Youngest possible age for an RPG

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Stefanos, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Stefanos

Stefanos Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thank you for this explanation! After pressing "Generate curve", I was able to input what I wanted. While I am still deciding how important levels will be for this project, it will definitely be useful to know in future projects!

2. Stefanos

Stefanos Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So as slimmeiske2 said, I cannot incorporate mouse functionality for this one, even though it might have made a difference. Hopefully the fact that all one needs to do in battle is press the action button repeatedly will make it suitable enough.

3. Stefanos

Stefanos Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I learned quite a lot today about switches, thanks to this! I see they are quite handy to know. Right now my next stumbling block is how to progress from mission to mission, and how to make the availability of new missions contingent on the completion of their predecessors. At least the mysterious doppelgängers are gone!

4. starlight dream

starlight dream Loving life...One dream at a time Veteran

First Language:
    EN, EL, FR
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    New missions become available with switches, variables, conditions. It sounds complicated at first but once you understand these you'll be able to create most events in your game.
    Here are some simple and easy tutorials for new users:

GrandmaDeb's Ace Switches Demo/Tutorial.
    It's a tutorial made as an Ace game. Choose the Lite version to download & play :::
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/ace-switches-demo-tutorial.14799/

Also look at the tutorial:
    Conditions, Triggers, and Event pages.
    It's Short and simple:
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/conditions-triggers-and-event-pages.15098/

And another good one:
    Switches and Variables by Des:
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/switches-and-variables-part-one.348/

Happy learning and have fun along the way :)

Marsigne likes this.
  5. Stefanos

Stefanos Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thank you everyone for your help so far! I have still been making progress on days when I could. Now for a problem that I have no idea how to resolve: Multiple kinds of "death", such as "arrest" and "extinguish" that are enemy-specific.

How can one make it such that one can only "arrest" robbers and "extinguish" fires and not vice-versa? I would like to assign such roles to my party members that the constable is necessary for handcuffing the robbers, while firefighters can help in hosing them down to make the constable's job easier. I just cannot think of a way to make that happen!

I also have an issue with assigning my party members their standard attacks based on their roles and weapons. For a game this simple, I would rather have these personalised functions be accessible through the standard "Attack" function if I can avoid having an extra "Special" menu. This I feel may be due to having my wires crossed somewhere.

Additionally, I would like to be able to have the presence of random encounters contingent on the presence of field enemies. Is it possible to make a map property such as this contingent on the presence of field events?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Your latest set of questions are "How do I...?" (implementation) questions, and so should go in the Support forum for the engine you are using, so you need to post them there. 'Game Mechanics Design' is meant to be at a much more conceptual level.

7. Stefanos

Stefanos Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thank you for letting me know! I had some sense it might be, but at the same time I thought that if anyone immediately identifies any of these to be impossible or too ambitious, one might suggest a better or easier idea in place, though I understand if I was not clear enough about this. In any case, I posted these new questions in the other forum, so hopefully someone there will tell me that these things are possible.

8. JmyDown

JmyDown Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I would suggest not making the graphics too complex. If you look at kids shows, the backgrounds are always very simple as not to overwhelme their attention. It's ok to make things look pretty but don't have too many elements happening at the same time.

Look forward to seeing what it the end product looks like!

9. Stefanos

Stefanos Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello everyone, and thank you all for your continued support thus far!

I would like to present to you a rough draft of the game, where it is at least possible to make it to the very end in less than half an hour.

While I said this would be for a four-year-old, I did deviate from the plan a little bit, so while the subject is very kid-friendly, the game mechanics and plot are probably not. This is also why it is now all (mostly) in English (still some untranslated text I had overlooked which should not hinder your understanding).

With a more polished version of this, I was thinking of submitting it to the Indie Game Maker contest. What do you think of this idea? Would something like this have a chance? Is it a good place to show such a game, or might there be more appropriate events through which to share it?

As for sharing, however... how do I actually do it? I thought I could figure it out, but after compressing the game data and putting it on my desktop, I cannot get it from the desktop to here.

10. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You need to upload it to a site such as Mediafire, Dropbox etc., and then provide the link if you want to submit it to this site.
    If you are thinking of submitting it for the contest, please note it must be entirely in English already and you upload it to the competition web site.
    If you want to upload it for comment before it is completed, then it should be posted in 'Games in Development'. You can read the requirements for posting here.

11. sgeos

sgeos π/180 Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If I recall correctly, the prehistoric chapter in Live A Live has no text. I thought it was ingenious.

12. Stefanos

Stefanos Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So like this?
    <--snip--> please see my post below

I just posted this link in the forum as you advised, so hopefully I have done it properly!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2017
  13. Kes

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yes, that's absolutely right in terms of providing a link.

I have, however, had to remove the link as games cannot be posted in this particular forum. The only place for them is, as my post said, in either 'Games in Development' or the competition site.