robhr

come on die young
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bit of a music nerd myself. I always love discussing people's taste. Particularly if they have underground taste.

So what are your favourite musicians? Mine, in order, are...

Boards of Canada, Tim Hecker, Jetone, Steve Reich, Sonic Youth, Bardo Pond, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Autechre, 65daysofstatic, Radiohead, Philip Jeck, Saxon Shore, Oceansize, John Cage, Biosphere, The Doors, Mono, Keith Fullerton Whitman, Stars of the Lid, Fennesz, Max Richter, Aereogramme, Bowery Electric, Mogwai, Surface of Eceon, Massive Attack, Love, Daturah, Deathprod, Jessamine, William Basinski, Boris, Jakob, Dredg, Explosions in the Sky, Blueneck, UNKLE, The Cooper Temple Clause, Circle, Haujobb, The Streets, Wolf Eyes, Sasha, Deaf Center, Jesu, The Evpatoria Report, Acid Mothers Temple, Interpol, 1 Mile North, Envy, Maybeshewill, Hybrid, DJ Shadow, Circulatory System, Hadouken!, Crippled Black Phoenix, 35007, Mirror, Asian Dub Foundation, Swans, Encre, Sunn O))), The Velvet Underground, Hood, Burial, My Bloody Valentine, Venetian Snares, Jimi Hendrix, Oval, The Incredible String Band, Suicide, Bethany Curve, M83, múm, The Beatles, A Silver Mt. Zion, The Rolling Stones, Slowdive, Refused, Don't Look Back, Isis, Murcof, Grails, Plastikman, Coil, World's End Girlfriend, Hope of the States, 13th Floor Elevators, Hallucinogen, Underground Resistance, Tricky, Idiot Pilot, Spacemen 3, Susumu Yokota, Fleetwood Mac, :zoviet*france:, Red Sparowes, Gregor Samsa, Alva Noto, Logh, Monolake, Curve, Gas, Ben Frost, Black Heart Procession, VNV Nation, Dälek, Brian Eno, The Zombies, Ladytron, Olivia Tremor Control, Tod Dockstader, Jefferson Airplane, Pendulum, Terry Riley, Redjetson, Laura, Kashiwa Daisuke, Tool, Rosetta, Can, Ryoji Ikeda, Clogs, Portishead, Empusae, Röyksopp, Bathyscaphe, MGR, Pan Sonic, Magyar Posse, Minsk, Bossk, Gifts From Enola, Airiel, Asobi Seksu, Earth, The Moody Blues, Loop, Jóhann Jóhannsson, Bola, Starflyer 59, The Orb, Cult of Luna, Vladislav Delay, Up-C Down-C Left-C Right-C ABC + Start, Christopher Bissonnette, Sneaker Pimps, Muslimgauze, Alec Empire, My Vitriol, Queens of the Stone Age, Circle, Yndi Halda, Opitope, Iron & Wine, The Samuel Jackson Five, Joy Division, Caspian, The Flaming Lips, Spiritualized, Donovan, Cocteau Twins, Aidan Baker, Fbcfabric & Reindeer, Sweek, Love Spirals Downwards, The United States of America, Aarktica, Ride, Shellac, Buffalo Springfield, Kyuss, Pelican, The Rapture, Infantjoy, Björk, Kid Koala, DJ Spooky, Guitaro, Slint, Amon Tobin, This Mortal Coil, Mute Math, Assemblage 23, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Sigur Rós, Amusement Parks on Fire, Leftfield, LCD Soundsystem, King Crimson, Alison's Halo, Arovane, Do Make Say Think, Aphex Twin, iLiKETRAiNS, Labradford, Auburn Lull, Shpongle, Nick Drake, Meanwhile Back in Communist Russia, Kim Hiorthøy, Concord Dawn, Arcade Fire, Astral Projection, The Ecstasy of Saint Theresa, The Who, Beck, Serge Gainsbourg, The Mars Volta, Pink Floyd, The Verve, The Telescopes, Deftones, !!!, Stereolab, Brainiac, Infected Mushroom, Rage Against the Machine, The Guess Who, cLOUDDEAD, The Beach Boys, Dead Can Dance, Adorable, Paul Oakenfold, Bob Dylan, ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, Tortoise, Enon, Apoptygma Berzerk, Low, Cream, Buck 65, Bailter Space, Juno Reactor, All Natural Lemon & Lime Flavors, September Malevolence, Paatos, Merzbow, Gorillaz, The Timeout Drawer, Ben Folds Five, Blind Mr. Jones, The Smashing Pumpkins, Animal Collective, The Postal Service, The Byrds, Readymade, The Beta Band, Linkin Park, Eminem

My favourite musical genres, in order of favourite, are... Ambient/Sound Art, Post-Rock, Psychedelia, IDM, Shoegaze, "Post-Metal," Post-Hardcore, Space Rock, Neoclassical, Minimal Techno. On the other side of my musical taste... 60s Psychedelic Pop. On the other other side of my taste... Psytrance, Goa Trance, Psychill.

