Your big miss in the crowdfunding, What not to do ? fail?

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by Jonforum, Jun 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jonforum

Jonforum Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I open this post to share your projects that have been Big Fail..

• What was your project?
    • Why did you fail?
    • Comment on what you expect from a project that you would be ready to give money ?
    I start with my first big failure with crowdfunding .. (big Fail)
    And I give you some advice not to follow.

here i very old projet from me, a gaming card platform (my projet rmmv are inspire by this)
    I lost the video introduction, but it is available on this old kickstarter page.

If my project seems to you well built, it was a total failure.
    The idea of this post is to talk about your fail, but also, your learn after fail.
    I hope to be able to help by giving my opinion on one of my chess and what I think.

here the concept game
    It was a platform game.
    If I mention it, is that my project rpg maker is inspired by the concept I have established with this kickstarter fail..
    [​IMG]
    You will recognize the tileset from rpg maker VXace or 2000, on the map
    I do not remember.

YES WAS multilangu , here for french

*In my opinion, what not to do
    If you do not mastering video editing software , ask a pro.
    If your fury seems good, people are accustomed to sensational.

If the voice synthesis software is very impressive.
    Avoid, people want to hear you and know you.

The presentation 3D these pretty, but to avoid the software profesionelle like sketchup, it is dedicate to the 3d for profesionelle in ingenerie and not for the presentation in application video play.
    (i use sketchup for my video)

Avoid websites with free web hosts!.
    like , www.mysiteweb.og.st
    Opt instead for .com .ca .us .eur
    Opt for indicative representative of countries where the international.
    I can not believe that the page of this project still exists apret all these years.
    This is my offical projet page very old !
    Yet very professional and complete, he had taken me several months.
    By consulting this page you can see the complexity and the launch of the project at the program level.
    http://uonesence.co.nf/

Too good to be true !
    too mutch Offering, can also cause consumer distrust.
    |Do not sell dream

Do you have any other opinion on the why of the fail of this project?
    It is 3 or 4 years old, but I am open to all comment to learn what not to do in marketing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Artificer and lianderson like this.
  2. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I've moved this thread to Commerican RPG Maker Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have never done a crowd funding project of my own, so my hands on experience is zero. But looking at this as a potential buyer - the English is full of errors of spelling and grammar. Take as an example the 'How the cards work' section. The card itself has an error (it should be lives, not lifes) and the description has several errors as well as a stray non English word (the A with an accent.) This looks deeply unprofessional, which is no good if you are trying to get people to back you.

As a player I would assume that the game itself will be full of slip ups, and so I would not be motivated to give money towards its completion. I suspect the same line of thought passed through other peoples' minds as well.

The lesson to take from this is that if you are doing anything at all, you should have it proof read, and this is doubly important if it is not your native language. You have to be able to demonstrate on all aspects of your game and its presentation that your approach is professional and thorough.

lianderson likes this.
  4. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Kickstarters are also all about networking - you have to promote and continue promoting your kickstarter. Reach out to websites that review projects like yours, see if they will cover your project. Make sure you get your fans sharing it on social media. It's not going to work out if no one knows of its existence.

The release date of your Kickstarter also matters - you want to avoid weekends for example, where everyone is out doing stuff.

onipunk, Zeriab and lianderson like this.
  5. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not confident enough to pull such campaign. I'd rather go safe with Patreon if anything.

But I gotta say, your "fail" project looks awesome :D!

6. onipunk

onipunk Archmage of Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yeah, I've never crowdfunded but if I'm looking at Kickstarters there's a few things I want to see:

- A very well-written pitch. If your first language isn't English, you need to find or hire someone to write your pitch for you, and if it is you should still find someone with either a background in editing or with a portfolio of published writing to gloss up your pitch. At the end of the day, you're trying to sell people something, so you need to make it clear exactly what you intend to achieve with your project and convince people that they want you to achieve this too.
    - A well-produced video. Hire a video editor and/or someone with a background in film of any kind (web, commercial, TV) and good equipment. If your video quality and sound quality is terrible, it makes your and your product look unprofessional.
    - A certain level of polish. For me, Kickstarter is about a product that already has a team and a good amount of work behind it, and I'd expect to be able to see some near-final quality gameplay before I'd consider pledging any money towards it.
    - You and your team's pedigree or background. I want to know what other things the people on the dev team have worked on, what skills they're bringing to the table and what talents they have. If you haven't worked on a commercial game before, I'd want to see some evidence that you understand gaming and game design, whether you're a published writer/blogger, a Youtuber with quality videos etc. Everyone starts somewhere, but in my opinion you should never crowdfund your first project, releasing games for free so people can see what you can do and let them decide whether or not to pledge is a far better way to build up a fanbase and eventually work your way up to asking people for money.
    - Transparency. This is such an important one for Kickstarter in light of several big projects that failed utterly. You need to make a commitment to openness and honesty with your backers, you need to tell them exactly what the money will be used for and you need to be aware of your shortcomings and tell them what they are and what problems you might run into during development.
    - Near-commercial quality. This is somewhat specific to RPG Maker games, but there are a lot of failed Kickstarters out there which use default RTP graphics, with mapping that isn't the highest-quality out there and default music, and I wouldn't pay for that. If you're serious about making money, you should be trying your hardest to making a game that can impress with screenshots, with quality art assets and preferably an original soundtrack. Plenty of people make games with default assets (and they can be great games!) and sell them on Steam for a small price or give them away for free. If they're doing that, why should someone else be able to make a game like that and ask to be paid to do so? It's a much, much harder sell, especially to people outside the RPG Maker community.

Companies whose members have a lot more experience in the industry spend months creating and perfecting their Kickstarters, and it's absolutely not something you can make in one draft and call it done. It should be something you run by numerous people with a wide range of skillsets multiple times before you even think about putting it on the site. Make an effort, is all I'm saying. If it looks like you're committed to the project and your Kickstarter, your video and your game all have that same level of quality, people will be a lot more likely to fund it.

EDIT: I only just now realised the date of the last post in the thread, that's my bad. Still, I feel like my post could be useful to people looking to start crowdfunding in future and I'd like to keep it up, but if a mod wants me to delete it I will. No necroposting in future, sorry!

Jonforum likes this.