Your dreams on the next RPG Maker(RMMV updates or brand new ones)

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by DoubleX, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Zeriab

Zeriab Huggins! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Be able to program/modify the editor itself. Could be through some kind of extension system or by having the editor being open.

I also hope the next maker will not be designed for 3D

Stanley likes this.
  2. ShinGamix

ShinGamix DS Style 4Ever! Veteran

First Language:
    April Fools
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  3. Mister.Right

Mister.Right Veteran Veteran

Here my wish list I would consider purchasing the next version if it has;

- Full support parallaxes mapping with more layers. There's plug-in out there but I prefer official support.
    - Full time/night/day weather, event schedule support. Same as above there's plugin but I prefer official support.
    - Collision detection.
    - More sprite poses, sprites animation
    - Zelda style battle system
    - Better mapping editor
    - Networking support

All above I mentions can be found with plugin out there, but I prefer official supports, easy config via friendly U.I.

dbchest likes this.
  4. Stanley

Stanley Nobody, Joystrike Scientist Veteran

First Language:
    Malay, Lotudian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    We've got default turn based for front view and sideview. Next, default action battle system!

Frogboy likes this.
  5. Zizka

Zizka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Pretty good suggestions, Mr.Right! A Zelda style battle system would be neat.

6. Lornsteyn

Lornsteyn Sleepy Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    The next RPG Maker hm...
    -Sideview Battle
    -Unique RTP (The MV was a bit disappointing)
    -More sprites (especially behavior and down Poses)

7. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Ssshhh... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would like to see:
    A built in image editor (like GIMP but not as powerful) for parallax mapping in editor.
    Native support for layers for parallax mapping.
    The ability to turn on/off front view/side view battle.
    Native options for CTB / ATB systems, and even ABS. All with the aforementioned ability to turn on and off.
    Mode 7 even if it was just for cutscenes or vehicle travel.
    Resolution settings in editor without the need for plugins.
    Native 8 directional movement.
    Pixel movement and collision detection.
    Dynamic tileset sizes. ie one map is 48x48 and another is 32x32.
    Jump as a button command (like dash) without the need for a common event.
    Multiple font options within the editor.
    Better movie support.

That's all I can think of right now.

8. animaksiat

animaksiat RMMV learner Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    im still new in here so i wont asked much, but i would really love to see they implement ABS... so we can make Y's like games:kaoluv:

so far i know, we only have Quasi's ABS to make it happen... :kaosigh:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  9. Lantiz

Lantiz Biterkid Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    • Pixel based event placement and size;
      • Even more useful along with the suggestion bellow.
    • Custom object (character) placement via editor;
      • I think this would be really useful for plugins, like action battle systems or projectiles.
    • Possibility to move using speed and angle (rotation);
    • Input confingurations via editor;
    • Sprite configurations:
      • Create a sprite editor similar to the animations one;
      • The character sprites are no longer a reference for the image files, instead they are reference for the sprite object in the database;
      • If the sprite has an animation, the animation will always be playing on the character (for the current sprite set on the character);
      • Have a walking sprite object with animation by default, so people that are not familiar with this or dont want to use dont need to bother;
      • Add the command to change sprite;
      • This would make really easy to add custom emotions and other stuff, like skill animations, using weapons or tools, idle animation... the list goes on.
    • Collision system for objects;
      • At least a square based, bounding boxes.
      • If added the sprite configuration, this could be set on the sprite object;
    • Configure dialog and choice windows:
      • Define width, lines and location;
    There's probably more, but I need to go out for lunch (at work :x).

Also, I know these are very unlikely to be, RPG Maker is meant to be easy and friendly for people who are not familiar with game development. We need to keep that in mind.

EDIT: A more reliable comment bellow.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  10. Applesaws

Applesaws Apple Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If the programs going to continue to exist it's going to have to do some great stuff. In, say, 5-10 years most people will be reluctant to drop 100$ for something that isn't more advanced than previous RPG Makers (the jump will have to be bigger than the one from Ace to MV in terms of advancements).

