Your dreams on the next RPG Maker(RMMV updates or brand new ones)

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by DoubleX, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Nivlacart

Nivlacart I just opened an art shop 11/6 :D Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I find it easier to create custom UI with engines like Game Maker and Construct2 than RPG Maker.
    I understand that RPG Maker was made for a specific purpose but learning code before being able to even figure out which functions belongs to which menu really can be overwhelming for newbies, and many would rather spend the time to learn the RPG functions itself and churn out a game even if the UI is the same as any RPG Maker default game out there.

I'd really like it if there was a drag and drop interface for menus, etc.
    Being able to upload images and give them functions to make them part of the UI.

2. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Nivlacart
    I second the need for more UI customization. That is definitely a major hole that needs filled.

3. consolcwby

consolcwby (2015: afk...) 2018: BAK! :P Veteran

Somewhere the East Coast of the USA... i think...
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This. I would also like to see custom Windows as well, being able to define their purpose within the editor. Much like creating animations.

Sauteed_Onion likes this.
  4. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I think RM should move towards scenes similar to Godot, Unity, or any modern 2D/3D engine for the simple reason as stated above.
    Take Godot's approach, everything is a scene and can be used as a node (a little complex for the average rm user but it's not that hard to wrap your head around... or is it?)

This would allow for the user to design their menus, text boxes exactly how they want them without having to touch code, I think this is what the Luna engine accomplished but I never used to so won't comment much else about it.

And since RM always wants to be user friendly, this is exactly the reason why RM needs to move to scenes!
    But, calling a tilemap object would then allow you to just map like normal if you want the scene to be a normal RM map.

I also think it's time RM used atlases and have a sprite animation system, it doesn't have to be complex just the ability to control the frame time as well as no frame limit.

I would hope for a particle effects editor, I would go in depth with this one or you'll just have users going back to code for it if it ends up being useless... If the Pixel Game Maker MVs particle effects editor is any good just have it ported to the next rpg maker or even MV (please?).

I don't expect RM to go this complex with components (gui, tilemap, particle fx, etc)
    but this does explain what I'm talking about.
    https://www.defold.com/manuals/graphics/

5. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Under the hood, it already is. It's just all hard-coded so the only way to change anything is with scripts ... which often times just hard-codes a single scene in a different way.

6. Rukiri

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I'm aware of that, what I'm saying is they should be blank slates from the start in editor.

I would like to see RPG Maker evolve into a more open engine and have templates for RPGs, platformers, etc. I don't want rpg maker become game maker but maybe along the lines of construct(as that's a bit more user friendly even more so than rpg maker to a degree).

Would like to see Luajit be the next scripting language, Luajit is faster than javascript (on my machine anyway) I'm also more of a fan of Lua anyway than javascript.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Frogboy likes this.
  7. Frogboy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Rukiri
    I think this was primarily what I and the others were saying. I don't see them moving away from gearing the main engine towards RPGs or switching from JavaScript but making the scenes customizable from the editor would be a very welcome addition in the next version.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  8. Rukiri

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Even that would be an improvement!

I'm really surprised they haven't added any gui layer functionality (to the editor), where you can design your text boxes, menus, etc.
    Even if they took the Game Maker route for scenes that would be very much welcomed!

consolcwby and Frogboy like this.
  9. CrowStorm

CrowStorm Check my résumé, your residence is residue Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    For years and years I've fantasized about an RPG Maker that would strongly support blocky super-deformed models walking around awkwardly on gorgeous prerendered backgrounds (the latter would come with the engine, at least a large supply of them, the former would have a generator a la MV). Essentially, I want, as I have always wanted, an FF7 Maker.

After about 20 years of wanting it I've realized it ain't gonna happen : )

Mordridakon, CleanWater and jonthefox like this.
  10. Rukiri

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    It seems MV is an engine that will probably stay for some time, however if they ever get to 2.0 I would like to see a few things.

1.) GET RID OF THE GAWD AWFUL MAPPING SYSTEM! Who are they polling for these features? I know tons of users in Japan/Asia that HATE the mapping system! Bring back the XP style system and add another layer or go where every other 2d mapping system is going, an auto tile system and a collection of tiles with no limit to layers AND layers can have different tile size properties or used as an asset "beautifying" layer.

2.) HTML5/Web is a mistake any anyone serious will tell you that, C#/Mono is pretty much a standard for game development outside of C++ and C# isn't a difficult language to learn at all... But as I said earlier, Lua is very popular amongst game developers as a scripting language.

