YED/Yanfly Side View Battler Looping/Victory issue.

Skurge

" (GASP) What's going on!? "
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello, um I'm having a slight issue with this plugin in regards to the loop in the note tags for enemies and party members.
I'm not entirely sure but I've run several tests and been checking quite a few times but the victory conditions set in the note tags specifically for Victory do not seem to work.

Two issues I've detected and need verification if anyone else is having this problem and how to fix it.

1. Victory motion loops regardless if I have the note tag removed or not. (I want to animate a party member putting a weapon away and resting on the last frame.
  2. Enemies when defeating you do not use the victory motion and just do the default stance i.e Walk motion index 0
Here is an example of my note tag for this particular party member in regards to the looping issue
Code:
<Sideview Battler Motion>
Name: victory
Index: 13
Frames: 5
Speed: 10
</Sideview Battler Motion>
By all accounts the note tags are supposed to follow what is written in the note tags, why is Victory such an odd case for this?
Now normally I would provide the plugin but I'm not 100% certain if the plugin is free for download at the moment. If anyone who has already aquired this plugin and would like to help me that would be fantastic.

Skurge

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
BUMP:

Also discovered chant doesn't do anything when in note tags.
Not 100% sure but is this partially because it isn't in the motion section of this plugin?
ma.png
Anyone know what on earth is going on?

Last edited:

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here is an example of my note tag for this particular party member in regards to the looping issue
This plugin is for enemies and the note tags are designed to be used in an enemy note tag box. I have been able to set enemy idle motion to the victory motion without any issues. I have to admit, I've never tried using the note tags for actors, but i would guess this is the problem.

Also, I believe there is no victory setting in the plugin because when the enemies win the fight, the game is over essentially, so no need to see an enemy victory pose.

And I could be wrong, but I believe the chant motions and chant animations are handled in the battle engine core and action sequences. The way I've handled the chant motion is with action sequencing in the skill note tag box though, using:

<setup action>
code here
motion user: chant
code here
</setup action>

I could be wrong on this, there may be another way, but i think if you want the actors idle motion to be the victory motion you would need to alter the SV-battler sprite sheet image by manually changing the victory motion cells to where the idle motion cells are with image editing software.

Skurge

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This plugin is for enemies and the note tags are designed to be used in an enemy note tag box. I have been able to set enemy idle motion to the victory motion without any issues. I have to admit, I've never tried using the note tags for actors, but i would guess this is the problem.
Interesting because I have party members and enemies both sharing the same SV frame assignment but i'm confused because there are too many of these darn plugins and I'm starting to forget which one does what and that enemies are different etc. By default both enemies and party members use there frames fine but it's just when it comes down to skills/spells these get blurry for me, it's difficult for me to understand but it seems like I can't have enemies and party members share the same spell note tag handouts? These are the plugins I have by the way.too many plugins.png

Also, I believe there is no victory setting in the plugin because when the enemies win the fight, the game is over essentially, so no need to see an enemy victory pose.
I figured that too might be the reason but when defeated there is that brief pause and message interruption confirming that you've lost the fight I figured would of been reason enough to have this option considering party members and enemies can share the SV motions.

And I could be wrong, but I believe the chant motions and chant animations are handled in the battle engine core and action sequences. The way I've handled the chant motion is with action sequencing in the skill note tag box though, using:

<setup action>
code here
motion user: chant
code here
</setup action>
I might be getting alot of these skills wrong, what is the code I'm supposed to refer to in the note tags?

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unfortunately I don't know if there is a fix with the victory motions without using this Sideview Frame plugin by DreamX. Also, the plugins last update was in 2018, so I'm not sure if any updates Yanfly did (possibly after then, if there were any) addressed any of the issues covered by this other plugin. Anyways, it's worth checking out because it advertises to fix an issue with enemy chant motions, as well as alter the frame loops associated with the motions.

One thing I've noticed about action sequencing is that there are issues with using the same skills for both actors and enemies. As to why that is, I'm not 100% sure. I've just read through older threads addressing action sequences where the common answer is to have separate skills and write the action sequences to fit either an actor or an enemy. Sorry I can't be more help in understanding the 'why' of it all.

I might be getting alot of these skills wrong, what is the code I'm supposed to refer to in the note tags?
I'm sorry, I must be misunderstanding, but what exactly are you trying to achieve in the action list? When I said 'code here' I just meant action sequence tags. For example:

<setup action>
perform start
motion chant: user
animation X: user
</setup action>

My above example is just simply have the actor step forward, do chant motion, and play an 'activation' type of animation to signify the charging of a skill.

One thing that might help is this action sequence editor. I've used it for simpler things, like just getting down the movements for the sprites and stuff, and it works pretty well for that.

Skurge

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Unfortunately I don't know if there is a fix with the victory motions without using this Sideview Frame plugin by DreamX. Also, the plugins last update was in 2018, so I'm not sure if any updates Yanfly did (possibly after then, if there were any) addressed any of the issues covered by this other plugin. Anyways, it's worth checking out because it advertises to fix an issue with enemy chant motions, as well as alter the frame loops associated with the motions.
Kinda pains me to add another plugin just to fix the loop issue but I'll have to look into it. I could always just make an animation that fits the looping like my other party members but I kinda wanted to have a "put away weapon" animation working.

