Your favorite quests? And why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Plueschkatze, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Plueschkatze

Plueschkatze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    What have been you favorite quests in video games and why?
    How were they structured? As in: What did you have to do? And what was the reward?

I'd love to do a bit of discussion and analyses on what makes good quests.

One of my favorite quests of all time was in Suikoden II, if you had loaded your Suikoden I savefile.
    You could head to Banner after a certain point in the game to meet McDohl, the hero of the first game.
    It was amazing to get the chance to meet a beloved character once more and to travel back to Gregminster.
    It included a bit of backstory and a bossfight and even if I kinda disliked the story part partialy, I loved that I could go back and get McDohl to join my party to fight alongside Riou. (And yeah, Gremio and McDohl! <3)

In general I enjoy quests and side missions that give you the opportunity to get to know characters better.
    Even if some of them are really just fanservice.

I'm thinking about more games and quests I enjoyed...

2. Vincent Chu

Vincent Chu Writer and translator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not sure what mine is but I do like ones that earns us new party members like the ones in Suikoden and FF Tactics. I also like some of the optional puzzles in the Prof Layton games too.

Plueschkatze likes this.
  3. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I usually take the quest for granted. Most of time just do it and see what is the reward.
    But I do have the thing I like in a quest. It's the ability to choose a choice so that it will affect the outcome of the story.
    And neither of the choices are wrong. It just about depends on how you perceive the story and the moral you choose. And moreover, Roleplaying

One of the example would be a Far harbour Fallout 4 DLC. Where there're three major factions. Two of them were in conflict, and both depends on one other faction. You had to pick the route you gonna choose. If you want to keep all the factions, you had to follow a certain chain quests

Plueschkatze likes this.
  4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I also like quests where you get to make a choice, where that choice affects other things in the game - not necessarily the ending, but could be. It adds to replayability, and there's the emotional aspect of whether the choice turned out to be a good one and how it affected the characters.

5. Amarok

Amarok Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    TES4: Oblivion had a quest that could end being a direct reference to Steven Seagal's Under Siege. That one was one of my favs if only for how much it made me laugh.
    Also the invasion of Aveh in xenogears, what happens at the end with ID and the warship is one of the best moments in videogame history.

As long as it gets me hooked for one reason or another its a good quest, if its just go to point X to do Y so you can get the reward, thats too mmo for me.

6. starlight dream

starlight dream Loving life...One dream at a time Veteran

First Language:
    EN, EL, FR
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Great topic but I'll need to give this some thought.

@Plueschkatze I like the one you mentioned. Haven't played it but it's a neat idea!

Plueschkatze likes this.
  7. lokirafael

lokirafael Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I enjoyed every quest from Gravity Rush 1 and 2. They are soo well made that you feel like theses quests are part of the history.

My fav quests in my own game are episodic quest's. Eg. I have an assassin girl that is stern and a little sadist, but love cute stuff. One of her 1st quest is to obtain the rumored new Doll that was sold out everywhere. The main character meet an almost raging assassin and is draged into a mess to find the doll. The quest span in 3 chapters.

I do have fetch quests but they are just to give some stuff to the player and don't amount in anything. Jus causual fillers.

Edit: http://www.dorkly.com/post/82538/rpg-quests-youll-embark-on-in-every-adventure (old but gold)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    starlight dream likes this.
  8. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I wonder if people might like to be a bit more explicit in their answers and say what, in their opinion, makes this a 'good' quest, beyond "I like it." Some of the answers leave me wondering why they qualify. Is it, as some have mentioned, the type of reward (e.g. getting another character), increased replayability, or what?

9. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If mine is not clear enough, the reason is more or less like Shaz's. The emotional value (if story focused), replayablility, and relatability since you have a 'power' to change the course of the story (demn, I wanna replay FO4 now).

Of course, not always a multi-end quest is a good quest for me. The one that qualified good for me is when all the choice are true, and you can feel dilemma when choosing it. Either it's because of the story forces you to decide the fate of the character/story, or when the reward is equally good. Because this kind of quest make me feel aware of the game, which normal quest like fetch quest or hunt quest doesn't

starlight dream, Plueschkatze and Kes like this.
  10. mauvebutterfly

mauvebutterfly Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    When I'm playing a game with a cast that is larger than my party size, I actually like it when the game forces me to use specific characters. Side quests that have a personal importance to a specific party member are a great way to encourage or force the player to play with new party compositions, and it's almost always fun to get some background or character building moments for the secondary characters that aren't necessarily as much of a focus in the main plot.

