Your dreams on the next RPG Maker(RMMV updates or brand new ones)

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by DoubleX, Nov 19, 2015.

1. MobileSuitSonic

MobileSuitSonic Mod Magnet Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Children for the generators.

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    already exists for the current version (since 1.3.4 of MV and the season pass DLC 4)

3. Jiffy

Jiffy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I would love see a future RM to incorporate Java rather than JavaScript, would make for much more customization.

4. Kogemashita

Kogemashita Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Built in support for bone animations!

5. MobileSuitSonic

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Under which attachment? I'm unzipping what I can and am not finding something for child sprites.

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @MobileSuitSonic
    To get the kid-tab in the generaotr, you need to install or update the core program to 1.3.4 or 1.3.5
    But that will only get you one option each for free, because the main content of the child generator parts are currently the season pass DLC4 on steam, those parts are not free

7. MobileSuitSonic

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's already 1.3.4.

8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If it is updated correctly, then as soon as you open the character generator, you should see three (instead of two) tabs:
    Male, Female, Kid

9. MobileSuitSonic

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    How do I update it? I only have male and female tabs.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found the updates.

EDIT #2: The only update for RMMV is 1.3.1... back to square one.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  10. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The updates and full installer to both 1.3.4 and 1.3.5 are here in the forum, just search for "update" or "1.3.5" in the search window

11. Esperia

Esperia Nasuverse Maniac Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    I don't want to be "that guy" but for me and at least quite a few people I know MV has been quite inconvenient to work with, The editor and the idea of plugins and java to make a lot of new ideas and flexibility is fine and all, Unfortunately there are 2 main reasons why I have yet t buy MV:

1) The loads of performance issues
    2) The fact that you actually need a good computer to even run MV games decently

That said I have seen many devs avoiding MV engine because their customers are rejecting the engine and the most regular reason for that being "low performance", "too heavy for my pc" and many more similar reasons.

I tried MV on a friends PC who bought it on steam and it's quite sweet if you're just to do a few thing in the editor but as far as selling MV games I find customers avoiding MV games more often and buy games made with Ace instead...

I really want to buy MV but so far the issues below stop me from doing so. If eventually a new revision of MV or a new engine comes out I hope the rpg maker devs seriously consider performance issues for both customer and developer sides of the audience.

12. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Esperia
    Your statements are wrong, MV is actually more effective than Ace. The difference is that a lot more people are increasing the screen size, and in 2D increasing the screen size does increase the demands on the computer a lot more than changing the resolution does for 3D.
    But if you make a game in the same map sizes as Ace, it will run a lot better than Ace.

The performance problems are mainly by people who are trying to push the engine beyond all limits, and because some memory leaks pre-1.3.4 that have been fixed by now. But probably a lot of developers haven't updated their projects or not yet completed them with 1.3.4 to make that visible.

13. Esperia

Esperia Nasuverse Maniac Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Well, I have tried many MV games on default size (ace default) and still have performance issues specially after switching to full screen (F4) and that's just with a few plugins (3 or 4).

IDK if developers are using the latest version of MV or the fixes to keep the slowdows to a minimum but I do have noticed that even after MV's release many devs are opting for ace rather than MV, Specially japanese devs.

Anyway that's just my opinion based on my time testing the engine and what I have seen and I do have tested the latest build of MV with the fixes too thanks to my friend, I'll just skip the MV engine and wait for the 3DS maker that was announced for overseas recently.

14. Piyan Glupak

Piyan Glupak Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Random encounters could be improved. At the moment, you have one encounter rate for any map (although you can have safe regions by not selecting any troops for them, or for the whole map). Back alleys of towns could be a little bit more 'eventful' than the main streets. Forest maps could have the undergrowth (where treasure would be found) more lived-in than the main paths. Also, you can not alter the encounter rates within the game (as in the player upset the local guild of thieves, destroyed the local werewolf shrine and so on).

Trihan very kindly did a lovely little plugin for me:

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/variable-random-encounter-rates.75084/

For future versions of MV (or the next engine) it might even be possible to change what troops are called in random encounters. I remember that in the original Bard's Tale, the town of Skara Brae got more lively with more dangerous enemies at night.

Enbara likes this.
  15. Harken_W

Harken_W Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I lack the terminology to describe it, but I'd like to see a system similar to the My Boy! GBA emulator app, but for RPG Maker mobile deployment.

The on screen button plugins definitely do the job, but with them disappearing on certain scenes (Battle, Menu etc) it can get a bit fiddley.

So with a system like the My Boy app, it will run your rpg maker game and overlay controls. (Up down left right A B select start etc) but these buttons would not be confined to the aspect ratio of the game. For example, your exported 4:3 game would still have the buttons in appropriate regions on a 16:9 display. As currently on screen buttons are restricted to your game window where it's being rendered.

Even a RPG Maker player app would be nice, similarly to loading ROMS It would run RPGMV games.

I can see why it isn't feasible as these are large games at times so the performance wouldn't be amazing I imagine. But one can dream.

16. L.W. Flouisa

L.W. Flouisa NumeroHex Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    RPG Maker MV sounds almost perfect. As long as FPLE keeps updating of course. I'm not wanting a 3D game like Oblivion, I'm wanting a nice easy engine that can kind of simulate 2.5D from the 1990s using sprites, and letting the landscape pop out in 3D instead.

If I wanted an Obvilion engine, I wouldn't be seeking RPG Maker.:p Or I should say, why turn a sandbox survival game into sandbox life simulator. Same thing with RPG Maker.

No Linux version is literally my only complaint at this point.

17. Pharonix

Pharonix Shadow Walker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Built in tactical battle system.

18. Kest

Kest The Ecstasy of Gold Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Stop hardcoding tile sizes. There should be no reason for them to continue doing this.

19. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Kest there already is a community plugin to change tilesizes, and there are valid reasons to not make the tilesize variable by default
    Things like the need to provide other tilesize tilesets if the default gives that option, and that would drive the cost for the stock resources up a lot.

20. Kest

Kest The Ecstasy of Gold Veteran

First Language:
    English
    No, allowing alternate tile sizes in the default editor without trickery does not necessitate providing artwork for those sizes. That's what DLC is for.

This is basic stuff and should not require an obnoxious workaround.