JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For a new text based adventure, I developed an art style in which I can relatively easy convert photo's into monochrome pixel art.

Resource Type: Portrait

Maker Format: JPG or PNG

Art Style: Photo

Description: For your photo to be useful, I need it to be a portrait of your full head, your shoulders and torso. Anything below the chest will be cut off. (So pants are not required, but if you refuse to wear them, please crop the picture before you send them in.) :p

Required:
- There must be at least 5 pixels space between you and the picture's border on the left, the right and the upper side of the portrait
- Your picture is sharp and at least 800 pixels high and wide.
- The picture should be made during day time, or in a well lighted room. Pictures that are too dark, can't be converted. (Dark pics have low detail, and already 90% of the detail is lost when I convert the image)
- Make sure you are not covered by anything. Not even partly. If anything stands between you and the camera, please remove it before you take the picture.

Optional:
- I just need the portrait. If you want, you can remove the background in the picture. Maybe for privacy reasons or you think that is easier than cleaning your room first. If you don't want to remove the background, you will don't have to. I won't pay any attention to it, and remove it myself before I start editing. (If there is anything on the picture you wouldn't want you mom to see, then make sure I don't see it either.)

Extra:
- Any portrait is useful, however some of you might like to get in character. Dress up for the occasion, or dress down... That is amazing. Just do not dress up as a pirate or a bunny. It would be fun to have 1 silly character in the game, but I want to create a serious game with gangsters (the maffia type, not the bloods and crypts type of gangsters) and detectives.

Reference Images: This is what I will do with your portrait.
1610568539172.png
(Background image is battleback from RPG maker MV, photo is my sister and my brother in law)

Wat is in it for you: Well, you'll get to name the character, as long as it is a normal, existing name. And you will be named in the credits (either with your own name or the names you use as developer/creator).

As a bonus I will send you the image as it will be used in the game. You are free to use it anyway you see fit, as long as you mention who made it. (This hopefully results in more people wanting their photo to be used in my game)

Last note: Details about your character will be up to me, you have no say in this. Like actors don't have a say in what happens to their characters.

At a very small change (only 1 male and 1 female) it might be that your image would be used as the players characters face. In most cases you'd be an NPC in the story. You might be a good guy, or a bad guy (my choice... but looking like a bad guy will more likely make you a bad guy, while a suit and sunglasses might be my first choice for a special agent). You might be an ally or an enemy (shifts during the game, depending on players actions).

Last edited:

Bendyizzt

The Radionist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, you want a image of us in the real world?

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, you want a image of us in the real world?
Well, yeah. :p I need actual photo's. You'd be hardly recognizable* after I edit them, however I do understand if not everyone likes it. (As in, you can see it is you, but only if the viewer already knows it is you. Strangers won't come up to you in the street recognizing you from the game)

I'll do the edit myself if that is what you are asking.

Bendyizzt

The Radionist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I trust you but...isn't this a...dare I say it...smart way for hackers to get photos of people?

Edit: but sure, I'll send...

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I trust you but...isn't this a...dare I say it...smart way for hackers to get photos of people?

Edit: but sure, I'll send...

Probably... I don't know what else I would do with the photo's though.

But here is my problem: I can go outside and shoot photo's of landscapes, city view, statues, ATM machines, highways, and use them all as backgrounds. But I can not just walk up to people all the time and say: "I'm sorry, mind if I take your picture real quick?"

Here at least I am known. I have fought hard to get where I am, to have achieved on MV what I have achieved so far. I know it isn't much proof, but if I'd be a hacker or a scammer, I wouldn't work here. Specially not using my real account, with my logo and everything. :p

I do understand why it might seem a weird request, I just don't know how else to get NPC's.

Bendyizzt

The Radionist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I feel you...I'll send a photo in a few hours...

Edit: but this is rare of me, I never give others photos of me...just don't use it for anything else unless for needed uses for your game...

Last edited:

Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Interesting idea. But just in case, if you don't get as many replies from people, you can check this website out:
This person does not exist
It gives you an AI generated image every time the page is loaded. Since these aren't real people, you can use these images without asking lol
But I guess it will be hard to find pics that fit your prerequisites like, not being covered by anything, high quality etc. Seems like most of the time the shoulders aren't included ^^; So you would be better off with actual photos.

Last edited:

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I feel you...I'll send a photo in a few hours...

Edit: but this is rare of me, I never give others photos of me...just don't use it for anything else unless for needed uses for your game...
Awesome. I won't use it for anything else. I will make the edit, then delete the original.

I did upload the example picture. The one I had up before was prettier, but I forgot I have switched to a different pattern on a lower scaled canvas.
Images would be less detailed that shownbefore. It would be more like this:
1610568573852.png

Recognizable? Sure, if you know those people. Otherwise you wouldn't recognize them in the street.

Interesting idea. But just in case you don't get many replies from people, you can check this website out:
This person does not exist
It gives you an AI generated image every time the page is loaded. Since these aren't real people, you can use these images without asking lol
But I guess it will be hard to find pics that fit your prerequisites like, not being covered by anything, high quality etc.

Oh yeah, I might look at that. I have tried generators like that before, but in the end you will hit a loop soon where all characters have 3 or 4 poses or all the same nose or shaped head. I'll look at it, though... It is better than nothing, but actual photo's would be better.

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wont send, but I got to say, nice effect though which I'm able to do as well.
It looks a bit similair to alien isolation with the ID-tags that you need to find.

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OMG! That girl in reference image is looking almost exacly like my would-be-wife! O_O, but thinner.
I also won't participate in this event: my cameras has malfunctions whenever I try take my photo.

Sevarihk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMXP
If you can't get enough people to send you pictures, you might consider using https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/ to get some additional face pictures.
This website lets an AI generate a new human face each time you refresh it. So there are no actual people behind it, so no privacy can be invaded.
Just thought this might help you out if not enough people are willing to let you use their own pictures.

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wont send, but I got to say, nice effect though which I'm able to do as well.
It looks a bit similair to alien isolation with the ID-tags that you need to find.
You don't have to, if you don't want to. Just hope you'd be as happy with the results of this game as you are with my card game. :)

OMG! That girl in reference image is looking almost exacly like my would-be-wife! O_O, but thinner.
I also won't participate in this event: my cameras has malfunctions whenever I try take my photo.
That is my sister, and she's married, so watch out! :p

If you can't get enough people to send you pictures, you might consider using https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/ to get some additional face pictures.
This website lets an AI generate a new human face each time you refresh it. So there are no actual people behind it, so no privacy can be invaded.
Just thought this might help you out if not enough people are willing to let you use their own pictures.
Someone already mentioned that one, but thanks! :)

Jeezes...
Sorry, I think you have the wrong person. My name is John. :p
What was that about though?

JohnDoeNews

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am no longer looking for photo's. The lack of responses forced me to look for an alternative.

Bendyizzt

The Radionist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
carp, I forgot too...here's my image if you want it...

Attachments

• IMG_20210115_203426.jpg
    IMG_20210115_203426.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 4

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Been working on some sprites, My favorite out of all of them is this guy, his name is Moss:
anyone else 'round here gonna be doing the retro game jam that's starting in a few days on itch.io?
I also wanted to say that my bro brought back nostalgia and got me a GBA SP for my birthday! Ah, the memories of Pokémon Sapphire and LeafGreen! It came in a gray shell but he ordered a red one so it'd look like the one I had as a kid. It looks brand new!
qhE9zC8.jpg
LsluASM.jpg
It's minus 50 out today, ugh. I'm so freaking cold. =_=;

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MitchMann12