One thing I've noticed about action sequencing is that there are issues with using the same skills for both actors and enemies. As to why that is, I'm not 100% sure. I've just read through older threads addressing action sequences where the common answer is to have separate skills and write the action sequences to fit either an actor or an enemy. Sorry I can't be more help in understanding the 'why' of it all.
Yeah that was going to be my next step essentially, I hate to duplicate skills just to satisfy the conditions of the note tags instead of having them do what I want, fortunately some skills are based of the weapons and they follow the same motions, sadly actions that require chants or spell casting will have to be duplicated which will be annoying in the database as it's nearing quite jam packed of duplicates varying of sound effects.

I'm sorry, I must be misunderstanding, but what exactly are you trying to achieve in the action list? When I said 'code here' I just meant action sequence tags. For example:

<setup action>
perform start
motion chant: user
animation X: user
</setup action>

My above example is just simply have the actor step forward, do chant motion, and play an 'activation' type of animation to signify the charging of a skill.

One thing that might help is this action sequence editor. I've used it for simpler things, like just getting down the movements for the sprites and stuff, and it works pretty well for that.
Oh it just seemed unfamiliar to me because this was for a different plugin and some of the definitions didn't make sense to me, there is so much on the plugin parameters I often leave things by default and when refered to new stuff I get a little lost in the words. Death break is something I've yet to perfect since alot of attacks are automatic weaponry which repeats alot of the action effects, I see death break stops the continuation if the target is killed but I wonder if there is a way to still skip the action effect but still to continue the animations in the note tags. for example if I wanted machine gun overkill to still continually fire on an already dead corpse instead of instantaneously stopping during a barrage of bullets.

Skurge

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't quite understand immortal targets though, are they supposed to be used in the skill on effected targets or are they supposed to be noted in the enemies note tags?

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
They idea behind setting an immortal target is so that the target will not die in the middle of the action sequence, so you set the target to immortal within the action sequence before the action effect (if it deals damage) then remove immortal in the <finish action> phase so that the target will die if its HP has been depleted to zero.

Side note: Another way of handling this is to include a death break so that the action sequence would stop if the target dies while the action sequence is being carried out.

It all depends on the action sequence and the look you're going for really.

Skurge

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah it's a little confusing to format in the notes due to the skills I currently have made which allow multible damage effects from automatic fire, I wish enemies to die the moment they run out of health but it looks awkward when the effects are still running past 0hp on the target and the death animation/frames repeat on each attack. for example this is a note tag I have for a burst fire skill.

Code:
<setup action>
display action
</setup action>
<target Action>
action common event
motion missile: user
wait: 1
animation 3: user
wait: 3
animation 17: user
attack animation: target
action effect
death break
action effect
action effect
action effect
action effect
wait: 6
</target Action>
<finish action>
immortal: targets, false
CLEAR BATTLE LOG
PERFORM FINISH
</finish action>

Skurge

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm not as of yet sure if it works in the enemys note tag or the skill not tag.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What you posted above would need to go into a skill's note tag box.

The Yanfly action sequence tags: setup action, whole action, target action, follow action, and finish action are only for skill note tags. They won't work in an enemy note tag.

If you check out this thread here, you can see a lot of examples of people's action sequences. Maybe looking at what others have done would help you understand them a bit more.

Also, here is an online action sequence editor. You can put in some pretty basic action sequencing and you get to see what it would look like in a side view battle. Once you figure out how to get it working properly, it can actually save some time for testing any action sequences you'd like to try out.

Skurge

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I can see by some examples the immortal note tag is first placed in the finish action part of the sequences, what I'm not 100% sure is what true/false defines specifically as the help file within the action sequence1 plugin does not specifically lay out what it does in that term.
I'm just confused if the true means that the enemy will die midway halting further animation or that false means the target will die midway.

And since my note tag skill has multiple action effects since each attack/animation is repeated will I need to add an immortal tag after each action effect is placed?

I'm sorry if I'm being a pain not understanding this, it's not you're typical RPG combat where it's all just simple sword slashes as I'm using more automatic weaponry or multiple firing skills.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I’ve never tried turning immortal on and off again multiple times in a single action sequence so I don’t really know what to tell you except experiment with it. Are you attempting this and it’s not working?

in the sequence you posted before, I see you turned immortal off at the end, but you never turned it on at the beginning.

edit: immortal in action sequence works just like the immortal state in the database: if it’s true the battler cannot die even if hp is <=0

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

ESAMarathon on Twitch, now streaming "Eat Girl". Yep, that's the title of a game... Apparently it's a Pacman knockoff.... Which is of course the only logical conclusion one would get from a name like "Eat Girl". :kaopride: I can't believe anybody would think anything else! :kaoback:
Super stoked i just finished my first town in my project, by finished i mean i can always add more decorative aesthetics and the NPCs don't talk yet but the mapping is complete and all the important chess pieces are present!
My brain: Hey, I have an idea how to make the transition to the main story quest in The Wastes more natural!
Me: Good!
My brain: You need to remake the hotel you start out in, it's not realistic enough.
Me: Ok... This was unexpected, but I can do it.
My brain: Now make each hotel floor 5 times as large to match the main part. Oh, you also need to make a bunch of new npcs to fill in the space on these maps.
Me: Crap.
Should be able to release Haxe MV/MZ next weekend.
It look that somehow MZ tracks are messed up (for example battle4 is obviously a theme, castle2 is a ship, ship1 is a scene and so on..). Maybe they just named them after with some ambiguity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zhengdddddd