Your dreams on the next RPG Maker(RMMV updates or brand new ones)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
 but I've also heard parallax maps tend to really drive the size of a project up. Would an in-game parallax mapping do the same?

Yes - in tileset mapping, every tile on a map is a single number (the number of the tile inside the tileset). You'll only need to store the 48x48 pixel colors of the tile once for as many maps as you want.

In parallax mapping, you need the color code for every pixel on every position of every map - that's 48x48 color codes per tile in the grid, or 2304 color codes for the tile that is stored in a single number in tileset mapping. Depending on how much bits your color code has and how many layers are on the tileset map the factor might be different, but with 3 layers (MV) and 24bit color (the usual color palette of parallax mapping, you don't parallax with 8Bit/256 colors) that is a size factor of more than 2000 times the memory for parallax maps as compared to tileset maps.

amerk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Then maybe at the very least a tileset maker of sorts, with a blank tileset template to allow people to copy and paste tiles to the blank template and create their own. An extra bonus if you could choose your grid size, but at least this way you save time from using an outside program.

And extra tabs. As much as people push for unlimited size, I still doubt it's a good idea to go that route, since the larger the size the greater potential for lag. But a few extra tabs would resolve this, maybe double it so we have 2 sets of autotiles and 2 sets of B-E, and each set would have its own layer or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

terrorchan

Literally a Gloop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A better user interface in the developer itself. It really could improve. I saw someone make a mockup somewhere on here that was awesome

Let us edit the ingame UI similar to Luna Engine

Let us determine tileset size (32x32 48X48, ect.). you can have it as an option in the new map creator or ask when you make a new project.

Let us use portraits instead of facesets without a plugin

CENTER TEXT

Long as you want tilesets like in XP

Better autoshadowing 

Dynamic character shadows, light, and sound 

Better 'move route' eventing that doesn't have me counting tiles  >:(

Most of this stuff has scripts/plugins. If HOBBYISTS can make these in their spare time, surely professionals who do this for a living can. 

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Long as you want tilesets like in XP

There is a reason why tilesets have limited size since VX - using unlimited tilesets will destroy most of the advantages of using tilesets.

Making the tilesets unlimited would drastically increase the datasize and that would be especially problematic for mobile export.

Aleks

Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I want something more along the lines of XP. I'm not really digging the VX look, especially the mapping. It just stifles my creativity, and I shouldn't have to use external programs to make up for the engines limitations/issues. Or at least make parallax mapping integrated into the engine itself. It is seriously the only thing that I would like to see...or, well, the most important. I'd also like to see at least two different battle systems you can switch to from the settings; classic RPG turn base with side view and something like Zelda.

So here is a basic list of stuff I'd like to see in the next engine:

• XP-like mapping and graphics (no more chibi sprites, square tilesets, or boxy looks). I really, really, really mix round(er) corners. lol
  • Curve support in mapping. Think XP but far more modern. So that you can make more natural and realistic maps.
  • Audio system that could allow people to edit or loop tracks. Or maybe even just make slight adjustments, like speed and tone. Something like that.
  • A more robust bust generator.
  • Integrated bust system. No more editing it in. Maybe you can assign a bust to a sprite in the character menu and it will automatically take care of it when that character is talking. Would be awesome.
  • Battle animation options. Not mandatory, so that people don't have to have custom sprites with separate animation sheets. The option would just be cool if you do have the resources or you want to do it.
  • Two battle systems to pick from (not just front or side view, but new systems)
  • A summon system.
  • A limit system.
  • A tileset editor. You can important a tileset and copy over pieces to a blank template, so that you can make custom tilesets or import resources to an existing tileset.

Overall, more options is always a good idea. Parallax mapping is nice, but no one buying this program should ever be told that in order to make nice maps, they should use an external program and jump through all those hoops. The program states it is easy enough for a child to use, and outside requirements immediately makes that not so true. People want convenience. They will already be swamped with the game itself, learning it and whatnot, why make it so difficult for them to produce a map that looks good? It wasn't difficult in XP and 2003, and they are old as dirt.

I hope the next RPG engine takes these things into serious consideration. I like the changes MV has made, but it still feels like an add-on to VX or something. Far too similar. I hope I didn't offend anyone with this post though, just wanted to get my thoughts out there.

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I think I have but only two real gripes that I'd like to see improved:

1) "Steal" is a normal flag you can add to any skill/weapon command.. enemies have 3 normal item drops, but could have a box to check that next to each item if it is stealable.. and presto, no need for a plug in. Now you can create Steal moves that deal Dmg.. steal moves that hit all targets.. steal moves that add states.. all from the database manager and without the need for a plug in!!