However based on RPG Makers schedule we're probably due within a year or so for the next release so...
    Please for the love of all that is holy stop forcing vx mapping :ysad::kaocry:

Corona~! likes this.
  11. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Reasons for HTML5 being a mistake? I'm not defending it. I'm actually interested in hearing opinions on this. Is it a flexibility issue or other?

12. Corona~!

Corona~! Stardust Crusader Member

Living in the past... the rent's cheaper there.
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    SO VERY MUCH THIS! 3 DIRECTLY AND SEPARATELY EDITABLE LAYERS MINIMUM (no, the Event layer doesn't count) to place whatever the heck we want on!

And while they're at it, bring back the way Star Passability USED to work with set priorities! Even the tiny RTPeople can get their heads cut off if they're one tile below a Star Tile, and applying the "fix" plugin just makes it so characters standing on Star Tiles placed one tile below Star Tiles have their head show above the higher Star Tile.

Another thing I'd like would be an easy way to disable placing the stupid automatic block shadows that come with building autotiles. They could remove the shadow feature entirely for all I care. You could literally accomplish the same thing with a half-shadow tile graphic. I know they can be removed freely with that Shadow Pen tool, but I don't want them added in the first place.

Apart from that, I think the only other thing I'd really want is to be able to assign full tile graphics for each piece of an autotile, because making inner and outher corners in only half a tile can be really limiting and doesn't always produce a smooth result.

... well, I also wouldn't mind seeing pixel-based (or at least quarter-tile) 8-directional movement being a native feature so there wouldn't be so many plugins that don't account for either, but I'd consider that pennies on the dollar to those mapping fixes.

13. L.W. Flouisa

L.W. Flouisa NumeroHex Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Should I just create a new thread for this, or answer here?

14. Redeye

Redeye Chronicles Creator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    They need to seriously triple the amount of assets that the next engine comes with. At least 200 enemy graphics. Its been nearly two decades and we still dont have a simple Wolf battler or any sort of animal battlers. The devs really need to stop being lazy about these sorts of things if they ever want their RTP to stop being stigmatized. More sprites, especially monster sprites, way more icons, way more animations, way way way more music.

Built-in action sequence editor. Enough said.

Way way way more skill/item/state features. Lifesteal, Critical Hit Multiplier, DoT Damage Formulas, State Duration Extensions, Curing States based off a number, built-in state categories, HP costs, Passive skills, Skill costs based off of a formula, Cooldowns, Warmups, More Buff stacks, Extended Descriptions, HP Shields, Bonus MP, Instant Cast, etc.

More generator parts, allow us to make busts, make adding new graphics to the generator more intuitive, stop using chibi sprites (or at least make it an option between tall and chibi).

Allow us to make our own parameters and determine what they do. Allow us to make our own skill resources, ie if I wanted to make a second MP bar for special skills or a brand new system.

Options for ATB and CTB battle systems, and change the mechanics accordingly. If I switch to ATB, state durations should be based on seconds, and so on. For ATB, Cast Times and Interrupts should be available features.

A lot of people already proposed Grid-free doodads, so I'll echo that here.

Less blocky autotiles in general. Or at least give us some diagonal addons somewhere in the tileset.

I would actually love it if they replaced the enemy hue slider with an actual color editor so I can change the color of individual parts of the graphic.

15. Rukiri

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Let's break down what a RPG Actually is and needs...
    - A Database to to store Actors, Items, Classes, Enemies, Common Events, etc... "This can stay the same"
    - Party Management, easily handled thru the change actor commands but in my RPG Kit I simple just call add_party_member or remove_party_member.
    - Battles (Be it turn based, active based, or even map based)
    - Quest System: The fact this is not in by default saddens me...
    - Dialogue Branching: Actually, keep doing what your doing RM Devs this was nailed!

Honestly that's really it for a RPG in terms of data, the visual aspect is the maps, menus, etc which is easy to manage.

But I think it's time to move away from a few things, I'm gonna use defold here as an example.
    [​IMG]

The UI is one of the first things that has to change, while a dark them was brought to MV it's very cartoony and sadly it's a huge turn off to many people as it really looks like a toy not a tool. RM2000-Ace were really clean and prof looking! MV looks like a kid designed it.