I'm post-post-indie.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
WHOA, OK. LOL, I'm not reading all of these.
But I'm a music nerd too, so here's some of my garbage.
Depeche Mode, New Order, Tears for Fears, The Smiths (occasionally), Green Day, The Killers, Avenged Sevenfold, Steampianist, MOTHY (Akuno-P) Kikuo, Masato Nakamura, Magnus Paulsson, and a whole lot of other video game music stuff that I'm not going to go into, AKFG, and a whole bunch of other anime artists as well, and the names escape me at the moment. You'll notice how I have no top 40 garbage on here.

robhr

come on die young
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Depeche Mode is pretty great. And the rest of 'em are good too.

But I've never really given Avenged Sevenfold enough of a listen. I probably should. Since getting in to post-hardcore I've developed an appreciation for emo and "screamo."

Plus I listened to a bit of emo back when I was indie rock.

And respect for no top 40 stuff. For the record I'm embarrassed by the last two names on my list. They're guilty pleasures.

KayZaman

Brother-Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English & Malay
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nobou Uematsu - Final Fantasy francise (many genre)
Mick Gordon and Bobby Prince - DOOM '93 and DOOM 2016 (metal)
Jake Kaufman - too many video game songs (Shovel Knight, etc.)
Hans Zimmer - Crysis 2 (also The Dark Knight)
Anamanaguchi - Scott Pilgrim (video game music fx + rock)
A Day to Remember - djent rock
Vince DiCola - Transformers The Movie '87 (rock tech synth)
Every NES video game songs - Contra, Choujin Sentai Jetman, etc.

And myself. I made songs if no option.

futrchamp

Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
From my personal music library (mostly prog metal/math rock with some hip hop, EDM, jazz, pop etc.)

• Akira Complex
  • American Football
  • Animals as Leaders
  • Ariana Grande
  • Childish Gambino
  • CHON
  • Dan James Griffin
  • Destiny Potato
  • Elliott Smith
  • fusq
  • ichika
  • Intervals
  • Jacob Collier
  • John Coltrane
  • Justin Timberlake
  • Kanye West
  • Kendrick Lamar
  • MF DOOM
  • Opeth
  • Outkast
  • Periphery
  • Plini
  • Polyphia
  • Skyhaven
  • Snail's House
  • Snarky Puppy
  • Sufjan Stevens
  • This Town Needs Guns
  • Tiny Moving Parts
  • Totorro
  • Tricot

Darkanine

...In my thoughts and in my dreams...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My favorite band is probably "Blind Guardian". I'm a huge fan of fantasy, so Blind Guardians "Lord of the Rings" themed music, ranging from Heavy Metal to...other kinds of metal (I'm not a music buff, forgive me :p) is just great to listen to, and it generated some of my favorite ideas for storytelling. My favorite songs from them being: "The Hobbit", "Time Stands Still on The Iron Hill", "In The Forest/The Bards Song" and "Mirror Mirror"

Aside from that, I quite like listening to the "Steven Universe" soundtrack while I'm working. It's easy listening, catchy and helps me get through revising a stupid map for the 4th time that day. My favorite Steven Universe songs are: "We Are The Crystal Gems (Extended)", "Just a Comet", "(I Love) Both of you", "It's Over, Isn't it?", "Here Comes A Thought" and "What's The Use in Feeling Blue?"

I'm also quite fond of a few songs from the "Adventure Time" soundtrack. It's not as consistently good as Steven Universes but its better songs are even better in my opinion. Some of my favorites are: "Everything Stays (Olivia Olson/Marceline ver)", "Come along with me.../Island Song" and of course "What am I to you?"

On the eastern side of things. I love Kōji Wada's stuff (rest in peace, man), especially "Brave Heart", "Biggest Dreamer" and "Butter-Fly".

TakeHomeTheCup

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Wow, you guys have a lot... Especially the OP.
I guess August Burns Red for me.

padr81

Guy whose game is taking too long.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
As a kid I loved Metallica, then I absolutely hated them when they turned crap in the early 90's, than hated them even more, now I tolerate them. Their first 3 albums are 3 of my top 20 albums of all time.