-Better map editor (take notes from TileD)
    -Let us natively change the grid size (idc if all sizes don't provide tilesets; in fact I wouldn't even care if the next RPG Maker didn't come with default art assets at all).
    -SPELL CHECK
    -TEXT ALIGNMENT (right, center, left)
    -REDO BUTTON
    -Pixel movement/collision
    -Natively allow us to easily mess with windows and sizes for in-game menus (like you could drag and move around and shrink aspects of a scene like the menu like you would a browser window)
    -More customization options for the editor itself (in 2017 I'm sitting here not able to redock the pallates where I want)
    -Easy support for sprite animations (like an easy to implement with a button for not just idle animations but like, say, I make a cutscene I would like to be able to assign an animation to x and have the sprite show it like a clapping animation or something....that made no sense sorry)
    -Native support for parallax mapping
    -3D support (everyone says it wouldn't work but look up Smile RPG Builder or something like that. It is an easy 3D-esque RPG Maker thats a lot like MV except....3D and it isn't as advanced in the other features yet. And it can also do 2D. And it has a model generator I'm pretty sure). At least have 2.5D (the player gets smaller away from the camera and the dev can make pseudo or prerendered 3d maps)
    -Less focus on assets that come with the program (like generators and stuff) and more focus on actual features. I'm kinda bias since I can make my own art decently so that stuff is useless to me plus I hate games that use default stuff. But this is about my dream RPG Maker lol.
    -Native support for stuff like the dragonbones animations as battlers plugin and let us use it for sprites, events, ect.

A lot of this is done with plugins already but if it was natively built in it would be better imo...especially since you woudn't run into the bad risk of "I have so many plugins and some are conflicting with each other".

Disclaimer: Not all of these things need to be or probably should be in the same program these are just things that would independently make the next RM great. Though some of the things I listed like the redo button should have done been in a RM Maker like a decade ago.

11. Lantiz

Lantiz Biterkid Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I just wanted to point out the title of the thread: "Your dreams". It's a bit sad that most of it can't really be.

I think there are great ideas, but don't forget about this:
    "perfect for beginners yet powerful enough for experts" (source: http://www.rpgmakerweb.com).
    I mean: it's perfect for beginners, not for experts. For experts it's meant to be just enough.

12. vico

vico Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think an extension system for the editor (to create "companions" for plugins) would be enough in next updates.

13. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Make most if not all Yanfly's QoL plugin as default script. I can't think of why some essential plugins need to be separated

