that you can find here.

Additionally, you might check out Code Academy if you are interested in learning a little bit more about Javascript and how it works.

If that doesn't help you, then feel free to shoot me a PM, I'm using Yanfly's Armor Scaling myself and I could probably walk you though it if I had to.

As for Forum Standards, I can't answer that question because I am not a moderator or anything like that, just an experienced user.

I hope this was helpful and alleviates some of your frustration. Keep your head up and keep working on your project, everything will come together.

Have a wonderful day, and if you're gaming, may all your loots be phat.

Z

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
why do the forums, as well as the company in general have "Guidelines" for forum posts, and many other things, like withdrawing popsicle-eating anime pics, etc.......when they use no guidelines about lessening the ambiguity of plugins...even from their own employees??!! 

I'm sure you know why that picture was withdrawn, and I'm sure you also know that it's being made available to anyone who really wants it, so we can just ignore that particular part of your complaint.

We don't really have much in the way of guidelines for ANY resources.  People sometimes submit graphic resources that aren't right and need to be modified before they can be used correctly.  Guidelines for posts, obviously, are to make sure the content is meaningful and understandable, and if it's a request, that it's written in such a way that it's got a fair chance of getting a response.

You finding a plugin ambiguous doesn't mean everyone else is going to find it ambiguous.  You haven't said how long you've been using RPG Maker, if MV is the first one for you, or what experience you have.  Given that you're a new member, we could assume you're pretty much a beginner, and scripts/plugins aren't really beginner material, so there's no doubt you're going to run into some problems, and Yanfly's plugins are some of the most complex because of their flexibility.

The day we start telling people what they can and can't submit, and what they have to provide with every submission, is the day many people will stop making resources or sharing them here.  It is preferable to us to have more content being created and some people needing a helping hand to be able to use it, than less content being created because the creator has to jump through hoops to make sure it's "easy enough" for every single person to use.  Remember, we know that if you run into problems, there are people here who are able to help you out.  You just have to ask for help and work with the people who respond to get it up and running.  And no matter how much effort was put into instructional videos, there will ALWAYS be people who just don't understand and need more help.

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Arty Decco

Keep in mind that most people who create and share plugins with the community do so for free and they write instructions as best they can for others to use. You aren't paying them anything for it, so I have no idea why you feel so entitled. Stop yelling at the person handing out free bicycles because they aren't also teaching you how to ride them (even though I'm sure they would if you just asked nicely...).

Yanfly even goes above and beyond and makes videos to showcase what his plugins do - something not many plugin creators actually do as it takes a lot of time, so I think it extremely unfair that you are berating him for all the hard work and time he spends helping this community. There are help files, plugin help documentation and an entire forum here where you can learn and ask questions.

Asking nicely around here will get you much further on your way to game making. :)

Arty Decco

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
@Arty Decco

Keep in mind that most people who create and share plugins with the community do so for free and they write instructions as best they can for others to use. You aren't paying them anything for it, so I have no idea why you feel so entitled. Stop yelling at the person handing out free bicycles because they aren't also teaching you how to ride them (even though I'm sure they would if you just asked nicely...).

Yanfly even goes above and beyond and makes videos to showcase what his plugins do - something not many plugin creators actually do as it takes a lot of time, so I think it extremely unfair that you are berating him for all the hard work and time he spends helping this community. There are help files, plugin help documentation and an entire forum here where you can learn and ask questions.

Asking nicely around here will get you much further on your way to game making. :)

what is it with this forum here??!! if somebody offers criticism (constructive or otherwise) in any way shape or form...they are labeled as some kind of damn leper. This is not a forum...it is a kangaroo court.. I asked a valid question, and all Hell broke loose. I asked where to get a better explanation about something, and about why there were standards for games and not plugins. And what happens?.....I get some song and dance about Yanfly, designed, I guess, to make me feel bad. If I had anything to say "TO" or "ABOUT" yanfly... I would say it directly to yanfly. I asked a question, and I damn sure didn't twist anybody's arm to answer it. The more posts I read on this forum...the more I begin to wonder if some of the posters here care more about "protecting their own" than they do about answering questions. Ask nicely??!! What about answering nicely...instead of trying to make somebody feel bad, just for asking questions, or expressiing their opinions about "THINGS"....not people. 

Let me repeat this....If I wanted to say anything about "YANFLY" I would say it directly "TO YANFLY". I don't know what you get out of trying to chastise me on this forum, and frankly, I don't care. Now I don't know you, and I don't really care what you think or don't think about me. Just like I said, when I told you that, if I had something to say directly to Yanfly, I would say it to yanfly......it goes for you too. I did not twist your arm to reply to the post I made, and I surely did not ask you to lecture me on ethics. It is of no consequence to me, what relationship you have or do not have with Yanfly or anyone else on this forum. I do, however take issue with your assessment of what I said, your attempt to make me out to other viewers here to be "MEAN", and your hypocritical remark about being "Nice" while you villify me. If you have some kind of vendetta towards me, then send me a private email, and I will be more than glad to take it up with you. If you want to make me look bad here or villify me in any way, then answer somebody else's posts, and leave mine alone.

Iavra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

Arty Decco

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
I'm sure you know why that picture was withdrawn, and I'm sure you also know that it's being made available to anyone who really wants it, so we can just ignore that particular part of your complaint.

We don't really have much in the way of guidelines for ANY resources.  People sometimes submit graphic resources that aren't right and need to be modified before they can be used correctly.  Guidelines for posts, obviously, are to make sure the content is meaningful and understandable, and if it's a request, that it's written in such a way that it's got a fair chance of getting a response.

You finding a plugin ambiguous doesn't mean everyone else is going to find it ambiguous.  You haven't said how long you've been using RPG Maker, if MV is the first one for you, or what experience you have.  Given that you're a new member, we could assume you're pretty much a beginner, and scripts/plugins aren't really beginner material, so there's no doubt you're going to run into some problems, and Yanfly's plugins are some of the most complex because of their flexibility.

The day we start telling people what they can and can't submit, and what they have to provide with every submission, is the day many people will stop making resources or sharing them here.  It is preferable to us to have more content being created and some people needing a helping hand to be able to use it, than less content being created because the creator has to jump through hoops to make sure it's "easy enough" for every single person to use.  Remember, we know that if you run into problems, there are people here who are able to help you out.  You just have to ask for help and work with the people who respond to get it up and running.  And no matter how much effort was put into instructional videos, there will ALWAYS be people who just don't understand and need more help.

what you said is a "fair" and reasonable explanation. However the response I got from Galv or whoever it is, was a direct attempt to vilify me and to try to make me feel somehow guilty about expressing my opinion of "SOME THING" and not "SOME BODY" This is why I replied to that post. Yes, I am not perfect, and yes, you could call me a beginner. I agree with what you are saying here. I do not agree with people trying to read more into something I say, and twisting it into a way of vilifying me. Being a moderator, I would hope that you understand that my question was just that...a question, and it was not any kind of disparaging remark about anyone's contributions to this software,and/or this forum. I respectfully disagree with you on one thing. No, I do not understand why the picture was pulled. This is my opinion, and just that...my opinion. I tend to agree with some posts that label that move as a weak excuse......not because of the few pics, but because of the removal of the other acceptable content. again, it is just my opinion, and stems only from reading posts on the forum regarding the issue. 

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Please understand that your opinions are valid.  It's your delivery that's questionable and that put people on the defense.  Your post really came across as a rant from someone who just wanted to complain about something rather than actually ask for help.  When you start a thread with a post that's really quite long and comprises mainly of verbal attacks against a well-known and popular forum member who provides many script resources, you probably should expect that people are going to jump to their defense.  You say you just posted a question and no kind of disparaging remark about anyone's contributions to the software and/or forum, but if you re-read your post, you'll see that's exactly what you did - at least in the view of every other person who read it.  I get that it came from frustration and may not have been meant as an attack, but it almost did come across that way.

All I can suggest is that when you're having trouble with something, you spend a BIT of time trying to work it out yourself - not hours, that's just silly when help is so readily available.  Then take a few minutes to walk away from it, calm yourself if you've gotten worked up about it (which I assume you were when you wrote that post because of the words you use), and then come back and ask for help without the emotion.  Simply state what you're having problems with and what you've tried to do to get it working, then leave it at that - if people need more info they'll ask you.

While some of the replies to you were a bit over the top (and I've been guilty of that myself sometimes, when people come in clearly heated and looking to take their anger out on someone), it only happened because of the comments you made about the videos.  If you had just said they moved too fast for you to follow, this would have unfolded in a very different way.  This really is a very friendly and supportive forum, but you've got to get your topics started on the right foot so people will want to help you :)   I hope you'll give yourself, and us, a chance to prove that.

Galv

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
what is it with this forum here??!! if somebody offers criticism (constructive or otherwise) in any way shape or form...they are labeled as some kind of damn leper. This is not a forum...it is a kangaroo court.. I asked a valid question, and all Hell broke loose. I asked where to get a better explanation about something, and about why there were standards for games and not plugins. And what happens?.....I get some song and dance about Yanfly, designed, I guess, to make me feel bad. If I had anything to say "TO" or "ABOUT" yanfly... I would say it directly to yanfly. I asked a question, and I damn sure didn't twist anybody's arm to answer it. The more posts I read on this forum...the more I begin to wonder if some of the posters here care more about "protecting their own" than they do about answering questions. Ask nicely??!! What about answering nicely...instead of trying to make somebody feel bad, just for asking questions, or expressiing their opinions about "THINGS"....not people. 

