Your favorite outdated game?

Imploded Tomato

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
What's your favorite outdated video game that you still enjoy playing today?

One of my favorites is "R.C. Pro-Am" for the NES. Another of my favorite outdated games is "The Elder Scrolls III : Morrowind" for the PC because there is a huge unofficial modding community that is devoted to creating mods, some of which offer better resolution textures and finer mesh designs for objects and items which really enhance the experience compared to the vanilla version of the game. Seeing various artists work come to life in a old game like "Morrowind" has been an amazing experience over the years as some of the mods I've witnessed add a lot of variety and replay value to the game.

muzgob-comparison.jpg

mwo.jpg

Sausage_Boi

Game Dev. "Artist."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Morrowind is a good one. I love PC games for the modding community. You can come back to them after a few years, and find more content, and usually, updated graphics.

My favorite outdated game is probably Xenogears or Parasite Eve. I just loved those games, and still do.

Imploded Tomato

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm thinking about trying mods out for "Fallout : New Vegas" for the PC next, should hold me over until "Fallout 4" comes out... lol...

Susan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
No idea...
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For japanese games, it's Final Fantasy 6. Though not my first JRPG, the world, story, characters and music totally blew me away despite already being outdated even at the time I played it. Not to mention the surprise I had had when

I found out clearing the Floating Continent was only half the story. That game was huge!

For western RPG, it is Wizardry 8. The character interaction was new at that time for first person RPGs. There were various skills you could learn and hone just by using them. You could change classes to learn more too. There were also item customization available. The battles tend to be tedious, but I really enjoyed the gameplay.

Espon

Lazy Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Gibberish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I still like playing through Secret of Mana every once in a while.

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (Overlord of Memes)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Tomba

Nobody knows this game but it's a masterpiece, extremely fun and still one of my favourite childhood games.
Oh and I agree with Susan and LaptopDancer, I friggin love FFVI and Xenogears too.

EDIT:

Oh and Medievil, how could I forget that awesome thing? That game totally reminds me about Tim Burton's movies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Venka

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Might and magic 3 and the world of xeen ones. I was a kid but I remember getting excited about a two part game where you could travel through both games once you had them. Its also where my love of pixel art started and gaming in general.

Millefeuille

Heart attack in black hair dye
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Al Bhed
Primarily Uses
Ragnarok Online 1 and Riviera the Promised Land <:3c
Ragnarok Online will never be outdated. It just gets better with age.*

*(Except for the things about it that haven't gotten better, which are numerous.)

Skies of Arcadia is pretty good. I haven't felt a deep fascination with many other game worlds and their history, but something about Arcadia in particular was very mysterious. I also loved the music, not only because it sounded wonderful but had a compressed feel to it that reminded me of SNES games. Actually, I think the music in it was purposely crushed in order to fit everything on the disc.

I'm a loser who only likes RPGs and hat collecting games

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
Ragnarok Online will never be outdated. It just gets better with age.*

*(Except for the things about it that haven't gotten better, which are numerous.)
Oh definitely, forgive me for the blasphemy~

*From a technical standpoint, the game is outdated. But I love playing it so much. I don't like the new classes and the new artists they had for it. I wish they have more time to polish it but what the heck? Tree of Savior is almost here!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The original XCOM: UFO Defense (there are reasons why it has been declared "best game of all times" for several times), although I find the third part (XCOM: Apocalypse) slightly better - and if you accept the older grafics both are still better then the current version of XCOM due to the more random battlefields

Ultima 4, because it's the first RPG that created a real world with effects for roleplaying instead of just fighting around - you really had to become an avatar of good (no stealing, etc) to solve the game.

Clord

Nya~
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I tried to think what would be my favorite outdated game, but I came to conclusion that there are too many games to make even a short list.

Games like Final Fantasy VII and more would be in that list as it was the first 3D RPG I did play and really got me into Final Fantasy series.

Last edited by a moderator:

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hmmm... Pokemon (the original ones), Valkyrie Profile on PSX, Tomba (yeah Dalph), Persona 1, Ragnarok Online, Digimon World and Rumble Arena, Did I say Valkyrie Profile? Gran Turismo 1

but still, my favorite is Harvest Moon Back to Nature.

Sausage_Boi

Game Dev. "Artist."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Jeez,I forgot about so many good games. Medievil was an awesome game! I had to pick it up again from the PS store for my PSP and PS3... :)  

Xcom was so flipping hard on PSX, but my friend and I kept on renting all the damn time, (it cost like a dollar or 2 for 3 days...) until they just sold it to us for like $5... It seems we were the only ones playing it.

Sadly, I only got to play the demo of Tomba!....no one sold it in town...I should seek it out, though, and give it a play.

gRaViJa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Tomba

Nobody knows this game but it's a masterpiece, extremely fun and still one of my favourite childhood games.

Oh and I agree with Susan and LaptopDancer, I friggin love FFVI and Xenogears too.

EDIT:

Oh and Medievil, how could I forget that awesome thing? That game totally reminds me about Tim Burton's movies.
I remember Tombi! Fun game!

Gothic Lolita

YouTube Starlet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh yeah, Tomba was one of the most overseen epic games I known. <3

I also loved playing Legend Of Dragoon, but never had the chance to finish it, because the 3rd Disc I had was damaged. :/
The best outdated PC game I played is "Titan Quest"? Is that allready outdated?
Well else I would stay with Morrowind, played it for over 300 hours. :D (\s/)

hian

Biggest Boss
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
Tomba(1 and 2) was awesome, so Imma add my vote to that.

That being said, I'm not sure what you mean by outdated though - like in "it hasn't stood the test of time" in terms of quality, or that it is "old"(pre PS2 era), or that it's an old gem that everyone's forgotten?

Anyways, these are all the old games (pre PS2 era) that I still enjoy (thought that was the best definition, since most people seem to be thinking along those lines) -

FF6-9

FF:Tactics

Xenogears

Chrono Trigger/Cross

Breath of Fire 3-4

Suikoden 1-2

Star Ocean 2

Vandal Hearts

Vagrant Story

Alundra

Granstream Saga

Grandia

Battle Arena Toshinden 1-3

Tekken 2

Rival Schools

Metal Gear Solid 1

Rayman

Ape Escape

Medievil 1-2

Syphon Filter 1-3

Front Mission 2-3

Castlevania Symphony of The Night

Zelda - Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask

Shenmue 1-2

Rainbox Six - Rogue Spear (and expansion packs)

Shogun Total War (the first one)

These are the ones on the top of my head that I have on my phone, my Vita, or my computer and play regularly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

wake me up when Photoshop stop crashing everytime
Brioche with a crème patissiere filling is so tasty!
A group of Game creators and others who trying to revive the Feel of Multiplayer and TOWN/ROLEPLAY games
Wow, lots of RPG Maker MV stuff on sale on Steam for 50%-75% off. Steam, why you not tell me?!
looking for help on top secret project

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Initial_Velocity