Status
Not open for further replies.

nihnoz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
In Buff and States Core, is there a way to reference the parameters of the actor who inflicted a status effect in the Lunatic Mode evals?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yanfly

Veteran
Reaction score
Hey Yanfly! Noob questions here:

1.) Learn Skill Plugin - In increasing parameters using this plugin, is there a way to set a maximum amount of times to increase each parameter? Like for example, each parameter may only increase up to 99 (which means each "skill" should be learned 98 times)... And even though, for example, an actor's atk has reached 99 through skill learn, he can still increase his atk via weapons, armors, items, etc (more like the Ragnarok Online mechanic).

2.) Skill Cost Plugin - I really don't know if this has been answered. How can I require my characters using bows and guns to consume arrows and bullets when doing a normal attack?

~with much thanks and appreciation. :)
1. You'd have to use Lunatic Mode for that. Though, the means of doing so are a bit more difficult if you don't have much JavaScript Experience.

2. Yes you can. Though, I'd suggest you wait for tomorrow's plugin since that will make it easier. :) You'll see why.

I'm having and odd bug using instant cast.

<Instant Eval>if (user.isStateAffected(74)) instant = false;else if (user.mmp >= 600) instant = true;</Instant Eval><finish action>add state 74: user</finish action>I have that on my skill notetag (state 74 is just a blank state that lasts one turn to prevent instant cast chains). If this code is in a skill notetag the targets can drop to 0 hp and do not die. They also cannot select any action besides use item. Adding collapse: targets in the finish action does not cause the targets to die, collapse: targets,force does but that happens regardless of anything else since it is forcing death.
Ah, your Finish Action basically removed all of the finish action sequences, which involves setting the immortal status of the target to off. Instead of having it as a Finish Action, make it a Follow Action instead.

Buff & States core, yesssssssss! Thank you Yanfly! I've been waiting for this since day 1 of MV release, you f-ing rule! <3

EDIT: Possible bug, or I'm doing something wrong :p

I have this tagged in one my skills, and it doesn't seem to be doing anything:

Huh, that's weird. It seems to be working for me:

What kind of states are they?

In Buff and States Core, is there a way to reference the parameters of the actor who inflicted a status effect in the Lunatic Mode evals?

Yes, in fact, that's actually one of the features I'll touch base on in a future Lunatic Mode demonstration~ But if you want to look for it:

do a search for "stateOrigin" :D

Fernyfer775

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Weird...they're just typical damage over time/debuff states:

State 19: Burn - damage over time, lasts 4-5 turns by default

State 4: Poison - damage over time, lasts 4-5 turns by default

State 11: Armor Break - reduces enemy defenses by 15%, lasts 4-5 turns by default.

State 26: Dampen Magic - reduces enemy magic attack by 15%, lasts 4-5 turns by default.

I updated all of your plugins and tested, and still nada. Must be some other plug-in, but yours is the only one I use that deals 

with states or damage effects. Oh well! >_>

EDIT: Uhhhh...I'm a derp and never added the action sequence tag of "action effect: target". Once i fixed that, it started working. Thank you lol >_> *Goes hides in corner*

lohenien

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Changing to a follow action works good yanfly. I didn't use the immortal tag at all so I didn't think i'd need to change it to off if I never manually turned it on. That notetag is WYSIWYG, there's nothing else in the notetag.

Vegnarus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Before I get into something more complicated, I’d like to point out a small bug that’s related to one I found a while ago. When an Actor is in crisis and the battle ends, it draws the name of the actor in the crisis color. The level was fixed but I noticed the Actor name issue yesterday.

---

I’ll use a spoiler tag for the rest because it’s rather lengthy. I was going to get to the point in fewer lines but sometimes a more in-depth explanation is needed.

So, I decided to write up something simple but comprehensive to get some issues across more clearly so here it is and hopefully this will suffice. Note however that this is a technical analysis used to illustrate a point and help the coder understand what needs to be done in order to modify the plugins and get them to work as they should, both mechanically and visually. So here we go:

• Turn Start
  • Action Start
  • Action End
  • Turn End
These are the steps of battle and the order in which they happen. Guard and States/Buffs are updated or removed typically after Turn End or Action End in the DTB.

In CTB, the steps [Turn Start, Action Start, Action End and Turn End] are not handled in the same manner by design and this causes states and buffs to miss a specific timing (Turn Start) since they are not told when to correctly update and refresh if the battle system happens to be set to CTB and not DTB.

DTB handles actions and turns using batches of actions encased in Global Turns. (I’ll call them Rounds here to differentiate them from personal turns in other battle systems):

- Round 1 -

~ Select Skills for All Actors before proceeding

[Turn Start]

Action Start [Enemy A]

Action End [Enemy A]

Action Start [Actor 1]

Action End [Actor 1]

[Turn End]

~ Update Turn End States and (De)Buffs

- Round 2 -

[Turn Start]

[...]