The next thing to change is the programming language, here me out here by changing to Haxe you can essentially still use JavaScript but you could also choose to use Python, or even C#! I would prefer lua as it runs almost everywhere... I would consider RPG Maker 20X to use haxe this gives more freedom to the user and also I effing despise JavaScript!! It's okay for web and I'll use it their, but for desktop apps or even mobile? Heck no, better languages exist for those platforms! HTML5 is actually a waste of time and isn't that big in games as it was just a few years ago, and it didn't capture the flash developer crowed that people hoped for..

Streamline the code base, right now I personally see it as a mess but that doesn't mean I haven't see well written scripts by default.. it's really ugly to look at and isn't human readable like Ruby was. C# is very readable as long as you structure everything correctly!!

Shader Support is a must, yes it's an advanced topic and the average joe isn't going to know how to program shaders but the fact it's there adds a ton of flexibility for stuff you don't have to write complex scripts for like Mode7 and since Mode7 was a graphical effect that can easily be doing with the use of Cameras or Shaders writing a long script do mimic it's function wouldn't be needed. I've done it in literally 20 lines and works fine, but you would then need to allow us to have access to the the map and tilemap modules for this to happen as the background argument would have to be the map you want the effect to be used on.

Having a Sprite Animation editor is pretty much required, it does not have to be as complex as what Unity is doing with 2D games with an animation curve but a simple way of timing out each key frames, it's finally time to just animate or sprite how we want not how you want them and writing a script to really bypass this actually is a waste of time... In Defold you create an atlas -> create an animation -> add the sprite images -> set the duration and that is it. Godot, you time them by key frames, and in unity it's roughly the same as Godot.

Built in IDE, yes I love using my own IDE(VS Code) but having a built in one is a nice option.

Also for the love of god stop forcing VX mapping, it's hated everywhere<.<

Mapping: Besides getting rid of A-D it's time to just add layers and not the way RPG2000-XP did them but by actually adding layers inside the editor, this is how just about every engine does it not for reasons I shouldn't have to explain.

Inside the "TileMap" editor you should also be able to go into the animation tab and then create autotiles in whatever the RM Devs decide but i think 4-8 frames should be the limit...

Tools: I think by having a few brush tools would be nice and even changing the size of the brush would be cool.

Tile Size: Figure out a tileset format and as long as the tiles match that template any tilesize should be able to be used thus negating scripts. XP solved this already but not saying bring back unlimited tiles..

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  16. Rodak

Rodak Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Math
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just getting back into this after a prolonged absence.

If they update MV, the one thing I'd like the most is HD Functionality. I'd love to make my game with higher resolution for today's computers and monitors.

I have Construct2, and am hesitant to get C3 because I hate subscription based programs (I have bad luck and would hate to lose access over being a few dollars short one month). But C2 does do HD, and I am developing the same game concurrently on both systems to see if I like one better than the other.

Both have advantages over the other, but the HD one is the thing most influencing me as of now - when things get complicated, we'll see if convenience (MV) outweighs HD (Construct 2).

17. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    why would that need an update? MV can already be set to any screen size you want, and that includes 4k screens.
    You should change the tilesize for that to prevent tiles from becoming too small, but that is a function that can (and should) be done by plugin and not by the editor.

Rodak likes this.
  18. Rodak

Rodak Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Math
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, Dang!

I never found a way to do that and thought it was so natural that it would be in the editor!

I'll look for a plug in. Thanks!

Are there any plugins that come to mind, or even the best place to start looking? There are so many that I get lost searching :frown:

19. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Probably best to post a plug-in request for that, so as to not derail the thread.

My wishlist:

-Ability to set the size of the grid in the editor. GIMP has that for photoediting, so I know it can be done. And yes, it will be up to the developer to make sure the tiles work for that grid, but at least the option will be there.
    -Ability to set resolution in the editor. There's really no reason that can't be added in this day and age.
    -Ability to set anything that is * to + and anything that is + to * in the features page. Or even let us decide what math symbol it uses. I know they do it this way for simplicity, but I think it's time to add that option, as we already got it for variables.
    -Ability to set negative element rates. Would be an easy way to make monsters absorb an element.
    -Ability to control the auto-shadows by default. I really would like to have words with whomever set the autoshadow code so it shades on transparent tiles as that made my strategy guide SO hard to make and have it look decent, and there's no reason the code should even run there.

And finally...
    -Ability to mod the editor, or write our own functions or plug-ins which change editor features. I think this feature would go a long ways to extending the life of the engine.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko and Rodak like this.
  20. TWings

TWings The Dragon Whisperer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As awesome as it would be for advanced users. I can already picture beginners messing with that, screwing up their editor, and then complaining on the forum that their editor doesn't work. :LZSskeptic: