Johnboy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Greetings all!

I have a new action sequence for you. It is the cleave skill from D&D, slightly modified. In this case if the skill reduces a targets HP to 0 or less, a second cleave is activated and deals damage to a random target.

This one had me stumped for a bit since my js knowledge is rather limited. I'm still not happy with the final result, as the way it's currently designed it is very limited, which I will explain as we go through and create the skill. This is not too difficult with this setup, as we create a skill and a common event. Let's get started.

The following plugins are REQUIRED:
YEP Battle Engine Core
YEP Action Sequence 1,2,3

Create a skill as shown in the following screen:
20170514220714_1.jpg
Note that you can change the TP cost, damage formula, variance, and critical hit to whatever you desire. For simplicity sake I simply used default settings. I used animation 0023 to set it apart from other skills.
The following goes in the notebox:
<setup action>
clear battle log
display action
perform start
wait for movement
immortal: targets, true
wait for animation
</setup action>

<whole action>
</whole action>

<target action>
motion attack: user
action animation: target
wait for animation
action effect: target
wait for effect
if target.hp > 0
break action
else
wait: 60
common event: 1
</target action>

<follow action>
</follow action>

<finish action>
perform finish
face user: forward
clear battle log
immortal: targets, false
</finish action>

You will note we have used new arguments: if target.hp > 0, break action and common event: 1. In this case "if" is used to tell the action sequence to do more if the condition is met, in this case if the target's hp is greater than 0, then break action. "Break action" is used to skip the rest of the sequence, in this case if the target is still alive then skip common event 1.

Now we create common event 1 as shown in these screens:
20170514221910_1.jpg
20170514221758_1.jpg

This is where the limitation comes in. Since we are using a common event, the skill has to be used by a specific actor. In this case since "Harold" is the one with the cleave skill, he uses it. The target is random, which means that there is a chance that the same target could be hit that was just killed. You could select an index here, which would force it to automatically hit the enemy in that spot, and then a random one if it does not exist. There is also one last thing to mention. If there is only one enemy on the screen, and you use cleave to kill it, it will process the common event and attack the enemy again. This is unfortunately limitations of using common events to achieve the end result.

While not exactly how I wanted to achieve the effect, I felt that it was worth putting this out so that at least people had a way to see the skill in action. I will be revisiting this action sequence as my js skills improve so I can hopefully make it as I had originally wanted to: if the target dies select a random remaining enemy.

The poll closes tomorrow night so please place your votes for the next sequence. Until next time...

Johnboy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey all. Here with another action sequence for you.

Votes are in and the actor sequence has won.

In most RPG's, there are usually magic casting characters. They make use of the MP stat, but most of the time the TP bar is practically useless for these characters. In this action sequence we are going to make a skill in which the user converts their TP into MP for an ally!

Mana Well

I have seen this type of ability used in a similar capacity in Final Fantasy XI. In that game a Paladin could use an ability called "Chivalry" which would convert it's TP into MP for itself. The higher the TP, the more MP was recovered. Essentially we are recreating the same skill but you can target any actor in your group.

YEP Battle Engine Core
YEP Skill Core

Create the skill as shown below. Note that you MUST keep the damage formula pretty much the same in order for the sequence to work correctly. 20170520095006_1.jpg
As for the formula, let's go over it quickly.

v[2] * ( ( a.level / 5 ) + 1 )

v[2] -> this is the variable we will assign our TP value to (you must change this to an unused variable in your game)
( ( a.level / 5 ) + 1 ) -> this tells it to divide the user's level by 5 and then add 1. This is then multiplied by the value of V[2].

So 100TP @ level 1 would be 100 * ((0.2) +1) = 100 * 1.2 = 120

You can change this formula if you like, however it can become extremely overpowered very quickly. I found this as a good balance as the ability will scale with level but will not become a second full MP bar at higher levels.