Making these sections side quests (ie optional) also gives the player more investment in these moments since they have chosen to participate in them, and given that they recognise the significance of requiring a certain party member, can also make them anticipate a payoff of sorts regarding that character.

starlight dream and Plueschkatze like this.
  11. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Favourite main quests:
    The horror mansion from Lilly & Sasha 1. Basically you were invited to a mansion to stay overnight, turns out there’s lots of monsters and the host might want you dead? I liked it, because it wasn’t something you see in a fantasy RPG. I also am a fan of that type of setting.

The book writing quest from Edolie. The main character in Edolie is an aspirant writer, so at the very beginning of the game you get to choose which subject to write on. Then throughout the whole game there were various people/places/puzzles to meet/see/do depending on what subject you were writing about. You could gain an extra party member for some subjects and it even influenced the ending. (I had this initially written down as a sidequest, until I remembered you could not start your journey before choosing what subject to write on.)

Side quests:
    In general I just prefer side quests over main quests. Not because of rewards or anything. I just like the idea of helping out my fellow NPCs. It’s also a nice break from all that stupid fighting and saving the world most of the time.

Some examples of favourite side-quests:
    The guild initiation, Nightwatch and Shop owner quests from Aveyond 4: Shadows of the Mist. I guess technically the “shop owner” isn’t really a quest, but it was a lot of fun to have customers come in, give a riddled description of what they want, and then match it to an item in your inventory.
    One specific character was able to join guilds after a while. After deciding between the three different guilds, the character was forced through some initiation quests. What I liked about the guild initiation is that there were several guilds to pick from, and so all kinds of different initiation quests. It makes for more replayability and gives some more “personality” to the different guilds. Reward: getting to learn different spells for that character.
    In the Nightwatch quests, two of your party’s character join the Nightwatch. This gives you the player the opportunity to explore the city and some surrounding maps during the night with those two. I enjoyed it, because it gave some time to shine to specific characters and as such you learned more about them. There were night-specific monsters, as well as a backalley/blackmarket that was only open during the night. The more quests you completed the higher your rank got in the Nightwatch.

The portrait quests from Edolie. Basically you come across a travelling painter in (nearly?) each town. He always draws a party member (ignoring the main character), after which he shows the very beautiful portraits. Nearing the end of the game, you can finally find the painter at his home, which he turned into a museum, where you can look through the art again. And he finally paints the main character (that is if you don’t have the extra party member, otherwise he paints her). I was and am totally in love with the beautiful art in Edolie and I quite enjoyed the banter each time the main character tried to get her picture painted.
    Somehow this ended up much longer than it needed to be. Woops. :aswt:

So to recap I like quests that involve specific characters, those that open up new areas and those where you have to make a choice (that influences the story).

12. Failivrin

Failivrin Final Frontiersman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @lokirafael I found the Gravity Rush missions much more entertaining than the story quest, since you're exercising your powers in a more condensed, fast paced environment with clear goals. The intention often is not just to meet the goals but learn how master the unique mechanics. Some other games have quests like that; Dirge of Cerberus for example was much better for the bonus content.

13. Philosophus Vagus

Philosophus Vagus The drunken bird dog of rpg maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hmm, one of my favorites was actually from an rpgmaker game (a demo of one at least, I don't think it has been released fully yet, it was one I beta-tested once) but I cannot remember what the game was called. It was one of the first side quests you could do, in the starter town. This npc wanted you to hunt wolves and collect their incisors so that he could make a necklace out of them to impress a girl or something. You could either do this and he'd pay you, offer to help him do it and he'd accompany you as a guest party member for a while, or refuse.

The coolest part about it was how the rest of the town reacted to what you did, if you just got the teeth for him to pay for (the default choice because unless you avoided battles on the way into town you likely already had the items needed in your inventory) the next time you returned to the town you could find the girl he wanted to impress at the front gate and she'd give you another quest to go and look for the guy who gave you the first quest, because it turns out that the local farmers saw his wolf-teeth necklace and wanted to hire him on to dispose of the Alpha wolf and chase the pack away from their herds after seeing how good he was at hunting them, and not wanting to admit he was a sham in front of her he accepted...at the end of this quest you find his corpse in the wolf den. If you chose to help him do the task himself, those farmers give you the quest to hunt down the alpha instead (which was identical to the quest she gave you except that he's hanging out in town with the girl instead of dead in the wolf's den when you go there) and you actually get a nice reward accessory at the end (if he died the girl just walks off into her house without a word once you report his fate). I love quests like this because they actually make you think about what you are doing and allow you to even do irresponsible, and sometimes even reprehensible things if you just accept all quests and treat them like an A-B checklist of things to do.

