Your Favourite Anime (can be more than one)

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by DestinyBattle, Aug 19, 2017.

1. DestinyBattle

DestinyBattle Final Fantasy Nut Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    This might be the wrong place to put this, and if it is, I'm sure the moderators will move it, or close this down. In any case, I wanted to make this thread, because I've been really interested in the process of animation, particularly in Japan, and even more particularly, in the 1990s, and for this: I would like to tell you guys my favourite anime, and I would like to know yours.

1. Akame ga Kill! (2014)
    [​IMG]

Akame ga Kill's premise is, an Assassin group called "Night Raid" working with the resistance in order to overthrow the corrupt regimen of the Empire.

I know this is going to incur the wrath of manga enthusiasts, but hear me out, lol. This is purely down to nostalgia, as this is my first encounter with anime. (Yeah, even before I watched Dragon Ball Z) I don't think this anime is the best, far from it actually. But, I feel the most attached to this one, purely for nostalgic reasons. The characters in this anime are entertaining to watch and I find myself going back to watch this anime again and again. I think I watched this anime like, 25 times. I'm not joking, seriously. XD But, yeah, I do really love this anime and it takes my Number 1 spot.

2. Neon Genesis Evangelion (1995)
    [​IMG]

Neon Genesis Evangelion's premise is, an alien species (called Angels) are attacking humanity. It's the first attack in 15 years, and the only source of protection humanity has is the Evangelions, powerful mecha that are design specifically to take out the angels. Only 13-14 year old kids can pilot Evangelion though, and the story takes us through their journey.

This may not be my favourite anime, but I think it's the best *I have* ever seen, for many reasons. 1) It was the birth of original animated series. What I mean by this, is that Eva (short for Evangelion), was the first anime episodic series that was created, not based from manga, or any original source material already. (With exception to some from Studio Ghibli, but that was purely to sell merchandise) 2) The themes explored in Evangelion are dark and realistic. The tone of this series is very dark, but also realistic at the same time, which allows us to connect to the characters on a personal level. Take Shinji Ikari for example. (He's the main character) He has no "heroic" qualities, in fact, some my view Shinji as supposed to be a side-character with no significance whatsoever. He is not a "hero". He is not a "good guy". He is simply human. Every character in this series is "human". There are no protagonists, antagonists or any defining role in the story. They are all human. I HIGHLY suggest you give this a watch.

3. Free! (2013)
    [​IMG]

Free!'s premise is, 4 high school boys form a swimming club to compete in competitions, because they love to swim.

I'll tell you this. I've never been that excited to watch guys swim in my entire life. Free was recommended to me by a friend, and at first glance, I thought it would be sheep. (Since this "friend" was my crush, I was much forgiving than I was for Eva, THAT's for sure XD) The way the anime makes people watching, actually care about a relatively boring premise, is amazing. Takes a lot of talent to do that. I also love that the series explores homosexuality to an extent, I hope this appears in the second season (Free! - Eternal Summer) which I am about to watch lol. I also love how the main male characters have female names, and the main female characters have male names. Makes you think about how society labels people, right?! (or maybe, it's just because the mangaka wanted to, I dunno lol)

But yeah, those are my Top 3 anime. They probably will most likely change, but the only constant thing in life is change, so I think that should be excused. Please let me know what your favourite anime is/are. It doesn't have to be 1 or 3 like I did, it can be more, if you want. :)

Attached Files:

KayZaman likes this.
  2. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Since this is a PG-13 forum, I will not post here my list of favorite anime...

3. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My favourite Anime changes so frequently. lol.

But one's I tend to go back to are;

1. Daiguard - Mecha! In real world situations! Hilarious and heartwarming and amazing.
    2. Saiyuki - Demons, and the main characters are amazing.
    3. DragonballZ Abridged - Because it's awesome (I know it doesn't really count, but still, epic)
    4. The forst two seasons of Yu Yu Hakusho - Because Kuwabara and Hiei rock!

I'm seeing a theme here... well, I always did say I was a tomboy. lol

rpgdreamer and DestinyBattle like this.
  4. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    BOI. Everyone seems to like Akame ga Kill so much, but whenever it's described to me, it just sounds like anime Game of Thrones. XD
    Anyway, here are my favourites.

1. Your Lie in April (Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso)
    http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire3/40e6c04e05ce1efb08815b870a6d39331412797514_full.jpg

Shigatsu is a music anime about a boy (Kousei Arima) who's stopped playing piano after the death of his mother. But then he encounters a violinist (Kaori Miyazono) who manages to change his outlook on music, and has transformed him to be a more emotional musician rather than a robot.
    For me, I like it because I can relate to Kousei A LOT personality-wise, every character is well thought out and rather likable, and the playing scenes... OOH. I'd be standing on my toes every single time. It also works in colours -- just like I do. It's also inspirational as heck, with AMAZING quotes.

2. Fullmetal Alchemist (Original)
    https://myanimelist.cdn-dena.com/images/anime/10/75815.jpg

Yes, I picked the original, for the simple reason that I've never watched Brotherhood. XD It focuses on Edward and Alphonse Elric who have tried to bring their dead mother back to life through alchemy, which results in a catastrophe. The rest of the series follows them as they learn more about alchemy and its right and wrong uses, as well as the side effects of their experiment.