Place the following in the notebox:
<Cost Display Eval>
var variableId = 2;
var value = a.tp;
$gameVariables.setValue(variableId, value);
</Cost Display Eval>

<Custom Cost Display>
\c[4]\v[2]\c[0] TP
</Custom Cost Display>

<Pre-Damage Eval>
a.gainTp(-v[2]);
</Pre-Damage Eval>

//Action Sequence//
<setup action>
clear battle log
display action
perform start
wait for movement
wait for animation
</setup action>

<whole action>
</whole action>

<target action>
motion chant: user
animation 119: user
wait for animation
wait for effect
wait for animation
</target action>

<finish action>
perform finish
clear battle log
</finish action>

Now, we've set up the skill to show the cost as the current amount of TP in the skill menu, and the TP is removed when the skill is used. This action sequence will also display an orb animation to represent the tp being converted to mana on the user, and then a light pillar animation on the target to show they received the mana. Please note you must change the variables in the action sequence to the same variable as your damage formula.

I think the next sequence we will showcase an enemy sequence. Perhaps maybe the moving Tonberry sequences for the Final Fantasy Series.
Until next time...

Last edited:

Johnboy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey all. I know I promised the Tonberry action sequence from Final Fantasy for the next one but it's not quite done yet, and I wanted to try to maintain my two action sequences a week goal I set for myself. With that being said, here we go.

Banish

This spell is seen in a number of games, although the name is different between games. This spell draws enemies to an open portal animation, and then it has a chance to "banish" the creature to another plane of existence, effectively killing it. As there is no native portal animation, we will create one using the animation editor in MV.

YEP Battle Engine Core

First, let's create the animation. This is fairly straight forward. Copy the entirety of animation 105 (Darkness All 3) and paste it in a blank spot in the animation tab. next, in our new copy of that animation, we will rename it to "Banish". Under the "Frames" header beside the monster picture, highlight frames 1 through 26, and DELETE them. This should change the maximum frames box to 36. In the "Flash and Timing" section, highlight the first items. Delete these as well. Then, you will edit the frame numbers for the remaining items. When you are finished, it should look like this:
20170525171518_1.jpg

Now we will create the skill. It will be set up as shown here:
20170525172112_1.jpg

Paste the following in the notebox:
<setup action>
clear battle log
display action
perform start
wait for movement
</setup action>

<whole action>
</whole action>

<target action>
move enemies: point, 640, 360, 20
wait for movement
wait for effect
tint screen: normal
death break
</target action>

<finish action>
wait for animation
move enemies: home, 20
wait for movement
perform finish
clear battle log
</finish action>

Please note that my game resolution is 1280x720, and as such if you are using a different resolution some tweaking of the "Point" argument will be necessary. Now when the user casts the Banish spell, the enemies are drawn into the vortex animation we created, any enemies which have the Knockout state applied will be killed while inside this vortex, and the rest are returned to where they began the battle after the animation is complete.

I have a modification in mind for this particular sequence which I will be testing, as this spell also exists in my own game I am creating. In the modified version, only the targets which are affected by the knockout state will actually be drawn in to the vortex, the rest will shake but not be drawn in. I will add the modified sequence to this post as well once I get it finished.

Hopefully I can have the Tonberry sequence finished for this weekend. Until next time...

Johnboy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey all.

So after playing around with the Tonberry action sequence a bit, I realized that it's not going to be as easy as it seems at first glance. In using YEP Action Sequences, while you can move the monsters on every turn, they will always revert back to their original position on turn end. This leads to the monster only sliding back and forth. But we can create it using an original Tonberry and a copy. However, it is very clunky to do so and requires to use of multiple variables to be stored and used basically every turn until the Tonberry reaches the closest point.

Realistically, it is very complex to set up and I still plan on releasing a version of the sequence once I have it set up correctly but that means that it will take more time to complete it. I will still try to post some other sequences while I attempt to finish the Tonberry sequence.

Apologies to those who were looking forward to the sequence on the weekend. I will post again soon.