Off the top of my head with regards other stuff

Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy, Megadeth.
the ridiculous guitar widdly, widdly stuff ala Satriani, Govan, Vai etc...
Film composers like Elfman, Williams, Shore etc...
some Irish traditional stuff
Classical music especially Chopin (again the technical stuff).
and I like european cheesy power metal like Stratovarious, Sonata Arctica too.

Generally I like most types of music but that would be the bulk of my listening. For some reason I can't stand hip hop and the uber amounts of compression on modern music mean I can't really listen to most modern pop or metal either.

@Darkanine - Blind Guardian are a great band. A Night at the Opera is one of my favourtie albums.

Weird but I just realised two of my favourite albums are called A Night at the Opera. Blind Guardian and Queen.

Last edited:

Alarkus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Wayyyy too much to name. Honestly I'm not too picky about music. If it's good, I'll groove to it. Some of my all-time favorite bands are Gorillaz, Daft Punk, The Beatles, Rhapsody of Fire, AC/DC, Sigur Ros. The list can literally go on forever.

Verdelite

Wannabe Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm it's kinda difficult since I listen to lots different genres. But I think if I have to list my favourite artists/composers, it would be:
  • Nobuo Uematsu, Keiichi Okabe, Yuki Kajiura, Andrew Lloyd Webber
  • Versailles, the GazettE, SID, VALSHE, ONE OK ROCK, and anything Satoshi Hino sings
  • Rise Against, Three Days Grace, Linkin Park, Imagine Dragons, Skillet, Egypt Central, Sum 41, Zico Chain, Rhapsody of Fire
  • Nirvana, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Buckethead, Genesis
  • and all kinds of Disney Songs :D
Seriously, Disney songs are amazing. Nothing better than starting your day by yelling "LET'S GET DOWN TO BUSINESS" and waking the entire house with my marvellous singing voice. :kaopride:

DISCLAIMER: I do not have a marvellous singing voice.

LaFlibuste

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I like a rather eclectic variety of genres, depending on how I feel.

• Somewhere near the top would likely be early jazz, New Orleans music / swing. Let's just name Louis Armstrong for the sake of it but I could name a bunch of musicians/bands.
  • When I feel like I need myself a boost I like some Streetlight Manifesto. I like 3rd wave ska (punk-ska) to some extent but I find most bands a bit lacking in huh... let's call it musical depth. Streelight is not one of those, thought, the arrangements are rich and highly awesome.
  • I also like Frank Zappa a lot. My favorite album at the moment is Make a Jazz Noise Here.
  • Aside from Streetlight, the most metal stuff I listen to occasionally is Liquid Tension Experiment. It's pretty musical/melodic so it works for me.
  • Other varied regular bands I listen to include Mr Bungle, Sigur Ros, Cat Empire, Pink Martini, Tim Minchin, Nobuo Uematsu's music, some Bach...

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Y'all don't want a list from me. It'll take too long lol. Basically I listen to a lot of music (my dad was a DJ for KATZ back in the day look it up lol) so it's easier for me to list what I DON'T listen to (genre wise): country classical and christian lol. Everything else I have a bit here and there. lol

robhr

come on die young
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good to see all the love for Sigur Rós. "( )" is my favourite album of theirs.

There's probably some post-rock and some dream pop that you guys would like.

For starters I would say check out Blueneck. Oh and múm.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In no particular order:
Tesla, Unkle, Wax Tailor, Chevelle, Oldish Trivium, Breaking Benjamin, Old Metallica, The Pretty Reckless, Roger Waters, Bitter:Sweet, Falling in Reverse, Porcupine Tree, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Virgin Marys.

robhr

come on die young
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Caught Roger Waters doing "The Wall" live some years back. It was a good show. Tied with Paul McCartney for best concert I've been to.

mogwai

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Discord ^ ?

Are we only just a stepping stone for somebody else's throne? la la la ...

umbralshadows

the silks angel
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yin yang twins
paramore
ringo aoba
HIMEKA
usher
linkin park
dead can dance
nicki manaj
celtic woman

are a few singers/bands i like

robhr

come on die young
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Dead Can Dance is a good call.

umbralshadows

the silks angel
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i have an aerial silks routine i do ta dead can dance's song "host of seraphim" :kaopride: so beautiful rite ta my soul

robhr

come on die young
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah neat. I had to look up "aerial silks" but yeah that seems like the kind of thing that would work well with Dead Can Dance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The main character of the book)
Things you can say about your rpg maker project but not your bf/gf: I'm not super committed but it's fun to play around with it.
putting a puzzle in my game that BSODs the player's computer if they complete it
I finally got a book out the door after seven years of nothing \^-^/ Now if I can get a game out the door too, that'd be great...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltrone