Mega Man Volnutt

Mega Man Volnutt
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hmm, FL studio. It's free and it's premium features aren't too bad.

m4uesviecr

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I use FL Studios but, if you want to get even more serious, you'll have to at least learn the basics of Pro Tools and Logic. Kontakt is also becoming a force to be recokned with, especially since there are so many amazing vsts that utilize Kontakt (and NOT the free kontakt player, which really sucks).

I say learn other programs because there are quite a few jobs in the industry that are specific about what DAWs they expect you to be proficient in, despite whether or not you are amazing at one in particular.

I apologize for the tangent, but my DAW of choice is also FL Studios. FL is easy to handle, but difficult to fully grasp. There is SO much you can do with it.

Janusz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I did not touch music software for the past few years, but earlier Cubase + Reason + VST + VSTi + large library of sounds from various magazines were able to give me almost everything I needed to create music from scratch, it is surely better combination than FL, no doubt.
Also, I will repeat what I always write / speak - to create the music you need a specific sound card - it is a priority. Otherwise any good DAW / VSTi only slow down the computer so that it will not be suitable for comfortable work. Along with many sound cards you can get good music softwares like Cubase, Sonar, Pro Tools, Finale or other ...

Olivier

Lurker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I use Logic Pro X. I grew up with GarageBand so the switch to Logic was easy.

Lars Ulrika

I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A
I use FL Studio since version 7. Now I added Kontakt 5 elements with VI.One to have a decent enough library. If you have low budget like me I highly advice you to check VI.One. For 200$ you get a very wide array of instruments which are all of a pretty decent quality.

FL Studio is exactly the sequencer I need as I'm one of those accursed musicians who doesn't know a damn about theory I do everything by ear exclusively. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Magixe

(∩ᄑ_ᄑ)⊃━☆゚*・。*・:≡( ε:)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I, the noob, use Noteflight. Ehehehe. It's just music notation.

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Magix Music Maker (Premium or Pro or whatever the heck they call it). A little noobish, maybe, but fun when I actually sit and work on stuff. I like the result, too, which is the main thing that matters. The sound sets for commercial use have a bit of a price tag, though.

jwideman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
FL Studio, hands down.

Crispy-Ghee

The Crispy One
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Another one for FL studio. It's intimidating to look at at first, but it's pretty easy to pick up and write once you play around with it a little bit and get a tutorial or two.  ((i'm also one of those musicians who learned by ear and what little I know of music theory was from my stint in choir lol so the FL studio interface is pretty optimal for someone like me)) 

LaFlibuste

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I'm a bit like Ms Littlefish, for me it's Finale + any DAW that's available. I've used GarageBand a good deal, it did the job I required it to do, but I also worked with Logic Pro and Protools in school.

It's really not my thing, but a very very interesting piece of software is Reason. It's paid software but there are trials. It's basically a virtual rack to create synths and loops. Very interesting, very powerful! I personally prefer music notation, I can't work with something like that, but for someone who might have less formal musical training or maybe for different kinds of music I guess it could be a very powerful tool!

jwideman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm a bit like Ms Littlefish, for me it's Finale + any DAW that's available. I've used GarageBand a good deal, it did the job I required it to do, but I also worked with Logic Pro and Protools in school.

It's really not my thing, but a very very interesting piece of software is Reason. It's paid software but there are trials. It's basically a virtual rack to create synths and loops. Very interesting, very powerful! I personally prefer music notation, I can't work with something like that, but for someone who might have less formal musical training or maybe for different kinds of music I guess it could be a very powerful tool!

What DAW uses musical notation? Musical notation is useful for reading and performing music, but it's the least efficient way to compose.

LaFlibuste

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Well I know it's an option in Logic Pro, I think it is in Garage Band too (and probably most DAWs to be honest), but honestly it's kinda clunky, unintuitive and, ultimately, not really practical. That was my feeling anyway, but maybe it comes from having fine-tuned my finale to my needs and knowing its shortcuts so well. Also, if you don't work with a midi controller, the efficiency loss might be felt less... Just try a few ones and find one you like, I guess.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the matter of efficiency just depends a lot on what your brain makes the most sense out of. For me, notation personally gives me the most clarity, control, and ability to communicate music because it's second nature for me. I've been using Finale for over a decade, sheet music all together even longer, so I've gotten pretty fast at it. 

Feldschlacht IV

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Audacity, but I usually only do cuts and samples; I don't dabble much in actual composing, which better programs excel at! It's great for what I need it for, though.

jwideman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Audacity, but I usually only do cuts and samples; I don't dabble much in actual composing, which better programs excel at! It's great for what I need it for, though.

There are people who use it as their DAW. These people are not well.

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Baerthe It's okay. Me too. If you snag the Windows Store copy of Music Maker Jam and get your free styles, you can use those in it. It'll actually find them on startup of the program. You'll just need to buy a license for the styles you use if you want to use the music commercially. It's something like $10 for each Jam style, so it's actually not too bad.

Occasional user
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
Another FL Studio enthusiast here.

I did every kind of music genres with it.

It's fast and simple, and yet powerful.

Gaiaman77

Music Composer/Sound Designer/Self Proclaimed Nice
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I use Cubase. Paired with Spectrasonics Omnisphere which is an incredible synth engine that combines synth and samples. I can find literally any sound I need on it thanks to its exhaustive library, thats anything from perfectly sampled eastern string instruments to environmental sounds like birds, people e.c.t. 

https://www.spectrasonics.net/products/omnisphere/

I also use Milasov Philharmonik for specific orchestral instruments. (The oboe, clarinet and flute on this VST are incredibly dynamic!)

For drums I use a combination of Superior Drummer 2.0 and some of the electronic percussion sounds from Omnisphere.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/philharmonik2/

I also have a secret weapon for 8 bit sounds (which I like to apply effects to using cubases simple delays e.c.t)

Finally I just recently found a bass guitar VST that is almost perfect for Retro RPG stlyes. It is called OMB2 by a great developer called Samsara Audio Circles.

All of the plugins and instruments here are completely FREE which is amazing. Great sounds, easy to use.

https://www.facebook.com/SamsaraCycleAudio/?pnref=story

This for me is constantly changing however. I have a violin that is begging to be recorded for a game score. there is nothing, I repeat -nothing- comparable soft synth wise to the sound of directly recorded classical instruments.

Keep up the good work everyone! ^_^

Shepard

Questioning Idiot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I find FamiTracker the best for making 8-bit music, but I'm not sure about other music since I haven't really tried to make any.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My Overworld might be a mix of inspiration from 2D Final Fantasy games, Breath of Fire, Battlechasers: Nightwar, Super Mario World, and Pillars of Eternity. If I can make it more in-depth than just walking from point A to point B, that might do a lot for the gameplay experience. Hmm...
Terribly depressed. Worst birthday I've had in years, no motivation to work on anything. Still no income. At least I've got my computer running again.
Doing RPG Maker News for 19th September 2021

Stream will be live with some Dark Souls 3, followed by a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Majestyyummy