Johnboy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Paralyze

Sometimes the included predefined states in the MV Editor simply don't accomplish what we are looking for. What if we wanted to have a Paralyze state that had a chance to still allow actions to go through? But if the Paralyze check fails, you could have a different Action Sequence play? Now you can!
*Special thanks to Yanfly for this one, as I could never have figured it out without their Pokemon Paralyze Tips and Tricks*

YEP Battle Engine Core
YEP Buffs and States Core

We will be be creating a state and a skill today. Lets start with the skill.
20170604103824_1.jpg

We will set this skill up just like this. You can name this sequence whatever you like. I chose "Paralyze blank sequence" since I'm forgetful and would delete it if it didn't have a name.
Place this in the notebox:
<setup action>
clear battle log
perform start
wait for movement
wait for animation
</setup action>

<whole action>
</whole action>

<target action>
motion skill: user
wait: 20
motion dead: user
wait: 20
wait for movement
</target action>

<follow action>
reset zoom
move user: home, 45
</follow action>

<finish action>
perform finish
clear battle log
</finish action>
This will cause the actor to look like they are about to use the action selected, but fall down in the "Dead" motion as if they fell while attempting it.

Next we create a state:
20170604104534_1.jpg

Build this state as shown above. You can adjust the turn duration to fill your game's need. I chose the "Dead" SV motion because it causes the actor to kneel instead of just having the paralyze overlay.
// Disables instant skills from paralyze as to not abuse the mechanic.
<Cancel Instant Skill: 1 to 2000>
<Cancel Instant Item: 1 to 2000>

<Custom Action Start Effect>
// Set the paralyze success rate.
var paralyzeRate = 0.90;
// Make a random number check to see if paralyze passes...
if (Math.random() < paralyzeRate) {
// If it does, start the action on the target.
user.forceAction(27);
}
</Custom Action Start Effect>

You can adjust the paralyzeRate amount to fit your game. Note that you would need a number from 0.01 to 1.00 as it is represented in percentage. The higher the number, the lower the chance the action succeeds.
In the final line: user.forceAction(27); you must change the number to your Paralyze Sequence.

Since I got some motivation back by putting one of my games into BETA phase this week, I'll just drop this here:

Lightning II: Chrono Trigger

In Chrono Trigger, there are two characters that can use Lightning II. The action is the same no matter who uses it. The user jumps to the center of the screen, then the Lightning animation plays and then the user jumps to it's home position as the damage is processed. It hits all enemies.

Set this up as you would any other magical attack. 20170604111453_1.jpg

<setup action>
clear battle log
display action
perform start
wait for movement
wait for animation
</setup action>

<whole action>
jump user: 200%, 35
move user: point, 640, 360, 35
wait: 75
animation 78: targets
wait for animation
</whole action>

<target action>
action effect: targets
wait for effect
</target action>

<follow action>
jump user: 200%, 35
move user: home, 35
wait: 30
</follow action>

<finish action>
perform finish
clear battle log
</finish action>

Note that I use 1280X720 resolution and if you use any other resolution you will need to adjust the POINT coordinates accordingly. Simply take your X and Y values, and divide them by 2 and that will place your actor directly in the center of the screen.

Until next time...

Johnboy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Secondary Blizzard

This was created by accident but could be an interesting effect nonetheless. Whenever the wielder of the Blizzard Blade performs an action, there is a 25% chance that blizzard will also activate. Blizzard can also activate another blizzard! We'll need to create a weapon and state (and a skill if you don't already have a magical skill for Blizzard).

YEP Battle Engine Core
YEP Action Sequences 1,2,3

20170609150134_1.jpg

Create a weapon like this. You can make any changes in the parameters to fit your game. In the notebox, you will place <Passive State: X> where X is your Blizzard Blade state, which we will create now.

20170609150354_1.jpg

The state can be mostly left to default. Place the following in the notebox:
<Custom Action End Effect>
// Set the Blizzard success rate.
var blizzardRate = 0.25;
// Make a random number check to see if blizzard activates...
if (Math.random() < blizzardRate) {
// If it does, start the action on the target.
user.forceAction(30, 1);
}
</Custom Action End Effect>

This will make the character perform it's attack, then, after the attack is processed, it will check to see if the blizzard cast passes. If it does, blizzard is cast on the target as well. Note I have two numbers in the forceAction statement, the first is the forced action ID, and the second is the enemy ID. You could omit the enemy ID and it will target a random alive enemy instead of the target. Don't forget to change at least the action ID in the forceAction statement.

