YED sideview conditional extension request.

Skurge

" (GASP) What's going on!? "
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello everyone, I've been doing some research into Yanfly's sideview plugin and come to the realization that I cannot process different immersive sprite sheets of party members wielding varying weapons with there own animation configuration in there note tags.

REFERENCE PLUGIN: http://yanfly.moe/2016/01/07/yamis-sideview-enhancement-plugin-updates-77/

My reasons for requiring this plugin is because I want my project to stay relevant with it's visuals, simply put- I can't accept having party members stuck wielding with one type of weapon look taking place of all the ones I have planned made. To me- having a party member equip with a pistol but the actual weapon stats are those of a two handed assault rifle looks lazy and quite frankly bland. Having floating weapon sprites you would normally see on standard RPG Maker games just looks wrong for me.

To put it simply I wish to have a modification made that can allow me to establish conditional branches within the party member note tags.

I.E

>If party member Alex is equip with Pistol
=change side view graphic sheet with Alex_Pistol.PNG
JavaScript:
[<Sideview Battler Frames: 5>

<Sideview Attack Motion Missle>

<Sideview Battler Motion>

Name: Walk

Index: 0

Frames: 5

Loop

speed: 10

</Sideview Battler Motion>

Name: Wait

Index: 1

Loop

speed: 8

Name: chant

Index: 1]
Etc etc.

If I can get this kind of extension made I can give party members even more immersive visuals that would make the battling experience much more enjoyable.

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I feel like Yanfly's Weapon Animation plugin could maybe do this? it lets you change how weapons work in junction with the actors. I don't know too much tho as while I'm using YED myself, it's to draw characters with one weapon already. if that's not helpful tho, then yeah, you might need another plugin.

Skurge

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The problem is as far as I can tell- it can't let you change the sprite sheet and it's animation sequences/frames in the note tags depending on what weapon that party member is equip with.

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hmm I see... only other thing I can think of is Olivia's swap weapon plugin, but that's not quite what you're looking for I feel.

TSR

The Northern Frog
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello there, I don't know if it's gonna work for you but here's a possible workaround using <Custom Execution> notetag from Yanfly Skill Core:
Code:
<Custom Execution>
  if (user.isActor()) {
    if (user.actorId() === 1) {
      if (user.equips()[0] && user.equips()[0].wtypeId === 1) {
         var battlerName = 'Alex_Pistol';
      } else if (user.equips()[0] && user.equips()[0].wtypeId === 2) {
         var battlerName = 'Alex_Other_Weapon';
      }
    } else if (user.actorId() === 2) {

} else if (user.actorId() === 3) {

} else if (user.actorId() === 4) {

} else {
    var battlerName = user._battlerName;
    }
  user.setBattlerImage(battlerName);
  user.refresh();
}
</Custom Execution>
It change the battler sprite sheet based on the weapon type Id (1 or 2 in the above exemple) that is equiped in the first equip slot of the user.
*Actually, you don't need Yanfly Skill Core for this, I just used this notetag as it allow to run code upon skill execution, but this script would work in any way that let you run code at the start of the skill.

Skurge

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Just to understand this while running tests, this note tag works for skill calls? That's just my current understanding at the moment looking at this.

EDIT: I should actually showcase my 2nd party member's note tags.

This note tag is currently assigning this sprite sheet- which is using the weapon ID of 26
CASS_SHOTGUN.jpg
Code:
<Turn Order Icon: 353>
<Turn Order Border Color: 4>
<scaleX:2.0>
<scaleY:2.0>
<Sideview Battler: CASS_SHOTGUN>

<Sideview No Collapse>
<Sideview Dead Motion: dead>

<Sideview Show Shadow>
<Sideview Shadow Width: 10%>
<Sideview Shadow Height: 10%>
<Sideview Battler Size: 57,61>