[Turn End]

In CTB though, it’s different. In CTB, we don’t have rounds; it’s a constant flow of Individual Turns. So technically, the next “turn” should be the next time the actor’s turn comes up in the queue and he/she/it gets to move. (De)Buffs and certain states (Guard being one of them) should be updated or removed as soon as a personal turn comes up and before the players can select skills or, before the enemies decide what action to perform. The timing is correct for Cooldowns but States and Buffs aren’t updated in the same way.

In CTB the flow of individual turns goes like this:

- Enemy A -

~ Decide Action (based on the AI set from the plugin or the skill ratings in the database)

[Turn Start]

Action Start

Action End

[Turn End]

- Actor 1 -

~ Select Action

[Turn Start]

Action Start

Action End

[Turn End]

If you think about how CTB would update states with Turn Start, Action Start, Action End and Turn End removal timing, then you’ll see that in all cases, the update and removal can never happen before being able to choose skills. This is because all of the timing options happen after ~ Select Action and only after you commit to a skill through the menu.

This also means that Turn Start and Action Start are identical as their timing is practically back-to-back. Same with Action End and Turn End but those are not problematic in any way.

Turn Start should mean as soon as the turn comes up for CTB, not after we commit to a skill and start executing because that’s what the Action Start timing is for. 

So the right execution or timing in CTB when a turn comes up for actors or enemies should be something like this:

- Actor 1 -

[Turn Start]

~ Update States with the <Turn Start: x> tag and reduce the count of any (De)Buffs by 1

~ Select Action

Action Start

Action End

[Turn End]

- Enemy A -

[Turn Start]

~ Update States with the <Turn Start: x> tag and reduce the count of any (De)Buffs by 1

~ Decide Action

Action Start

Action End

[Turn End]

Buffs also have a few low profile bugs which stem from Agility which determines ticks and turns. That could explain why both the Tick and Turn-based options in Battle Engine Core seem to yield these bugs. Buffs often get reduced randomly on an enemy’s turn or they go down 2+ turns after your actor’s turn. I don’t know how Battle Engine Core and the CTB add-on work exactly but here’s a few suggestions which should give you an idea on what you can do and they may also fix these issues:

• You can place a check in the right spot in the code to see if CTB is the current battle system and then another one to check if the actor or enemy’s states have the <Turn Start: x> note tag. If the system is set to CTB and the states have the tags, update them before the players can select skills. At least this way, <Turn Start: x> can be utilized well for CTB. Plus if you can make it update in this way you will also avoid the awkwardness of having actors still guarding while you’re selecting a new skill. 
  • The behavior of Buffs and Debuffs can’t be modified like states which have removal timing and note tags but they should also be updated like the <Turn Start: x> states for CTB and before command selection comes up. You could even make a parameter and have the user decide whether to update them on Turn Start or Turn End. Seeing how you also just released the Buff & State Manager you can add that parameter in there or wherever if you decide to include this option. If you don't want this option yet and you choose to update buffs alongside <Turn Start: x> states, you will have to find the spot which updates buffs on Turn End and place a CTB check there too to avoid reducing the count 1 more time at the end of the turn.

And that’s it for the state and buff issues so far. I hope this post was clear enough and that the general idea is at the very least understood. 

Well that took a while to write. Anyway, I don't know the technicalities of implementing these but I'll leave it up to you to find a way to tackle them and polish CTB. 

Yanfly

Veteran
Reaction score
Before I get into something more complicated, I’d like to point out a small bug that’s related to one I found a while ago. When an Actor is in crisis and the battle ends, it draws the name of the actor in the crisis color. The level was fixed but I noticed the Actor name issue yesterday.

---

I’ll use a spoiler tag for the rest because it’s rather lengthy. I was going to get to the point in fewer lines but sometimes a more in-depth explanation is needed.

So, I decided to write up something simple but comprehensive to get some issues across more clearly so here it is and hopefully this will suffice. Note however that this is a technical analysis used to illustrate a point and help the coder understand what needs to be done in order to modify the plugins and get them to work as they should, both mechanically and visually. So here we go:

• Turn Start
  • Action Start
  • Action End
  • Turn End
These are the steps of battle and the order in which they happen. Guard and States/Buffs are updated or removed typically after Turn End or Action End in the DTB.

In CTB, the steps [Turn Start, Action Start, Action End and Turn End] are not handled in the same manner by design and this causes states and buffs to miss a specific timing (Turn Start) since they are not told when to correctly update and refresh if the battle system happens to be set to CTB and not DTB.

