Your All Time Favorite Indie Game

Liny_An

Digital/Pixel artist
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A
What is your absolute favorite indie game of all time, the one that beats all the others, no matter other people's opinion on it?

And what is the reason behind it? Is it the story, the game design, the nostalgia, the fanbase...?

I'll start. My favorite indie game is Undertale. After having played quite a few of them, despite some being more pleasant to play, and prettier, this one is still special to me. I am impressed with Toby Fox's ability to make his world so unusual, yet so well structured, detailed, and coherent. The world building is crazy and has led to many people making really well thought out theories about all aspects of the game. The way he uses game mechanics to tell the story is another thing I love about this game.
I'd say, the game in itself is impressive, but it's what it represents to me that makes me love it so much. It just shows that people can be incredibly creative and tell stories in so many different ways, and it's why indie games have always been my favorite games. They rarely limit themselves in what they can do and they end up being so unique and inspiring.

Here you go. Your turn now :D

Failivrin

Final Frontiersman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love "art games" like Samorost and Hohokum. Games almost entirely built around wonder and curiosity, where you're thrown into wacky, beautiful worlds with no real objective but to poke things and see what happens.

Walldeaf

The Event-Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Okay, I would have to say, besides the FF series up to 10, it will have to be:
Legend of Legaia.
I fell in love with that game, as it started the fire in me to play more and more RPG's.
I liked the battle system alot, the graphics, the gameplay, the story.
That game was just in one word: Awesome.
I did play the 2nd part, it had the same vibe as the 1st one, but my love is definitely for the 1st one. Legend of Legaia !

HarlekinLehl

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, Dungeon Rummage of course! (Shameless self advertising).
Jokes aside, I enjoyed Dungeon Dreams a lot. And I still do. Great RM game actually. (You can check it out on steam)

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If by Indie means, only one or a few developers without a corporate backing them up, and by fave means the longest playtime and/or keep replaying the game, then, mine would be, Mindustry.

Excluding MMO and online games, it is one of few games I own on Steam that managed to break more than 100 hours of gameplay. Indie or AAA aside, most of them I stopped playing at around 20 hours or even lesser. A good single-player game usually lasts for 70 ~ 80 hours before I put it down. And you can count it with your finger in my game library. More than 100 hours usually because it is an addicting single-player game, a game that requires connection, or simply MMO.

Now, as the reason why. Well, it is both super cheap and addicting. There is no story, just gameplay. And it is a strategy game. Must.. design... stuff... efficiently...

It is not a game for everyone though.

HankB

Actual size
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I almost don't even want to mention it because it's so common to say, but I have to give credit where it's due: Stardew Valley. I mean, it's about as Indie as it gets, the one guy did everything with pretty much zero budget. And GOD did I play that game into the ground. So many blueberries. So much fishing.

Rubescen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hollowknight. Great aesthetic, fun and challenging gameplay, and a an intriguing setting. Definitely one of my favorite games and also by a 3-person team, so I think that qualifies as pretty Indie -- though not quite as much as Stardew Valley..

Animebryan

Need more resources!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If we're not discriminating against 'fan remakes' of AAA series, then my favorite would have to be AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake). For a indie developed game, it was a masterpiece & the ultimate love letter to the Metroid series, even better than what Nintendo did for it. It's a shame that big businesses are so narrow minded to not acknowledge & praise fans like DoctorM64 for putting so much effort & dedication into such a game (without pay) and just simply hire the guy to work for them.

User636

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For me personally, it's Hylics and Hylics 2. The games have their shortcomings, but I really love the unique aesthetic and otherworldly nature of their settings and characters.

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
idk, probably Doki Doki Literature Club, i guess.

TheGentlemanLoser

"And when we fall, we will fall together..."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Dwarf Fortress, Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, Sword Of The Stars: The Pit, and most recently Caves of Qud are my all-time favorite indie games. All are roguelikes; I think all roguelikes are indie by default although correct me if I'm wrong! All of my favorite indie games, certainly, are roguelikes. DCSS, too! These are games that I have spent hundreds upon hundreds, often thousands, of hours of my life on.

Another thing I notice these games have in common besides being roguelikes is that with the exception of SOTS: TP which I think is in a final stable build now with all the DLCs release, these games aren't finished and won't ever *be* finished, by design, the Devs seem to plan on continuing to add stuff and tweak stuff forever and ever and ever and ever.

After these, some of the ones that occur to me first are in fact RPG Maker games although I only played these once and thought 'well that's amazing', I didn't return to them again and again and again like I have with Dwarf Fortress but they're amazing and I've been doing RM long enough to appreciate the amount of work that went into them: Sunset Over Imdahl, Three The Hard Way, and the tragically and presumably eternally unfinished A Blurred Line.

I also have a lot of love for some of the Retraux Neo-"Boomer Shooter" FPS games that I tried for the first time this year, Amid Evil, Project Warlock (which definitely isn't without its issues) Dusk, and Ion Maiden. All of those were indie AF EDIT: okay, not Ion Maiden, that was made with the involvement of some of the Apogee/id Software OGs that were involved with making the first generation of Build Engine games.

Hollowknight. Great aesthetic, fun and challenging gameplay, and a an intriguing setting. Definitely one of my favorite games and also by a 3-person team, so I think that qualifies as pretty Indie -- though not quite as much as Stardew Valley..

I've tried this for the first time this past couple weeks now and I am having trouble getting into it. In general I am not a big Metroidvania fan but I bought in to the hype and bought it (presumably when it was on sale). The aimless wandering feels a little well, aimless, to me. I'm just kind of futzing around underground. The visuals and sounds are great and the gameplay is very smooth, but w/o the immediate in-your-face holy-crap-this-is-hard challenge of a Souls game (and Hollowknight definitely feels Souls-y) the lack of a clear goal/impetus/directive is making it hard for me to get into the game. Is there a particular point you'd suggest I beeline towards where the game picks up/where it might catch me? I've fought the first couple bosses, I think the last thing I did was unlock the first ranged spell.

Last edited:

overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hades or Stardew Valley I suppose. There are a lot of fun Indie games out there it makes ranking them hard.

...oh I know - any game we at BroCoG have/will made/make. :rwink:

Edit: Wait - Dream Daddy - Dream Daddy is my favorite Indie game!

Rubescen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Is there a particular point you'd suggest I beeline towards where the game picks up/where it might catch me? I've fought the first couple bosses, I think the last thing I did was unlock the first ranged spell.
So for me, a lot of the charm was just wandering the interesting environments. It's definitely light on a narrative, most of which is buried the dirt of the hollownest and easy to miss. That said, I think the game and the story really pick up after meeting/battling Hornet in the green path. It sounds like you're not quite there yet. That introduces more of the story and gets you the air dash ability so you can go to a lot of new places. (Although he real thrust of the plot, such that it is starts with the city of tears, which is a bit after that).

But yeah, it can be frustratingly hard at times (yet then I watch someone on youtube do a no-hit run and realize I'm just not very good). Some of the bosses are miserable, especially when new to the game. The controls are pretty smooth though, and it never really feels unfair. I played with a controller, so I think that helps, though my friend played keyboard and he still liked it.

In any case, I'd recommend trying to get a little farther in, but really if you're not enjoying it that's fair. It's not for everyone (I also like Dark Souls even though I'm terrible at it, so...)

Latest Profile Posts

Redesigning characters after such a long time feels great. Makes me excited to work on an old game again.
Phone menu to replace main menu WIP:
It's been that long since I wrote a plugin, it took me 4 attempts to realize it's != rather than #. In a 40-line plugin, 20 of those lines being documentation!
Disk Check Plugin - Running on Linux:
RMMV-Game-Mint.png
workin on some graphics for my game. was originally planning on doing a cartoony style for the town but I might stick with this instead

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GTVenm