<Sideview Battler Frames: 5>
<Sideview Attack Motion Missle>

Name: Walk
Index: 0
Frames: 4
Loop
speed: 10

Name: Wait
Loop

Name: chant
Loop

Name: guard
Index: 3
Frames: 9
speed: 5

Name: damage
Index: 4
speed: 5

Name: evade
Index: 5
Speed: 8

Name: swing
Index: 7
Speed: 4

Name: missile
Index: 8
Speed: 5

Name: Skill
Index: 9

Name: spell
Index: 10

Name: item
Index: 11
loop
Speed: 10

Name: escape
Index: 12
Loop
Speed: 6

Name: victory
Index: 13
loop
Speed: 10

Name: dying
Index: 14
loop
Speed: 8

Name: abnormal
Index: 15
loop

Name: sleep
Index: 16
loop

Name: dead
Index: 17
This sprite sheet is featuring the same character but wielding a different shotgun ID 24- it has different animation frames that require different note tags to properly configure in line with the animation sequences, I'm not entirely sure where to put this experiemental conditional branch note tag. I do really appreciate the help!

CASS_DOUBLESHOTGUN.jpg

Last edited:

TSR

The Northern Frog
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello again. If you want to test with this specific notetag I've shown in the above exemple, you'll need Yanfly Skill-Core (free in the DLC). The notetag is to be placed in the notebox of a skill (I guess, in this case, it would be regular attack).

I can't tell how it's gonna behave with the YED_sideview_extension, but it might worth a try.
Code:
<Custom Execution>
  if (user.isActor()) {
    if (user.actorId() === 1) {
      if (user.equips()[0] && user.equips()[0].wtypeId === 1) {
         var battlerName = 'Alex_Pistol';
      } else if (user.equips()[0] && user.equips()[0].wtypeId === 2) {
         var battlerName = 'Alex_Other_Weapon';
      }
    } else if (user.actorId() === 2) {      
         if (user.equips()[0] && user.equips()[0].wtypeId === 24) {
           var battlerName = 'CASS_SHOTGUN';
      } else if (user.equips()[0] && user.equips()[0].wtypeId === 26) {
           var battlerName = 'CASS_DOUBLESHOTGUN';
      }
    } else if (user.actorId() === 3) {

} else if (user.actorId() === 4) {

} else {
    var battlerName = user._battlerName;
    }
  user.refresh();
}
</Custom Execution>
So, you can install YEP_skill-core if not already installed; and put this notetag in the notebox of a skill. Be sure, that the weapon Id and Battler sheet filesname (without extension) are correct.
Run a test and let me know how it goes. Surely, it's gonna change the sprite sheet, I just can't say wether or not the custom frame rate/speed/loop of the extension plugins will be retains...

Skurge

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Threw the code in one of the skills and kept getting this error, unknown what any of these are referring to.

Attachments

TSR

The Northern Frog
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hum... Does it crash when opening the game, entering a battle or when you use the actual skill?
Anyway, as I said, it may not work well with custom sprite sheets... I've tested it and it do what it should do, but I use only default engine SV sprite sheets...

What you could try is changing the actual proprety of the object link to the actor by the plugin notetags. Like this:
Code:
user._sideviewBattler.filename = battlerName;
user.refresh();

//instead of://
user.refresh();
That's a guess, cause I don't own this YED_sideview_extension nor do I have customs sprite sheets to run some tests, so thats the best I can help you right now.

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm curious if you got this to work for you @Skurge... I'd been trying to figure out for my own reasons how to change spritesheets while using YED... I couldn't get this to work.. and I think I FINALLY know why YED is so stubborn about changing graphics.

