Your dreams on the next RPG Maker(RMMV updates or brand new ones)

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Just a better map editor I think. 

For example, selecting multiple events, dragging them around, pasting, copying and pasting multiple maps, all of that stuff. It's all already very impressive, but it would be better with these improvements. 

Your idea gave me an interesting thought. How about a way to reference or clone an Event. Instead of copy and pasting an event over and over, and then having to do it again if you need to make a change, a referenced Event would be able to change all of the copies since there would only be a single instance of it. It would also free up some memory and clean up the Events list. I've run into countless situations where I needed many exact copies of Event in a bunch of different squares. The code behind would seem to be stupid easy too. The only real challenge would be the GUI.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Your idea gave me an interesting thought. How about a way to reference or clone an Event. Instead of copy and pasting an event over and over, and then having to do it again if you need to make a change, a referenced Event would be able to change all of the copies since there would only be a single instance of it. It would also free up some memory and clean up the Events list. I've run into countless situations where I needed many exact copies of Event in a bunch of different squares. The code behind would seem to be stupid easy too. The only real challenge would be the GUI.

Not really. In my Reference Events script, I simply ask you to add a comment that specifies which event the current event should reference.

You can just have a dialog that asks you if you want to reference an existing event.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Not really. In my Reference Events script, I simply ask you to add a comment that specifies which event the current event should reference.

You can just have a dialog that asks you if you want to reference an existing event.

The challenge is getting a feature added that affects the GUI. But maybe not especially since it should do wonders to free up system resources allowing the game to run better. The other huge advantage is that it would free up Switches as well since firing off the self switches would affect all of the referenced Events too. This would appear to be a big improvement without too much work needed to make it happen.

Instead of cloning events, and inheritance system for events would do wonders.

That would be great too but would serve a different purpose as inherited Events would be their own unique Event and not just a reference.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
The challenge is getting a feature added that affects the GUI. But maybe not especially since it should do wonders to free up system resources allowing the game to run better. The other huge advantage is that it would free up Switches as well since firing off the self switches would affect all of the referenced Events too. This would appear to be a big improvement without too much work needed to make it happen.

That would be great too but would serve a different purpose as inherited Events would be their own unique Event and not just a reference.

All events are unique events, including references.

It's just a unique event that happens to reference another unique event.

As for changing the GUI, there have already been changed to the editor itself in the previous updates, so it doesn't seem like an issue as far as the devs are concerned.

It's not like scripters are going to be making it.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
All events are unique events, including references.

It's just a unique event that happens to reference another unique event.

That's the way it works now ... sort of. You create a new Event that copies everything that's in the old Event. A reference wouldn't need it's own Event entry shown and wouldn't need to store any information except for a pointer. If you change the original or any reference, they all change.

Say for instance that you want to cover a 5 tile wide hallway with a single Event that happens when the player gets to that point. Typically, you'll create one Event and then copy and paste it four more times to cover the width of the hallway. If you want to change this Event, you either have to change it 5 times or delete 4 of them, change it and then copy and paste it back where you need it. Either way, you still have 5 Events when you only wanted one (and 5x the memory requirement). You also have 5 entries in your Events list getting in the way. 

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
That's the way it works now ... sort of. You create a new Event that copies everything that's in the old Event. A reference wouldn't need it's own Event entry shown and wouldn't need to store any information except for a pointer. If you change the original or any reference, they all change.

Say for instance that you want to cover a 5 tile wide hallway with a single Event that happens when the player gets to that point. Typically, you'll create one Event and then copy and paste it four more times to cover the width of the hallway. If you want to change this Event, you either have to change it 5 times or delete 4 of them, change it and then copy and paste it back where you need it. Either way, you still have 5 Events when you only wanted one (and 5x the memory requirement). You also have 5 entries in your Events list getting in the way. 

Sure, in theory, you wouldn't need to have a visual representation of the reference event on the map.

But it would be much easier, from a development point of view, to be able to SEE the references as if it were any other event, where you could quickly move the event around as needed.

The key difference is that you aren't working with clones, so you get the benefits of having a physical event to work with, while avoiding the problems of redundancy.

Soulnet

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Someone else to do the work while I supervise and become the director?

Are we at that level yet?  :p

Personally I want to be able to leave more windows open so i'm not forever opening and closing them. More functional multi screen support.

I'd love an internal note taker so you can sort of make point notes of what you've done on a map or where you are in your story.

Internal script writing. So you can write your story line by line, then refer back to them or point to them to bring up the text in game.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
But it would be much easier, from a development point of view, to be able to SEE the references as if it were any other event, where you could quickly move the event around as needed.

Well, along with the reference to the Event, location info (abd offset maybe) would also need to be stored. The editor could and should still show you the Event on the map, perhaps outlined in a different color to show that it's just a reference. Whenever you are selecting the Event from a list like in the Set Movement Route option, that's the kind of place where you don't really need see all of the references listed since they all point to the same thing.

So, I guess it would technically be it's own unique Event but wouldn't have to store much info or do much on its own. It was just a thought that popped into my head, though. There could be issues with it that I haven't really thought of.

Pine Towers

Knight Hospitaller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That defeats the main purpose of tilesets.

You can ask for larger tilesets (which has its own problems or they wouldn't be limited in size), but you can never have more than one tileset per map.

And the main advantage of using a tileset (instead of parallax mapping) is to reduce memory usage - the larger the tileset, the less RAM advantage there is gained from using a tileset. Which would be especially problematical for mobile deployment as those are limited in RAM (which is why parallax maps are problematic when deploying to mobile)

I agree with that, but why not allow the game maker to break this barrier? A warning of "You're using a tileset over the recommended limit. This may cause lagging in less powerful end-user machines due to RAM usage. Are you sure you want to use this tileset?" [Yes][No]

I like to think an engine provides a guideline, not a hard rule. Allow tinkering (more) with the limits (since some limits already can be broken via plugin)!

Instead of cloning events, and inheritance system for events would do wonders.

Really like that. A child event could do wonder. Create a base "Nurse Joy" event in Pallet and you just need to inform the engine the Viridian event is a child, instead of copy-pasting.

For my own wish, more-than-1-tile-Event. I would love to designate a custom event size, so if I want a 2-wide, 1 height Horse event, or even a 10-wide, 1 height Transfer event, or a 2x2 Ogre event or a 3x3 Fountain event (animated, so can't just tileset it).

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree with that, but why not allow the game maker to break this barrier? A warning of "You're using a tileset over the recommended limit. This may cause lagging in less powerful end-user machines due to RAM usage. Are you sure you want to use this tileset?" [Yes][No]

I like to think an engine provides a guideline, not a hard rule. Allow tinkering (more) with the limits (since some limits already can be broken via plugin)!

Doesn't work that way - if you go beyond a certain number, you will need to restructure the data formats.

Example: you decide to allow for 255 different tiles per map, that will require you to reserve one byte for each map position (because one byte can store the numbers between 0 and 255.

If you decide to allow for 270 different tiles, then for each map position you'll need a way to store the numbers from 0 to 270 - which is not possible with one byte, you'll need two byte per map position. So allowing even one more tile than 255 different tiles on the map/tileset will double the memory needed for storing the map.

Of course you can then define a lot more than 270 different tiles (2 bytes can store numbers up to 65535), but the memory usage is doubled.

And if your regular maps usually need only 200 different tiles, then that is wasted space.

The maps of RM are stored a bit differently, they don't use exactly two bytes and they need to store the different layers differently, but the way the data of the map is stored needs to be fixed at the beginning (allowing different save structures would cause for additional performance problems).

Yes, there are plugins to change the way how the map data is stored - but then they need to handle that entirely differently, which means they have to obey their own limits and numbers. Providing different ways by default is not cost-effective - do you want to pay double the price for the program, just to give a minority of the users the option to switch to a different handling that has almost no effect on most users or games?

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The memory used by an array of bytes is meaningless in this context, as there are much heavier stuff under the hood of RPG Maker. And there's also plenty of space to add more tilesets without breaking the two byte value limit of 65535.

I dare say that the perfomance cost of adding an extra tileset on a map would be smaller than the cost of adding ~10 events to it. Events are the real perfomance killers here.

For my own wish, more-than-1-tile-Event. I would love to designate a custom event size, so if I want a 2-wide, 1 height Horse event, or even a 10-wide, 1 height Transfer event, or a 2x2 Ogre event or a 3x3 Fountain event (animated, so can't just tileset it).

I made a plugin for that: OrangeEventHitboxes.

Pine Towers

Knight Hospitaller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Andar, thanks for explaining the inner workings that won't make the idea viable. This is the best way to tell people a "no" - showing them why it cannot be done.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
What about having the ability, in the generator, to create behavior poses for the character? 

I guess the problem with this is that each generator part would need additional positions to fit every pose, which i imagine would be an insane amount of extra work just for each generator part...ah well, this topic said dreams right? :)

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Universal Windows App.

Or better yet, an html5 app so it can run on anything (smart phone, Chromebook, Linux, Mac/iOS etc).

Nemo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
N/A
ARPG system or plugin, please please please. Many users always want this.

cekobico

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
External database editor. 

Like, really.

Ever tried to assign different animations to 200 skills/items? xD

Or assigning icons to 200++ skills and items that has different icons for each of them? 

Also stop emphasizing for optimization on mobile engines. I know the main selling point is the ability to deploy to mobile, but not everyone is using MV is to make mobile games. Some still want to build games targeted for PC/Mac. 

It's hilarious that MV emphasizes on that mobile export feature but there are no means by default means to actually ENLARGE the UI for actual phones...  

kovak

Silverguard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT - EN
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A propper search tool

A generator with layers + bust

XGuarden

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Natively be able to use "select case" in event. That will be great foe handle a lot of stuff without imbricated if.

Also corect these french translation mistake. Like event under or over player, they are interverted.

Make posibility to select event as same level of player be under or over the player when it's happel.

Get posibility to make code on touch on event while event was not same level then player.

Mister.Right

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I'd still want RPG Maker to do all of the things that it currently does for you.  So all of this stuff that I did in the Scratch code above wouldn't need to be done at all.  The engine controls setting up battle screen for you and running it.  I wouldn't want to put the creator through that.  It would mostly be a UI transition from the click heavy and pop-up heavy UI that's used now to drag and drop events with slots as parameters.  For instance, a simple 3d6+10-17 formula in RPG Maker is pretty painful for such a simple calculation and much easier to do in Scratch.

View attachment 37650View attachment 37652

On the flip side, if I wanted to make an RPG in Scratch, I'd have to write the entire engine from ... well, scratch.  That's a much worse proposition.  But if the two idead could be seamlessly merged together, I just think that would be pretty awesome.  As with the simple calculation I did above, I think it's much easier to decipher what's going on with the more visual interface and it took me about half the time to do it that way.

But anyway, this one is just an idea for the day long in the future when RPG Maker gets a complete UI overhaul.  It's something that I hope they toy around with and see if it's feasible and works as well as I imagine it.

I don't know about Scratch though it looks nice. If Scratch has an API/library for JS then it won't be hard to integrate into RPGMAKER. 

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

One uncomfortable truth that has withstood the test of time, is how most people will stand by while they see a crime happening, unless it's illegal to stand by. We probably wouldn't have stories about "special heroes" or games about heroes if the "everyday common folk" were largely capable of being heroes. Heroes face dangers that most people are not willing to.
I'm having toooo much fun designing the new MP (Mental Psyche) system. I've only worked it out for enemies so far, but it's fun to stun them, then go after their MP and delete them instead to farm for better item drops.
anyone know of a place I can promote my game? sorta like game awards but for indie devs, like a place where I can drop a trailer and like stir up some hype
Doing RPG Maker News for 17th October 2021

That moment when you came up with a very good game title, but when you searched it, it has already been used... T.T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smitty