Your 1st in game boss battle?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Holder, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Holder

Holder Loading... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Curiously wondering what's your first boss battle you have within your game? Do you go for the big Wasp/Bee and large Slime? How do you switch it up to grab the players attention to show them it's a big step up and not just their usual battle but with a new creature?

2. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    All of my bosses and mini-bosses have some cutscene dedicated to them, and in my RM2K3 game, mini-bosses were hidden behind a small puzzle or something since they were optional. For my RM2K3 game, the first boss was a giant tree that summoned a bunch of creatures to fight for it. In my current project, the first boss is an (RTP) ogre that you get to fight twice, because he runs from battle the first time he starts to lose.

The RM2K3 boss battles also had an opening animation, to make sure the player was aware they were facing a boss... Lol.

Henryetha and Holder like this.
  3. Chrisx994

Chrisx994 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Aside from having higher stats and powerful skills bosses in my game has a dialogue before, some in-battle dialogues and usually 1-2 extra forms.

4. The Mighty Palm

The Mighty Palm Resident Palm Tree Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The first boss of one of my games was a Goblin King and his minions. Easiest way to beat him was to leave his weakest minion alive and he'd hide behind them and throw insults at you instead of attacking.

JoelMarler and RachelTheSeeker like this.
  5. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My first boss battle is an animated Blender (seriously). It was created when a spell went haywire and now you have to smash it to pieces. It is mainly a test of have you figured out the weakness system yet as it is weak to an attack of one of your 4 party members at that point in time, and will fall in about 4 hits of a skill that uses that weakness.

As for how do I cue the player, it uses a different music than the other fights. Usually that is sufficient in 99% of the games I play so I see no need for other cues, as it is what FF games, Persona, and any other game I can think of does.

RachelTheSeeker likes this.
  6. Mystic_Enigma

Mystic_Enigma Squirrely Sanguine Veteran

In MY world, you are not welcome in my world!
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My first boss is the leader of a group that has (allegedly) been causing trouble in the area. But just because it's the first boss doesn't mean he will be a walk in the park...After damaging him enough, he summons a couple of of his Cat comrades as well as use an ability that raises his chance to land critical hits, which makes him more dangerous!

Even if you happen to beat him before the minions, they will use stat-boosting abilities in retaliation if they're still around. He also has an elemental weakness that you won't have, but are given consumable items that help with that as a hint.

7. RetroExcellent

RetroExcellent Pixelated Avatar of Chaos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My game is an action RPG in the vein of Secret of Mana. My first boss is actually your second party member, she introduces flying enemies and ranged attacks, up to this point all the enemies were pretty basic.

8. Rhaeami

Rhaeami The Sleepy-Eyed One Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I try to avoid boss battles that aren't related to the story in some way, so there's that. In my current project I also try to fundamentally differentiate boss battles from normal battles - there's a specific gimmick that the first 7 bosses all have in common, for example. :kaopride:

9. MMMm

MMMm Veteran Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    If you have TV sprites for the enemy, then you can show them beating up other guys.

Like your heroes enter the woods to hunt the monsters and some town guards comes with you. Your heroes fight one group of monsters and the guards fight the others. When you catch up with the guards, the ogre is throwing them around and the guards are breaking trees on impact.

Then the ogre taunts the party and you fight him.

It's a presentation thing mostly. You could do the same thing if you don't have sprites for your monster, just claim that he was using an invisibility spell and that one of your characters nullified it, so that's why you can see him when the battle starts.

Then you can give your boss a death scene where he tries to take everyone down with him or whisper cryptic threats.

If you don't have TVD or downed sprites for enemies, you can just say that monsters turn into money and items when they die.

10. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It's a teaser of the fourth character :p

Calluses likes this.
  11. Holder

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    :LZScheeze: The most subtle intro to a boss battle ever.
    A cool concept that is like.

I see a lot of people like the idea of using minions or smaller similar enemies to the boss to surround it.

Introducing a new concept that the player will want, nice :LZSsmile:

Milennin likes this.
  12. RachelTheSeeker

RachelTheSeeker Suddenly, a summer breeze... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Some sort of monster who's also a diabolic cook, and whose accursed cooking not only a) close to ran a local mom-and-pop restaurant owner out of business, and b) also began to curse the locals of that same village into becoming mundane animals. For now, not sure what abilities he'll have but definitely a cannibal-cook style thing.

For the most part, the game will be more story-based and episodic, so none of the bosses will be without consequence with any luck.