Basically it reads one set of note tags. when you try to change sheets, it in turn DOES NOT look for different note tags, or that overrides the sheet being changed. I found this out when I found a japanese plugin that ACTUALLY changed the sprite for a YED battler. but... there's a bit of a catch lol.

the catch is that this plugin will essentially use a different spritesheet but it's still reading the original characters notetags. meaning if things are in different spots... 2 things are gonna happen. 1. if the amount of frames are different, you're gonna either get frames cut off or blinking from not enough frames. and 2. if you have say... escape as one index 2 and swing in that same spot on the sheet for the other one... a swing action will happen instead of an escape.

so make sure everything is the same index on every sheet for a particular character. meaning all of CASS's 3 indexes need to be a guard. and if you need to, make empty spots on the main sheet if you know certain actions are going to be radically different on another. mainly if you're using custom motions in certain indexes. here's the link if this is something you'd wanna try... otherwise the only other options I can think of are the Q-Sprite plugin or getting this request through...

Skurge

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
hum... Does it crash when opening the game, entering a battle or when you use the actual skill?
Anyway, as I said, it may not work well with custom sprite sheets... I've tested it and it do what it should do, but I use only default engine SV sprite sheets...

What you could try is changing the actual proprety of the object link to the actor by the plugin notetags. Like this:
Code:
user._sideviewBattler.filename = battlerName;
user.refresh();

//instead of://
user.refresh();
That's a guess, cause I don't own this YED_sideview_extension nor do I have customs sprite sheets to run some tests, so thats the best I can help you right now.
It crashes upon booting up the project in test or battle test, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by those additional steps.

I'm curious if you got this to work for you @Skurge... I'd been trying to figure out for my own reasons how to change spritesheets while using YED... I couldn't get this to work.. and I think I FINALLY know why YED is so stubborn about changing graphics.

Basically it reads one set of note tags. when you try to change sheets, it in turn DOES NOT look for different note tags, or that overrides the sheet being changed. I found this out when I found a japanese plugin that ACTUALLY changed the sprite for a YED battler. but... there's a bit of a catch lol.

the catch is that this plugin will essentially use a different spritesheet but it's still reading the original characters notetags. meaning if things are in different spots... 2 things are gonna happen. 1. if the amount of frames are different, you're gonna either get frames cut off or blinking from not enough frames. and 2. if you have say... escape as one index 2 and swing in that same spot on the sheet for the other one... a swing action will happen instead of an escape.

so make sure everything is the same index on every sheet for a particular character. meaning all of CASS's 3 indexes need to be a guard. and if you need to, make empty spots on the main sheet if you know certain actions are going to be radically different on another. mainly if you're using custom motions in certain indexes. here's the link if this is something you'd wanna try... otherwise the only other options I can think of are the Q-Sprite plugin or getting this request through...
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/futokoro/RPGMaker/master/FTKR_TransformationState.js
I'm actually quite amazed that multible choice of graphic/weapons with this plugin isn't an optional thing despite all other achievements made. To make matters worse for myself- all of my current animations have there own differing frame amounts and sizes- while semi-automatics are easy to formulate in the note tags- Shotguns are a different story for Party Member Cass as her weapon characteristics are more complex to assemble with some guns requiring to be pumped where as the double barrels have different loading animations- less or more frames etc.

This plugin you have provided looks like it could produce results but if it's conflicting with already set graphics and overlapping/flickering it could be more trouble than worth. When I have time to I'll happily give it a shot.

J-G

Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What I typically do is create a common event to active to change my weapons since mine are all in different sheets as well. I just place the common event in troop battle to active during the start of battle.

imcatman

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How about FTKR_TransformationState.js on this site? Although it is a Japanese site, I think it will at least help you.
This changes the actor image depending on the state you are receiving. In my memory it would not have competed with YEDsideview. I don't know if the current version will work, but give it a try
If you have Auto Passive States (YEP), you can apply by putting Passive States in the note tag of the weapon

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I was planning to release a useless plugin for april fools, but then I thought I let it be.
Tfw every dev around me is using Live2D in their MV games and make me question my skills repeatedly.

Spending the day reworking my maps, especially the first "biome". This time it's not even in the dark. :LZSwink:
Activity on the forums has increased lately, probably because of people staying home. The amount of work for moderators has increased lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oersted_LAL