Your Favorite VST Plugins

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by Shake0615, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Shake0615

Shake0615 Reanimator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So what music plugins do you guys use when creating your own music for RPG Maker? I just started out using Cubase 7 recently and want to pick some of your brains on what your favorite VSTs were for orchestral arrangements and see if anyone knew any good electric guitar/bass plugins for battle music.

2. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Impact Soundwork's Shreddage (used in Native Instrument's Kontakt 5) for both Guitar and Bass :)

McTricky likes this.
  3. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Pretty much all the stuff I use is powered by Kontakt. I own Kontakt Ultimate from Native Instruments. My standouts being Massive, Guitar Rig, all of the pianos, all of the drum kits, Battery, and Session Horns. Oh, and Damage and Kinetic Metal are pretty freaking cool, too. 

I love Embertone. All of the VSTs I own from them are really nice, but the strings are definitely a huge standout. I need to pick up the viola still but I use the violin and cello anytime I use strings which is almost always. They can be solo or ensemble and it just offers a ton of control over the instrument, including bow placement. So it's easy to make that violin a fiddle. 

Shreddage 2 (haven't tired IBZ) is a pretty great guitar. Especially once you start slapping Guitar Rig on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  4. Shake0615

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Would I have to buy any other Kontakt products in order to use Guitar Rig Pro or Shreddage in Cubase?

5. Madarius

Madarius Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I use fl studio nexus and gladiator i dont fit in lol

6. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    For Shreddage Guitar you're okay with the free Kontakt Player, but for Bass you need the full version of Kontakt 5.  Guitar Rig is a standalone plugin.

Honestly though, I'd wait a bit, Native Instruments usually does a nice xmas sale and there may be a new Komplete coming out on time for that too.  Komplete is nearly all of their products in two big bundles, regular and Ultimate.  It's very good value for money if you can afford it, it contains everything you'd need as a composer and all of their products will work in Cubase.

Shake0615 likes this.
  7. Shake0615

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the tip!

8. ♥ azura ♥

♥ azura ♥ Solitary Songstress Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I use FL Studio as well, and I also use Nexus since I make a lot of electronic music aside from game soundtracks.

Kontakt is quite good from what I've heard it used in, but personally I use Symphonic Orchestra by EWQL and Pianissimo by Acoustica. I don't use too much guitar, so I have no opinion on guitar VSTs. I've used quite a few good free VST's over the years as well, for example Old Music Box and Overture by DSK.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2015
  9. rcamus

rcamus Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    If you want an "Old School" JRPG sound (FF8 and beyond) without having to use those soundfonts, I recommend using the Garritan Personal Orchestra. It sounds in between real and not real to me, which works well in the genre. I wrote an entire JRPG OST using GPO4 and it was very much fitting! AND cheap.

As for Guitars, the Garritan acoustic guitar gives you that midi guitar sound pretty well. If you want a more realistic one though, check out the East West Guitars (from Gypsy, and Ministry of Rock)

As for Bass, the Kontakt ones are good for this purpose, but I'm particularly fond of my Ilya Efimov Fretless Bass. 

10. Secret Machines

Secret Machines Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    for realistic orchestral Spitfire Audio's  Albion and Sable, BML

Embertone, Cinesamples and 8dio are great companies too 

Reverb QL Spaces - Works great and is idiot proof and quick

If you don't already have it get the:

Pocket Blakus (Solo Cello) it's free and amazing to layer in

Spitfire under the "Spitfire labs" section also has lot's of very nice 3 dollarish instruments like:

Peel Guitar

Soft Piano

Kalimba

Toy Piano

Dulcimer

Nylon Guitar

Seriously for $20 bucks you can add some mad diversity that's quality.

This is also a treasure trove of freebies:

http://vi-control.net/community/threads/important-all-vi-freebie-contributions-here.27876/

Sample Modeling Brass(I haven't used) but this guy used it in this song(He rescored a recent Star Wars trailer with all VST instruments (except for the Oboe) he said):  It's inspiring nonetheless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff0QZ9-YM4E

11. .Gage

.Gage Pizza Day, Every Day Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Kontakt with 8dio patches are super nice for anything you're doing, Addictive Drums 2 is beyond the best drum package in the world, Massive is really good for some sound design type stuff I like doing, Lazysnake is great for rhode pianos, I use Rovee for pitch shifting, really helps for monster screams and such.

12. AceTheMad

AceTheMad Village Madman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Musescore. I know...I'm really...Lame...

13. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sampler libraries or VSTs?

For Instrument VST's, SampleTank, Kontakt and EZ Drummer.  Effects VST's, EZMix and BReverb.

Sample libraries...too many to name, but my favs are most of the stuff from Cinesamples, Orchestral Tools Berlin series, ImpactSoundworks Shreddage and Rhapsody and a few others.  The EWQL stuff is good, but I've moved on from it.  Same thing with Garritan.  I WANT VSL...but that'll take some time.  Hopefully soon.  That matrix editor looks sexy. =d

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2015
  14. Bakuda

Bakuda The Music Man Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I do most everything in Logic Pro with EWQL Symphonic Orchestra.  I just bought Symphonic Choirs but haven't had a chance to use it. 

♥ azura ♥ likes this.