14. FleshToDust

FleshToDust Pixel Beginnings Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  15. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    1. Ability to add in "Critical Hit Multiplier". I can't tell you how many times I've wished I could increase Critical Hit Damage with a buff.
    2. Ability to flash an event without having to create an animation in the Database to do it. Seriously, why was this ever removed from the program? It was in RPG Maker 2000... been missing for a while. Not sure why we've lost features.
    3. Fixing the "Dual Wield" option in VX Ace and MV... I want it fixed for the next version where you can equip either a shield or a second weapon.
    4. More detailed stats in shops. Seriously, not sure why this feature ever went missing either. Currently, it tells you one stat and one stat only. Weapons have more Attack are shown as "better" regardless of what other features they have. Armors that have more Defense are shown as "better" regardless of what other features they have. No clue why it's designed this way, but it's silly, considering we work in a genre of gaming that is not a shooter and all stats are relevant and not just "how much damage I can output" and "how much of a hit I can take". Especially when we modify stats to be able to be used in Damage Formulas. How can I tell if a particular piece of equipment has a good Magic Defense stat? Equip it. That's how. The only way. This is some straight-up terrible design.
    5. I'd like a separate description box to provide other useful information to the player. If a piece of equipment protects you from Poison at 30%, I don't like having to waste my one and only description box to break the fourth wall to tell the player that it's useful. Descriptions should be used for Flavor Text. We need a separate "Effects" box to allow devs to add in this information for combat purposes.
    6. The ability to add Features to Characters or Classes via events. Why do we have to create entirely new characters, entirely new classes, just to add a Feature? Or, why do we have to go get a plugin for this? I'd like to be able to have players earn "Features" in some games, because it would add variety to a lot of games. It would also allow you to add in things like Fallout Perks, or give the ability to Level Up Classes and get new passive Unlocks for them.
    7. More robust RTP. I'm talking about battlers. Not a single RPG Maker to date has had a straight up "Wolf" battler. Why not? It'd be nice to get some more standard wildlife in there. Boars, Bears, Wolves, Birds of some description that aren't massive monsters, maybe some lizards, couple wildcats, maybe a Dinosaur or two? I wouldn't mind paying extra for a maker that had a more robust RTP with more options for monsters.
    8. I'd like the ability to "Mirror" images in the Battle Animations. Namely, not just rotate them, but flip them as well. This would add versatility to the editor that is sorely missing.
    9. It'd be nice if the new RTP came with a Ship Tileset. You know, a very often requested resource, even on these forums...
    10. I'd like the ability to once again "flip the side" of a text box for where the character bust appears. I, personally, like swapping them sides in a conversation to indicate that they are talking to each other. It's a bit more immersive than every single face appearing on the same side. RPG Maker 2000 had that ability, you could put the face on the left or the right side when displaying dialogue. I liked it. I used it a lot. I wish it were back.
    11. While we're talking about character busts... I'd also like a new feature for the Character Generator that gives the dev the ability to generate an "emotion sheet" for a character without having to edit an existing sheet 8+ times via save and load.
    12. I'd also like to go back to character sprites that are 1.5 tiles high. I don't really enjoy the "squashed" look of fitting a character into a tile. The detail is staggeringly absent in such small sprites, and it'd be nice to give our resident artists more wiggle room to ply their trade. Plus, then we'd finally have a use for 2 tile high doors.
    13. I'd like a "fog of war" option like you used to see in old Ultima games. I don't know why, but I really liked that. You could only see what your character could see, doors obscured contents inside a room, and etcetera. I just like that. I wish there were a way to do it in RPG Maker that didn't essentially require rewriting most of the program via Script/Plugin. You could maybe even add in a stat for "how far you can see" in the Fog of War.
    14. The ability to "paint shadows". I know, we can kind of do it, but they're all squares, and it looks weird in a lot of places. I'd like the ability to use different shapes of shadows at the very least in order to simulate more depth or less depth, or just a more believable world. Maybe even the ability to determine "how dark" the shadows should even be.
    15. Detailed stat pages. Why doesn't the player have access to see all the other stats being used? Including whether or not they are strong/weak to specific elements? I mean, Yanfly's plugin is great for seeing this stuff, but I think it should be Standard, especially if the maker is tracking these other misc. stats anyway. I'd like the ability to turn on or off which of these stats are displayed in our "stats" page.
    16. Ability to target allies with harmful spells and the ability to target enemies with helpful spells. I don't know why I want this, but I think it might make some instances of combat more interesting (like if being struck removes a state like Sleep). Maybe even giving you the ability to have a Skill like "Dispel", which removes all magical effects from whomever it hits (buffs and debuffs).
    17. "Steal" Command as a Feature. You could slap it onto a character, each enemy has a new box under them for what can be stolen (I'd settle for one item, but two would probably be optimal) and then you could select who you steal from. Assign a percentage chance to these items you can steal, and maybe you can slap a base percentage bonus to Steal from the Features box... or through the use items/equipment. So many RPGs have a "Steal" command that I'm honestly surprised it's never been coded as "Standard" in an RPG Maker engine, and they continue to make it difficult to implement one (troop commands... common events... plugins..... meh).

That's my short list. I want a lot more stuff than just that.

EDIT: Almost forgot. I'd like the ability to toggle sprint via Event Commands, Item Features, Weapon Features, Armor Features, character Features... just in Features in general. I'd like the ability to make "Sprint" an option the player doesn't have access to, except when I want them to have it. I don't want it just "on" or just "off". I want to be able to play with it more as a dev and have the player make meaningful CHOICES about whether or not they should use sprint. Think "Sprint Shoes" from Final Fantasy 6. Best implementation of Sprint I've ever seen. You sacrifice an Accessory Slot to move faster. I want to be able to do that. We currently can't without plugins.