-and-

2) Matching 4 directional charsets for each default enemy that can be assigned to the enemy in the database, and changes hue/color along with the hue/color slider of that enemy. I'm a fan of enemies being represented on maps, and not random encounters. This feature would make me die a happy man.

:)

crowhound

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
*random explosion of secret wishes*

1. An animation editor that is similar to Spine or something. I want to be able to use a flexible sprite editor that isn't like our current system. It's just so inflexible! Battle Animation editor sucks too.

Give me a Particle Engine too!

2. Map Editor needs to be something like UPlus or something. I want subdivision mapping and the ability to flip tiles without having to edit them in the art program. Or an autotile generator or something o(-<

3. Multi language Tab that checks all Scenes in your game and then provide the text version on the side. And then you just need to put files like filename_en or filename_br for everything else. 

4. A better debugging tool that allows us to debug and not wait for it to open like 12323211321 seconds like MV. 

5. PSVita port please.

6. RPG Maker usable on mobiles so I can actually go to the gym more often and game make while on an elliptical bike.

7. A sideview battle system control like Rm2k3 but on Steroids.

8. CTB by default.

9. ROUND CORNERS FOR CLIFFS.

If you mean the Tile editor for Unity then yes I agree with you.

Here is my list

1. Unlimited tiles on each map
  2. Particle Engine would be nice
  3. UI editor would be greeted with much happiness.
  4. Better animation editor 
  5. I know this one is way out there, but built in lighting system
  6. Better move route commands and maybe make it where you can create a line and an AI just follows that path that would be cool.
  7. Dialogue manager - have a flow map that allows you to edit dialogue when a event is selected and assign global variables to them to make them do a different conversation based on those values. Example Articty's Draft flow system.
  8. Bust generator and child generator parts would be amazing too.
  9. More supported audio and video files
  10. Please please have an editor that allows us to custom write our own formulas for how stats effect each other than making a plugin to change it.
  11.  Better tile map performance with auto tiles.

Srpg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
My biggest complain about the MV software is the main INTERFACE GUI - the icons are very grotesque and is a way backward compared to XP/VX/ACE!! All the green colored icons and bland colors make the software look like a KIDS program! This was the most shocking thing I felt when I first saw the screens and my impression didn't change after using the software. We obviously get used to it but man! does that look ugly!! Where is the professional look of the software?

Balako

PattyCake assosiation
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
N/A
this might sound silly....but i would love an auto correct function, i screw up spelling a lot xD

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
this might sound silly....but i would love an auto correct function, i screw up spelling a lot xD

Then I suggest writing your texts in Word or a similiar program and copy them into the editor only after the check.

Sorry, autocorrects are a lot more difficult to program than most people think (especially in a multilanguage program) - adding one such function to the editor would increase the programming time needed (and thereby the price) a lot, and it can easily be done with external programs. So I would prefer they spend the programming time for the next version on something that can't be easily done externally.

Mega Man Volnutt

Mega Man Volnutt
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Built in ATB

A checkmark that adds a little notificaton screen at the far left corner of the screen that you're going to the next map.

Battle animations for battle sprites like in RPG Maker 2k3.

Nintendo DS styled tiles built in as an alternative to the more realistic RTP ones we currently have.

More freedom of editing the battle and menu screen without any plugins.

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I'm probably the only one that's going to request this, but I'd love to see a ASCII font editor which would be awesome for retro(ish) games!

Another thing I'd like to see is an animation editor, just adopt spritesheets and let the user animate the cycles.  Was very cool to see in IGM, should have been brought over to the RM series with MV.  The default charsets should stay, but have an editor for those who want more detailed animations without having to "rinse & repeat until it's right".

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Mine will probably never happen but since we're dreaming here, I'll throw it in for fun.  The RPG Maker Event editor is kind of clunky and requires a lot of button clicking and Windows menus to operate.  Getting a variable to be the value you want before performing a branch can be a real pain sometimes.  Being able to use JavaScript is its saving grace but in order to make this more accessible to the masses and eliminate the need to know how to code, I'd love to see the Event Editor completely scrapped and replaced with a Scratch-like interface.  Being able to drag and drop puzzle pieces, especially for the control structures and operations is sooo much easier to use.  If you could mesh these two ideas together (RPG Maker with Visual programming), that would be completely insane ... in a good way.  Here is the contrast between the two.