Another good example in this vein is the Carnal Sins quest in the Witcher 3, where you are tracking a serial killer. If you don't pay attention to all of the clues along the way than the killer can actually trick you, as he will at some point in the investigation realize you are tracking him and change his modus operandi in a way that at first seems like he's getting a little bold and careless, but in reality is just him framing another man for his crimes by arranging for you to stumble upon him during some fairly reprehensible activities that utilize some of the same tools that the killer uses on his victims, making it appear at first glance that you've just caught the killer in the act. You act emotional and run him through with a sword and the real killer gets to keep killing, while you go about your way thinking you've done your job, only to be called out when you later return to the city by your friend who is pissed at you because you said you'd avenged his girl's assault, yet murders in the town continue after you leave.

Most developers don't seem to like making quests like this, because they feel players will rage if they make the wrong choice and miss out on prestige or awards. I don't understand that perspective honestly, I mean, almost no side quest in any game ever actually gives you a reward that is actually important to you in the grand scheme of things, for me the fact that the game trusts me enough to decide how to handle things myself rather than leading me by the hand like a toddler crossing the street makes me happy, and the thrill of figuring out the right way to proceed is a better reward than anything else the game might give me in the first place. Even when I make the wrong choice and fudge things up, as long as the signs are there and I can look back and see where I went wrong I actually prefer that and getting nothing because I screwed up to being lead around by the hand every quest with markers and single objectives and just go-fetch-kill being the epitome of all quests repeated ad infinitum 50 times over with different items to fetch and monsters to kill being the only discernible difference between each of them.

14. Dark Horseman

Dark Horseman NPC Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Loyalty quests are usually the most memorable to me - especially if there's a good buildup of intrigue to it. Like Morrigan from Dragon Age: Origins alludes to her mother's ancient tome pretty much right when you meet her - so you're curious about it the entire game. Or for JRPGs in particular, it's pretty epic when you finally forge Frog's Masamune which he alluded to 10 hours earlier in the game.

15. starlight dream

starlight dream Loving life...One dream at a time Veteran

First Language:
    EN, EL, FR
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Gave this some thought and my favorite quests are from my favorite games. The quests are what made the games so entertaining, although they had other fun things going on as well.

- Quests where a new party member is added.
    I'm thinking specifically of Baldur's Gate. Each time a character joined the party he had his own "mission" he wanted to complete. He joined for the hero to assist him.
    In one example Minsk is willing to join you, if you agree to save his sorceress-partner who is kidnapped. If you succeed she joins you too (the pair is inseparable). However the two characters have an arch-enemy the wizard Edwin, who can also join your party. If you take Edwin in first, Minsk doesn't join you at all. He could even battle your party instead.
    The other fun part was that if you delayed to complete a character quest, he would remind you of the mission. If too much time passes & you haven't completed it, the character leaves your party.
    I enjoyed these quests because they added interest in visiting towns and dungeons.
    And fulfilling them would impact who your party members are, and the strength of your team by consequence.

- Side Quests and Fetch Quests
    I like them because they break from the "battle-mode" which I'm not overly fond of.
    Fetch quests give an incentive to explore an area and require me to pay attention to what and who's on the map.

- Special Tasks
    Catching chocobos, raising a farm... Anything that isn't necessary but helps you create items to boost your stats is fun. There's a randomness involved which personnalizes the game a bit.
    In Breath of Fire 2 (I think it was 2), there's a house that's infested with strong bugs. If you manage to defeat them, then the house becomes the hero's house, where the party hangs out, and the decor improves.
    A fun reward for completing some tough opponents.

- Extra Dungeon
    In Lufia 2 there is the Gruberik dungeon. It's a mini-game. The dungeon is randomly generated each time you enter it. And there's a total of 50 (100?) floors. If you complete the last floor you get cool rewards. But the dungeon is TOUGH (you enter it with no equipment & must find weapons, armors, spells along your way). I don't want to describe all the rules but it's super fun for replayability. I have a save permanently there so I can give it another shot once in a while :))
    A cool treat, where you can gain better weapons and armour and it breaks from the "necessary" adventures. :kaojoy: