YEP Message Core Issues

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by Drunken Paladin, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Drunken Paladin

Drunken Paladin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi,

I've been using the Yanfly Message Core plugin for a year or so now, but I've periodically noticed issues where entire lines or paragraphs of text will simply not appear in the game while word-wrap is enabled. It never happens while word-wrap is off.

I'm on RMMV version 1.5.2 and using version 1.19 of the plugin. I have my plugins loaded in the order they are shown on Yanfly's site.

I don't really have any way to reliably reproduce this, since I can't figure out what the conditions are for it happening, but once it affects a certain line of text, it does so permanently. As far as I can tell, it happens most often after a new page break. It doesn't seem like Yanfly addresses bug reports or even accepts them anymore from non-patrons, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful. I'd switch to a different plugin, but I'm deep into a project with hundreds of YEP-specific message plugin commands.

2. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Do you have any example dialogue where this happens 100%? I actually am facing the same problem the last few days.

EDIT:

It seems my issue is a bit different and more on chunks of text disappearing when I use instant display. I'll have to test more.

3. Drunken Paladin

First Language:
    English
    It tends to happen in longer-form chunks, when I increase the line count. I can't seem to narrow it down because I feel like there are exceptions to every example, but for instance, when it wraps from a previous page, sometimes it will finish the line and then cut off everything after the next line break.

Then it'll pick up on the next page a few line breaks later.

4. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    The reason I asked is because if unless we can replicate it, it's hard to fix.

Drunken Paladin likes this.
  5. Drunken Paladin

First Language:
    English
    Well, it happens at some random point pretty much every time I try to write in a longer form with word wrap. Here's an example of what I mean.

Aside from the first example, they're all just copy/pasted. The second screenshot is what it becomes in-game, in 3 consecutive screens. As you can see, it omits 2 lines from example 6 and ends after example 8. Example 9 is just MIA completely.

SS1.png SS2.png

6. Drunken Paladin

First Language:
    English
    I've been messing around some more in the last couple of days, trying to figure things out, since I'm kinda stuck without it.

Another weird thing I'm encountering, when it doesn't feel like making text Houdini-vanish entirely, is that it will create completely random page-breaks. So if you input <br> to add a line break, there's a chance it will cut off the rest of the page and carry it over to the top of the next page. This occurs regardless of the text positioning and regardless of how many lines you set to appear at once, as long as word-wrap is on.

It feels like if one issue doesn't happen, the other does. As tacky as random page-breaks is, at least all the text is there.

EDIT: Also worth nothing, I tried on a fresh project with only the one plugin installed and it still appears to be broken.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  7. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Oh boy, I know I'm late to the party but I'm necroposting this because it's very important to know. I encountered this issue again yesterday and then that's when I remembered this bug. For the issue, it's because the space triggers the word wrap check, so...

This will not work:
    Code:
    \>Test Bunny:\<<br>

This has bug
    But this will work!

Code:
    \>Test Bunny: \<<br>

No bug
    I hope this still helps someone haha.

caethyril and bazrat like this.