Applesaws and Frogboy like this.
  16. Applesaws

Applesaws Apple Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    HONESTLY how is this not a built in feature

17. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Here's what I want for the next RPG Maker which should be in 2019 or 2020 "as it's usually 3-5 years from release"

- Customizable Tile sizes PER LAYER.
    - Autotile builder "google Game Maker Studio 2 or Tiled Autotile creation"
    - Tile animation builder
    - No Limit to tileset size
    - Get rid of the awful VX style mapping "yes, it's awful"
    - Asset layer for maps " think of just sprites for decorations" *this layer should not be fixed to a grid
    - Fog layer
    - Scrolling background layer

- RPG Builder Project *This is a prebuilt project for creating RPGs
    - Open Project *This only has the tools of the maker itself, the user would have to program the game functions

You can still have a database and code functions to access the database *in traditional RPG Maker fashion but with an open project a user may not need the database and just program everything from scratch and access those custom functions with code instead of a prebuilt database. A good option would be at the point of project creation ask if they want to use the database and have a disclaimer of what it is and selection No or Off will disable that feature and a little tooltip will popup if you hover the button and the button would just be greyed out.

Obviously don't get rid of your event editor as that's still a useful feature regardless of what the next maker will be, calling Open Game Maker a name ^O^

I would like to see native compilation if desktop is chosen for an export, I would also love to see Lua as a scripting option or create your own scripting language *I have no problem with Engine only scripting languages IF they are done well. GML has come a loooong way and is very fast these days, would even say as fast as lua :D

Didn't Rm2k3 or even XP have a steal feature? I swear it was easy to add.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  18. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just curious. How is it awful? Personally, I like the tile mapping, the layers, and the way events work. I can't see it being done in any other more "user friendly" way.

I'm confused here. Do you want the asset layer for maps (which already exists as events), or do you want a "grid free" based mapping system? I'm not saying it would be bad, but it would make the program a lot less "user friendly" for most of its users. I can't draw pixel perfect. Most people can't. Not without wasting a vast amount of time to do so. A system that isn't limited to a grid, but requires objects and items to be placed "by hand" or through some clunky X,Y Coordinate option... Well, it increases the amount of time and effort it takes to map anything by roughly 5x.

I think it would be better if this were a feature you could toggle. I, for one, don't want to try to place a freakin' door by hand. I don't want to place a freakin' table by hand (and discover there's not enough room for my PC to pass through, so I get to reset it, trying to get it perfectly placed in order to allow the PC through).

You're just asking for a "Fog" option to be added to the already existing "Set Weather Effect" option in the engine? I could've sworn there was already an option to have Fog on the screen in MV... Though, without being able to remember where I saw it, I'm probably mistaken. It'd probably be nice to be able to include more "weather effects" with the engine. Especially if we could add more to the existing list the same way we can with tilesets and character sets and anything else that's customizable.

Not sure how you mean this. The feature itself already exists in MV. Right click a map, set the Parallax Background to whatever you want (can even add your own backgrounds to be scrolled into this menu), then set how you want it to scroll.

Or... do you mean that it scrolls as you walk, in like a slower pace? You should probably explain more.

Exists as the "default" setting of the maker, one need only make maps and do eventing. Unless you're asking for an already existing RPG to be created upon hitting the "New Project" setting. If so, I'm going to disagree with you wanting this, as it'll make "Asset Flip" games in the engine too easy to make (much easier than it already is, in fact), and further drag the name of the Maker through the mud on Steam and other associated sites.

I rather like this idea, but not as you describe it. It would nice to have an option for "Create Blank Project" and you fill in everything yourself. Though, the existing workaround really isn't bad. Open Database, change all options to default of 1, it deletes the data, change the options back to however much you need, it adds all the blank slots in.

