Your ambition with RPG Maker

When you are using RPG Maker what is your primary motivation for using it?

• I'm just making it for hobby

• I want for my game to be successful and popular

• I'm just learning game design with it

• I prototype my games with it

Results are only viewable after voting.

ered_luin

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Croatian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello everyone!

I was wondering. When you are using RPG Maker what is your primary motivation for using it?

Feel free to write down why did you choose your answer or something about it.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
First and foremost, my goal is to write/share my stories and make games that I love playing.
I also hope people like them and they become as successful as possible.
Down the road, the goal is also to make a living out of it. Again, for as long as possible.

Ami

World Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i make the game just for my own,'cause i'm not really sure to share my work to everyone.

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan (More than ever)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am not sure yet.

For now, I just enjoy doing it as a hobby but also to get into game-design in general.

However, if I ever actually finish a game and I am happy with it, I'll probably consider selling and distributing it aswell.

But yeah, I think RPG Maker is great as an outlet for your creativity.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I try to make a nice story out of it in the way I like my game genre's,
but mostly just as a hobby, successfull or not doesn't matter.

but I hope when a demo can come out, my goal mostly is out of my hobby,
that people love the game I made.

but not as successfull developer, just for fun, nothing more, nothing less.
it's also intresting how some things can be replicated or with a twist.

I also enjoy how people create their stories and their maps which for some
are outstanding, but there are poor games too, but I dont mind what people
think of the game I make, I hope I can make it as enjoyable as possible.

I aim for Adventure, Action, Puzzle, which are my main genre's, story is
optional, but hope I can make something nice out of it.

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm making a game so it will help me pay out bank's loan.

Arctica

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The money doesn't interest me as I doubt I'll make anything note worthy. It serves as a big mental distraction in my life right now. I prefer being frustrated over not being able to do something in my game than worrying about something going on in my RL. That doesn't mean I got no plans, I already got the setting all planned out and my main character done.

orochii

Abomination of life, or life itself.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
I just make shiz to entertain my brain. :)

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's just a hobby for me. If a game I make happens to get some popularity, it'll be a nice extra, but it's not something I count on or aim for.

h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
When I started out with making games, there was initially another engine before RPG Maker, however, due to the simplicity of RPG Maker, it quickly became the main jam to get into game design. As much as I want to make a game that is successful, I don't think I could achieve my dream project with RPG Maker. That said, it's the engine I love the most due to the simplicity of it, with the added layer of plugins making it more advanced and getting closer to that dream being possible in RPG Maker every day. RPG Maker is and will always remain as my favorite engine. I consider it as a hobby and see it as a potential for a banger game that can claim success, but with the main motivation being to tell a story :)

Rex Tenebris

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hobbies has more chances to change your life than studying a lot for suddenly lose your job, or even never ever reaching it and instead work behind a transporter of a market living in a loop of economical crisis in your home.

If you're really putting effort in a hobby game with RPG Maker, then you should take it to a next level and bring a sucessful RPG Maker game, so you can make a living with your hobby.

That should be the target of everyone, and I think that in Japan some RPG Maker games might became famous to even bring brand new projects under other more powerful engines, and even reach the big screen. There are many things that never are shown on the news, because them are done discreetely.

As for me? I want to make a sucessful RPG Maker game, wanted it since I discovered RPG Maker 2000 being a kid, but my life was always ****ing tough and for me is pretty hard to get inspired, but nowadays, even still having troubles knocking at my door to STILL frustrate my own progress in general, I decided to try force myself to finally launch it, specially now that MV and MZ bring us the chance to port our projects to smartphones where the real market is moving as of today, since nearly everyone is bringing on them these devices and not a laptop or a videoconsole to play videogames.

At least now, despite being low paid, I have a fixed contract, but since it is on a private business I can lose it any day due an economical crisis of the company, so before face this situation and go back to the old loop in my fathers home, but this time with him not being able to work due disease, and have to force me in do jobs that my health wouldn't bear, before all this, I want launch a videogame in less than a year.

Stop the perfeccionism, stop the obsesive use to look at all details or to desire do the best from the start, crap, I even stopping to think on new characters and names aside from the rpg maker ones, what any RPG Maker developer with desire to build a sucessful videogame, is First Do Something, Release It, Promote It, and Then Improve It Overtime With The Gains You're Making.

Spend all your savings on develope a game is a mistake, just spend for the essential things, invest half of the rest on promotion, make your project be known, and if it got sucessful, then invest the gains to improve it, you could even end running your own staff and switching to a more powerful engine.

But rule:
  1. Don't spend too much time on developing your game, if you're stuck at the preparations of your game, then you have an issue of perfeccionism, don't look too much at it, if there's something isn't working as you expected (plugins issues), discard the ones which are least essential for the beginning, you'll get someone making patches or same systems from zero to ensure compatibility with what you want.

2. Don't spend too much money either, develope a videogame is NOT expensive, at least with RPG Maker. Sure, you must spend some extra if you want make a minimally appealing game, because even if you write the most wonderful history of all eras, just using RTP stuff with zero improvements can make players have the common reactions of "rpg maker games are not real games, blablabla".... but... you also don't need to like converting the entire RPG Maker engine in a new one (3d maps, iso maps, ray tracing(?))... you bought RPG Maker not only due simplicity, but also due being a budget engine, remember it.

3. First Do, then improve, and repeat. What a casuality that many videogames businesses had first 8-bit videogames, and many of them today are handling over five parallel projects for several platforms with AAA graphics, and even launched their own animes, mangas, movies, selling merchandising, and a long etc. What can you do with RPG Maker? You can also make 8-bit videogames if you want, and if it is very original, even be a success in the playstore, so yes, is not necessary to start trying to make a "2D AAA", just make something fun, original in its own way, and if it fails (not due promotion, but due bad opinions), just cease that project and start another one fixing the weak points of the first one. In that way, you can steadily make a good one, and the one that is getting a pretty good opinion and decent recognition is which you must begin to improve further, specially if it brings you some economical support either by patrons, selling some kind of subscription, selling the product at a small tiny price that almost everyone can afford, or just by advertising.

4. Never for free, make money in some way. Because your time does cost money, voluntary/caritative/etc ways of work are only for the people who indeed has either already enough money or plenty of time to do it. But even so, you should make some kind of money with the project, because life is not always good. As I said before, make it by patrons, selling at single price, sell subscription... or just put ads not only in your site but also inside the game (with moderation please, no one likes adbombs or intrusive ads in middle of their inmersion). This will also help you in continue applying the Rule 3.

5. Complete games no longer exists. This is very clear when the business model of literally ALL big game company is DLC/Part 2/Weekly/BiWeekly/Monthly/Semester/Yearly update. Put some kind of updater to your game, or if it's not that big bring a whole new update every x to continue further your videogame, make sure that the progress on each update can be continued, and you'll be safe. Don't think on spend over two years on it, even take a full year (if you have a pretty decent free time to invest on it), can be an issue that you're putting too much dedication on it which can lead to a Total Waste of Time and Resources. Big companies are taking dlcs and regular update business model not purely due money, but also because this gives them the chance to fix the problems they discover, or even re-do some stuff, this is economically more safe for them than launch a full videogame and even having AAA graphics be a ****ing **** for the majority of the world and go bankrupt. Hell, even Coin Master is still improving, and is a game that could be considered already complete due being damn simple and essentially being always the exact same thing as the beginning.
And I could say more rules, but these ones are the most importants.

As for me, yeah I have a very ****ing tough life, not just since this year, but since I have memories (since 3 years old), overcame many bad situations in childhood, teenhood and the adulthood is just a hell with the mental health in game, but I'm pretty sure that specially today I'm not the only one having a ****ing tough life, maybe some of us are trying to hide from reality behind the screen at looking this community and trying to make a videogame (or doing other stuff like watch anime, listen music, etc) before/after suffer tragical and even irreversible situations....

What we must do is, if we're still lucky to have some time on make our videogame, take this chance to focus in launch a videogame in relatively short time, who knows? Maybe any of us could even launch a videogame in three days and become a sucess in a couple of months.

Well, guys, I'll stop here, must invest my free time on try inspirate for my rpg videogame.
Good luck to everyone!!

AssumedPseudonym

Lawful Neutral
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
 Definitely doing this as a hobby in my case, though I say that with at least two asterisks. The first of those is that I’m learning game design with it (and, actually, that has an asterisk of its own because I do have some prior experience on that front); the second is that of course I would love to see my game(s) be successful and popular. First and foremost, though? Hobby. I’m doing this because I have Ideas™ and this is the format in which I want to share them.

Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Its a hobby, but I have plans for a commercial game, but first I want to produce at least 3 free games, which I hope people will enjoy.
I also need/want to get better in different skills like pixelart and drawing on the way.
Im ambitious, but very lazy too, rivaling a basset hound.^^

ElCheffe

JRPG Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For me it is a hobby I can use to relax. I want to see my project succesful and running, but most importantly is the fun during creation. Just seeing something being created from scratch is great, like walking on your newly designed map, testing some encounters and skills, and so on.
The moment they do work as intended is just...well, so satisfying. :kaopride:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have achieved my goal in RPG Maker many years ago, I have satisfied my curiosity, now if I'm doing RPG Maker at all, it is mostly doing it as a hobby.

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's pretty much a hobby for me but maybe one day it could be more? For me working on my game is a way to express my ideas and tell a story. The whole reason I started working on Untold Story is because I wanted to make an RPG that companies just weren't making anymore. That's still my goal, but it has changed and improved over time.

I do want to and try to make a game that will appeal to a lot of players that like the same things I do (a lot of story and characters/unique roles for party members/turn based battles) but at the end of the project, I am working on Untold Story for me. I am making a game I want to play and that's what matters most.

Shikamon

The Dragonslayer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well same thing like gaming, it's just a hobby.
Even I play it like one of JRPGs. the difference is you can create your own characters, story, etc with all freedom within capability system itself.

Luminous

Twilight Memoria
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
For my solo project, it's just a hobby.
But if someone wants to work together with me on a commercial project and be successful with it.
I will do my roles with all I am because I love to work as a group ^^

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I just don't know why, but it's funny.
5.gif
Ugh. The one time I forget to save every hour or so is also the day my computer crashes. That's life!
Even though I spent 100's of dollars on my game already. I think I might just have to give it away for free. Since I haven't heard back from people if I could use some of their graphics. Even from a global mod here. Maybe I can make a donation thing.
you know, some days you get resentful that game dev is even considered a "fun job" and other days it's like, welp, time to roll up my sleeves and code these molotov cocktails
If you suck at playing trumpets, that is probably why.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sousou123232