Your dreams on the next RPG Maker(RMMV updates or brand new ones)

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by DoubleX, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    While I agree that generalizing RPG Maker into a an all-in-one game engine might not be a good idea, I would really like to see a new IG Maker that takes everything relevant it can from RPG Maker (database, mapping, eventing, plug-in manager etc) and then rework the code to work well for action oriented games such as platformers by implementing some basic physics and good collision detection. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

vico and Tai_MT like this.
  2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, simply no
    Anything but that, tilesets have to be limited.

I have no problem with added options or slightly increased tileset sizes, but handling the technical disadvantages and problems of unlimited tilesets just because some developers are too lazy to assemble dedicated tilesets based on map theme?
    I don't think so....

Jhale M., kaukusaki and dbchest like this.
  3. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'd like to see procedural map generation features in the editor. Sort of like the dungeon generator but more flexible.

Jhale M., kaukusaki and Frogboy like this.
  4. CleanWater

CleanWater Independent Developer Veteran

First Language:
    PT-BR
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I would love to see an isometric RPG Maker someday. A re-release of Sim RPG Maker would be great too! :biggrin:

But for now, the only thing I want is to find a way to retrieve the 1.11 installer of RPG Maker 2003 ASAP! :|

5. Sauteed_Onion

Sauteed_Onion Mmm Tasty Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think the 3D labyrinth plug in that is being tossed around right now kind of hits my dreams for the RMMV software. Another idea @aethon mentioned being an isometric view.

CleanWater, aethon and Frogboy like this.
  6. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Isometric view would be awesome!

Jello92, CleanWater and Sauteed_Onion like this.
  7. jayray

jayray Jay Ray Games and Art Design- Oklahoma City, OK Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    RMXP style tilesets for A5, B, C, D, and E - no more limited tilesets -

Or if you HAVE to be bound by a limit, make the tileset sizes much bigger, like 384x3840 for a5, and 768 by 3840 for the B, C, D and E. This would allow for 16x80 of the 48x48 tiles, or 1280 tiles per sheet for B,C,D, and E and 640 1st layer floor items in addition to the wide range of autotiles you already have. Those I feel are fine, for a tileset to have that many autotiles.

--------------------
    Yanfly's Grid Free Doodads added directly into the editor! Large and small buildings, pre-fabs, and more set into the editor, visible in the same map that we would use for regions.

--------------------
    An entirely different version of RPG Maker specifically for Isometric. Don't try to add it to the base game, but give it a choice, where you can choose the orthographic or the isometric, OR... when creating a new project, being able to choose between isometric or orthographic, and change the editor depending on the choice.

--------------------
    Full MP3 and JPG support

--------------------
    Centered Text, aligned text, set up the message editor with something like a TinyMCE plugin, where what you see is what you get, allowing for CSS styling, HTML styling and more.

--------------------
    ABS option and Tactical Option, to be added to the Front view option OR the side view option, for the Battle Engines...

--------------------
    Heightmaps? allowing the game to run on a 2.5d plane with heightmaps that distort your ground tiles and allow for characters to climb hills, or fall off cliffs and if the heightmap is too much of a difference between tiles on the map? Passability factor.

--------------------
    Full Character Creator - Not just SV, walk, damage, and faces, but busts and paperdolls as well! A menu databaser that allows you to choose whether or not a face is shown, or a bust, or a paperdoll, or a walking sprite!

--------------------
    Map cell seamless transition: being able to (by default) determine what map goes to the north, south, east and west of the map currently being edited, and if the player goes towards the border of a map, slowly scroll in the next map.

--------------------

Particle emitters? Shadow emitters? Take away the shadow blocks, and allow light sources to 'cast shadows', allow walls to block light sources, allow lights to flicker, and maybe allow them to move? stationary lights vs dynamic lighting.
    --------------------

3d FPS even in blocky form. You did in in RPG Maker 3 for PS2 and PS3 - recreate this idea with a 3d character creator, the ability to create 3d maps, allow the import of items like .x models for the more advanced game creators, and with a large assortment of pre-fabbed items for the new guy. Allow textures to be changed for the items assigned (UV mapping) and have a way to deploy that game.

--------------------
    An autotile generator. Using 24 to 36 different tilemasks, allow someone to take 2 48x48 graphics, and create an autotile through the editor, and then apply it to a tileset.