DTB handles actions and turns using batches of actions encased in Global Turns. (I’ll call them Rounds here to differentiate them from personal turns in other battle systems):

- Round 1 -

[Turn Start]

Action Start [Enemy A]

Action End [Enemy A]

Action Start [Actor 1]

Action End [Actor 1]

[Turn End]

- Round 2 -

[Turn Start]

[...]

[Turn End]

In CTB though, it’s different. In CTB, we don’t have rounds; it’s a constant flow of Individual Turns. So technically, the next “turn” should be the next time the actor’s turn comes up in the queue and he/she/it gets to move. (De)Buffs and certain states (Guard being one of them) should be updated or removed as soon as a personal turn comes up and before the players can select skills or, before the enemies decide what action to perform. The timing is correct for Cooldowns but States and Buffs aren’t updated in the same way.

In CTB the flow of individual turns goes like this:

- Enemy A -

~ Decide Action (based on the AI set from the plugin or the skill ratings in the database)

[Turn Start]

Action Start

Action End

[Turn End]

- Actor 1 -

~ Select Action

[Turn Start]

Action Start

Action End

[Turn End]

If you think about how CTB would update states with Turn Start, Action Start, Action End and Turn End removal timing, then you’ll see that in all cases, the update and removal can never happen before being able to choose skills. This is because all of the timing options happen after ~ Select Action and only after you commit to a skill through the menu.

This also means that Turn Start and Action Start are identical as their timing is practically back-to-back. Same with Action End and Turn End but those are not problematic in any way.

Turn Start should mean as soon as the turn comes up for CTB, not after we commit to a skill and start executing because that’s what the Action Start timing is for. 

So the right execution or timing in CTB when a turn comes up for actors or enemies should be something like this:

- Actor 1 -

[Turn Start]

~ Update States with the <Turn Start: x> tag and reduce the count of any (De)Buffs by 1

~ Select Action

Action Start

Action End

[Turn End]

- Enemy A -

[Turn Start]

~ Update States with the <Turn Start: x> tag and reduce the count of any (De)Buffs by 1

~ Decide Action

Action Start

Action End

[Turn End]

Buffs also have a few low profile bugs which stem from Agility which determines ticks and turns. That could explain why both the Tick and Turn-based options in Battle Engine Core seem to yield these bugs. Buffs often get reduced randomly on an enemy’s turn or they go down 2+ turns after your actor’s turn. I don’t know how Battle Engine Core and the CTB add-on work exactly but here’s a few suggestions which should give you an idea on what you can do and they may also fix these issues:

• You can place a check in the right spot in the code to see if CTB is the current battle system and then another one to check if the actor or enemy’s states have the <Turn Start: x> note tag. If the system is set to CTB and the states have the tags, update them before the players can select skills. At least this way, <Turn Start: x> can be utilized well for CTB. Plus if you can make it update in this way you will also avoid the awkwardness of having actors still guarding while you’re selecting a new skill. 
  • The behavior of Buffs and Debuffs can’t be modified like states which have removal timing and note tags but they should also be updated like the <Turn Start: x> states for CTB and before command selection comes up. You could even make a parameter and have the user decide whether to update them on Turn Start or Turn End. Seeing how you also just released the Buff & State Manager you can add that parameter in there or wherever if you decide to include this option. If you don't want this option yet and you choose to update buffs alongside <Turn Start: x> states, you will have to find the spot which updates buffs on Turn End and place a CTB check there too to avoid reducing the count 1 more time at the end of the turn.

And that’s it for the state and buff issues so far. I hope this post was clear enough and that the general idea is at the very least understood. 

Well that took a while to write. Anyway, I don't know the technicalities of implementing these but I'll leave it up to you to find a way to tackle them and polish CTB. 
I don't think you quite understand the reason why there's a difference between Turn Start and Action Start. The main reason is because of this: http://yanfly.moe/2015/10/30/yep-22-instant-cast-2/ Instants don't consume turns. In CTB, they won't consume turn durations either for states but they will for actions, which is why there's a differentiation for them.

As for why a turn "starts" after the action has been selected and not before, it's to follow the very same principle that RPG Maker uses for its own battle system. The same way the default battle system does not initiate a turn start during action selection, CTB will not initiate a turn start during action selection either. This is not just unique to RPG Maker. Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Mana Khemia who utilize CTB also function off this ruleset.

Silenity

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How do I move the JP Cost text further up?

It's in the bottom left hand corner but you can only see the top portion.

McTricky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
So I'm having an issue with the face target1: target2 command in Action Sequences 2.

