Your Game Genre?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jaypee, Mar 14, 2012.

1. C Frost

C Frost Level 51 Procrastinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    For my first Ace project (and it will be my first completed project EVER... if I actually complete it of course), it's going to be a fairly traditional RPG in a fantasy setting, though I do have some (hopefully) interesting twists planned for the story, and some ideas for making the gameplay more compelling (though the main strength of any game I make would undoubtedly be the story. I think I'll be able to make it decently fun to play, but I'm no expert when it comes to scripting, or designing super complex battle systems, etc).

I guess mine is "medieval" fantasy, although like many RPGs, that general term is somewhat loose. While it accurately conveys the level of technology and some aspects of the world, there are also a number of key aspects of actual medieval European societies (social issues, in particular) that may not be present in anywhere near the same form.

To be fair, that's partly a matter of resources.

Since I found out about Ace and started planning things out, I've had a couple of base game ideas. One of them was for a far-future, dark and gritty sci-fi RPG. I decided to postpone it in favor of one of the fantasy ideas, because for a first project, adding in the complication of trying to create a well-realized sci-fi setting would make things much harder. And that's because of resources: these programs come with scores of fantasy resources, and scores more can be found online. Sci-fi and modern stuff, on the other hand, is very hard to come by. Using every last modern/sci-fi tileset I could find, I still would have a pretty hard time making the game and having the variety of areas look anywhere NEAR like what I envisioned (not to mention that, as with tilesets for any genre, two different sets by two different artists might not go well together). A lot of what's out there is just pieces, too (i.e. I'll click on a thread listed as so-and-so's sci-fi resources, and it'll be one wall and one door and that's it). And that's just tilesets: forget animations, sprites, facesets, music (though VX Ace differs from at least XP by actually providing some music that could work in such a setting, actually). For someone who cannot create their own graphics resources, a modern or sci-fi game is a daunting task.

If I can get this other project off the ground and actually make something of it, then I'll revisit the sci-fi game (since if I can complete a game, I'll have not only better RPGM skills at that point, but possibly some friends I'll have made along the way who might be able to help out, and as time goes on, the amount of freely available resources can only grow).

2. jaypee

jaypee hobbyist Veteran

First Language:
    english
    @saito s:

Hey take a deep breath and relax... :D as far as I can see the biggest challenge for you right now is to create your first game this goes same for me as well other fellow early ace errr...rpgmakervx ace members. There is nothing wrong with using the default rtp here and in fact its more than enough(hopefully) to meet your visual needs.

Since its my first rpg project I want to keep it simple and narrow my genre right now im just focusing on a simple life simulation games and let the default rtp's handle all my visual/audio needs. I already started creating my project since I already have the story brewed up since the announcement of vx ace, by doing it simple I learned how to use vx ace features even though its a turtle's pace.

By creating my first simple project I gain the following: I created my first rpg ace maker game and I learned some stuff like mapping( I used premade maps actually muahaha), eventing, story boards etc. It will probably take me like 5 or more simple projects before I can make a real serious work and look for appropriate sprites,textures, backdrops, scripts, which by itself a very time consuming work.

also dont forget to pm me if you've finished your game I would be happy to beta test it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012
    Ichi likes this.
  3. AstoXx

AstoXx Subconscious Punmaster Member

First Language:
    Logic
    Well, I think I'll keep that beta tester offer in mind, if it extends to all of us. There aren't many people willing to do something like that, so that's great!

As for my first Ace game, I've set myself the challenge of not only using nothing but the basic RTP (no pre-order extras, either) but touching the database as little as possible and only using the sample maps and dungeon generator for my mapping needs.

4. Ichi

Ichi Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Your statement here is the truth. I would love to see a few additional RTP sets, (insert Fry throwing money meme). The Samurai set seems really nice, but its not something I really plan on using anytime soon. Just reading this thread alone I can get a good feel for what the community would like to see in that regard. Steampunk, Sci-fi and modern sets would sell well I would think. I would get all three if available ^-^;; I keep going back in forth, I think I will stick with standard RTP for now, and work some magic if possible.

5. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nope, I'm not using any battles whatsoever. My project has more in common with the old Harvest Moon games, than it does with Rune Factory, but the entire thing is heavily focused on the dating-sim side of it. The only RPG elements it has, is raising relationship points with NPCs, and you ... make clothes. Then there's a few mini-games, and a way to 'touch' NPCs. And uhh, that's about it. This video portrays it better:

Lunarea and I already created a Steampunk tileset, you can find it here.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012
  6. AstoXx

AstoXx Subconscious Punmaster Member

First Language:
    Logic
    Yeah, the stuff you can do with events was basically my entire foray into XP. While I only finished the one game, which was just a collection of mini-games and arena battles, I pretty much spent that time obsessively reading up and trying out eventing systems, making a few cutscenes here and there... the one real bane that remains to this day, though is pictures. dayum pictures! I can never seem to get the co-ordinates right on those things...

Also, isn't your steampunk set for parralaxing? Not everyone has the time and skill for that and parralax mapping isn't exactly beginner material. You have to already be a competent mapper before you can takle it, really.

And on a lighter side note, I now declare us to be in a post race, Celi. Every time I manage to surpass you on the top posters, you go and post stuff so you're on top by one! So now, it's ON!

EDIT: Actually, I think I'm going to call you Celery from now on, because I can. SCHNEHEHEH.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2012
  7. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't even bother with coordinates, so I just end up making a 544x416 canvas size, and put in whatever I want to show as a picture, in its correct position. Then just use the show picture command, coordinates 0,0, and would you look at that, it's right where it's supposed to be :lol:

Yeah, the steampunk is for parallaxing, but it's not that hard to do at all. There's plenty of beginner tutorials for it as well. It takes more work and effort, but beginners can definitely do it (and have).

