You stole that from X game!

Arithmetician

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
We all lift ideas from games that we've liked.  For instance, the mechanics of my game are highly based on Final Fantasy V and Bravely Default.  I hope to counterbalance this by achieving differentiation from them in story and characters, which is why I'll be revising my plot outline soon - to try to force some more distance from their plots.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yo, part of the story in my game is that everyone hates Kemonomimis passionately, and have fought against them for a long time. Sure as anything I'm going to get people saying "You took that from RWBY!" I don't care. I hadn't even heard of RWBY when I got that idea. I'm sticking with it, otherwise one of my characters would be completely useless. Nothing is entirely original anymore. Everything is slightly based off of something or other. My game has a whole lot of Vocaloid mixed in there. But just subtly, and that's all that matters. As long as you aren't completely taking the major parts of something, in the exact same way, or the entire thing, it doesn't matter if there's a touch of inspiration. It's like looking at a picture to do your art. You have to, as long as it doesn't look the exact same. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Delibird

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Now that I have let this topic set for a bit and let others speak their minds I will throw in my 2 cents.

Originality is dead. Innovation is not. The two are seperate things however not everybody knows that. Ideas are just ideas and the execution of these ideas is what really matters. A card battle game is not an original concept by itself, no idea is an original one. You have to make that card battle idea different from Heartstone/MtG/Yugioh/Pokemom and the hundreds of stale/boring card battle games that pop up from time to time and then fade into dust. Why should I play your card battle game if it is super basic and boring? Or why should I play it if it is exactly like Yugioh but with names changed (both thematically and mechanicaly) if I can go play the obviously pre-established game? Bring something worth playing to the table or don't bother dinning with me.

Dr. Delibird

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Ursa Koda well individual wants are such a subjective thing. The point wasn't for others to bring me what I specifically want, the point was that if you make soop from a can for somebody who normally has homemade soop...well be prepared to have your soop critisised as such.

Dreadshadow

Lv 38 Tech Magician
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Originality is dead. Innovation is not.

Whoa! Nice point. I partly disagree here but I got what you wanted to state. Please allow me to explain myself. Originality will never die. Originality is what makes evolution after all. But hey. At what rate does original innovations, ideas or stuff appear? Well the originality rate is very low, just as evolution rates are. Innovation on the other hand comes stretches an original idea to new limits of perfection. I my opinion, originality is obscured by innovation, because profits seem to be related to the enhancement of an original idea and not the idea itself. Partly right, partly wrong.

Let's take an example from computer industry. An original idea. Graphical User Interface.

Two companies that really gown big because of GUI? Any ideas? Yup, Apple and Microsoft.

So, Macintosh had a GUI. Windows also had a GUI.

Both companies profit from the new features and extra innovations of every new operating system's GUI they made.

That was the innovation and it seemed like the front line when it comes to profits.

"They want this new feature, so they are gonna buy our product". Correct; but hey, the original idea was the goldmine, that many innovations were built upon.

Meanwhile, whenever something succeeds, everyone tries to copy it and even make something similar and cheaper. Thus there will be a time that fatefully originality will be needed in order to compete to a grown market.

So I don't believe that originality is dead, neither speaking from a researcher's perspective or an enterpreneur's. It's just that originality takes time to emerge.

What do you think @Dr. Delibird?

Dr. Delibird

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dreadshadow I personally think that the human race (as a biological organism) has stopped evolving. Sociologicaly on the other hand it will continue until either we are extinct or become something akin to a hive mind. I see originality the same way. The bulk of what is known to be an original idea/thought/concept is dead. Computers weren't original really they where designed just like any other tool, to fullfil a function. To that end anything designed to fullfil a function is just a deviation of a tool, a game entertains us and a hammer drives a nail into the wood. Originality as a concept is dead. I mean when you strip everything down to the base of what they are, nothing is original and everything is a deviation from what has come before it. A keyboard is really jusy a more versatile version of the chisel.

I think striving for originality in such an objective field as art is a lost cause. Unless we are talking about abstract art which still has a finite ammount of originality available to it, just far greater than I think we could ever hope to see the end of. Theoretically, if we had the tools, we could potentially figure out the mathematical total number of musical note combinations to find the maximum ammount of songs that could ever be written. I mean that would be an impossible ammount of songs for us to ever actually write and record (maybe a computer programmed to do so but even then it would take so so very long that it may still be done after the human race is gone).