Until next time...

EDIT: In my haste to push out an action sequence, I forgot to actually TEST my sword lol. With this setup I should note that ANY action you do with the Sword equipped will give you a 25% chance of blizzard activating. While cool in itself, not really what the sword is supposed to do, and so I've changed the title to reflect something more appropriate.

Last edited:

Lionheart_84

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
Wow, Johnboy you're great! But to me the skill "Inhale" does not work !!!
The enemy after ingesting the actor, does not repay it ... continue to use Inhale...!!!
Does not use "Exhale"!!!

However ... you are able to create the skills and action sequence of Dragon Quest 8:

GigaSlash and Dragon Soul ???

clitvin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I have a few requests for enemy skills if possible please make:
1. A burrow skill, (enemy goes into the ground and cannot be attacked till he returns)
2. Duplicate/Mirror Image (enemy splits into 2 or more enemies only 1 is real, the duplicates disappear if hit)
3. Lay egg (enemy lays an egg which hatches into another enemy after some time if not destroyed)

Johnboy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Lionheart_84 make sure in your exhale state you have "Turn End" checked and make sure that the forced action ID is the same as your Exhale skill.

@clitvin 1 and 3 should be easy to do. As for #2 that one might require some interesting code. Did you just want the extras to disappear on hit or did you want them something like the Son of Sun boss from Chrono Trigger? In that fight there are several duplicates and attacking the wrong one triggers a counterattack, but attacking the correct one deals damage and rearranges them. Either way, this is somewhat complicated, as since we can't really reposition our enemy home point, we would have to create a duplicate enemy and assign hp and mp values to variables. From there, we need to then assign those variables to a duplicate and change the original.

That being said, I do love a challenge and it is somewhat similar to the issue I'm having with my Tonberry action sequence, so I can't promise it will be soon but I will give it a shot.

clitvin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I hadn't thought about rearranging them when you hit the correct one, but that does make sense I suppose. If you could do that, it would be a nice bonus.

Lionheart_84

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
@Lionheart_84 make sure in your exhale state you have "Turn End" checked and make sure that the forced action ID is the same as your Exhale skill.

Thank you so much! Now it works great! :biggrin: It was a problem with the shifts of an ATB I use that in practice does not calibrate well the turns !!! :confused:
The important thing is that it works now !!! :stickytongue:
Only one thing ... what damage does it have to have this ability ??? A suggestion ??? :biggrin:

Then, for the skills I asked you about Dragon Quest 8 ???:wink:

Johnboy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Lionheart_84 do you mean what type of damage or damage formula? I've also added your requests to my list. You should be able to get one shortly.

TrailBlazer2016

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I managed to accomplish my goals so I thought I would share with you another sequence. Since the votes were for another actor sequence, I have chosen something from FFXI. This is a very complex sequence and requires a lot of setup to work properly. You will also need some outside tools (a photo editor capable of horizontal mirroring) as well as plugins from another author. Here we go.

Odin (Zantesuken): Final Fantasy XI

In Final Fantasy XI, Odin was a summon for summoners added into the game several years after the game launched. When summoned, it would use it's signature move, Zantesuken, which had a chance to instantly kill any enemies in the move's radius. However, if the monster was a "Boss", the move would instead do damage. Because simply resummoning Odin to endlessly cleave monsters would be a gamebreaking feature for an MMORPG, it was placed on a cooldown of two hours. Since we are building a single player RPG however, we can use this as another way for players to grind EXP without longer, drawn out battles. For this sequence we will have Odin summoned on the first turn, then have him select his attack on the next turn and desummon after his attack.