Let me repeat this....If I wanted to say anything about "YANFLY" I would say it directly "TO YANFLY". I don't know what you get out of trying to chastise me on this forum, and frankly, I don't care. Now I don't know you, and I don't really care what you think or don't think about me. Just like I said, when I told you that, if I had something to say directly to Yanfly, I would say it to yanfly......it goes for you too. I did not twist your arm to reply to the post I made, and I surely did not ask you to lecture me on ethics. It is of no consequence to me, what relationship you have or do not have with Yanfly or anyone else on this forum. I do, however take issue with your assessment of what I said, your attempt to make me out to other viewers here to be "MEAN", and your hypocritical remark about being "Nice" while you villify me. If you have some kind of vendetta towards me, then send me a private email, and I will be more than glad to take it up with you. If you want to make me look bad here or villify me in any way, then answer somebody else's posts, and leave mine alone.

I was offering criticism to you on how to approach getting help here as the way you were going about it did not come across as nice at all. Nothing more I can say with that response from you, though - I apologise and I hope you get the help you need.

LeeOccleshaw

Stone Dragon Workshop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If you plan on making a game, want to have extra features and you can't write plugins yourself, you're going to have to learn to solve these kinds of 'issues' using trial & error tactics with a lot of Googling and asking of questions. It may seem overwhelming at first but after a few months of improving your abilities and getting to know the software you'll find it a lot easier to make sense of peoples plugins and have a broader idea of how a few things work.

If you spend longer here, you will notice that the plugin writers dedicate themselves to helping people like us entirely for free and then they even allow us to use their work in our commercial projects too. It looks really brash for you to unleash your criticism in such an aggressive tone (you directly insult all of his instructional videos in your topic title) and responding like that can only ever be seen as villainous given the true helpfulness of these people.

Spend more time experimenting and less time complaining!  :popcorn:

Kaliya

// Caffeine Overload
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow this got a bit out of hand if i do say so myself. I want to first say that "Complex events" are no where near as complex as even your typical plugin, especially one such as armor scaling where you need to have a decent sense of math for it to even work in a nice way. It is like comparing apples to oranges. That aside, the videos are not tutorial videos, they are brief feature overviews to show off a plugins capabilities. Yanfly doesn't have the time, nor budget to sit there and make 30min long tutorial videos for every single plugin. He does his best however to provide detailed instructions in the plugins help file. Have you tried looking there? If you have and still don't understand it, why don't you take it step by step instead of coming off as attacking someone? Why don't you ask specific questions about it, like "How do I do X", or "Why is Y happening?".  

Arty Decco

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Please understand that your opinions are valid.  It's your delivery that's questionable and that put people on the defense.  Your post really came across as a rant from someone who just wanted to complain about something rather than actually ask for help.  When you start a thread with a post that's really quite long and comprises mainly of verbal attacks against a well-known and popular forum member who provides many script resources, you probably should expect that people are going to jump to their defense.  You say you just posted a question and no kind of disparaging remark about anyone's contributions to the software and/or forum, but if you re-read your post, you'll see that's exactly what you did - at least in the view of every other person who read it.  I get that it came from frustration and may not have been meant as an attack, but it almost did come across that way.

All I can suggest is that when you're having trouble with something, you spend a BIT of time trying to work it out yourself - not hours, that's just silly when help is so readily available.  Then take a few minutes to walk away from it, calm yourself if you've gotten worked up about it (which I assume you were when you wrote that post because of the words you use), and then come back and ask for help without the emotion.  Simply state what you're having problems with and what you've tried to do to get it working, then leave it at that - if people need more info they'll ask you.

While some of the replies to you were a bit over the top (and I've been guilty of that myself sometimes, when people come in clearly heated and looking to take their anger out on someone), it only happened because of the comments you made about the videos.  If you had just said they moved too fast for you to follow, this would have unfolded in a very different way.  This really is a very friendly and supportive forum, but you've got to get your topics started on the right foot so people will want to help you :)   I hope you'll give yourself, and us, a chance to prove that.

my apologies to all those who took exception to my original post. I respectfully withdraw the opinions expressed in that original post and any follow-up quotes that I posted on these forums. Going forward, I will use other avenues to obtain answers to any future questions I may have concerning this software.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You're more than welcome to come here to ask questions.  Just try and do it in a way that doesn't come across as insulting to our resource providers ;)

I'm going to go ahead and lock this now.  If you do want help with this plugin, please post a new thread explaining what you want to do, what's not working, and what you've tried (screenshots showing how things are set up are often helpful if you've got that far).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Who's a fan of firearms? The 5 on the bottom row (not including the green laser ones) I made pretty recently. I plan for most of these to be in my project.

Screenshot 2021-09-28 165924.png
Doing RPG Maker News for 28th September 2021

RMMV - Skip script errors:

For game developer testing purposes.
You know, I really get to farm likes since I post all of @Avery and @hiddenone 's blog tutorials on the forums...
Back from a very long hiatus with a new project woo
This is my battler placeholder image trying out art styles too I want to fake a backview battle system
I think I will want portraits and battle sprites to be 2D and stick to pixel art for overworld not 100%sure but pretty sure its easier to make pixel art for overworld sprites, events and maps and stuff.
Placeholder.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1lamv