I don't know really. If anything, words like original and subsequently innovative are so intrinsically entwined with all of our own personal ideological beliefs that I do not think there could ever be a way to define it without being subjective about it and subjectivity is a definitions worse enemy.

Dreadshadow

Lv 38 Tech Magician
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dreadshadow I personally think that the human race (as a biological organism) has stopped evolving.
Funny. I was watching Westworld the other day and that one was one of the things on debate in the series. :)

I am not sure if we have stopped evolving really, surely we do not evolve fast though. Isn't hive-mind a kind of an evolution for us?

It's because human beings are incompetent to all animals. But we got the brains to make innovations to make us superior on competition with other species.

For instance, we are too slow from most of carnivore species. We can not fly. We can not hunt with bare hands.

Meanwhile, no other species can compete or outsmart a bullet shot from a hunting rifle, neither a living animal can go faster than a 4x4 off road truck. No birds can fly higher than aeroplanes, you got my point.

Now you got a point here. If we reached the point that our innovations made evolution useless for our species, we didn't extint evolution, we just frozen it, because of our devices and machines, we don't have to grow sharper teeth, fangs, feathers, fur, or run faster. It's a perspective. That doesn't mean that evolution is not there.

Computers weren't original really they where designed just like any other tool, to fullfil a function. To that end anything designed to fullfil a function is just a deviation of a tool, a game entertains us and a hammer drives a nail into the wood. Originality as a concept is dead. I mean when you strip everything down to the base of what they are, nothing is original and everything is a deviation from what has come before it. A keyboard is really jusy a more versatile version of the chisel.

This goes deep to philosophical conversation I supporse. :)

I don't know really. If anything, words like original and subsequently innovative are so intrinsically entwined with all of our own personal ideological beliefs that I do not think there could ever be a way to define it without being subjective about it and subjectivity is a definitions worse enemy.

Well, you know Homer. No!!! Not the one from Simpsons!! :p   Homer of Ancient Greece. He wrote the Iliad and Odyssey. So, was Homer original on those writings?

Well these are two Epic Poems right? Sets of rhaposdies actually. So here comes the deal. There were poems before Iliad and Odyssey. Since both were poems, Homer was not original either. :) See where this goes? This can end up questioning if the concept of originality really existed.

When we talk about originality, I believe it makes sense on talking of people using already existing means, in different ways, to produce something different, distinguished and unique.

We all think, based on our experiences and beliefs. These are partly things we have seen done from others, for example our parents. Subconsciously we mimic past interactions and seen something working in the past, a specific behaviour for instance, we mimic it in a suitable way in the future to overcome a similar problem. Still the way we mimic, the way we adapt everything to our very own solutions and the power to combine things in different ways, including imagination, is what makes us all think different. Everyone is unique really. And hey, Alber Einstein once told that imagination is more important than knoledge. He knew what he was talking about. :D

I like this conversation!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Ursa Koda we do not allow such discussion here, so I've hidden your post. Please do not discuss this.

Bob7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Ah yes, this discussion.

I'm personally on the 'execution' train myself. I want something that is done very well, and if done correctly, it can feel original in its own right.

You've got to go with what feels right for the game and settting rather than going out of your way to make something 'original' that just doesn't work with the elements.

Pierman Walter

Chunk Monster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
After being accused of ripping of all sorts of things for my game, from Lazy Town to Warhammer 40k, I have learned to take it as a compliment, because, unless you have copied everything verbatim, what they are essentially saying is,"Your game reminds me of some of the best games ever created!" I'd be much more insulted if people compared my game to Big Rigs Over the Road Racing, Sonic 2006, or Yohjo Simulator.

TakaDynasty

Apologetic Lurker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I stole Societte from Granblue Fantasy, and I'm now running off to the horizon with her.

But seriously, I get why people would say things like this, but... Really, why are most of us interested in making games? Because we were inspired by games we've played. If we love a concept we didn't get to see a lot more often in games that came after, of course we're gonna implement those things in our game. I think you had it right when you made your point about originality vs. innovation. Aping a concept line for line, idea for idea, implementation for implementation (is that a phrase?) is one thing. But it's another entirely to take a concept that was really great the first time, and then put your own spin on it or apply it in a new context.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
To be completely original in terms of idea in this age and day is very much impossible. Most ideas, even those that seem original are in itself actually just a combination of other non-original ideas. But for things like characters and such, I think you can still be original or at least try to be close to being original (like don't name your character Cloud or Tidus or Link or Goku etc).