RPG Maker MV

mv.PNG

Scratch (All of those event buttons could be puzzle pieces that you just chain together to event your scene)

scratch.PNG

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Mine will probably never happen but since we're dreaming here, I'll throw it in for fun.  The RPG Maker Event editor is kind of clunky and requires a lot of button clicking and Windows menus to operate.  Getting a variable to be the value you want before performing a branch can be a real pain sometimes.  Being able to use JavaScript is its saving grace but in order to make this more accessible to the masses and eliminate the need to know how to code, I'd love to see the Event Editor completely scrapped and replaced with a Scratch-like interface.  Being able to drag and drop puzzle pieces, especially for the control structures and operations is sooo much easier to use.  If you could mesh these two ideas together (RPG Maker with Visual programming), that would be completely insane ... in a good way.  Here is the contrast between the two.

RPG Maker MV

View attachment 37633

Scratch (All of those event buttons could be puzzle pieces that you just chain together to event your scene)

View attachment 37636

Scratch requires some basic knowledge of programming and math, with RM you need well knowledge of maths but 0 for programming.  Scratch would be a good way to go, but also you'd need a very large event page to accommodate scratch and stencyl's event code is pretty large which is what I'm basing that page on.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'd still want RPG Maker to do all of the things that it currently does for you.  So all of this stuff that I did in the Scratch code above wouldn't need to be done at all.  The engine controls setting up battle screen for you and running it.  I wouldn't want to put the creator through that.  It would mostly be a UI transition from the click heavy and pop-up heavy UI that's used now to drag and drop events with slots as parameters.  For instance, a simple 3d6+10-17 formula in RPG Maker is pretty painful for such a simple calculation and much easier to do in Scratch.

3d6.PNG3d62.PNG

On the flip side, if I wanted to make an RPG in Scratch, I'd have to write the entire engine from ... well, scratch.  That's a much worse proposition.  But if the two idead could be seamlessly merged together, I just think that would be pretty awesome.  As with the simple calculation I did above, I think it's much easier to decipher what's going on with the more visual interface and it took me about half the time to do it that way.

But anyway, this one is just an idea for the day long in the future when RPG Maker gets a complete UI overhaul.  It's something that I hope they toy around with and see if it's feasible and works as well as I imagine it.

Magixe

(∩ᄑ_ᄑ)⊃━☆゚*・。*・:≡( ε:)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
~More tilesets per map. 

~More self-switches.

~Using other RM's resources in-game without plugins or resizing.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
~More tilesets per map.

That defeats the main purpose of tilesets.

You can ask for larger tilesets (which has its own problems or they wouldn't be limited in size), but you can never have more than one tileset per map.

And the main advantage of using a tileset (instead of parallax mapping) is to reduce memory usage - the larger the tileset, the less RAM advantage there is gained from using a tileset. Which would be especially problematical for mobile deployment as those are limited in RAM (which is why parallax maps are problematic when deploying to mobile)

Magixe

(∩ᄑ_ᄑ)⊃━☆゚*・。*・:≡( ε:)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That defeats the main purpose of tilesets.

You can ask for larger tilesets (which has its own problems or they wouldn't be limited in size), but you can never have more than one tileset per map.

And the main advantage of using a tileset (instead of parallax mapping) is to reduce memory usage - the larger the tileset, the less RAM advantage there is gained from using a tileset. Which would be especially problematical for mobile deployment as those are limited in RAM (which is why parallax maps are problematic when deploying to mobile)

Oh, I see. That makes more sense.

txtk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
Probably more layers, isometric support, action battle system support (RTP scripts and graphics).

astracat111

Astra Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just a better map editor I think. 

For example, selecting multiple events, dragging them around, pasting, copying and pasting multiple maps, all of that stuff. It's all already very impressive, but it would be better with these improvements. 

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Can't believe my code from four years ago is still working! Did some expansions, and...
1635194553179.png
In related news, I may have an update for my old Extra status window plugin ready. That is, once I manage to sit down and update the documentation... and the demo project... :kaoswt:
How does one pronounce Godot? I've heard it pronounced a couple of different ways, and I genuinely don't know the proper way.
March 2020 ...
1635188823939.jpeg
... vs October 2021
You look like you had a rough day...Here, have a Baby Panda!

7 years of trying to plan this project... and it got an official plotline today. 7 years. I really just have no concept of order huh GHJGSJHGVGHASFH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanoql