Your favorite instrument you like to hear in a song.

NTakamura

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The title explain it all. What instrument do you like to hear in songs? I personality like the piano since it is very flexible and it can portray multitude of different emotions. This is my opinion after all. What instrument do you like to hear in a song and why?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dirge

Sound Engineer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Mmmh. Tough one. Depends on the genre, I guess, but I love guitars... I play a wide range of instruments but guitar is my first and greatest love. That said, I have a serious soft spot for violin - there's something absolutely spine-tingling about a well-played violin.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Drums, synths, guitar, bass, in that order.

Drums is life IMO, I'm a beat addict.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My favorite instrument to listen to is actually the viola. I love their rich and buttery middle tones. They have such a beautiful timbre to their C and G strings.

I love string instruments in general, but they're what I play after all. It's a really tough decision to make a favorite because I enjoy so many. There are truly few instruments I dislike listening to.

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Cello. I haven't a clue why, I've just always loved the sound.

NTakamura

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Dirga:

The guitar can do wonders on battle themes and fast pace songs in general. If done right it can really bring energy to the song. Violin, well all strings, are my second favorite. So I know what you mean.

@Indinera:

I am pretty knew to using syth in my songs but there have been some song have created a great medley from it. Guitar, are nice and they complement syth very well. Bass and Drums, aside from a Bass drum and a drum kit have never explored outside those two but they can really add the extra flare to a song.

@Ms. Littlefish:

Viola is my favorite out of the string family as well, Cello coming at a close second. Yeah I agree picking one is tough but like you i like to experiment with each song, trying to use something different to give each song their own personality.

@taarna:

Cello are a wonderful instrument, especial when they play a slow, low pitched tremolo. 

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
It really rather depends on the song. There are few instruments I don't like, but you have to have the right instrument playing the right part.

I will say, though, that I really like the Spanish guitar, the cello, and the ocarina.

NTakamura

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have to agree the mood of the song does play a role in what instrument is used. Out of the three instrument that you have listed cello is the only one that I have composed with. I have composed with some guitar, mainly distorted. I only have heard of an Ocarina, of course more just from Ocarina of time. Do you have a piece with it?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Flute

NTakamura

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Flutes are nice. Winds in general add tranquility and mystery. It also really remains me of air and breezes.

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
The ocarina is used as the "character" instrument in this piece from Bravely Default.

And then...

NTakamura

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks I will definitely check it out

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, that's right - I especially like it when it sets a slow, free, "airy" mood.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Recorder. They're not popular to use because of the limited range, but they have a warmer, more ethereal sound than a flute. They're used by elementary schools a lot because there easy to play but sound very different when played by a professional on a wooden and not plastic instrument.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really like recorders too, Sharm.  I love wooden flutes in general, especially Irish flutes. I have one but it's a tad cracked and quite Hellish to get a sound out of though.

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As for me, it is not necessary in a song, but rather music in general, I like pipe organs. The sound they create put a lot of of depths in the music, and emphasizes a scene. Alas, I'm not sure it fits the definition within songs, where vocalization is required.

NTakamura

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Shark:

It has been a while since a heard a good recorder but to hear it played professionally I would definitely like to hear. In a sense it is like a vocal such where the range is not big but if written right it can good.

@Schlangan:

Pipe organs have so much potential and can make a rich medley. I never really written a song that wasn't evil or ominous sounding when using a pipe organ. I might consider using it for other moods.

ChipZealot

Composer/Sound Designer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh man. I gotta say, a good cello solo is tough to beat. I'd also have to put in a good word for the Hammered Dulcimer though for a beautiful, rustic sound.

NTakamura

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@ChipZealot

Yeah a Cello solo can melt the soul and really make you feel the music. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's my cute little ghost~
Minecraft Dungeons is a great example of a game that's much simpler than other games in its genre but almost as equally immersive and fun to play. Lotta RPGmaker devs could learn from that lesson.
Well, it's been a while since the last time I came here... Is there a JS scripting FAQ? I'd like to know what it's capable of achieving, and how :rswt
I love the Time Fantasy tiles, but haven't played anything made with it yet. Can anyone recommend me something?
Vote for what I show more indepth on Twitter tomorrow from the MZ default resources

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rexiipher