Your Game Genre?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jaypee, Mar 14, 2012.

1. jaypee

jaypee hobbyist Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Hi guys this is my first thread...I know like me you are pretty much very excited about Rpgmaker vx ace which will be available for download a day earlier to those early buyers. I can say that im really confident and aware how flexible this new game maker will be when creating my own game since I own a previous VX along with its cool features and scripting power.

Several kinds of game genres have been created with rpgmaker using just events alone or scripts and this really makes it more interesting right? Some examples would be strategy, platforming, puzzles and much more. Right now im planning to create Ala visual novel game with this maker which fall under the category of "Dating Sim" where my character interacts with different characters and its surrounding... yes I know its supposed to be rpg so what yours? :D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2012
  2. Todd

Todd Game Developer Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm currently finishing up a Fantasy RPG and I'll probably do another one afterwards. Though one point in the future I'm want to make a cyber action-RPG (Megaman BN sorta thing) as well as a Sim RPG/Dating RPG (Similar to animal crossing). To answer your question my only genre so far is Fantasy RPG.

3. Ichi

Ichi Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I traditionally do Fantasy RPG, and though I will have those elements in my Ace project I would want to incorperate some Steampunk elements into it if I can nail down the resources for it. I would love to try my hands on a tatics style game next or maybe even add some elements of sim-building to a project. I have a lot of ideas in that area, just haven't been able to figure out how to incorperate it properly.

4. Knightmare

Knightmare Knight of the Night Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Right now I'll be making a dungeon crawler/JRPG hybrid, on deck I have a Modern mafioso RPG. Eventually I would like to do a steampunk and a tactics game.

5. JumpingGinger

JumpingGinger Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm going to make a modern/future type game depending on what resources I can get a hold of. Mine will be fantasy/action, but I'll probably change my mind when I start making it.

6. Psyker

Psyker Degibeta Team Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm working on a Fantasy RPG at the moment with some futuristic pieces. After this I'm looking at an indirect sequel to this game but am vastly be swayed into either futuristic or steampunk (thanks to Knightmares post on another forum)

I never knew there was so much of a following for steampunk even some of my fellow gamers could give me some valuable insight on it.

7. Reynard Frost

Reynard Frost Designer Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm working on a Fantasy RPG that is half dungeon crawling and half social. I'm a fan of story heavy elements and feelings of destroying enemies, so the two sides of the coin will meld together nicely with what I have in mind.

8. IndigoAir

IndigoAir Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    As seems to be the common thread, I am currently doing a fantasy rpg. Depending on how it ends up turning out I could be expanding it into a series but we will have to see about whether or not that is a realistic goal. Although I do like several other genres I think for designing purposes I will mostly be sticking to rpgs, maybe try out a couple more adventure-based pieces in the future.

9. Rion Requiel

Rion Requiel Twin Raven Studios Veteran

Usually the internet.. in front of my computer :)
    First Language:
    English
    I am working on a Fantasy RPG as well, I hope it goes together well, Sadly I have a 2 person team and all games I have decided to make will be Non-Commercial games since I am not a fan of making people pay for a videogame I made for fun :)

10. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm working on a low magic fantasy stealth action game. Which may or may not ever be finished.

Other than that just, things, I have so many ideas that I have a hard time paying attention to one of them long enough to finish.

11. Reynard Frost

Reynard Frost Designer Member

First Language:
    English
    Low magic fantasy stealth action game screams Game of Thrones to me. Just saying. Not a jibe either, anything that gives me a similar experience to Game of Thrones is a winner in my book.

12. Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel Currently Female~ :3 Member

First Language:
    English
    My primary focus is Steampunk Fantasy. The only difficulty I have with that, sadly, is finding adequate Steampunk Resources as I am, sadly, no spriter. I usually resign myself to medieval fantasy games for the majority of my projects, whilst working on ideas for my steampunk fantasy in the background.

13. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

My current project is, for the most part, standard medieval fantasy. There are a few hints of modern or futuristic technology, but it's not something that's widespread or accessible to the general population. One of the five continents is considered a technological haven and home of inventors, but due to various natural and not-so-natural disasters, the level of technology is currently closer to Steampunk than anything else.

14. DJ-Mitt-Guru

DJ-Mitt-Guru Creative Writer Member

First Language:
    English
    Nice topic for a first thread! I'm planning to focus on a story/visual novel type of game that allows a lot of choice and consequence. Whether the game will have multiple endings or not is still up in the air for me, but I personally enjoy games that offer a lot of freedom and the ability to make the story your own.

Being a teacher, I'd also like to try and create educational games that would get more students involved in a visual style of story, perhaps re-creating classics like Hamlet or Romeo and Juliet to make reading more enjoyable for those who struggle with it (especially old English!).

I'm fairly new to RPG Maker, but have played around with previous versions (RM2K and VX). I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with!

15. WizzyT

WizzyT Slayer of Fades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Its hard to say for our game, We are using a time based system besed around the memories of the main character, as the game progresses and the hero continues to unlock these memories the ability to travel to these locations.

16. jaypee

jaypee hobbyist Veteran

First Language:
    english
    @touchfuzzy:

I swear I've heard that name before!!! anyway was low magic fantasy stealth action game something like dungeon and dragons? loved that kind of game as for having many kind of ideas you are not alone :D . Right now my genre will be life simulating game or dating sim and will try to stick on this one first before I moved with other projects makes things more easier than having to do different kind of genres all together.

@lunarea:

Steam punk is one of my favorite too about standard medieval fantasy one I could relate to that would be Chrono Trigger love that game.

@dj-mitt-guru:

Thank you! im glad to see a fellow story/visual novel game maker here even though this are more geared towards fantasy jrpg's and such. You will be happy and surprised to see how versatile this maker can be and let me know if you have made any game I will be happy to beta test it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012
  17. Quadocky

Quadocky Elbow Greaser Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I intend to work upon a game that invokes the feelings that which existed in classic games such as Breath of Fire.

Though of course I would like to make it more fresh tasting. Considering that games of those years tend to be quite dull in consideration to the writing at least. Then again, the writing style may invoke feelings on its own.

What luck that all the base materials in this program allow for such a game to come about with relative ease. All it needs is effort and sprinkle of magic.

18. AstoXx

AstoXx Subconscious Punmaster Member

First Language:
    Logic
    I'm currently working on an RPG with a light story but hopefully, a lot of depth. I'm setting myself the challenge of using only what's given to me in the database on starting a new project, sample maps and the dungeon generator. An extreme "bare bones" game, really.

After that, I'm really thinking about steampunk, too. Who knew it was so widely loved by the RM community and yet there are so few resources for it? If EB! ever released a Steampunk Material Pack, I'd snap up that junk in a piston pull.

19. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @OP: don't worry, you're not the only one working with RPG Maker and not making an RPG ;) I'm making a dating sim myself, not visual novel style, but Harvest Moon style. There's a lot of genres that RPG Maker can cover, it's a shame we don't see many people deviating away from the standard medieval fantasy RPG.

20. AstoXx

AstoXx Subconscious Punmaster Member

First Language:
    Logic
    Hmmm, so this HM game, Celianna... seeing as it's being made in RM, can we assume it has battles and RPG elements? Because if so, isn't that the Rune Factory series? Or are you going with the classic Harvest Moon formula (like Happy Field, another HM-inspired RM project)