Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've been thinking about fairy tales a lot over the past couple days...
Which ones are your favorites?
And which are your favorite characters?

We don't need to focus solely on "true" fairy tales, but also retellings of those like the disney movies
or other adaptions. Let's say... which "based on a fairy tale"-related content is your favorite ;)

I for example have a sweet spot for Red Riding Hood and the wolf.
It's just something about the aesthetics whenever I imagine the story in my head that makes me like this one especially.
I also like a lot about Alice and Peter Pan, while I like the original stories less, I like that feel they give, so I rather enjoy the ideas and concept than most of the actual stories related to those.

Curious what your opinions are!

A-Moonless-Night

WINTER IS COMING
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh man, I had a big book of fairy tales growing up and I would read it all the time. It had a bunch of tales that weren't very well known (in my country, at least). My favourites amongst them were "Vasilisa the Beautiful", "Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves", and "The Firebird". I remember enjoying them because they weren't watered down in the way that I perceived modern fairy tales to be (I was a precocious child). I particularly enjoyed Vasilisa the Beautiful because the witch had a house with a fence made out of human bones, and I thought that was the coolest thing ever.

In terms of more 'modern' fairy tales, I always loved Disney's Snow White. I had the video tape as a kid. I also had the Dopey soft toy, which I absolutely adored. :)

I've read Sarah J Maas's A Court of Thorns and Roses, which is a reimagining of Beauty and the Beast. I enjoyed it, but I must admit I don't really like retellings of fairy tales like that. I dunno. Just not my cup of tea.

The Mighty Palm

Resident Palm Tree
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Does the Arthurian legends count?

If not, I'll have to go with this one (whose name i forget)

Shepherd boy is watching his sheep, when he notices a bunch of odd looking trees.
While observing them, he manages to drop his wooden staff down a well, and a troll appears. The troll offers to go into the well and retrieve his staff. First the troll brings up a brass rod and asks if this is his staff. The shepherd boy declines. Next the troll brings up a shiny silver staff and asks. Declines again. Finally the troll brings up a golden, very exquisite staff lined with jewels. The boy declines and the troll bursts into flames and vanishes, leaving behind the wooden staff. Then the trees turn back into shepherds, who were greedy and lied to the troll.

Or some such like that, its been a long time since I heard it.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not really a fairytale, but I've always liked this short vampire story from Burton upon Trent (England). I just love the image of two vampires shambling through the village at night, carrying their coffins on their backs, and spreading disease in their wake. I generally enjoy reading vampire tales from history because of how different they are from modern adaptations.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
:XP01B:I’ve been summoned!

Fairytales are awesome! My bachelor paper’s subject was actually a comparative study of Japanese and Western fairytales. I also had several fairytale books as a child (well, okay I still have them) that had both well-known fairytales and a couple of more obscure ones. They were all aimed at children though, so the endings of some of them were slightly rewritten. (Something I only noticed when I read the original versions a couple of years ago.) I now own around five or six books with the original fairytales, including the complete collection of the Brothers Grimm, H.C. Andersen and Lewis Caroll. (And it’s still not enough to sate me :p)

As for my favourite fairytale(s), it might come as a surprise but Little Red Riding Hood wasn’t one of them originally. The reason I picked that one as a starter game was, because it’s very simple story and also known to about everyone. Through the years of working on this game, I’ve really come to appreciate it. I’ve also learned that the oldest version of the tale they could find was Belgian, so it’s only made me more interested in it.
What was my favourite fairytale when I was a child was The Goose Girl. I remember we had to tell our favourite fairytale in class as a speech exercise in elementary school and literally no one had ever heard of this tale before. I’m pretty sure I first came across it on SimsalaGrimm (which I watched religiously as a kid). I’ve reread it recently and I must say I’m not sure why I liked it so much as a child, considering some of the things that happen in it (even in the “kid” version). :kaoback:
Another fairytale I liked when I was young was The Happy Prince. I didn’t know who it was written by as it was one of the tales in my children fairytale books. Later I learned it was by Oscar Wilde, my favourite writer. So that only made me love him even more. His other fairytales are nice as well, but The Happy Prince is definitely his best one.

As for favourite characters, working on my game world has had an influence on my perception of the characters, so bear with if they seem kind of strange. :p Anyway, I really like Little Red Riding Hood, Goldilocks, the Big Bad Wolf, Reynaert the Fox (technically not from a fairytale but shhh) and the Pied Piper. I’ll refrain from going into detail why I like them, unless someone is really interested? :wub
:MV2:

As for your last question, regarding fairytale-based content: I adore Disney’s Beauty and the Beast. It’s my favourite Disney movie and one of my favourite movies in general. It’s beautiful to look at, has an amazing story, awesome characters (Belle honestly was the first princess that paved the way for bolder generations to come), a villain you meet in everyday life (unfortunately) and instant sing-along songs.
Other than the Disney movies though, I tend to avoid most fairytale adaptations, because I often end up not agreeing with them. I mean they tend to modernize some aspects of the tale, but not the others, changing the whole tale and the context around it. What I do really like from some adaptations is fairytale characters meeting characters from other fairytales.

TLDR: I guess you could say I like fairytales ;)

I also like a lot about Alice and Peter Pan, while I like the original stories less, I like that feel they give, so I rather enjoy the ideas and concept than most of the actual stories related to those.
Ooh, I feel the same way about Alice. She's a fun character and I love her design, but the stories are so whimsical, never really liked them even as a child.

joombo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I remember growing up having a huge book of fairy tales (Brothers Grimm, Andersen, etc.) that I was obsessed with. I always thought it was so interesting that modern depictions of the stories have been changed so much. My favorite was always The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen

Philosophus Vagus

The drunken bird dog of rpg maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As a child my favorite fairy tale was probably the fox and the hound (does that count? I mean it's only from the 60's so probably not but it's similar to a lot of classic fairytales in tone and scope and such), at least until I got around to reading the actual novel...man that wreaked my childhood so hard. Everything that happens to everyone in that book is so sad, nothing but misery and obsession and death.

As for my favorite character/favorite fairytale now, probably Urashima Taro. The tale is layered with useful morals and unlike most western fairytales it doesn't pull any punches to "preserve a child's innocence" or whatever. The realization that the main moral to the story is actually something along the line that helping others doesn't necessarily result in good results and can actually harm you I felt a great affinity for the tale. Not that I think we should all be selfish *******s but as a teenager I got into a lot of troubling situations because I thought I could fix other people's problems and it just left me feeling ostracized and alone in the end so as an adult I can respect the honesty in a children's tale that warns young ones about the perils of getting involved in situations they have no business stepping into. Would have helped me a lot growing up to have had such an abject lesson.

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A bit obscure maybe, but I would say my favorite is the medieval Scottish Ballad of Tam Lin. A maiden encounters a company of elves riding and recognizes one of them as a changeling. The changeling, whose name is Tam Lin, helps the maiden escape the elves wrath for disturbing their procession. Tam Lin tells her that every year the elves tithe one of their own to Hell and he knows that he will be sacrificed next year. They meet again the next year and the maiden helps Tam Lin by pledging her love for him.

There are a lot of variants but that is the basis of it.

10salt

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
Other
Best fairy tales for me are :
Peter Pan, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Jack and The Beanstalk, Mulan

For Peter Pan I love it since I think I can relate to Wendy in that age, meanwhile for Sleeping Beauty I love the fairy characters

Jack and The Beanstalk is the most scary for me, but I do felt bad for the giants since well-- technically Jack did stole their things
and oh gosh Mulan is amazing, I read all of the versions, some of it sad but it's still heroic.

But the most heartbreaking one is The Little Mermaid. Hans C.A. always made the most heartbreaking fairy tale ever :"(
I remember one of his story about The Fir Tree, until now it gave a big impact for me.

