Your Dream Career

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by standardplayer, Jun 25, 2019.

1. standardplayer

standardplayer Keeper of Kitties Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I searched around the forum and couldn't find a thread like this, though I'm sure one exists somewhere on this site.
    Anyway, what's your dream job/career?

Obviously, most of us here would like to make video games, so let's keep that response out of this.
    It can be totally real, it can be silly, whatever you want. Just don't say video game designer, or any jobs to do with being a video game developer. We already know that ;b

Also, if you don't mind, put the name of the job/s you'd like to have in bold, since that's the true point of this thread.

Alright, for me, a job I'd really like to get into is database management/Ops Dev, preferrably with a bank.
    I've worked for a bank's call center before, and the general crowd really wasn't my thing.
    However, I have several friends that are into the programming/developer side of things and....I love what I see/hear.

Marsigne likes this.
  2. Marsigne

Marsigne Sephiroth Veteran

First Language:
    Other
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'd love to be the Godfather of Analysis, which is basically a bunch of fields meshed together in an interesting way. :yhappy:

standardplayer likes this.
  3. Elliott404

Elliott404 RookieGameDev Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My dream job is to be a sweet chef since I love baking, and making sweets, especially cakes.

4. standardplayer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Marsigne it sounds like you could either be the villain in a dystopian future or an Obi-Wan cave-dweller with wise advice and who's seen it all ;b
    @Elliott404 baking is the only food preparation I have an intuition for. I wish it was bench-pressing steaks onto the stove top and then slam-dunking them into the oven, but it's not.

Marsigne and Elliott404 like this.
  5. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Rock singer (or drummer), novelist. And successful at it, of course. B):rock-right:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  6. Marsigne

Marsigne Sephiroth Veteran

First Language:
    Other
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Or both. :2k31:

7. Ryisunique

Ryisunique Detective, AUEI Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Master Detective.

From the MCF games. Or the detective from the Dark Parable games.

Author would also be something I would like to do. Either let me solve crimes or write them.

8. standardplayer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Indinera I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a secret desire to be a rock star

@Ryisunique my fiancee introduced me to MCF and Big Fish Games as a whole, she LOVES mysteries and hidden object games

Ryisunique likes this.
  9. Ryisunique

Ryisunique Detective, AUEI Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @standardplayer Eipix is a good one as well. I love the Final Cut series.

standardplayer and Marsigne like this.
  10. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    IT, because I love digital technology.

11. standardplayer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Windows i7 Likewise. I'm finding that, with no college on my part, it's tough to land a job in the field. I've got something lined up though, hopefully it works out

12. Mr. Detective

Mr. Detective NATO Special Operative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    My biggest dream was to become an electrical engineer. I wanted to create robots that can think like humans. I was inspired by Mega Man X. Well, let's say that this dream is in the same place as my future and self-confidence: limbo. :oops:

I've thought about other careers as well: soccer player, martial artist, actor, Navy SEAL, police officer, detective, chef, translator, intepretor.
    I might start my own business in the future, so perhaps I'll be a restaurant owner, coffee shop owner, video game studio owner. :confused:

I also joked about becoming a makeup artist, or selling women's underwear, or plastic surgery doctor. So I get to see attractive girls every day. :rolleyes:

13. Astfgl66

Astfgl66 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I'd like to go to mars and be an astronaut.

I've actually looked into it. Common profiles are engineers or medical doctors that also have a master's degree in astrophysics. Major bonus points for knowing how to fly an aircraft and knowing several languages (french english chinese russian are the most popular). Also: being in the army, if you're american, helps.

Okay, for more realistic goals:
    I'd like to be a plastic surgeon.
    It's what I've wanted to do since my 3rd year of med school and getting to do a few rounds in a unit for burn victims and then in facial surgery and then in gynecology and then... you get the idea.

14. standardplayer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Mr. Detective way to keep it very honest and real at the end there XD

@Astfgl66 Space kind of terrifies me, I'm not gonna lie. Also, kudos to you for going to Med school. I knew a few people who went. I say 'knew' because they instantly became so busy and had such a workload that I haven't seen them since lol

15. tobimura.tobi

tobimura.tobi Villager Member

First Language:
    Indonesia
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello there!
    Well it's amazing to see many people have their dreams.
    Anyway for me umm.. I think I want to be a researcher or inventor or such like that especially in computer ww

Hmm maybe detective with martial arts or anything with brilliant skill also one that I want too (I called it secret agent ww)

But I just let my dreams flow away, and one have been picked, I will do my best

16. MagiCat

MagiCat Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I’ve always wanted to be a teacher and an author. Not needing a job but making artwork and going to the con circuit or renaissance festival are also things high on my list.

17. PikanyaDesu

PikanyaDesu Professional Amateur Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, if you asked my 16 year old self (many many years ago lol), he would say I'm currently working my dream job...IT Engineer.

One of the pieces of advice I can give to the younger folks is to go for a good job, and not necessarily a dream job, because eventually any job turns into work. The upside is that you can often times get a great feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction from jobs you may not expect. For a lot of people "Work Passion" and "Hobby Passion" can actually co-exist and help one another. I'm passionate about everything running and maintaining efficiently at work, as well as educating our userbase. Helping others out also yields a good amount of job satisfaction.

Unless I was making absolutely stupid money (HIGHLY doubt that), I would not quit my current job to do my previous "dream job", being a professional musician. I had a few gigs doing backing work and had formed several bands, nothing went much of anywhere and that is partly due to the structure of the music industry these days, but not entirely.

Made for a few tunes that are easy on the ears, but alas the road to musical success is a cruel one :(

For anyone who digs Nautical Indie music:

18. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My dream job is retirement on the beach. Then I'd make websites and RPG Maker plugins for fun.

19. standardplayer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Frogboy come on, that doesn't count. Do a real one! What's your dream career? You gotta be working for the answer to count, what do you do as you semi-retire at the beach?

@PikanyaDesu I definitely wanted to be a professional musician, but if I'm being honest I wasn't a good bandmate. I would always be a bit too controlling when it came to the writing, and that's not fun for other members who have ideas, too. So eventually I found I was happy to just write my own stuff, although I occasionally jam with friends. And I keep my mouth shut lol

Here's some of my old ones for RPG projects

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    PikanyaDesu likes this.
  20. PikanyaDesu

PikanyaDesu Professional Amateur Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I hear ya. I was accused of the same thing, but when your bandmates show up to 2 months' worth of rehearsals with jack squat and/or forgot what they played last time...it becomes easier to write stuff for them lol. Collaboration is great when everyone wants to be there and gels though. It sounds like it may have just been situations where there wasn't chemistry with the bandmates. Just as well, the industry isn't too friendly to bands these days and it can end up costing more than you make to run yourself these days.