OK, I'll admit this is probably due to nostalgia, but I just love it because it can be so creepy at times, and so sweet at others. You also learn the motivations of the enemies and watch some slowly become good, which kind of gives a bit of a spine to them. Plus, the art style is simple, but can capture the mood so well.

5. Arisa

Arisa definitely a tsundere Veteran

First Language:
    English/Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Takes deep breath

1. Lucky Star
    It's everything I look for in moe! Silly, cute and nonsensical. :kaojoy:

2. Love Live! Series
    It reminds me of K-On but it's got more of a serious side, plus Ruby is best gri- Nevermind, PG-13 forum. xD

3. Yuru Yuri
    It's moe, it's yuri, and it's silly and cute. What else can I ask for?

4. YuYu Hakusho
    To be fair, I haven't watched this series since I was about 10 :kaoswt2: but it was a pretty good one! I'm not really into shounen anymore, but this one was fairly decent, wasn't ridiculously LOOOONG, and had a pretty good dub.

5. Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
    I can't go into too much detail because PG-13 site, but it's like if South Park and the Powerpuff Girls had a child.

6. K-On!
    To be honest I prefer Love Live, but this one is a pretty good one too in terms of musical moe.

7. One Piece
    Look, I was about 8 or 9, okay? Honestly it's not such a bad anime, the fanservice did take over the actual plot of the story though. (See what I mean, plo- I'm sorry PG-13 site)

8. Shaman King
    Again, this is something I saw as a little kid, but I'm putting it lower because I find it a bit repetitive nowdays, and the dub is beyond terrible.

9. Show By Rock!
    I just love music moe don't I? ._. But it wasn't the best thing I've seen, but nowhere near the worst.

10. Is It Wrong To Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
    Can't go into detail, PG-13 site.

6. KayZaman

KayZaman Brother-Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English & Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not interested with anime anymore, but I like classic anime. @DestinyBattle , I like Evangelion because of the story. Every episodes tell us what really is, what's lessons and motivation they gave. Especially, the final episode of EVA. But the saddest was The End of Evangelion movie.

Great Teacher Onizuka. Seriously...a gangster become a teacher?! Ridicolous...but really fun but not for kids.

...........that's it. I'm had enough with anime.

[I just gonna make my own anime......in my imagination] EDIT

Amarok and DestinyBattle like this.
  7. DestinyBattle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Arisa likes this.
  8. DestinyBattle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    HexMozart88 and Arisa like this.
  9. TakeHomeTheCup

TakeHomeTheCup Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Bungou Stray Dogs.

10. KayZaman

First Language:
    English & Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    DestinyBattle likes this.
  11. Arisa

Arisa definitely a tsundere Veteran

First Language:
    English/Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @KayZaman Nico is best gril from the first series

12. KayZaman

First Language:
    English & Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    'gril' Hehehehehe!

Arisa likes this.
  13. Kyoku

Kyoku Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    DestinyBattle and Arisa like this.
  14. The Mighty Palm

The Mighty Palm Resident Palm Tree Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    *guitar riff*

ONE PAAAAAAAAWWWNCH

15. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Interesting title....

Arisa likes this.
  16. Amarok

Amarok Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For me Texhnolyze will always be the pinnacle of anime as a medium, probably the most depressing anime ever too.
    On the other end of the scale i would add Kemono Friends, yes its an anime with crappy 3d animation made by 10 people and no budget, but its so... perfect in its own way.

DestinyBattle likes this.
  17. Kemsyn

Kemsyn I'm not crazy, I just don't give a f... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For nostalgia's sake probably Ninja Scroll, Akira and Fist of the North Star.
    More recently my favs are Gantz, Parasyte and Psycho Pass.

consolcwby likes this.
  18. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Blaaaah!!! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Berserk, the old one not the newer one.

I really enjoyed Cowboy Beepop and Full Metal Alchemist.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - I forgot about that one, it was good.

Ghost in the Shell - the original, 2nd gig, & stand alone complex

Aniknk and DestinyBattle like this.
  19. trouble time

trouble time Bearer of the Word Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    1. Jojo's bizarre adventure: imo the best battle manga ever made the onlu one that comes close is Hokuto no Kr

2. Serial Expirements Lain: I saw this as a kid and hated it, but as i got older i came to appreciated the layered themes and mind bending storyline

3.Miss Kobayashis Dragon Maid: As far as im concerned there hasnt been a better anime all year. My #3 spot tends to change to whatever i last saw that i really liked, Hokuto no Ken or Kill la Kill easily could have gone here for the melodramatic soap opera with huge dudes punching one another or the very deep themes that require you to look beyond the surface in both. Oh, and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

consolcwby likes this.
  20. Lornsteyn

Lornsteyn Sleepy Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Ghost in the Shell
    Berserk
    Samurai Champloo
    One Piece
    Hellsing
    These are just 5 of them.
    I hate ranking lists, which means there are many more Animes I like.

Aniknk, DestinyBattle and KayZaman like this.