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Jack and the beanstalk is a standout for me, I didn't get too into the fairytales though beyond the kid type of stuff you see as a child. Some years ago a relative got me some reading tablet that had a bunch of pre-loaded stories on it; classics like picture of dorian gray or sherlock holmes but it also had a collection of japanese fairytales. I found them quite interesting to read in that they had a different feel to the story if that makes sense. It was awhile ago and the only one I can remember well enough off the top of my head is Momotaro. I ended up losing that book reader unfortunately.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Vox Novus Momotaro is definitely the most famous Japanese fairytale. I think most people will also have heard of Kintaro and Princess Kaguya, as they tend to be referenced in several anime.
Which just reminded me that Ghibli made a Princess Kaguya movie. If you haven't seen it, you should! It's the most beautiful looking and sounding anime movie I've ever seen (and was most definitely snubbed at the Oscars).

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@slimmmeiske2 I've heard of those, chances are I probably read either of those to in that collection I mentioned as it had like a couple dozen stories or something. I just can't seem to recall specifics other than momotaro, that one I clearly remember what its generally about. I'll have to order a book or something online that has a collection of them to refresh my memory; I'm sure I've actually read a lot of the popular ones. I remember I really enjoyed reading them at the time though and sort of just read them all back to back.

I've heard of the movie but never really checked it out, I've gotten behind on studio ghibli's movies.

Akihiko

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't have a favorite fairy tale, but one that stuck with me is the little match girl. I don't remember all the details of it, but as far as I can remember, it's about a little girl trying to sell matches during the winter. No one pays attention to her, and in the end, she freezes to death.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It's kind of too hard to choose.

For a favorite character, hmm. I do love Sherazade. A woman who loves her ruler even though he's gone completely mad and sacrifices herself in an attempt to reach him, a woman so creative, talented, and clever that she saves herself, her husband, and her kingdom, not by grand acts but by telling stories. I know it's a relatively new inclusion, but I like the versions of 1001 Arabian Nights where her story gets an ending.

For favorite stories, I like the ones where it's about being clever that saves the day. Which means I like a lot of the Arabian Nights stories, I'm very fond of Robin Hood, I enjoy a good version of Puss in Boots, would love a modern take on The Seven Chinese Brothers, and so on. I also really love ones where there's a focus on creativity, so the Magic Paintbrush has always been interesting to me, even though there's not much story there. I've always loved Beauty and the Beast/Cupid and Psyche/East of the Sun West of the Moon. I think it's a shame and morally problematic that modern versions of the story have the Beast character act beastly as well. And although it's been done a billion times, I just still love the classic escapism that is Cinderella in her many, many versions. Eh, let's be honest, I just love fairy tales and think that it's sad that so many really interesting and diverse tales are being forgotten. I really can't pick a favorite! But. . . for one that's lots of fun but not well known, maybe give The Soldier and Death a look.

GolfHacker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I always liked the Disney version of Sleeping Beauty. The characters, story, music, and art style all appeal to me for some reason.

Also love Disney's Snow White, Cinderella, Peter Pan, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and Tangled.

As for non-Disney, I always found Rumpelstiltskin to be an interesting story. If I remember right, there are several variations of it in the Grimm's book (can't reference it right now, since it has already been packed away for my upcoming cross-country move in a few weeks). Also, I enjoyed the Ugly Duckling, probably because I spent a lot of my childhood as an outsider/outcast/loner type.

Pixie_Virus

I may be a spy...
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is a book with a bunch of stories by Gail Carson Levine. I absolutely love it. Just a bunch of oddly retold fairy tales that are great for out-loud reading. Also pretty much everything Barbie did before A Mermaid Tale, great renditions of old fairy-tales.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally showing some updates again
I think it's ready - Chapter Selection:
unknown.png
On another more gaming topic, I paid 20 bucks for a visual novel to emotionally destroy me. I may write an entry about that.
1638611395177.png
Reading about metaverses recently. I can totally imagine myself in the future, logging in with VR glasses to a virtual beach villa sitting in a virtual chair, with a virtual laptop facing the sea...coding 16-bit RM.
Mod name: "[Game name] Gameplay Overhaul"
What they actually mean: "Here is a mod that makes the game harder."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drekex