--------------------
    1,999 map cap - I know it would seem that it's never possible to go this high, but some game creators like to use maps as makeshift pseudo-scenes, and many multiple versions of maps. Others like the big open-scale idea of exploration RPGs. Still others would like to see their DLC items fit snugly within the framework of an already created system where their players can simply download and insert the .json files in their directory for an instant update to their game.

--------------------
    multiple parallaxes, multiple fogs, in the editor, with maybe a universal light source (see my comment about light emitters.

JPG as parallax, (would greatly reduce parallaxing memory space)
    --------------------

I know that very few of my ideas might ever make it to the final design of the next RPG Maker, but you wanted my dreams, there they are.

JoelMarler and Jello92 like this.
  8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A lot of things have been said on other places on why unlimited tilesets and 3D are very bad ideas, so I only comment on MP3 and JPG.

1) MP3 is NOT free for developers, it is only free for people to hear and use under very specific conditions. Including an MP3 Encoder or even only a player into a commercial project will require either Degica or YOU, as the game developers, to pay fees for that. Those fees alone would double the current price for the Makers at minimum.

2) JPG is one of the worst formats for developing, because it does not support transparency and has a few other problems.

3) using JPG for parallaxes will reduced the parallax memory requirements by exactly nothing.
    It might reduce the compressed HDD storage size (and I wouldn't even bet on that after transparency info is added), but you can't work compressed data in memory.
    Try saving your pictures as BMP - that has no compression and shows you how much memory is needed for working on that picture in memory, no matter how good the compression of the file on the HDD is.
    That will also tell you why parallax mapping needs so much memory space...

Jhale M. likes this.
  9. jayray

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't know about that as much, I guess... If I save a 256 color indexed JPG, vs a 256 color indexed PNG, I can see a huge file difference... I was just going off that huge file difference to see if it'd help. Also, JPG for smaller things like backgrounds for menus and more shouldn't REALLY be that bad as far as memory.

And yes, I'd like 3d... don't tell me that it'd be a nightmare for mobile support, as the mobile games now pooping out by indy developers raise the poly count bar higher and higher. I know you're not telling me that we still can't get a PC editor for a game that came out 15+ years ago?

And yes, In retrospect, reading the previous threads, I think maybe unlimited tiles is bad, but as was also stated, there's still a LOT of room to allow for a larger tileset size... dig into it a bit, and maybe... I dunno, and an F and G tileset page for overtiles too!

Jhale M. and Sauteed_Onion like this.
  10. jayray

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    OMG!!! New Dream!!!!

okay, so we can't do 3d in the game, it would be too hard and memory exhaustive... BUT!!!!

I have an idea on how to create unlimited characters, their busts, and all poses, isometric, orthographic of literally thousands of characters.
    You already supplied a solution with Comipo Manga Maker! Couldn't this be used to generate sprites in all the base poses needed, busts and faces? Imagine being able to post your character the way you want, easily, simply, and generating a png file of the finished character, complete with a full set of sprites (and if need be, chibi/nonchibi variations? You could change it from being a MANGA maker to a RM maker character utility that uses 3d models to generate 2d sprites! All we would need to do is change the outfits a bit with the characters, from that modern Manga school stuff, to a fantasy based range of different items, and with a little cell-shading here, a little rotoscoping there, we have characters for any given scenario.

Sauteed_Onion likes this.
  11. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, you have a large difference - as the file size on the harddrive, but no where else.

Here is something that might explain the difference. Check the City maps available for automobile driver. The companies printing them have developed extremely tricky ways to fold the maps into small packages, so that a lot of them could be stored into the small storage compartments on regular automobiles.
    However, to read them and to use them for finding an adress, you need to unfold them and they become really large and cumbersome, especially if you try that while sitting in the car.

It's the same difference with storing a picture on the harddrive (filesize) as opposed to working with it (memory size). No matter how tricky you get in reducing the storage/file size, it does nothing for the required size in memory when working with it.

12. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I had the Japanese version when it came out and used an unofficial translation at the time as no English version existed yet.
    The coding system or lack there of was pretty limited and was difficult to do just about anything.
    The mapping system is still the best mapping system enterbrain has released to date, and if they actually added a rm-like database and event system and possibly some scripting capabilities it would have been a decent system to use. I do remember the XNA feature that didn't work too well and had issues.

I DID like the fact you could use a spritesheet and animate your sprites how you wanted, and having an option for standard rm-like charsets would be useful for those that simply just use the standard 2-frame animation.

I would like to see a tileset per layer option, for example you can have an outdoors tileset but wouldn't have to include building or street tiles and could simply use building or city tiles on another layer. Just something I found useful in Game Maker Studio-2 and TileD.

Frogboy likes this.
  13. SOC

SOC "God is my Judge" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Base support for sideview ATB gauge battle system.
    Continued expansion of the character generator, with much more intuitive support for adding more resources to it. (The upgrade from VX Ace's to MV's was fantastic, and we need the same equivalent upgrade from MV to the next)
    Yanfly personally being on the development team so a lot of their plugins are just baseline features.
    VX Ace quality RTP with regular releases of extra DLC assets that perfectly match and fit in with the base RTP.
    More intuitive Plugin Manager that makes grouping, sorting, and updating each plugin easier and more streamlined.
    Continued amazing quality official RPG Maker forums support that we currently have.
    Continued multi-platform deployment support, with overall polish added to it.
    Keeping the Resource Manager.
    Continued amazing quality RTP music as XP's, VX Ace's and MV's are.

I don't really care about any of those nearly as much as I care for base support for sideview ATB gauge. I'd sacrifice everything else just for that one feature alone.

14. Starmage

Starmage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    FIlipino
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This can sound too ambitious but, I would love a new 3D RPG maker that has built in 3D model generator, Battle system types like RTAB or ABS. :D That would be really wonderful! xD

Jhale M. likes this.
  15. Requiem

Requiem Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    customizable hotkeys or just hotkeys period.

16. peq42_

peq42_ Yeet Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese(BR)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would like a more complete engine, which make it easier to create games that not RPG.

To me it would be better if i was able to buy this "default" engine, which would be similar to others like game maker or construct, which simplify most things yet allowing many others, and (if necessary) buy/download extra modules(That could be made by the community or developer themselves) for specific game types, like RPG, shooter, visual novel,etc

Frogboy likes this.
  17. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    With Pixel MV coming out likely in the next month or so based on the number of tweets that have been coming out, this is what I'd like to see in MV Plus or RPG Maker YZ(or whatever you guys decide to call it).
    - Proper Layers, the auto layers in MV are a mess...
    -- I think 4 main layers and a details layer for flowers, pebbles, small stuff (grid would be 1x1 or a very small grid like 4x4 or 8x8) should be enough
    - Let the user choose a tile size, I think it's per canvas on Pixel MV based on some screenshots or was it the entire game? Anyways. custom tile-sizes would go long way as 48x48 is weird.. Just follow the normal pattern, 8x8->16x16->32x32->64x64 etc.
    - Modernize the event page (it's been the same since RM2K with little updates since then)
    - Include Pixel Movement by default or give it an option.
    - Customizable collision boxes (square or circle, don't want to get crazy...)
    - Bring over the spritesheet animation over from Pixel MV (I'm sorry but 2 frame animation is not even close to enough for the current resolutions MV handles)
    - The auto tiling system in Pixel MV looks pretty nice, have a auto-tile builder and let the user create their own auto-tiles. GM does this and it works out amazingly well! Honestly the room editor is what I'd call almost perfect!
    - Time to bring Partcles over to RPG Maker, or even bring over the particle system Pixel is using.

Since the next release is liking just going to be a Plus/Ace release I don't expect any changes to the room editor, but 10 years of backlash over a system that clearly not a lot of people like should count for something... There's people who won't go to MV because the mapping system is pretty bad which is why some just happily stay on RMXP which to this day had the best RM level editor to date, IGM and Pixel Game Maker have surpassed XPs so it'd make sense to just copy it over.

18. evmaster

evmaster Think Outside the Box Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What is Pixel MV? I did a search on the forum and on Youtube and cannot find out about it.

Jhale M. and Sauteed_Onion like this.
  19. Sauteed_Onion

Sauteed_Onion Mmm Tasty Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  20. Phoenixsylph

Phoenixsylph =w= just chillin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Compatible for more frames, preferably. Both walking, battle, enemies. It's so limited it almost forces you to use the default sprites. It's such a pain if you are making your own that are larger and you want smooth animation/aka more frames

Jhale M., Rukiri and Sauteed_Onion like this.