As for programming the way you're talking... as in... from scratch... without the use of a user-friendly Database (which honestly prevents people from having to design their own database and tables from scratch, with code)... I'd like to direct you to learning C++ or any other programming language. That's probably more in line with what you're looking for from an "RPG Maker Program". Build an engine from scratch is what it sounds like you want to do. You can already do that. Don't need to buy RPG Maker to do it.

Nope! You had to code "Steal" by hand into every single Troop Condition box. Had to create the "Steal" skill, link it to a Common Event, call the common event in Combat when it was used, roll the appropriate variable, disable use of it again if you'd already stolen, give an item in the middle of combat if you succeeded... It's a mess. Never once been implemented as a "default feature" in any of the RPG Maker programs that I've seen (or own, and I own all the ones they've released on Steam). It's a feature that's oddly missing, which I hope the next version fixes. I'd like to see it as a "default" feature a dev can decide to use or not to use.

Especially if you could program it to steal specific things like currency, healing items, weapons, armors, whatever. I'd like it to be versatile, but first I'd just like to have a basic option exist.

19. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @Tai_MT
    The open game project is meant for people who want to create a game maybe in a different genre, or a different type of RPG say a a-rpg which RPG Maker really fails at, and there have been excellent attempts at doing it however before any good scripts are even 25% done the next maker is released. The open project is actually a hint at kadokawa in creating 1 good engine but put RPG Maker going forward as a framework.

A lot of things will need to be re-imagined, for example the way events work now may not be in the best interest for other game types so actually having a RPG-Event layer in the level editor which then works like the traditional RPG Maker Events makes more sense "to me" anyway.

Now in my previous post I said to go google GMS2 (game maker studio 2) for what they've done to their level editor, it's a massive difference from 1.4 and previous versions of GM. I didn't want to directly link to other engines because rules...

Having the RPG side of things leaves more opportunities for what you could do, because the engine itself is now open ala Game Maker, Unity, etc so you then only have to worry about the coding of the game. The RPG Maker Event coding could turn into visual scripting as that's a hot topic in Game Development right now for some reason.

Just my 2 cents.

20. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So, you're asking for IG Maker and RPG Maker to be combined into the same program? Can't say I'd ever use that, as I like the specialization of "RPG" games with RPG Maker. Though, it might be kind of cool to be able to make ARPGs in it. Though, this comes from an ignorant position of not knowing whether or not that could be done (or done well) in IG Maker. I assume it could be done in IG Maker as the Product Page has screenshots of what look like "Zelda" type maps and gameplay. However, I just don't have the program, so I don't know anything about it for certain. Though, when you create Game Creation Engines, you sort of need to specialize them, otherwise it muddies the waters and makes design within the engine more difficult. Less user friendly.

Though, I can understand the desire for an "all purpose" game maker. Especially if a person has actual programming experience.

Sorry, I wasn't going to bother googling something you could've described without mentioning another engine (you could've described upgrading a feature or including one without ever mentioning the engine if you'd wanted to). Especially when you were using it to talk about an In-Engine Autotile Builder. Which, would be nice. It'd be nice to have SAKAN and MADO and all the other "add on" type programs added to RPG Maker as default, so we didn't have to spend extra money buying them separately.

So... just curious here. But, if those engines already do what you want them to do... why aren't you just using those? Why ask for RPG Maker to follow those engines? Just going by screenshots and such, it looks like they have a higher "barrier to entry" than RPG Maker, which means if RPG Maker made the changes you're asking for, sales on the new engine would likely go down instead of up (as most people don't have the time or ambition to learn a coding language, myself included). I guess.... I don't get it?

I mean, it doesn't sound like you're asking for anything to be new or improved to the RPG Maker program itself. It sounds like you just want a completely new program with some light RPG Maker features. Part of it also sounds like an advertisement for another program "Make the next RPG Maker like this other Engine with all these features that I want and use already!". I'm just confused here, because if a different Engine already does everything you want RPG Maker to do, with a few minor exceptions, why not just leave feedback for that developer to add in the few minor things that are missing instead of coming to this engine and asking for massive overhauls that would turn the existing "RPG Maker" engine (or any iteration thereof) into a completely different program that's unspecialized in any way?

I just don't understand, I guess?