Holder likes this.
  13. Holder

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I was reading that thinking you were talking about your boss at your first job :LZSrasp: thought you'd got the wrong end of the stick.

14. Redeye

Redeye Chronicles Creator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    My current project is sort of unique due to the fact that it's technically non-linear. The first 23 bosses can be fought in multiple different orders, depending on the paths you choose while exploring the dungeons that connect to the hub town. At the start, you are given 2 paths to choose from. Depending on the path you choose, you will go through a dungeon (An overgrown forest or a strip of beachland) and at the end you will fight the area boss.

The forest's area boss is this creepy grim reaper-like monster with a spider lily for a head. The boss has access to poison, water magic, a couple debuffs, and an AoE physical attack. At 50% HP, the boss will summon 2 minions that cast magic and poison, and the boss itself will gain access to a powerful physical attack that deals extra damage to poisoned targets. Luckily for you, one of your party members is a thief, and the boss just so happens to have a poison resist trinket on them.

The beach's area boss is very similar to the Ornstein and Smough fight from Dark Souls. You have 2 baddies, a mage and a bruiser. If you manage to kill one of them, the other inherits its abilities, gains a permanent buff, and is fully healed.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  15. D.L. Yomegami

D.L. Yomegami Sanely Insane Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    At the moment, the first boss of my game is a dragon. To be more specific, it's a dragon said to be sacred to the Goddess of the world, and whose presence indicates massive upheaval to come. Given that dragons tend to be mid-to-late game enemies in most other RPGs, and the enemies before it are things like slimes, I think it'd be very obvious that it's a cut above the normal enemy the player had been facing up until that point.

Gameplay-wise I haven't quite figured it out yet (mostly due to my philosophy of designing the final boss first and basing the other bosses on individual parts of that one), but it's pretty simple. It has a physical attack that hits one party member, and a magical breath attack that hits the entire party.

However, every five turns or so it'll "glare" at a specific party member, and on the following turn follow that up with Tail Smash, a powerful physical attack that stuns the target and forces them to move last for the following turn. If the target of the glare guards, however, the stun and agility debuff are blocked. Tail Smash is meant to serve the double purpose of informing the player that spamming EX skills (limit breaks), which have a speed penalty to their usage, is likely to get them killed and that stuns are a good counter to enemy EX skills.

16. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    On my current game, the first enemies are all the same and then the first boss battle has a cutscene before it and he's the first enemy that uses a different sprite, he's also the first enemy that has an extra skill.

17. Aoi Ninami

Aoi Ninami Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have a separate room at the back of the dungeon that has no monsters, just a chest, a healing crystal, and a rocky ledge with a ladder leading up it. Although the room is much smaller than the main room, it's also much bigger than it would need to be for just those three things, so it has the appropriate sense of climax. The boss is also represented by a unique sprite on the map, while all other monsters have a generic slime sprite.

18. Nekohime1989

Nekohime1989 'Monks Are Awesome' Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My first (real) boss completely wipes out the entire party. Why? cause he's based off this jerk. Enter the long line of balancing. I have yet to kill him. He should be powerful enough that its a challenge. (Winning is not required)

19. Traverse

Traverse Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The tutorial battle that introduces all the battle mechanics. I'm guessing that's not quite what you were going for, though.
    I like to think the best indicator of being a Big Deal is when the enemy walks on two legs, has a face and actually talks to the player before/during the battle. Killing something is whole lot harder when it has conversed with you. Especially if it has voiced anything apart from death threats and insults.

And, of course, anybody genre savvy can usually tell you that if it says anything of importance at all the plot is also going to tend to protect it from any serious harm until a climax point in the story.

20. FergardStratoavis

FergardStratoavis Villager Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    At the moment, the leader of a cult the main character is sent to eliminate, flanked by two skelly bodyguards.

I'm admittedly having some trouble figuring out the balance on that guy: he's the first enemy in the game to use magic, which means hitting for much more serious damage than anyone else beforehand. I fiddled with the magic numbers at first, but I didn't want to make party spellcasters too weak as a result, so for now I settled on low hp (he has only 300, while his bodyguards have 325 each; for comparison, the second boss has 1k of health, but only uses physical damage, so the numbers are more manageable). Another issue of balancing is that I need to make some sense of how Cover works, so that the skellies stop covering once there's no one else to cover.

Narratively, I might include some sort of a flashback segment that ends with a hopeless boss fight before the present time begins, so the High Priest would still be the first real boss.