YEP Battle Engine Core
YEP Action Sequences 1,2,3
YEP Damage Core
YEPX State Categories

We have need of another author's plugins. Plugins courtesy of SumRndmDde, who's site can be found here:
SRD Summon Core
SRD Replace Summons
SRD Summon Battler Images

First, select an image to use as your Odin summon, I chose the Darklord enemy in SV_actors folder. Open your image editing program, then flip or mirror the image horizontally so it is facing the opposite direction (which should face it left, as we will be using it in place of actors). Save the image as Darklord.png (on your desktop so it's easy to find).
From here, we need to create some new folders in your game folder, like this: \Action sequence demo\img\SumRndmDde\summon (the bold/italic part is your new folders). Copy the Darklord image on your desktop into the 'summon' folder. That is all we need for the photo editor.

Next, we will create our Zantesuken skill, as shown here:View attachment 63707

The following goes in the notebox:
<Damage Formula>
// Check if the target is a boss
if (b.isStateCategoryAffected('Boss')) {
// Damage formula used if the target is a boss.
value = b.hp * 0.10;
} else {
// Damage formula used if the target isn't a boss.
value = b.mhp;
}
</Damage Formula>

<setup action>
clear battle log
display action
perform start
wait for movement
wait for animation
</setup action>

<whole action>
opacity not focus: 0
move user: targets, front center, 30
wait for movement
move user: targets, back center, 30
opacity user: 0, 30
motion attack: user
animation 25: targets
wait for movement
wait for animation
</whole action>

<target action>
action effect: targets
wait for effect
</target action>

<follow action>
opacity user: 255
opacity not focus: 255
move user: home, 45
wait for movement
</follow action>

<finish action>
perform finish
clear battle log
</finish action>

I chose animation 25 as it suits the purpose of this sequence.

Now we need to create a class for the summon. Name the class "Summon". Have the class learn the Zantesuken skill at level 1. In the notebox place this:
<Replace Attack: 15>
where the number is the ID of your Zantesuken skill.

To be able to summon Odin in the battle, we need to create an actor as it's placeholder. Create an actor with the name "Odin". Assign this actor the summon class we just created. Choose a level for your summon, as Odin's stats are affected by it as they would be a normal actor. In the notebox, place this:
<Summon Battler Image: Darklord>
where "Darklord" is the filename of the image we mirrored earlier.

Finally, we will create the actual summon spell. View attachment 63709

In the notebox of this skill, place the following:
<Summon>
Actor ID: 5
Turns: 2
<End Summon>

<Summon Replace Party>

<setup action>
clear battle log
display action
perform start
wait for movement
wait for animation
</setup action>

<whole action>
animation 35: targets
wait for animation
</whole action>

<target action>
action effect
</target action>

<finish action>
perform finish
clear battle log
</finish action>

That should cover everything you need for this action sequence. There is a ton of setup to be able to execute this properly, but the end result is well worth it. I will admit that using the prepackaged resources available for this sequence is not optimal. However, I wanted to show how much the engine is capable of with some creative thinking and some plugin stacking. Please note that if you are using YEP HP bars plugin, the summoned actor's HP bar may not disappear when the summon is removed.
filedetails
I've followed the steps to test this out. Got all the necessary plugins and everything. However, after the setup, when I have a character cast the summon, they step forward, do the chant, the fog comes up and then the character returns to their starting position.

I know I'm missing something, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Johnboy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@TrailBlazer2016 you have SRD Replace Summons plugin installed and turned on? Sounds like that is missing. It could also be a plugin conflict, so far with these they are only tested with YANFLY and SRD plugins, as they are for the most part compatible. Also double check that in your skill you have created for your summon, you have <Summon Replace Party> in the notebox.

Last edited:

TrailBlazer2016

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've got the SRD plugins installed and turned on and double-checked to make sure the note tag is in there. Also, in my SumRndmDde folder, I have the 'summon' folder and the flipped image in there. So, I don't think it's a problem with the battler image. :/

Update: After saving and refreshing my project, I got it working. Only now, my user still stays on the field.

Last edited:

Johnboy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@TrailBlazer2016 are you using a larger screen size? The replace summon plugin doesn't actually remove them it just moves them offscreen. The plugin was designed for the standard resolution so if you are using a larger screen, then the party will just move back.

