Your favorite (discontinued) game?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Tonko, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Tonko

Tonko Club penguin pro player Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think that all of us have spent hours, days, weeks, months and years on games that were eventually discontinued forever .

When this happens, many feelings cross our hearts; Sadness, anger... Or maybe just nostalgy.

You know what they say; don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.

In my case, I loved playing an indie game called Cube World with a friend's friend. But it's dead nowadays.

And also, I am unable to forget club penguin... Or some old flash games that could be found in random websites. Also miss the old games from CDs.

And what about the Facebook games, like Pet Society, Miscrits, Neosaurs, Social wars?

What about you? Have you experienced something like this?

2. dulsi

dulsi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Most of the games I miss could still be played today. It's just that there are no new versions of the game. Top of my list would be the .hack games. I really enjoyed the original games. The G.U. series wasn't as good in my opinion.

Another one would be Megaman Lengends.

Tonko likes this.
  3. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist Just a dev who actually got a game finished Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Lego Universe... If LEGO hadn't made the premium membership price so darn high, it would have had a chance to live...

Also, the BeybladeBattles website prior to the addition of the "Shogun Steel" line...

And the greatest discontinued "game" of all: Miiverse...

Tonko likes this.
  4. Ryisunique

Ryisunique Detective, AUEI Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Suburbia, with the murder mystery and Sims like house building.

And a restaurant one. It had a TARDIS (well, the blue box in relation to William and Kate wedding).

Tonko likes this.
  5. Neo_Kum0rius_6000

Neo_Kum0rius_6000 Not Your Ordinary Guy! Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Probably a little Korean game called Gun Bound... It was such a blast back in the day
    but nowadays the servers are dead theirs barely even 4 people on at any time.
    Also the remaining players are just hackers. But I still play the game with my little
    brother when we get the time...

6. Acetonide

Acetonide Event Coordinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Off the top of my head....
    I rather liked the flash Magi Nation and Spider Riders games. Those were interesting.

I liked really early Club Penguin when it was still getting established and older versions of Habbo where you could actually be creative with room design.

I liked Dragonica (Dragon Saga) but the closing of certain servers really killed my enthusiasm for it.

I also loved Gunbound. I mostly settle for the HTML5 knock off now. They really killed things splitting the server into NA and then recombining them, and then the further updates killed it more. Season 2 (Thor's Hammer) was probably its prime.

I rather liked the Scott Pilgrim vs The World game but I can't get it anymore.

I have no doubt there are a lot more and may post those later I guess.

Tonko likes this.
  7. OmnislashXX

OmnislashXX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There is really only one game that has been discontinued that I miss, now and forever. That would me an MMO called City of Heroes. The game where you could be a Superhero. It was promised that we would be able to plays free, forever. Then the servers were shutdown, despite the community and the player base continued protests not to. I miss those people.

M.I.A., Mordridakon, Mooshry and 3 others like this.
  8. Mooshry

Mooshry Ariana Grande has consumed my very existence help. Veteran

First Language:
    Cow
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I remember playing this game called Pokemini, which was a mobile app. I played it because my cousin and aunt were playing it too, and i wanted to get in on the fun. Some years later, i saw a post by some random person on the admin's chat board who told them to never shut down the game. I misread her post as "The game is shutting down. Don't do it, please!" and treated it as gospel, going on a rampage across the chat rooms telling people the game was shutting down. Some believed me, some didn't. Some days later, i forgot all about it. And on that fateful day in April 2016, the game announced it was shutting down. And now there's only the japanese version, which doesn't work on my phone.

TL;DR: Played game named Pokemini, proceeded to treat some random lady's post as gospel and got the game shut down.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Tonko likes this.
  9. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Saints Row is up there. I hope that there will eventually be a Saints Row 5 because SRTT, and 4 were amazing.

10. JohnOminae

JohnOminae Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The Breath of Fire franchise. It was Capcom's answer for turn based RPGs at the time that grew into it's own cool thing. They had a 6th game come out in Japan for phones, but it ain't the same.

Really hope they can return to that someday.

BadLittleSeed and Finnuval like this.
  11. Mr. Detective

Mr. Detective NATO Special Operative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just a few I can think of for now.

1. Mega Man X series and Battle Network. We recently got Mega Man Classic 11, and Zero, X, and Sigma in MvCI, but it has been almost 15 years since the last X game came out. I don't know if they are making X9 based on how well the collection sold. However, given how Capcom seems to be obsessed with hyper-realistic art style right now, I am worried that they might make X9 look like a mess.
    Battle Network is officially over, but I wish they would make another spin off game. The characters were memorable and it still had so much potential to grow.

2. SOCOM U.S. Navy Seals. The developers of the franchise were closed over 6 years ago. Both Slant 6 and Zipper kicked the bucket. SOCOM 4 was a good game, but it had flaws and dozens of questionable design choices. SOCOM was one of the good exclusives Sony had. It wasn't the best of anything but it had unique characteristics that made it stand out. Sony could ask another studio like Sony Bend to continue the franchise. Sadly, they have been neglecting it, and doing some dumb stuff recently. The fanbase of the franchise is pretty darn toxic, though. I gotta say that as much as I would love to see another SOCOM game, perhaps it might be better if it stays in hiatus. Perhaps.

3. The House of the Dead. Again, nothing really amazing about it, but it has a certain charm to me.

4. Virtual Cops. Used to play VC2 quite a lot as a kid. Wish this would continue, like Time Crisis.

5. Syphon Filter. While it did better than SOCOM, it still suffered the same fate. Sheesh, what a waste!

6. Contra. No, I don't consider those crappy Chinese mobile games real Contra games. I also wish they would go back to fighting aliens, instead of human troops or robots.

7. Metal Slug. Jesus, what the heck happened to this franchise? I think the last game I enjoyed was 5. 6 was boring. They attempted something new, but it sucked. XX was okay.

Oops. That was too many. XD

Tonko likes this.
  12. Amarok

Amarok Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i have a few of this, but i will only post the ones that hurt the most.

1.Vandal Hearts: this is a childhood favorite of mine, the last one was a mediocre game for the xbox360 with atrocious art direction, done by konami so probably not going to see it again.

2.Suikoden: another franchise in konami's hands so more or less the same as the above.

3.Advance wars: im glad fire emblem has become a mainstream nintendo franchise, but that doesnt mean advance wars has to die, they can add all the waifu/husbando mechanics there too for all i care, just make a new game already.

13. synchronicity

synchronicity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would have really liked to see what Final Fantasy Versus XIII was meant to look like before all the changes in supervision and direction, but I don't know if that would technically count as discontinued.

There was a point-and-click supernatural mystery game I stumbled upon back when Walmart still stocked PC games, and it was part of a series that was discontinued. It was called Delaware St. John and I remember being super sad that it was discontinued. I only played the one game, I guess there were a few in the series, but the one I played happened to be the last in the series that they came out with, so I never went back to play the old games.

Another series I enjoyed were the Nancy Drew computer games, which technically haven't been discontinued so much as they've been put on hold for so many years that it's just assumed by a majority of the gamers still following the franchise that a new game will never come out. I should actually look into it, see if that's changed.

Obviously, I had a thing for the point and click adventure/mystery games back in the day. I was really sad when hidden object games kind of took over that, because they're not the same for me. (It's part of why I like the Jisei visual novel series - it kind of feels nostalgic for me with the point and click element they have in later games.)

I'd maybe put Uncharted on this list as well, except they're still coming out with Uncharted games featuring other characters (or at least the one game did) so I'm not sure it counts. I'll miss not having Nathan Drake as the protagonist though, since his era of Uncharted is over.

Other than that I've been pretty fortunate to not have too many game series that I really enjoyed end, and I never really gamed online much. Even the Facebook games, if any of the ones I've played were discontinued, I wouldn't really know, since I lose interest in them after a while anyway.

OH WAIT! Okay, there was one online game I played that I loved as a kid - Cosmic Consensus I think it was called? I remember literally nothing except the pyramid you had to climb and you answered questions or something to move up, but there were traps on some of the levels that you could land on (kind of like you'd see in snakes and ladders). It was a fun game. ...I mean, I was also like 10 when I played, so my definition of fun is subjective, but yeah.

Tonko likes this.
  14. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Vandal hearts, breath of fire and suikoden come to mind instantly :(

Tonko, Amarok and BadLittleSeed like this.
  15. artoni

artoni Writer, Editor Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If card games count, there was one I played in high school with a ton of friends called Magi-Nation. They tried to reboot it with a cartoon series but it never lived up to the original.

Acetonide and Tonko like this.
  16. BadLittleSeed

BadLittleSeed 100% Organic, 1000% Evil! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, Phantasy Star... so many, many hours put into those games. I didn't get to play the first one until the Sega Ages 2500 version came out, but I loved it so much I started a new game right after killing Darkfalz. (Also, screw Baya Malay) I really enjoyed the polished version of Phantasy Star 2 (The dams were still painful as hell), although they never gave 3 or 4 the same treatment, sadly.

I tried getting into Phantasy Star Universe and PS Online. But, they just didn't have the same feel as their predecessors. I'm aware of PS Portable, and Zero, but again, I just prefer the classics I guess.

Tonko likes this.
  17. alita

alita Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I miss old Harry Potter games. I loved them with all love real fan can have.
    It had good graphics for that time, but now it seems to be out of modern games level.
    Would it be the thing which made my childhood brighter and nothing more? Or, maybe, there will be a remake? They say hope springs eternal. I still hope.
    - After all this time?
    - Always.

18. Neka Music

Neka Music Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Empty
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Megaman X
    Megaman legends
    Suikoden
    Lunar
    Breath of Fire
    Vandal Hearts

Ah, good old days.

Finnuval likes this.
  19. samkfj

samkfj Bug Powder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Silent Hill.

Xris, Ryisunique and Finnuval like this.
  20. Xris

Xris Meow. Member

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Definitely Silent Hill...
    I was just thinking about it the other day (with the release of a new game from their old competitor) I really hope they won't give up on this franchise! I never found a similar game or serie as good as Silent Hill used to be. But if they do come back, I hope it won't be a remake or a different team with a different take on the serie (like Homecoming, even though I love it).

samkfj likes this.