As for your race ... I'll let you win, because you call me Celi, and no one else does that.

8. Ichi

Ichi Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I find your over quanity of faith disturbing... :p

9. C Frost

C Frost Level 51 Procrastinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @jaypee_1: Well, thanks for the encouragement, haha. I think any beta testing is QUITE a ways off for me. My pace with this game is probably going to be fairly slow.

Ha, yeah, I'd buy scif-/modern themed add-on graphics packs, definitely. We'll see...

So you were, and that's a good point that kind of flew right past me. :lol: Yeah, it is true that mostly people tend to make traditional(or traditional-ish, at least) RPGs. Of course, that's how the software is billed, primarily; "make an RPG", but you can do a lot of other things with it. I know in my case, I'd tend toward those kinds of games simply because those are the kinds of stories I write (not just for RPG Maker, but in general). I write sci-fi and fantasy, usually serious in tone and often large in scope, so if I make a game, it's going to reflect that. That's me though; I have no idea how many people who are involved with RPG Maker get a story in their head and then build the game around it, as I do, vs. coming up with a game for its own sake, and then building a story/setting to match.

Wow! That's pretty badass, I have to say! If I ever decide to make a steampunk-y game, I know where to look. Of course, I'll have to parallax map to make use of em, but that's one of my goals, to learn how to do so effectively. And it's one reason I decided NOT to attempt to create complex parallax maps for this first project: I'll learn parallaxing on the side, for its own sake and at my own pace, for use in the future. If I try to learn it to make maps for this project, while learning about Ace, re-learning all the stuff I've gotten rusty on since my XP days, and crafting the story for the game, I don't think that will work out too well.

Yeah, I think with practice, just about anyone can do it if they really want to, though of course, some will simply get the techniques down more quickly than others (as with anything creative). And that's an interesting trick with the picture coordinates. I never thought of that; it could come in handy though! Thanks. :D

10. jaypee

jaypee hobbyist Veteran

First Language:
    english
    @Celiann:

Sorry I didnt have much time the other day to reply about this,really glad you're into life sim and after seeing your youtube video im liking it. Its one of example of a dating sim with a little element of rpg combined, this is pretty easy with rpgmaker vx ace with its tons of features and like I said im happy I bought one :D .

You can make a story where there are no monster or dragon involved such as this genre and even set it to our present time by using pictures or CUSTOM rtp's instead. I know eventing,sprite,images is pretty dauting task to do with this genre also goes the same for all but it is very rewarding experience.

11. Kilravok

Kilravok Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I am making a medieval fantasy RPG using mainly RTP and Samurai tilesets (Edit: Just got the bonus pack for ordering the full licenced version. Will most likely use them as well). It iwll be my first game, if I mannage to get it finnished. So far I have planned the first chapter, which will be uploaded as demo, once finnished. Of the mapping I need only two more dungeons and the interior of the buildings, after that its only setting down the events and maybe tweaking the database. That is the furthest I ever got with making a game, so I still have confidence of being able to get somewhere with it.

Aditional RTPs would really be usefull. I got the Samurai RPT set and found there are some tiles that still are missing, I will try to create them myself one day. The modern tile set that can be bought on the RPG Maker web page is severely insufficiant to my oppinion, but for only a quarter of the price that the Samurai set costs, I won't complain. I would definately pay for a good and complete (A1-A5, B, C, D, E) Steampunk or SciFi RTP set.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2012
  12. Samven

Samven Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    My game's genre is something between fantasy and ghost story. It's fairly high on the fantasy levels since the world's functional magic has a huge impact on it (as in, "the more powerful users of it are basically gods") but almost all of said magic runs on the power borrowed from the dearly departed. So, meyesh.

I'm very interested in modern-fantasy and magic realism, though. Throwing some kind of paranormal power into the present day is usually a way to sell me on a story.

13. Des

Des timefantasy.net Veteran

First Language:
    American
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My current mini-project (and very likely any other projects I make in the future) is an adventure game, of the classic 90s Monkey Island variety. Lots of exploration, and character interaction, puzzles that make creative use of items, and goofy humor!

14. Emmych

Emmych forever rotting in the shamecube, floating eternal Veteran

First Language:
    Anglais~
    Erotic platformer. I'll let you guess what the platforms are. B)

...vanilla fantasy RPG with some paranormal elements OTL

Although man an erotic platformer -- what would that even be?

15. Carillon Nightmares

Carillon Nightmares One-Man Operation Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm currently working on a fantasy-style RPG game, I would like to make it action style (like zelda) but it's hard to find graphics for it. But it will have difficult puzzles and boss fights about as hard as the fights in the Mother series. :)

I'm using multiple tilesets to make it a dark fantasy style, since the game intention is to be dark/mysterious. I may add some shooter-style battles to it to make it more interesting.

16. gavind

gavind Veteran Veteran

Been looking for a game that resembles Zelda. Let us know when this gets launched.

17. seiyamihara

seiyamihara Lurker Member

First Language:
    English
    My game's a simulation/strategy RPG with dating sim elements. No battles. =3 I ended up dropping them when I realized they were sort of tacked off and distracted from the game's story-based focus.

18. tpasmall

tpasmall The Mauve Avenger Veteran

First Language:
    English
    My game is a classic fantasy RPG, without magic! There are some devices that use 'Elementra' that produce magic-like effects (really similar to materia from FFVII), but there are no religious, magical or spiritistic elements in the game whatsoever. But aside from all that, yeah, it's pretty much a story driver classical style fantasy RPG.

19. Velex

Velex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm working on a fantasy-setting civilization-conquering RPG. Something akin to a mix of Mount+Blade [the video game] and Hamlet [the play].