TrailBlazer2016

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That might do it. I'm using 1280 x 720 as my resolution.

Johnboy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Request courtesy of @clitvin

Hatch:

In this sequence we will have an enemy place an egg on the battlefield on a certain turn. Once the egg is placed, we will have a certain number of turns to defeat the egg or another monster will appear. We will need a few things for this sequence, an egg graphic, an animation and a state. We will also be making a troop event page with a specific setup.

A fantastic artist who does have some egg graphics is aekashics, and their website can be found here.

YEP Battle Engine Core

First, we will need to create our egg enemy. I recommend that you remove the attack entry from action patterns, since technically an egg should not be attacking until it hatches. I've built mine like this:
20170619092056_1.jpg

Modify the egg enemy however you see fit.

Now we create our hatch animation. For this, I chose to use the "Flash" animation, but instead of affecting the whole screen, I changed it to "Center" so it would only show on the egg.
20170619092725_1.jpg

Next up is the state. This is mostly default. Name it "Hatch" as this state doesn't do anything until it is removed.
20170619093250_1.jpg
Make sure you change the turn duration to suit your game. I set it at 1 simply for testing purposes. Note that it also needs to be on Turn End.

Place the following in the state notebox:
<Custom Remove Effect>
// Check if the user is an enemy.
if (user.isEnemy()) {
// Archive the previous enemy ID.
user._prevEnemyId = user._enemyId;
// Set the target enemy ID you want the enemy to change into.
var transformEnemyId = 1;
// Start the hatch animation.
user.startAnimation(40,false,1);
// Transform the user.
user.transform(transformEnemyId);
}
</Custom Remove Effect>

As per a request, here is a state modification that recovers the hatched enemy completely upon hatching:

<Custom Remove Effect>
// Check if the user is an enemy.
if (user.isEnemy()) {
// Archive the previous enemy ID.
user._prevEnemyId = user._enemyId;
// Set the target enemy ID you want the enemy to change into.
var transformEnemyId = 1;
user.startAnimation(40,false,1);
// Transform the user.
user.transform(transformEnemyId);
//Reset the hatched enemy.
user.recoverAll();
}
</Custom Remove Effect>

In this code, you will need to change the line "var transformEnemyId = 1" where 1 is the enemy ID you want the egg to hatch in to.
You will also need to change "user.startAnimation(40,false,1); The first number is the animation ID for your hatch animation. You should leave the rest as is.

Lastly, we need to set up our troop event to actually process all of this information.
20170619094310_1.jpg

Right click on your egg graphic and set it to appear halfway. This will make it so the egg only appears when called.
Under the Conditions dropdown tab, select the turn on which you would like the egg to appear. Again I set it to 1 for testing purposes. You can also show a text box here if you wish. Then set the egg to appear and set the egg to receive the Hatch state immediately. You MUST set the state on the egg here, otherwise the egg will never hatch, and by placing it here, you ensure the state is applied as soon as the egg appears.

Now, when you playtest, the battle will start with your selected monster, then on turn 1, the monster lays an egg. Then the player has until the END of turn 2 to kill the egg, otherwise it will hatch into another monster instead (in this case a bat).

This effect can be used in some interesting ways. You could have a bird type monster that simply shows up at battle start to drop several eggs, and leaves. Or you could simply have a battle with an egg that could hatch. You could even create multiple colors of eggs which hatch different types of monsters!

Until next time...

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Steam page is now live!
1632768058957.png
just discovered thig game called Willowbrooke Post... beautiful artstyle if I do say so myself... does anyone know what this kind of style is called??
In one of my game projects, I am working on an arena where you can fight combatants or bet on monsters, and, man, it is taking so long, lmao. I do not think that it helps that I am using an evented combat system with a lot of things that I have to edit.
Time to take a little break from the project to work on another for Skyrim. Shouldn't take too long, as it's just fulfilling an easy to do request(more than likely I'll get beaten to the punch but...) this also gives me an excuse to play Skyrim again LOL.
Dawg.gifKhat.gif
I made two new friends today. I'm not sure which style I like the best..?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superboy171