Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I meant what RPG games which you like much that you still remember many things about it. I would like to know, so I play and learn more about why it is a great game. Thank you for taking the time to help me.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i love puzzle adventure games, one of the best games out there is zelda series, link to the past, between words, ocarina of time and the nicest of all, majora's mask =) even though there isn't much puzzle in it, i love its great adventure.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Majora's Mask like this:

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Zelda franchise (played Ocarina, Majora's mask, Wind waker, Twilight princess, and link to the past)
Final Fantasy franchise (played FF1 to FF7, FF9, FF13-2, FF15, FFTA 1 and 2, FFT war of lion)
Tales of franchise (played Phatasia, Symphonia 1 & 2, Abyss, Vesperia, Graces F, Xilla 1 & 2, Zestiria, Berseria)
Golden Sun (played all 3)
Mario & Luigi superstar saga, and partners in time

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kupotepo All the ones I previously name, but especially the Tales series and the Final Fantasy series.

DamianCastaway

Notepad++ Warrior
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I fondly remember an RPG for the Playstation called The Legend of Dragoon. I only had Disc 1 but played it over and over so many times... Good times...

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How has Chrono Trigger not been mentioned in this thread yet? Oh well, it has been now. I often wonder what a remastered Chrono Trigger with higher resolution art would look like.

I fondly remember an RPG for the Playstation called The Legend of Dragoon. I only had Disc 1 but played it over and over so many times... Good times...
That was a good game. One of my favorite PS1 RPGs actually.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I had a lot of fun with an obscure RPG called Operation Darkness on the Xbox360. It's set in WW2, where the Axis forces have dragons and vampires at their disposal, and England has werewolves and magicians. Utterly ridiculous, but I liked it. And it's probably the only game to date where you get to cast Fireball at a Tank.

A couple other lesser known PS2 ones:
Mana Klemia
Ar tonelico

3DS:
-Devil Survivor 1 and 2.
-Fire Emblem Awakening. If you haven't played a Fire Emblem game it can be a good introduction to them too as you can turn off the permadeath.

And finally, Persona 3 or 4 for the PS2. Persona 5 isn't too bad if you have a Ps3 or PS4 .

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i totally forgot gold sun series 1 through 3, nice game nad nice story on them, there are much more I like though,
another great game is Radian History on the 3DS, Megaman StarForce series as well =)

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i totally forgot gold sun series 1 through 3, nice game nad nice story on them, there are much more I like though
I also like that franchise, but I felt like the third one wasn't up to par to the previous two games, especially the first one (which was so amazing).

ufomonster

THAT kid
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
wow, what a good question! i've got a couple games that mean a whole lot to me! and since you want to know what makes them great specifically...

pmd: blue rescue team was really special to me because it was all about helping people. i love that! i had to be like, 7 or 8 when i first played and i was always a kid that enjoyed happy worlds and storylines with dark/sad/Adult Fear elements. i think it was because it was a safe, comfortable way for me to experience real life problems and stressors through fantasy.
a particular memory that stands out to me is when you're forced to go on the run because the townsfolk turn against you. it was really powerful for me at that age, since i was anticipating my school friends getting older, forming cliques, leaving the "weird kid" behind...

another game i loved was dreaming mary! it was made in vx ace and is a perfect example of the kind of games i used to like. cute and friendly on the outside, but with really really dark subject matter! by the time i played this one i was older (it came out when i was 13) and i had gotten tired of the above formula, so i fell in love with games that took that happiness to its logical extreme and manipulated it in a way that played on the player's psyche! (the game contains pretty blatant themes which are very sensitive though, so going into it blind isn't recommended.)

in terms of games i've played more recently lisa: the rpg is absolutely going to be a favorite for the rest of my life. it's everything i've ever wanted in an rpg, particularly the second game, the painful. a dark storyline in a messed up world, but nearly everyone you talk to makes it hilarious! then it completely pulls the rug out from under you when...
...the very person you set out to rescue, your adoptive daughter, rejects you outright, because all your attempts to "save" her completely ruined her idea of what she wanted for her life. all the enemies you've defeated along the way are no longer "enemies you've defeated" but "people you've killed." even your party members that you've worked so hard to build up, you have to kill them in the end. you even have to fight your adopted son, another child you failed and (intentionally or otherwise) abused. all of a sudden, every funny thing in the game becomes much, much darker once you've learned everything about the world of olathe and your character's past... making it TOTALLY WORTH A SECOND PLAYTHROUGH!!! :kaojoy:
just like other games, it subverts a lot of typical rpg tropes this way, but i think it's particularly special because of the gameplay! it's a really harsh world where you're faced with several choices, where people can kill your party members, take your money, your items, your LIMBS, even destroy entire areas of the game, making certain party members completely inaccessible! lisa is 100% a masterpiece and a must-play if the sensitive subject matter isn't something that'll affect you negatively.

other rpgs i recommend and don't really feel like i need to explain: earthbound and undertale

these games all inspired me to write similar stories with an interplay between light and dark, so other people could experience hard times through a safe lens like i was able to!

tl;dr: the games that had the most profound effect on me all share the theme of quirky, cute or friendly worlds that eventually turn on you, because it reflects on the experience of real life without the IRL consequences. they trick you into feeling really powerful human emotions! and i think that's the very best use of a "role-playing" game, and the very thing that makes the genre so important.

Marsigne

Hello There
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Same as @DamianCastaway , and Kingdom Hearts was one that was profound although I never finished. ;)

Giauz_Ragnarock

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
USA English
Primarily Uses
Other
Zelda franchise (played Ocarina, Majora's mask, Wind waker, Twilight princess, and link to the past)
Final Fantasy franchise (played FF1 to FF7, FF9, FF13-2, FF15, FFTA 1 and 2, FFT war of lion)
Tales of franchise (played Phatasia, Symphonia 1 & 2, Abyss, Vesperia, Graces F, Xilla 1 & 2, Zestiria, Berseria)
Golden Sun (played all 3)
Mario & Luigi superstar saga, and partners in time
You have got to play a translated FFIII (Famicom) and FFVI (GBA, PC). Those are two of my favorites.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Eh, ff3 has the worst final dungeon ever though. 2.5 hours to complete it and you cannot save once, and if the final boss uses a certain combo it's redo those last 2.5 hours all over again. Whoever designed that last area should never design another game, ever.

noajb

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@MushroomCake28 Are you planning on playing Final Fantasy X? I love that game's setting and music so much. Everything reminds me of water haha

Anyways, Final Fantasy IX and Persona 4 will always have a special place in my heart. Those games didn't necessarily have the best stories. The reason I remember them so fondly is because of their characters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Imagine after all this time, its RPG Maker MV Ace?:p Even if it has huge improvements, that would just be disappointing somehow xD
Kes
Came up with a good name for something. Checked on internet - device trademark filed in India 2017. Back to the drawing board.
I want to see the Features of the new RPG Maker.. NOW!!
Can't wait for it!
KDS
Check out some gameplay of a game iam working on :)
Me : "Wearing glasses is annoying."
*put out glasses*
Also me : "Keep mistaking 0, 6 and 8."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charles_Chandra