For whatever reason, I my characters are not facing the directions they're supposed to. It's as if the face command doesn't work entirely. I have an attack that cuts the through enemy ones, and then cuts back the way he came from, but I need him facing toward the party and the end. Instead, he continues to face the right-hand side no matter where I place the face command. I even tried a blank skill with just the face commands and they are not budging. This is my action sequence.

Code:
<setup action>motion swing: userdisplay actioncast animationwait for animationmotion walk: user</setup action><target action>move user: target, front head, 15jump user: 400, 15opacity user: 0%, 15wait for movementopacity user: 100%, 5motion attack: useraction animation: targetaction effectmove user: target, back base, 15wait for movementopacity user: 0%, 20wait for opacitymove user: target, back head, 5wait for movementopacity user: 100%, 10face user: homemotion attack: useraction animation: target, mirroraction effectmove user: target, front base, 15wait for movement</target action>

Silenity

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's weird. I'm not sure how you're getting that error at all.
Ah. I figured out what's messing it up.

In the Parameters section of ClassChangeCore if you leave Class Level Format and Class Level Font Size blank that happens.

Also, Idk if you're aware but after learning a skill the JP doesn't seem to update itself if you are learning a Stat Up skill like in your Tips&Trick video.

After increasing HP with upgrade the JP stays the same in the bottom menu but shows correctly in the top menu.

Marcus Giltan

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
1. You'd have to use Lunatic Mode for that. Though, the means of doing so are a bit more difficult if you don't have much JavaScript Experience.

2. Yes you can. Though, I'd suggest you wait for tomorrow's plugin since that will make it easier. :) You'll see why.
Awesome.  I guess I better start learning JavaScript for no.1 then. Thanks for the reply. :)

LuLight

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Buffs & States Core  

make text smaller when get the state.

Untitled.jpg

Xenthar

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
I have a problem with the atb and ctb battle systems. when making a battle event that activates once per turn, it activates every frame. (i added a message to test, and it pops up continuously.)

Is there a way to make battle events happen only after an character's or enemy's turn. or even both.

Vegnarus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think you quite understand the reason why there's a difference between Turn Start and Action Start. The main reason is because of this: http://yanfly.moe/2015/10/30/yep-22-instant-cast-2/ Instants don't consume turns. In CTB, they won't consume turn durations either for states but they will for actions, which is why there's a differentiation for them.

As for why a turn "starts" after the action has been selected and not before, it's to follow the very same principle that RPG Maker uses for its own battle system. The same way the default battle system does not initiate a turn start during action selection, CTB will not initiate a turn start during action selection either. This is not just unique to RPG Maker. Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Mana Khemia who utilize CTB also function off this ruleset.
So it's mainly there for instant casts? And I figured that you wanted to follow the DTB's ruleset with the turns but it still looks off in CTB so I brought this up to see what you had to say about it. It's just the visual 'lag' that didn't look good to me.

Yanfly

Veteran
Reaction score
So it's mainly there for instant casts? And I figured that you wanted to follow the DTB's ruleset with the turns but it still looks off in CTB so I brought this up to see what you had to say about it. It's just the visual 'lag' that didn't look good to me.
The idea behind Instants was inspired by Super Robot Wars back in the VX era when I made the script for the first time. The principle behind the idea in SRW is that the instants function as a preparation mechanic. The turn isn't considered to be started until an action begins performing or pass the turn.

RyenSaotome

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
German
Hello,

I have a question about the "Charge Turn Battle" and about the "Main Menu Manager" plugin.

Is it possible in the CTB plugin to show where the current actor will end in the turn order, while the player is choosing the skill or normal attack? Or how much the enemys turn order is affected by the current selected skil? So far I only get a "preview" for the outcome with skills that aren't instant and show me where in the turn order the character will activate the skill. But I would like to show the player, how skills or normal attacks differ in the turn order, since some skills and actors are supposed to be slower or faster.

I wanted to add a conversation option with the "Main Menu Manager" plugin, to give the player the ability to interact with each partymember. I placed this.commandPersonal.bind(this) in the main bind, to have the player choose which actor he wants to talk with, and wanted to make a common event for each character with different conversations. But I couldn't figure out, how to make a call of a common event depending on the actor chosen.

Marcus Giltan

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Now I see what you meant about the new plugin.. With this, doing basic attacks requiring ammunition (arrows, bullets) is indeed easier..

Thank you, Yanfly. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I made some sideview closets for MV!
You can find them in my MV resource thread.
People1.png & SF_People1.png added!!!!

Adventurer:
"Why your body looks like a bird?"

Stranger:
"Because I'm harpy"

Adventurer:
"Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof"

*Both dancing to Pharrell Williams song*
Stream will be live shortly with a make-up session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tranphong