Dreadshadow

Lv 38 Tech Magician
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
 Most ideas, even those that seem original are in itself actually just a combination of other non-original ideas.

Actually yes. But they are original combinations as an idea. :D

Imagine Lego sue Notch for making Minecraft LOL! :D

No seriously, blocks are like virtual lego blocks.

And now Lego itself sells Minecraft Lego, wow!

AsuranFish

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm relatively new to this community/process, and I'm curious as to when "copying" becomes "ripping off", and what's fair game when creating your world, characters, jobs, abilities, spells, etc..

For instance, if I was to use a job system in my game, my first instinct would be "okay, so... Warrior, Monk, White Mage, Black Mage, Thief... Paladin, Dragoon, Bard... ooh, Blue Mage might be fun..."

And from there, "okay, let's give the white mage some spells... Cure... Regen... Protect... Shell... Raise... - wait, am I crossing a line?"

"And how about black mage? I think Fire, Thunder, Blizzard are fine. Aero though? Flare? Definitely no Firaga though. Maybe... Firada? Firata? Firaza?"

Obviously, I think ripping music and images from games is generally wrong, especially for commercial purposes, though I think it's mostly fine for personal entertainment or maybe sharing with some friends.

So is it okay to call it a Black Mage? A Blue Mage? A Dragoon?

When, if ever, does using popular spell names become "stealing"? Is Fire okay? Flare? Cure? Meteor? Aero? Blizzaga?

What about Bahamut, Ifrit, Shiva, Leviathan...? Doom Train? Gilgamesh?

Are weapon names like Ragnarok, Excalibur, Masamune, and Ultima Weapon okay?

I'm not sitting here contemplating using all of these or anything, and I would expect raised eyebrows if I made a game that featured say "Firaga" and "Gilgamesh", but I'm not sure I'd feel too bad about having Cure, Protect, Shell, Fire, Regen, etc...

Pierman Walter

Chunk Monster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@AsuranFish What counts as stealing is subjective and seems to be based off how much of an obsessive fanboy the accuser is, but it generally isn't a good idea to use an iconic weapon or character name, and have it serve the same role in your story as the original. For example, if I made an assassin character named Ezio, that would be bad. There is some leeway on mythological terms, like Excalibur, Poseidon, Izanami, and stuff like that.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
There is some leeway on mythological terms, like Excalibur, Poseidon, Izanami, and stuff like that.

I doubt any sensible court will allow someone to copyright mythological terms in such a way that us using them will be not allowed... As such there is no point of accusing someone of stealing if they use a complete copy of Poseidon with all his mythological thingies for example. These things as I understand are public property, since they don't have an owner, you cant steal it.

If someone does own those names, I will be glad to be corrected. :)

Jiffy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hm . . . this discussion kinda brings up the memories of Undertale.

This game has a lot of mechanics that have been done to death, but combine them interesting ways. For example, Undertale has non-traditional turn based combat for most battles. Each turn you can decide an action: attack, talk, item, and run. It's pretty standard. However when it's the enemy's turn, it turns into a bullet hell where you have to dodge in order to not take any damage. I've never seen that combined in a game before and that was a pretty dayum cool idea
Only you can tell your own story, in your own way.
That's weird lol, I've seen tons of games throughout this century and before Undertale using near identical battle systems o. O. Could be because I play random Japanese RPGs lol. One of the more popular ones was called like tohoo? I don't remember the name lol. But it pretty much started the Bullet-Hell market.

LxCharon

I'm the best hyperbole writer in the world.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I feel like I just commented on another topic that is pretty much identical to this, but here I go anyway!

My question is: Why is this asked in RPGmaker forums so much? I mean this question can be asked of any game on the market. Tell me a game that's out right now that doesn't have a concept taken from another game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Jamaica? No, Aunty. I said, I'm on RPG Maker :*/
Lunar New Year is over :( but it's time to get back to work!
I keep giving myself deadlines because I'm so excited to finish something but I notice areas where I'm rushing the story and that's what's gonna weaken my overall project, gotta stop that
My new level features a Jellyfish character who cannot love, because he electrocutes everything he touches.
I prefer single roommates. After a hard day, all you want is sleep. I went to bed at 12. I was awakened at 2 because of my roommate laughing and whispering and stuff with her boyfriend on the phone. I didn't want to yell at her so I had to bear that cringy lovey dovey convo for half an hour, before I got so bored that I fell asleep again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
voxie